Harry Amass | Signs professional contract

United888

We have an out side chance, yes villa and spurs are on a blip but they won’t be for rest of season and we near enough have to win about 10/13 of our remaining games to stand any chance, still have city arsenal Liverpool to play, and recent history shows we can’t stay consistent enough.

We are in a position where we can play some youngster with some but no major pressure on them all while preparing for the rebuild and “the new era”
We are only 3 points and 5 points behind Spurs and Villa. That's not big points gaps to cover. With those points difference, the league is nowhere near a dead rubber

United888

Can't see us starting him because it's too risky. But if he's ready enough then ETH will start or play him like what he did to Mainoo and also Kambwala vs West Ham away.

KevinJoh

Age does not matter, but body does. The most important thing for young lads at that age is to not get them injured cause you put them in situation to play against grown ups in high intensity game, with serious tackles. He does not look like he is ready for senior football, and he still has not been introduced to U21 which should be next step. Also, he just had a few training sessions with the first team, which is great but far away from playing against PL teams in official game. Lets not ruin the talented kid with expectations.

didz

I'll be surprised if he ends the season without a few first team minutes now. Our injury list will get bigger, not smaller, and we'll be left with very little option besides.

He's probably quick and agile enough for the step up as is, but injuries and fatigue are the worry. Kobbie is still withdrawn after an hour more often than not - he's a lot more developed physically and has been in the first team picture just over a year now. Amass has been there about two weeks.

In Rainbows

Age does not matter, but body does. The most important thing for young lads at that age is to not get them injured cause you put them in situation to play against grown ups in high intensity game, with serious tackles. He does not look like he is ready for senior football, and he still has not been introduced to U21 which should be next step. Also, he just had a few training sessions with the first team, which is great but far away from playing against PL teams in official game. Lets not ruin the talented kid with expectations.
Not playing for the u21s isn't a big deterrent. Rashford, and Greenwood largely ignored the u23 that process. Greenwood played only 8 matches, which isn't much.

The problem is that Amass is 16 years old. Rashford skipped u21s to first team at 18 years old. Greenwood at 17.5 years old. I don't feel like his body is ready for that sort of jump. People will have to taper expectations, in that he would be playing far more reserved because he won't be able to use his body to keep the ball away as well as he does, nor will he be able to burn people with speed, etc...

KevinJoh

Not playing for the u21s isn't a big deterrent. Rashford, and Greenwood largely ignored the u23 that process. Greenwood played only 8 matches, which isn't much.

The problem is that Amass is 16 years old. Rashford skipped u21s to first team at 18 years old. Greenwood at 17.5 years old. I don't feel like his body is ready for that sort of jump. People will have to taper expectations, in that he would be playing far more reserved because he won't be able to use his body to keep the ball away as well as he does, nor will he be able to burn people with speed, etc...
agree, but even a few games in U23 (at that time) was enough to see they don't have problem against a few years older players. Also both are playing in attack where you don't need that much in terms of tactical knowledge, and can do with pace and movements to avoid duels. Defenders have to rely on strength as well, while also tactical part is even more important, movements, experience. I don't want to have him on the pitch to have a bad game and than kill his confidence. He will be ready soon, but lets wait for that, test him in U21 and a friendly or two. Maybe some easier game or last 10 minutes when we are 3 up (if that ever happens).

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
I'll be surprised if he ends the season without a few first team minutes now. Our injury list will get bigger, not smaller, and we'll be left with very little option besides.

He's probably quick and agile enough for the step up as is, but injuries and fatigue are the worry. Kobbie is still withdrawn after an hour more often than not - he's a lot more developed physically and has been in the first team picture just over a year now. Amass has been there about two weeks.
No he isn’t - since the Liverpool game, he’s appeared 11 times, played 90 minutes in 7 of them (including the last 2) been subbed at 81’, 80’, 63’ and 45’

The 63’ was when we were cruising against West Ham a few games a go.

Dan_F

We have an out side chance, yes villa and spurs are on a blip but they won’t be for rest of season and we near enough have to win about 10/13 of our remaining games to stand any chance, still have city arsenal Liverpool to play, and recent history shows we can’t stay consistent enough.

We are in a position where we can play some youngster with some but no major pressure on them all while preparing for the rebuild and “the new era”
So you’re expecting Spurs to win 9 of their 13 remaining, even though they play Villa, Liverpool, Arsenal, city, Newcastle? They’ve failed to beat wolves and Everton this month.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
agree, but even a few games in U23 (at that time) was enough to see they don't have problem against a few years older players. Also both are playing in attack where you don't need that much in terms of tactical knowledge, and can do with pace and movements to avoid duels. Defenders have to rely on strength as well, while also tactical part is even more important, movements, experience. I don't want to have him on the pitch to have a bad game and than kill his confidence. He will be ready soon, but lets wait for that, test him in U21 and a friendly or two. Maybe some easier game or last 10 minutes when we are 3 up (if that ever happens).
Greenwood didn't really standout at U23 level when he did play, I remember he got absolutely bullied against Wolves in one game. Rashford only had 1 goal for the U21s/U23s, I don't remember him particularly standing out either.

