Harry Kane | Bayern Munich player

Member 101269

Well that simply isn't true because he pushed to leave Spurs a couple of summers ago. The only reason he didn't move is because they blocked the transfer.
Now you're reinventing him being at Spurs for 19 years for the sake of speculation over a moment in that 19 years. That is one heck of a stretch

It will be a piece of piss for him. He went on strike to force a move out of there. Getting Spurs to sell is the hard part.
Him? You mean a home boy married to a home girl, so it wouldn't be easy to change that mentality.

CM

Now you're reinventing him being at Spurs for 19 years for the sake of speculation over a moment in that 19 years. That is one heck of a stretch
It wasn't speculation. He's been at Spurs for a long time but I don't see the relevance.

Every media outlet in the country reported it and Kane himself did an interview confirming he was amenable to leaving. It doesn't get any clearer than that.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
All the stuff about Kane not have a winning mentality is complete fluff. Put him in a winning team and he wins trophies. You don't score as many goals as he has in his career if you don't have something about you.
I don’t know, man. He’s obviously been a top 5 striker for the past 5 years or so, but there’s just something about him missing. Some players just don’t got the dawg in them. I think Harold is one of them

fallengt

All the stuff about Kane not have a winning mentality is complete fluff. Put him in a winning team and he wins trophies. You don't score as many goals as he has in his career if you don't have something about you.
He refused to move to bigger clubs when he had the chance. As opposite to RvP whom actually pushed for the move.
Kane is almost 30 already. This is his last chance to win something

CM

I don’t know, man. He’s obviously been a top 5 striker for the past 5 years or so, but there’s just something about him missing. Some players just don’t got the dawg in them. I think Harold is one of them
What alternatives are out there who have even half as good a goal record and better mentality, then?

It's one of those intangibles you can't tell for most players before they've had the opportunity at a big club. I really can't see how this would be a problem for a player who has played and scored at every level.

He refused to move to bigger clubs when he had the chance. As opposite to RvP whom actually pushed for the move.
Kane is almost 30 already. This is his last chance to win something
When did he refuse a move? He was stupid to sign the contract he did but the move to City broke down because he was priced out, not because he turned it down.

He didn't turn up to training, how is that not pushing for a move?

Havak

Pokemon master
I actually think it's really difficult to predict which premier league clubs are going to be consistently competing for trophies / in the champions league over the next five years. I guess City would be expected to be there or thereabouts every year, but who else, Man Utd, Arsenal, Newcastle, Chelsea, Liverpool, Tottenham? He wanted to go to City a couple of year ago, but since then they have bought Haaland and Alverez, so unlikely to sign Kane any time soon unless Haaland leaves. Could he do the unthinkable and go to Arsenal? Could they even afford him? Chelsea and Newcastle could both afford him, and Chelsea need a striker, whilst Newcastle will want to make a statement. I would like to think we are now going to start competing for trophies every year, but for a player considering whether to join, we haven't won much in the past ten years. A strong showing for the rest of this season may help convince Kane that we will win trophies in the near future.
Oh, if Kane is thinking of leaving then Champion's League football and higher potential to win trophies are probably a must IMO. A lot can happen between now and the end of the season. Arsenal could look like an option, but as silly as it could sound, I don't think Kane would choose them either way. Maybe I'm being too romantic in football terms, but I think he'd want to go somewhere where the sensible Spurs fans can see why he left and not be too bitter about him going to a club seen as a derby match. I think Man Utd is the only real option where he can do that, as long as we go close to winning silverware this season and finish in the top 4 (Arsenal have also invested in Jesus for his position and got Nketiah to sign right? I think they probably wouldn't be able to do the deal even if they won the title, but I could be way off on that). Chelsea is a similar story to Arsenal but unless they turn it around massively in the next six months it's hard to see why he'd go there, other than probably the highest base wages he can get? Maybe Newcastle would offer even more though?

As for Newcastle, while a very realistic option, I think they are currently overachieving from where they expected to be and might have to temper expectations. I thought anyone signing for Newcastle would be buying into a 3-4 year project to become a title challenger / consistent Champion's League club and win trophies. Maybe they can sustain this and go right into challenging for that next season (or even now if they spend in this window...). I don't think it's right for Kane while it's a bit of an unknown, but if they manage to stay in the top 4 and have won the League Cup for example, he might feel like it's the right choice. I just feel like if he was moving to a team, he'd want to be assured that they will be able to challenge almost right away. Man Utd of course have work to do if we are going to be able to offer that, but if we were to win a trophy or go close, and finish 2nd/3rd/4th then there's a chance. Also, if the rumours are true about Ronaldo's contract, he could come into Newcastle if they finish top 4 and I think that would rule out any Summer move for Kane. Lots of ifs and buts etc.

I believe we can rule out City & Liverpool, as they have invested in forwards heavily with players such as Haaland, Alvarez, Grealish, Nunez, Gakpo and even Firmino looking at a contract extension etc. Would be surprised if either of those clubs tried for Kane now, whereas I previously thought both would be fighting for his signature at £120-150m.

Up until recently I always thought Kane & Conte would both sign new deals and Spurs would show some ambition in the next windows. But right now, I feel very differently from the outside looking in. It looks toxic at Spurs. I think both could want out unless the board can do some magic and Conte can guide them to 4th place. I really think it looks unlikely.

Member 101269

He wanted to leave the football club. I'm not sure it can get any clearer than that. Also, he'd be leaving London for Manchester. It isn't exactly Saudi Arabia!
Speculation and he's a home boy

It wasn't speculation. He's been at Spurs for a long time but I don't see the relevance.

