Harry Kane backing into defenders

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I think when he reads your post he thinks you have said that Shearer did all those things.

InfiniteBoredom

It always irks me greatly when dangerous and/or scummy behaviours in sports are overlooked/not addressed due to the authority being reluctant to retroactively punish them. Players would have to think twice before committing to these kind of play if they knew a ban would happen once caught in camera.

Amend the rules so a panel of referees/experts can retroactively examine incidences and dole out punishment after every match day and this should be reduced greatly. As it is whenever one of these thing becomes a topic, it just attracts inane arguments mostly borne out of tribalism when the focus shouldn’t be about individual players but the system they are operating under.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
It was at the time I wrote it because I was a bit annoyed at what I saw as an ongoing agenda against Kane and this is the latest thing to hit him with. On reflection it probably wasn't the greatest post I have ever made.
Probably the most introspective anyone on this forum has ever been :lol:

Sylar

If pundits (eg Sky Sports) make a big deal of it, then the refs will start to take notice and it will be picked up more and more.

RyRoc

I can see now that it is dangerous play (now with a day or two to look at it and get off my high horse) however I don't agree that he is deliberately going out to hurt people - it's part of his game to use his physicality to his advantage but perhaps on reflection he does need to think a bit more about what could happen to the other player.
I don't think many people think he is deliberately going out to injure a player but his actions if he carries on will eventually have consequences and when they do we will probably hear from the English media how Harry is not that sort of player and make it seem like he is the victim despite the fact he has broken someones neck from something he has been doing for months. Amazing player but this is a nasty side to his game that people are absolutely right to call out.

GueRed

It's not a "battle" though. There's nothing physical about it.

It's Kane waiting until a player is completely vulnerable and then up-ending him. What's macho about that?
defenders should/will wise up then.

dig a couple of knuckles in the side of his ribs and lets see whats happens then..

spiriticon

If I was the defender, I'd just land on top of him.

He can take the impact for my fall.

Denis' cuff

amazing how often refs let this go. An absolute cnuts move. No intention of playing the ball and every chance of a bad injury. This is what started the Vieira/van Nistelrooy fracas. A 6’2” + player with no intention of attempting a header but purely intent on injuring a player By making a back for him.

GueRed

How do you dig knuckles into the ribs of someone who is backing into your knees when you’re jumping to head a football?
beforehand

or even better when you crash on top of him a sly knee in a sensitive spot

that'll make him think twice

spiriticon

beforehand

or even better when you crash on top of him a sly knee in a sensitive spot

that'll make him think twice
Exactly this. Just land elbows or knees first into his back. The aftermatch bruises will teach him

Eugenius

Drogba tried to do the same thing to Evans, who rightly kung fu kicked him in the chest. Drogba was in fact the one who got booked!

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Drogba tried to do the same thing to Evans, who rightly kung fu kicked him in the chest. Drogba was in fact the one who got booked!

For a usually clean player that was terrible from Evans.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
It's not a "battle" though. There's nothing physical about it.

It's Kane waiting until a player is completely vulnerable and then up-ending him. What's macho about that?
It is a cowardly move from a total flange.

Eugenius

For a usually clean player that was terrible from Evans.
Don't think Evans is a very clean player to be fair! I think he injured the Bolton lad Holden 10 years ago, and I think a very bad straight red on McT (?) last game of the season last year.

RashyForPM

Obviously that would have hurt, but did he really need to react as if he had a seizure with the ridiculous limb movements on the ground? :lol: Never been kicked in the chest and never want to be though, so obviously I wouldn’t know.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Obviously that would have hurt, but did he really need to react as if he had a seizure with the ridiculous limb movements on the ground? :lol: Never been kicked in the chest and never want to be though, so obviously I wouldn’t know.
Drogba would often do that. Many a times he fooled me he could be out for a few weeks only to miraculously recover. I got more injured with hope than he did physically.

In the clip it looks like he is determined to flatten Evans. Either an ongoing battle or something Evans did to him earlier or he did to Evans earlier. But Evans saw it coming a mile away and 'did the right thing'.

