Harry Kane backing into defenders

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
England captain privilege. No doubt the commentators chuckled and dismissed it as ‘leaving his calling card on the Arsenal defender’. Or ‘just letting the Brazilian know what the North London derby is all about’.

SinNombre

And let's be honest, if he were to be at United, he would get sent off every time.

England captain at a smaller club getting away with stuff privilege.

RUCK4444

He really is a such sneaky fecking coward.

What you'd want to do as a centre back is have a quiet word in his ear at a corner about shattering his glass ankles in return if he tries that on you.
Yeah he’s a dirty fecker when things aren’t going his way.

Ludens the Red

England captain privilege. No doubt the commentators chuckled and dismissed it as ‘leaving his calling card on the Arsenal defender’. Or ‘just letting the Brazilian know what the North London derby is all about’.
:lol: That was literally what was said

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Can you imagine the uproar if Maguire was caught on camera doing that?
To be fair, you probably picked the wrong United player. Maguire would need to give someone a suplex to get sent off. He was still being protected from ‘he’s not that type of player’ syndrome when he wasn’t sent off at Stamford Bridge last season, and how he doesn’t give a penalty away every other game is beyond me as he’s basically a wrestler in the box!

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
:lol: That was literally what was said
Just watching the game now and saw it. What is remarkable is that it happened about 15 seconds before Lamela got sent off for the exact same thing. In fact, Kane’s was worse.

Brightonian

To be fair, you probably picked the wrong United player. Maguire would need to give someone a suplex to get sent off. He was still being protected from ‘he’s not that type of player’ syndrome when he wasn’t sent off at Stamford Bridge last season, and how he doesn’t give a penalty away every other game is beyond me as he’s basically a wrestler in the box!
I don't agree with the wrestler in the box thing, for me he's about the same as pretty much every PL CB in that regard - they all do it, and they all get away with it most of the time, and the inconsistency of it being punished is on the refs, who can't seem to make their minds up on where the line between tussling and fouling is.

But now that you mention it a few Maguire incidents are coming to mind so you're probably right that I should have picked a different player! I still think if a video of Maguire doing something as blatant and clearly deliberate as that Kane bodyslam was out on the internet, we'd be seeing it everywhere. I'm not actually sure I've ever really seen Maguire try and hurt someone with obvious malice like that, although I have a crap memory and stand to be corrected.

Godfather

He really is a such sneaky fecking coward.

What you'd want to do as a centre back is have a quiet word in his ear at a corner about shattering his glass ankles in return if he tries that on you.
Exactly. Or accidently stepping on his ankles at every opportunity if he tries that once.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
We will just end up with 5-10 penalties every game, with Maguire winning so many of them. People said the same thing for Smalling and he barely conceded penalty because of shirt pulling or holding players while defending set piece.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
It's a disgusting challenge with zero intention to play the ball, no surprise though Kane been getting away with similar for years. When you're seemingly totally above the law on the pitch you would, wouldn't you?

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Why does Gabriel turn his head the opposite way to where he's passing it. Is he really doing some sort of no-look pass in that situation?

Kane's 'challenge' is completely unnecessary though. Was it even a free kick?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We will just end up with 5-10 penalties every game, with Maguire winning so many of them. People said the same thing for Smalling and he barely conceded penalty because of shirt pulling or holding players while defending set piece.
There is a level of it that is part of the game, but at the same time, penalties are still given for dragging down in the box. Maguire had a much discussed one this season, against Chelsea again I think where he had his arm around a neck and was quite fortunate. But admittedly, it’s nothing like what Kane gets away with. Vardy is another protected player for some reason.

Mike Smalling

I'm disliking Kane more and more every week. Phenomenal player, but seems to be a bit of a scrote.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
That one is just straight up snidey, but the premeditated ones when the other player is jumping and he backs into him — those ones are extremely dangerous and it’s beyond me how he hasn’t been caught on those yet.

