Harry Amass | Signs professional contract

King Kendrick

Supports
Eredivisie
What exactly is the risk in this particular case?
Worst case scenario would be if Amass doesn’t perform well - but it’s not like we can expect Lindelof to set the world alight at LB either. He will be poor or average at this position.
We’ve seen how much confidence and mindset affect performances and player trajectories. Throwing him in for the sake of throwing him in, when he’s not physically ready, and even though we as a fan base only expect “meh” performances, could definitely mess with both.

Alemar

We’ve seen how much confidence and mindset affect performances and player trajectories. Throwing him in for the sake of throwing him in, when he’s not physically ready, and even though we as a fan base only expect “meh” performances, could definitely mess with both.
It’s not just about “player trajectories”, it’s about 3 points. We need 3 points more than anything - and probability of getting these points may be higher with a LB than without one.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
It’s not just about “player trajectories”, it’s about 3 points. We need 3 points more than anything - and probability of getting these points may be higher with a LB than without one.
I’m proud to be a fan of a club that puts the development and well-being of the academy players above three points on a Saturday afternoon. Much more important in the long run.

Last edited:

bringbackbebe

It happens a lot on here, I've also seen people saying selling/loaning Alvaro was a mistake but he doesn't have the pace or positional awareness for the PL yet either.
Would Alvaro be better in left back than Dalot/Lindelof?

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

The best way I can describe the difference between Amass and Mainoo: Amass plays with his head down, Mainoo plays with his head up.

When he's ready Amass will be quality but he may take another 4 or 5 years. I hope I'm wrong

Pericles

I would much rather throw this kid in than have lindelof out there. He is so bad on the ball, so nervous, him and Maguire on the left had side of defense is just asking for the trouble they inevitably put themselves in.

Would like to see amass get a go
He is not physically ready. We have to think long term.

Ekeke

More physically ready and is our u21 leftback, so more experienced against closer to the level of the premier league. Dont think hes as good going forward but seems more reliable doing the job defending if we need cover

bringbackbebe

Is Alvaro on a loan with an option to buy at Benfica?
He's out, I'm just trying to be a hindsight expert and say we would have been better off retaining him and my hindsight is usually almost always correct since there's no way to disprove it.

Ekeke

He's out, I'm just trying to be a hindsight expert and say we would have been better off retaining him and my hindsight is usually almost always correct since there's no way to disprove it.
He's had 2 sub appearances over 1 minute long and hasnt done anything to suggest it was a wrong move so far. Murray is likely to be just as good cover

Sniper007

Worst case scenario would be if Amass doesn’t perform well - but it’s not like we can expect Lindelof to set the world alight at LB either. He will be poor or average at this position.
The risk isn’t really his performance in this match. It’s the fact he might not be ready to make the step up and end up having longer lasting damage on his career if he struggles.

There’s always a certain point when a player is “ready” to make that step up. Every player is ready at a different time. Right now, the better way to bring him in is bring him on if we are leading by a couple with 20 mins to go. Low pressure situations.

Reactions: sizzling sausages

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I’m proud to be a fan of a club that puts the development and well-being of the academy players above three points on a Saturday afternoon. Much more important in the long run.
Same. Have you listened to one of the recent Talk of the Devils podcasts with Nick Cox on it? Was a very good listen and encouraging too, hearing him talk about more than winning itself the core directive of the management of the youth teams is to develop and look after the players, more than anything.

top1whoisman

Scout
Same. Have you listened to one of the recent Talk of the Devils podcasts with Nick Cox on it? Was a very good listen and encouraging too, hearing him talk about more than winning itself the core directive of the management of the youth teams is to develop and look after the players, more than anything.
Yeah, he’s been on quite a few podcasts lately. Always a good listen, love how he approaches his role and the academy operations. I know there are sceptics that find his appearances self-serving etc., but I think it’s fascinating and refreshing to hear about the views from his position.

Bertie Wooster

He's had 2 sub appearances over 1 minute long and hasnt done anything to suggest it was a wrong move so far. Murray is likely to be just as good cover
Is that just the league games you're including?

In their Europa League last 16 tie he started for an hour in the first leg, and was a half time sub in the second. And they went through, so he's getting game time in the second biggest European competition.

Don't think Murray would be 'just as good cover'. Fernandez is 18 months older and has gained experience at Preston in the championship, Granada in La Liga, and now Benfica; while Sam Murray is on a part-time loan with Rochdale in non-league. And if they were to leave permanently, those are the comparative types of levels I'd expect them to move to.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Yeah, he’s been on quite a few podcasts lately. Always a good listen, love how he approaches his role and the academy operations. I know there are sceptics that find his appearances self-serving etc., but I think it’s fascinating and refreshing to hear about the views from his position.
Yeah I really enjoyed listening to him discuss the academy teams and what he feels are his responsibilities. Always good hearing from those in positions like that as you say.