RashyForPM

Drogba would often do that. Many a times he fooled me he could be out for a few weeks only to miraculously recover. I got more injured with hope than he did physically.

In the clip it looks like he is determined to flatten Evans. Either an ongoing battle or something Evans did to him earlier or he did to Evans earlier. But Evans saw it coming a mile away and 'did the right thing'.
Tbf, Drogba was a snide bell on the pitch, and I’m still annoyed by that offside goal in 2010 at OT (OOTT of course). I’m sorry but he had that kick coming considering he was genuinely trying to injure Evans. Pain lasting for 5 minutes is better than a possible broken neck or back for Evans anyway, who obviously isn’t the cleanest player himself.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Don't think Evans is a very clean player to be fair! I think he injured the Bolton lad Holden 10 years ago, and I think a very bad straight red on McT (?) last game of the season last year.
The Holden incident was a 50/50 ball that both players went in studs up recklessly. One ended up hurt and the ref played off that bit where as both could have been sent off.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Have you ever been winded, I mean winded properly? You literally cant get a breath and do think you are dying, always loved Evans so I am on his side. :lol:

Charlie Foley

Amazing what people will defend just because the person doing it has the 'right' jersey on. If someone did that to a Spurs player the same people would be pissing and moaning about it.

It's a scumbag move. He's not the only one who does it but he is one of the ones who does it so he deserves to be criticised for it. If someone injures him with a Zuniga style knee I'll have zero sympathy for him, he could break someone's neck.

diarm

I remember that game. Drogba had tried the same trick a couple of times before and that time Evans was waiting for him.

Love the clip of Vidic grinning on the sideline - you know he loved a bit of that!

Web of Bissaka

He is doing exactly the same thing that generations of centre forwards have done over the years. They literally get taught to do it.
You're not wrong.

Football is getting softer and softer. We need to protect players from getting injuries!!!!
Maybe not play this game..?
Every physical sport carries risks of injuries. Football is not the worst.

20 years later, we shall play soft touch football, minimal contacts and risk free.
It's like the soft touch rugby, minimal contacts.

That said, it's a dick move by Kane admittedly. The decent thing he can do is to try and catch the defenders falling after backing them.
I never like it, defenders should always be aware of this and prepare themselves to jump and land safer.

Foxbatt

I have seen it a few times now and `I never thought about it but in slow motion you can see that he is looking at the defender deliberately and then backing into him and also bending down so the defender goes over his head. He is going to injure someone very soon. This is not a spur of the moment kick in anger at something that has happened on the pitch. This is pre meditated.
It is not the backing into defenders that is the main issue. It is him bending down. It is like a judo throw. It is very dangerous play and I hope the referees will now take notice of this.

As for Drogba nothing will beat his tango with Jens Lehmann.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
He had a fractured rib from that - as someone who has done the same via a skiing accident, I'd not begrudge Drogba's reaction. Easily the most pain I've felt and it's unlike other injuries where you can immobilize the site - obviously you can't stop yourself breathing and at least for me personally I had to employ coping mechanisms to deal with the pain.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
He had a fractured rib from that - as someone who has done the same via a skiing accident, I'd not begrudge Drogba's reaction. Easily the most pain I've felt and it's unlike other injuries where you can immobilize the site - obviously you can't stop yourself breathing and at least for me personally I had to employ coping mechanisms to deal with the pain.
Can confirm, a broken rub is no joke. 8 weeks of constant pain afterwards aint great.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Two pretty bad examples from the match today - as a neutral I thought Lacazette's was slightly more defensible because I don't think he ever saw Pogba coming and it seemed like he thought he was backing into Fred as he never took his eyes off the ball. Personally though I thought Maguire was incredibly lucky to avoid a second yellow at minimum for the challenge on Lacazette in injury time - he certainly can't argue that he didn't know what he was doing because everything was unfolding in front of him.

Regardless, it's clear the laws have to be changed here - there are very few actions on a football pitch that are more deserving of being labeled as dangerous play. In the NBA undercutting an opponent is more or less an automatic flagrant 2 (i.e. the equivalent of a red card, resulting in ejection from the game and a fine); there's no reason why this shouldn't be the case in football given the increased focus on head injuries & their repercussions.