I’m hoping he’s cut them out since social media brought them up?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
There is a level of it that is part of the game, but at the same time, penalties are still given for dragging down in the box. Maguire had a much discussed one this season, against Chelsea again I think where he had his arm around a neck and was quite fortunate. But admittedly, it’s nothing like what Kane gets away with. Vardy is another protected player for some reason.
Yes, in the same game both Maguire and McTominay were held by Chelsea players too.

Few incidents gets too much attention and few don't.

RashyForPM

Thats a borderline red card no?

He just poleaxes him with no intention other than to leave a mark on him
I think more than borderline tbf. That can do as much damage as a two footer. Would have done if Gabriel didn’t try to shirk it. That’s an elbow half to the neck and half to the back. He did his backing thing into Gabriel in the reverse fixture too.

King of England won’t get sent off though. Great, world class player, mind, but very dirty.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I really don't think its that bad, he's just gone for a strong barge and didn't expect the Arsenal players head to be that low. Unlucky more then anything, but even then he's caught him with his upper arm... he's hardly smashed into him with his elbow Ben Thatcher style or anything.

A booking at most.

There's a bit of a weird witch hunt around Kane, probably because he's the England captain and he does that backing into players thing (which by the way loads of people do, but I guess he does it a fair bit and is high profile) but he's hardly this dirty fecker running around doing people. He's a bit snide sure, but then who isn't?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
If Gabriel stayed down and rolled around, he would have been in big trouble with VAR I suspect.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I really don't think its that bad, he's just gone for a strong barge and didn't expect the Arsenal players head to be that low. Unlucky more then anything, but even then he's caught him with his upper arm... he's hardly smashed into him with his elbow Ben Thatcher style or anything.

A booking at most.

There's a bit of a weird witch hunt around Kane, probably because he's the England captain and he does that backing into players thing (which by the way loads of people do, but I guess he does it a fair bit and is high profile) but he's hardly this dirty fecker running around doing people. He's a bit snide sure, but then who isn't?
There's a big difference between trying to win a strength / shoulder barge for a 50/50 ball, or purposely body checking somebody you know is going to be off balance and unable to protect themselves while kicking the ball.

Kane knows exactly what he's doing in that situation and he's gone to leave 1 on the defender as "innocently" as possible.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

A booking at most.

Finally somebody with a sense of balance. The stuff Kane gets thrown at him is ridiculous, he is a quiet, unassuming, professional and polite lad who also happens to be England's best player for many years which makes him a target for some reason.

NinjaFletch

A booking at most.

It's one of those ones that if he had been sent off for it you couldn't argue with it, but by the same token referees seem never to give the slightest shit about it all the same.

So yeah yellow would seem reasonable given how these things are reffed historically.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
There's a big difference between trying to win a strength / shoulder barge for a 50/50 ball, or purposely body checking somebody you know is going to be off balance and unable to protect themselves while kicking the ball.

Kane knows exactly what he's doing in that situation and he's gone to leave 1 on the defender as "innocently" as possible.
I mean yeah he's gone to barge him / leave one in a bit and you're right in that he knows what he's doing... but that's football isn't it? Hell I've see Juan Mata slide in/kick someone completely unnecessarily before.

Basically just think there's a bit of an over-reaction to it because it's Harry Kane (I mean even that tweet is "Surely Kane can't keep getting away with this" as if he's committed some heinous act... when really he's just barged someone a bit forcefully).

The backing into players in the air is a much, much worse offence.

arnie_ni

4mins in and he's backed into maguire already although he wasn't jumping.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
The stuff he gets away with are ridiculous. Does Premier league owes something to him so they avoid sending him off?

As much as I hate Robertson, that was a clear red card, how many times do we have to see this from Kane before he gets a red card?

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
The stuff he gets away with are ridiculous. Does Premier league owes something to him so they avoid sending him off?

As much as I hate Robertson, that was a clear red card, how many times do we have to see this from Kane before he gets a red card?
Not really, but he is the biggest/best english star of the league(not this season, but before), so there is a level of favoritism to it imo.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
England captain bonus. Gerrard got something like 14 penalties in the 13/14 season.

With Kane it’s particularly bad because he has such a snide side to his game, which he just thinks gives him a winning mentality despite having never won anything.