Ekeke

I've seen a handful of academy games with him playing and I think he's talented for a leftback with the ball. I havent really taken note of him defensively though. So for those who have watched him more than me is he actually good at defending?

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Greenwood didn't really standout at U23 level when he did play, I remember he got absolutely bullied against Wolves in one game. Rashford only had 1 goal for the U21s/U23s, I don't remember him particularly standing out either.
MG played eight games in total for our U21s, scoring five goals and assisting two in them.

Rashford made two starts for our U21s in total, so not a huge sample size either.

Gordon S

CBJ did well for us for a few games there under Louie. He was about 18 so a bit older but, at the same time, if i were to guess, not even half as talented as Harry. Luke Shaw started his senior career about 17 yo. Wasn`t Ryan Sessegnon about 17 when he started as left back for Fulham as well? It would still be crazy to give Harry his debut already this weekend but other kids have done it and done well in the past.

didz

No he isn’t - since the Liverpool game, he’s appeared 11 times, played 90 minutes in 7 of them (including the last 2) been subbed at 81’, 80’, 63’ and 45’

The 63’ was when we were cruising against West Ham a few games a go.
Fair cop. I do think the general point stands though.

CBJ did well for us for a few games there under Louie. He was about 18 so a bit older but, at the same time, if i were to guess, not even half as talented as Harry. Luke Shaw started his senior career about 17 yo. Wasn`t Ryan Sessegnon about 17 when he started as left back for Fulham as well? It would still be crazy to give Harry his debut already this weekend but other kids have done it and done well in the past.
He was a big fella though wasn't he? That whole age group at the time seemed to be pretty physically developed early on, with Fosu-Mensah the big standout in that regard.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I'd be shocked to see us throwing into the first team mixer this season - regardless of how good he's been for the academy.

Too many high pressure games to come, not enough games to give him minutes off the bench.

OleGunnar20

I've seen a handful of academy games with him playing and I think he's talented for a leftback with the ball. I havent really taken note of him defensively though. So for those who have watched him more than me is he actually good at defending?
From the little I've seen yes, he looks a very good defender at that level. Anticipates play well, isn't afraid to get stuck in and just seems intelligent enough to make the defending look easy. Whether that translates to the Senior game at his age is the big question I suppose.

As another poster mentioned it's his physicality which would concern me. He isn't fast to begin with and doesn't look developed enough to deal with the strength of even your average senior player. For that reason I'd be very hesitant about putting him in.

People say Shaw was playing first team football at not much older than him, but if memory serves he was always quite a strong kid, which makes a massive difference to base line ability to play in the senior game, especially in England.

I'm usually all for integrating promising youngsters but worry this season is just too early for him. Alvaro would have been the ideal man to keep around really in hindsight.

greater wall

I'd be shocked to see us throwing into the first team mixer this season - regardless of how good he's been for the academy.

Too many high pressure games to come, not enough games to give him minutes off the bench.
I'd say there's a zero chance of him playing in the senior side this season. He's a kid and not physically developed yet. Looks at least 2 to 3 years away to the first team.

NotQuiteManc

Too early to play for the first team, but training with them for the last few games of the season would be a good experience for him, and perhaps sit on the bench.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Pretty sure away to Wolves was his debut and he scored. He also scored a brilliant free kick at St James' Park.
Think he did score but that was about all he managed that game, Iorfa handled him extremely well.

Remember the geese

Think he did score but that was about all he managed that game, Iorfa handled him extremely well.
Yes, Iorfa had a good game from what I recall. Although has to be said that it was a 23 year old Iorfa up against a recently turned 17 year old on debut away from home.

Ekeke

From the little I've seen yes, he looks a very good defender at that level. Anticipates play well, isn't afraid to get stuck in and just seems intelligent enough to make the defending look easy. Whether that translates to the Senior game at his age is the big question I suppose.

As another poster mentioned it's his physicality which would concern me. He isn't fast to begin with and doesn't look developed enough to deal with the strength of even your average senior player. For that reason I'd be very hesitant about putting him in.

People say Shaw was playing first team football at not much older than him, but if memory serves he was always quite a strong kid, which makes a massive difference to base line ability to play in the senior game, especially in England.

I'm usually all for integrating promising youngsters but worry this season is just too early for him. Alvaro would have been the ideal man to keep around really in hindsight.
Yeah I'm sure Sam Murray is better physically, I've seen him use his body well and he'll happily get physical with opponents at u21 level.

