Harry Amass | Signs professional contract

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I’m not worried about this season, he only appeared half way through. But now he’s staked his claim, worry that need season we will overuse him. He can’t play every minute of every match and i hope the fans remember that
You'd hope next season we'll have a different squad makeup and players like Mount back from injury since we'll likely be playing a lot of games. I don't see the point worrying about it yet.

NoPace

The lad isn’t ready for u23 never mind first team. Jesus
I believe you.

But Lindelof isn't "ready" to play LB either. He never will be, but he also isn't now. I'd have probably played Amrabat myself, thought he was fine there when we saw him.

Just saying we're not up against say Palace where Ayew would bully a teenager. Harry Wilson is about as good a matchup as you can pray for in the Prem with regards to physicality/pace/athleticism.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Why isn't he ready - Age, his body or quality?

A 16-years old has played as CB for Barca in the last weeks.
With respect the Spanish league is much less intense than the PL. throw into the equation that Barca are more settled than this United team. It’s easier to look after a young player in a settled side.

amass got taken off at 60m in the u18 so what makes people think he’s ready for the PL. I don’t think some of you quite get the chasm that exists between reserve football and the PL never mind youth football and the PL

However, To answer your question directly, both physically and mentally

mat85

My question is will gareth Southgate pick him now shaw is injured?

Bojan Djordjic

Haha, that’s a good one! :)

Quite frankly, I wouldn’t start anyone below the age of 16 for the first team. But starting from 16, if he is good enough, why not? Barcelona gives a lot of minutes to a 16 year old player this year, so it is possible
Barcelona have been blessed with four teenagers with 'best in the world in their position' potential coming through La Masia in recent years, players any of which could have sold for well over €100mn if Barca were wont to do so and in spite of the club's appalling financial management could actually have set the club up for future success if they had been developed with any level of precaution. Instead Barca have essentially ripped up their winning lottery ticket and burned that 400m as two of those guys Fati and Pedri are looking to be destroyed with injuries suffered from overplaying and a third one is recovering from a serious injury. Wouldn't be taking any advice from Barca on how to integrate promising young players having seen how utterly irresponsible they have been with legitimately generational talents.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
With respect the Spanish league is much less intense than the PL. throw into the equation that Barca are more settled than this United team. It’s easier to look after a young player in a settled side.

amass got taken off at 60m in the u18 so what makes people think he’s ready for the PL. I don’t think some of you quite get the chasm that exists between reserve football and the PL never mind youth football and the PL

However, To answer your question directly, both physically and mentally
Maybe got taken off at 60m to make sure he could play in the cup :smirk: .

Nick7

Why isn't he ready - Age, his body or quality?

A 16-years old has played as CB for Barca in the last weeks.
Mind, body, skill. Just because a player is good for the underage sides doesn’t mean they will make the step up immediately. A bad call up can also be incredibly harmful for young players that aren’t ready.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
One of the things I like about him is the composure when under pressure. If he can’t find a pass forward, he has no problem turning backwards. No lane for a backpass, no problem cutting inside and dribbling to find the space. He refuses to just play aimless long balls forward, no matter how tough the situation is.

A brilliant trait for a fb. Out of our first teamers Dalot rarely does it, AWB has it in him but it takes a lot of confidence. Even Shaw who has the tools doesn’t really use it as an option.

Acquire Me

Watching the U18 game now and he is definitely one for the future. Near future probably, but not a chance at this point.

saik

Scores now. Although helped by a big deflection, his run into the box was good.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
If he were Catholic he'd be Harry Atmass

If he were involved in a sexual scandal he'd be Harry Harass

If he were a fish he'd be Harry A bass

saik

Probably will go down as an own goal.