Alemar

Right now, the better way to bring him in is bring him on if we are leading by a couple with 20 mins to go. Low pressure situations.
We don’t have “low pressure situations” this season. Even when we win (and it happens often lately, it needs to be said), it’s usually a tight game with a lot of pressure.

Alemar

To be fair, @Alemar would start a 12 year old for United if he felt they were promising!
Haha, that’s a good one! :)

Quite frankly, I wouldn’t start anyone below the age of 16 for the first team. But starting from 16, if he is good enough, why not? Barcelona gives a lot of minutes to a 16 year old player this year, so it is possible

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
The risk is not how he performs but what we do to his body competing at the intensity of the PL against grown men. There is a chasm in difference between reserves and PL playing time.

golden_blunder

Staff
Haha, that’s a good one! :)

Quite frankly, I wouldn’t start anyone below the age of 16 for the first team. But starting from 16, if he is good enough, why not? Barcelona gives a lot of minutes to a 16 year old player this year, so it is possible
With respect, the Spanish league plays at a much slower pace than the PL. it’s not the same.

top1whoisman

Scout
The risk is not how he performs but what we do to his body competing at the intensity of the PL against grown men. There is a chasm in difference between reserves and PL playing time.
And I’d point even more towards the potential mental affects in case he had a bad game. Sir Alex often spoke about this and how careful he needed to be when throwing a young player in the deep end.

The context matters a lot, and us missing our LCBs + Rashford not tracking back that much could result in him having a horrible first experience in the first team, that could crush his confidence.

Last edited:

bringbackbebe

Can’t disprove it, no, but your nick doesn’t lend you much credibility in the matter, that’s gotta be said
I'm being sarcastic. Of course he won't be a better option especially with our style of play. We'll leak goals down that side.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

More physically ready and is our u21 leftback, so more experienced against closer to the level of the premier league. Dont think hes as good going forward but seems more reliable doing the job defending if we need cover
I think think this is a sensible solution. He’s not likely to be our long term left back, but he’s our reserve one and we are in need. Bring him in to the squad cover for a couple of games until Wan-Bissaka gets back.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
You can tell who does and doesn’t watch the youth teams when someone’s trying to argue Sam Murray is better than Fernandez, Murray’s an awful player, even at youth level.

Ekeke

Is that just the league games you're including?

In their Europa League last 16 tie he started for an hour in the first leg, and was a half time sub in the second. And they went through, so he's getting game time in the second biggest European competition.

Don't think Murray would be 'just as good cover'. Fernandez is 18 months older and has gained experience at Preston in the championship, Granada in La Liga, and now Benfica; while Sam Murray is on a part-time loan with Rochdale in non-league. And if they were to leave permanently, those are the comparative types of levels I'd expect them to move to.
I meant to include all his gametime at Benfica since his move, but you're right what I said was incorrect as I read it wrong. So thats 4 games of 20 mins+, and theres 3 with minimal minutes on top of that

Fernandez spent most of his games in Spain as a left midfielder. He was defensively suspect as is and playing further forward doesnt help that. It suggests that managers arent even considering him a leftback

The point of cover is to come in and do a decent job when you have a lack of availability. Alvarez is lacking defensively while Murray looks like he likes to defend and that would cause less problems for the senior players

Ekeke

You can tell who does and doesn’t watch the youth teams when someone’s trying to argue Sam Murray is better than Fernandez, Murray’s an awful player, even at youth level.
Fernandez was an awful defender. Also learn to read and if you were watching any you'd have seen me posting in those threads at the time and saying he was poor at it.

Why do you think we have sent him on loan with an obligation to buy when we have had a season full of leftback injuries? I guess it'll remain one of life's mysteries to you.

golden_blunder

Staff
And I’d point even more towards the potential mental affects in case he had a bad game. Sir Alex often spoke about this and how careful he needed to be when throwing a young player in the deep end.

The context matters a lot, and us missing our LCBs + Rashford not tracking back that much could result in him having a horrible first experience in the first team, that could crush his confidence.
Absolutely, a stable environment is much better for development. Chuck him in now, if we get beaten he feels the heat too. It can break him before he’s got started

Alemar

Chuck him in now, if we get beaten he feels the heat too. It can break him before he’s got started
That’s right. But on the other hand, if we win he feels involved and gets his share of praise, and it will be a good foundation to keep moving forward.

RuudTom83

I think in an injury crisis at LB, Lindelof, Amrabat and Kambwala would all start ahead of a 16 year old tbh.

The physical challenge of Premier League football can’t be ignored.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Fernandez was an awful defender. Also learn to read and if you were watching any you'd have seen me posting in those threads at the time and saying he was poor at it.

Why do you think we have sent him on loan with an obligation to buy when we have had a season full of leftback injuries? I guess it'll remain one of life's mysteries to you.
Murray's far worse, he's dreadful. Alvaro's twice the player, it's genuinely mental anyone would think otherwise. Then again I don't lie about watching players.