Rojofiam

I think it's way too early for him.

It's probably not the best thing for his development to be thrown into PL football when we are in a high stakes race for top 4 / 5.

If there's nothing to play for in the last 2 or 3 fixtures, I wouldn't mind him and a few other youngsters featuring, like when José played the likes of Castro Pereira, Mitchell, Gomes, Harrop, and a few others vs Palace in 2017, but at this point in the campaign, every match is incredibly important. Amass hasn't even turned 17 yet, this is not the optimal time for him to be introduced to the PL and first team football.

Crimson King

There's plenty of time for him to mature physically at 16. Hopefully that will include adding a bit of pace and power to his running.

Some kids are just there already at 16/17. Shaw was, and the best example is obviously Rooney. He was a boy in a man's body at 16.

In Rainbows

MG played eight games in total for our U21s, scoring five goals and assisting two in them.

Rashford made two starts for our U21s in total, so not a huge sample size either.
Yeah, his record for the u23s was really good in those limited appearances. If that's not being influential, then I feel bad for most strikers going to u23 level who do a lot worse. We had freaking Sbragia at the helm. That was a handicap for all the attackers.

Gordon S

Fair cop. I do think the general point stands though.

He was a big fella though wasn't he? That whole age group at the time seemed to be pretty physically developed early on, with Fosu-Mensah the big standout in that regard.
I would guess Cameron was a bit taller then compared to Harry now, but he was also on the thinner side if my memory serves me right.
It is far from ideal throwing a young player like him into the deep end, specially when we are treating every game like a cupfinal and there is a lot of pressure. But the never ending injuries to our full backs puts us in a shite position, and here we are, at least discussing the possibility. For good reason.
We`ve seen Lindelöf and Amrabat try that position a few times this season and it usually looks very akward, makes me sweat just thinking about it. And also throwing into the mix the epiphany of watching the slightly older Kobbie Mainoo cruising around midfield against grown men and absolutely bossing it.
I am about 98,6% sure Lindelöf will start there on saturday, but it is at least an interesting thought and discussion.

daveskimufc

I would much rather throw this kid in than have lindelof out there. He is so bad on the ball, so nervous, him and Maguire on the left had side of defense is just asking for the trouble they inevitably put themselves in.

Would like to see amass get a go

MrBest

Never seen him play so won't pretend to be an expert, only seen a few videos on the YouTube.

From a completely top level view, positive would be hungry fiery kid, something we lack. His body type appears ready, could be useful for him to appear even on the bench. The negatives, he will get overrun by men, could destroy his career and confidence if it dont go well, the caf will burden him a failure if he does not do well.

Either way ETH has a tough decision to make. Personally, I'd play Amrabat there. Seemed to do well against palce on league cup drifting as a CM too.

SungSam7

I'd take playing Amass over Lindloff to be honest. I also don't like having invested full backs so it's nice to have a left footed left back coming through. Did not feel comfortable with Williams when he came through.

I do hope that the management team offer this kid some reassuring sports therapy. We are desperate but we must protect the mental state of the player, considering there will be a lot of pressure to get into the top 4.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Has he amassed the required skillset to be involved with the first team. Probably needs U21 exposure first.

OleGunnar20

There's plenty of time for him to mature physically at 16. Hopefully that will include adding a bit of pace and power to his running.

Some kids are just there already at 16/17. Shaw was, and the best example is obviously Rooney. He was a boy in a man's body at 16.
Absolutely. Being ready at that age us an outlier, not the norm. I think Amass looks a cracking prospect.

Red00012

Too early to play for the first team, but training with them for the last few games of the season would be a good experience for him, and perhaps sit on the bench.
He’s trained with the first team today we are a Lindelof injury away from utilizing him .

Alemar

Is Amass ready to start vs Fulham? We bloody need a left back now.

laughtersassassin

Personally I'd rather give this guy a go versus Fulham then play a centre back at left back. Especially when it'll be a right footed centre back as well

Alemar

I wouldn't say so personally, I can't see ten Hag risking it either.
What exactly is the risk in this particular case?
Worst case scenario would be if Amass doesn’t perform well - but it’s not like we can expect Lindelof to set the world alight at LB either. He will be poor or average at this position.

pascell

What exactly is the risk in this particular case?
Worst case scenario would be if Amass doesn’t perform well - but it’s not like we can expect Lindelof to set the world alight at LB either. He will be poor or average at this position.
Him not being ready and getting torn to shreds each game?

No way we should be risking it, he has barely even played for the u21s and doesn't have the pace yet to be dealing with the rigors of the PL.

I'm a fan of him but just because we have a few injuries, doesn't mean he should be thrown in at the deep end.