NoPace

How's he seen physically/athletically? Looks impressive on the ball.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
How's he seen physically/athletically? Looks impressive on the ball.
He's reasonably strong and will become stronger with age, but unlikely to consistently beat a fair chunk of top-tier Premier League wide operators in outright foot races. Even at U-18 level, you can glean that he relies on speed of thought and manipulation of time and space to create seperation with opposition players (rather than game-breaking explosiveness). Unless he undergoes some metamorphosis to suddenly become more rapid, reckon he's more suited to tactics where the team rotates in 4—3—3/3—2—2—3/4—4—2 shapes and he has the scope to underlap, create deft angles and get involved in intricate central or inside-channel buildups in a substantial way — as opposed to ones where's he's directed to ceaselessly overlap on the outside flank. The former would showcase his foremost strengths to a greater degree: comfort on the ball (allied with good decision-making on it), potential to operate as a press-resistant ball-magnet of sorts, seemingly inherent suitability to positional play, greater likelihood of dribbling past midfield players through the half-spaces, and so on. The likes of Martínez and Mainoo are suited to that way of football, as well.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
It’s actually pretty amazing how many similarities Amass has with (a young) Luke Shaw.

Running style with small steps almost identical, low centre of gravity, uses his body very well to shield the ball. Good close control.

Very intelligent with his runs into the box, similar to Shaw (until he almost completely stopped doing that recently). Still think he can improve a lot on one-on-one defending.

Even his frame looks very much like Shaw’s. Looks strong for his age. Hopefully he can add some further muscle and work on his pace and acceleration.

Last edited:

Borninthe80ts

He's reasonably strong and will become stronger with age, but unlikely to consistently beat a fair chunk of top-tier Premier League wide operators in outright foot races. Even at U-18 level, you can glean that he relies on speed of thought and manipulation of time and space to create seperation with opposition players (rather than game-breaking explosiveness). Unless he undergoes some metamorphosis to suddenly become more rapid, reckon he's more suited to tactics where the team rotates in 4—3—3/3—2—2—3/4—4—2 shapes and he has the scope to underlap, create deft angles and get involved in intricate central or inside-channel buildups in a substantial way — as opposed to ones where's he's directed to ceaselessly overlap on the outside flank. The former would showcase his foremost strengths to a greater degree: comfort on the ball (allied with good decision-making on it), potential to operate as a press-resistant ball-magnet of sorts, seemingly inherent suitability to positional play, greater likelihood of dribbling past midfield players through the half-spaces, and so on. The likes of Martínez and Mainoo are suited to that way of football, as well.

Really nice visuals and a good breakdown of how he influences our build up and his progressive traits. Is see similar characteristics in the lad Barco at Brighton. They are really good in tight areas and time the release of the ball and their to create space really well.

With modern full backs expected to contribute more than, as you say, overlapping runs, he can be highly influential. Will be interesting to see him move up the levels.[/QUOTE]

Ekeke

He looked a long way off the first team strength wise yesterday. On the ball yes I'm sure he'd fit in with his passing and crossing but defensively he isnt used to u21s players let alone adults who make a career of being physical like he would face in the first team. Should play a handful of u21 games before he's thrust into the first team and asked to defend at that level

Remember the geese

He looked a long way off the first team strength wise yesterday. On the ball yes I'm sure he'd fit in with his passing and crossing but defensively he isnt used to u21s players let alone adults who make a career of being physical like he would face in the first team. Should play a handful of u21 games before he's thrust into the first team and asked to defend at that level
Of course. He's still only 16. He's a terrific talent though.

In Rainbows

He would be great in a team with Mainoo. We need more press resistant talent all around the first team. I don't think Amass has shown this prodigious dynamism that I typically would favor in a fullback, but more so in press resistance for a youth player. He's like a 4th midfielder out there.

Pughnichi

If he were Catholic he'd be Harry Atmass

If he were involved in a sexual scandal he'd be Harry Harass

If he were a fish he'd be Harry A bass
If he was winding you up in the dressing room it’d be Harry An Ass

AndOr Hererra

Can’t post tweets but seen on twitter that he’s missed the U18 game today due to taking part in first team training with a view to being involved in the squad tomorrow.

Bwuk

Can’t post tweets but seen on twitter that he’s missed the U18 game today due to taking part in first team training with a view to being involved in the squad tomorrow.
I mean, there’s no-one else.

Assuming Dalot, Maguire, Kambwala & AWB all start we don’t have any other fit senior defenders. Wouldn’t be hugely surprised if he’s on the bench.