Every media outlet in the country reported it and Kane himself did an interview confirming he was amenable to leaving. It doesn't get any clearer than that.
Did you hear it from Harry? if not it's speculation.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I could still see him going to City if Haaland decides to go to Madrid to replace Benzema in say 2024, with Endrick being their #2 striker from age 18 to like 22 while Haaland is there, and maybe the main RW since he's left-footed.
I'd be surprised if he left that soon. Also by then, Kane is another year older and can't see City taking someone on a one-year deal

fallengt

When did he refuse a move? He was stupid to sign the contract he did but the move to City broke down because he was priced out, not because he turned it down.

He didn't turn up to training, how is that not pushing for a move?
Has he often talked about the state of his club, threw a chair or is he happy to be there?
I don't buy it, Levy couldn't stop Bale from leaving, why can't Kane do the same? If he really had wanted a move, he would be in bigger club right now.

CM

Has he often talked about the state of his club, threw a chair or is he happy to be there?
I don't buy it, Levy couldn't stop Bale from leaving, why can't Kane do the same? If he really had wanted a move, he would be in bigger club right now.
It could be any number of reasons. Real Madrid paid a world record fee for Bale at the time and he was moving abroad. He probably didn't need to create too much of a stink to get out.

The difference now is Kane will only have a year left on his contract in the summer. That's significant. If he pushes to leave again in the summer Spurs are forced to take it seriously this time.

MegadrivePerson

Man City were prepared to offer over £100 million but Levy refused to even negotiate.

If you've got three years left on your contract with no release clause then there's not much that you can do.

Kane stupidly thought he had 'a gentleman's agreement' with Levy!

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Right up there with the best possible signing we could make

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Aren't Qatar interested in investing in Spurs now anyway? I doubt he moves in the summer. They'll spin more dreams of making Spurs a title winning side and he'll probably renew.

Hughes35

Surely he moves this summer? 1 year left on his contract.

He would be absolutely perfect for us. He suits the type of striker ETH likes down to the ground. Getting this done for 60-70 million would be a fantastic piece of business.

I just hope the timing works with the Glazers / new owners. New owners would really want the make a statement, the Glazers won't want to spend money on assets.

croadyman

Surely he moves this summer? 1 year left on his contract.

He would be absolutely perfect for us. He suits the type of striker ETH likes down to the ground. Getting this done for 60-70 million would be a fantastic piece of business.

I just hope the timing works with the Glazers / new owners. New owners would really want the make a statement, the Glazers won't want to spend money on assets.
Yeah a statement signing

croadyman

Exactly that. If you're a new owner, he's the perfect signing to make the fans love you and improve the team on the pitch.
Would just need a progressive CM then it gives us a strong XI,obviously sill have to work on squad depth such as cover for Varane/Martinez and Casemiro/Bruno

Djemba-Djemba

He'd be the dream signing.

We carry on improving under Ten Hag as we have been doing, make top 4 and maybe win a cup and then we sign Kane I honestly think we're proper title challengers next season. He'd improve us so much it would be insane.

He has to be the main focus, if there's even the slightest chance of getting him we have to go all out to get him.

croadyman

He'd be the dream signing.

We carry on improving under Ten Hag as we have been doing, make top 4 and maybe win a cup and then we sign Kane I honestly think we're proper title challengers next season. He'd improve us so much it would be insane.

He has to be the main focus, if there's even the slightest chance of getting him we have to go all out to get him.
What figure do you think we would value him at?

Djemba-Djemba

What figure do you think we would value him at?
It's really tough to say.

He'll have a year left on his contract and he'll be 30 by the start of next season so I can see us using that to try and lower the price. I'm sure Levy will set us a ridiculous price at first, he'd rather see Kane go to Bayern or Barcelona than to Utd I'm certain.

I reckon Casemiro money, maybe a bit more. £50-60M, around that.

It's a lot of money but I really do think he's as close to a guaranteed success as you can possibly get.

I think it's becoming increasingly clear though that if Kane wants to leave and wants to stay in England we are his best option.

croadyman

It's really tough to say.

He'll have a year left on his contract and he'll be 30 by the start of next season so I can see us using that to try and lower the price. I'm sure Levy will set us a ridiculous price at first, he'd rather see Kane go to Bayern or Barcelona than to Utd I'm certain.

I reckon Casemiro money, maybe a bit more. £50-60M, around that.

It's a lot of money but I really do think he's as close to a guaranteed success as you can possibly get.

I think it's becoming increasingly clear though that if Kane wants to leave and wants to stay in England we are his best option.
I would consider £60-£70m for someone so proven is an absolute bargain, yes I know he had those spells on trouble with ankle injuries but has missed very few games in these last few seasons

Djemba-Djemba

I would consider £60-£70m for someone so proven is an absolute bargain, yes I know he had those spells on trouble with ankle injuries but has missed very few games in these last few seasons
Yeah I think his last proper injury was pre pandemic, so it's been a good few years now of fitness.

It's not just the goals he'd provide but the passing and link up play, he actually wouldn't need to do it so much here because we actually have other creative players unlike Spurs , but it would still be a bonus.

City have Haaland
Liverpool have Salah
Chelsea look like they won't be in the CL next season and they might be struggling for the next few years anyway
I just can't see him ever going to Arsenal

Unless he fancies going to another country I really think we'd be in the best position to buy him.

croadyman

Yeah I think his last proper injury was pre pandemic, so it's been a good few years now of fitness.

It's not just the goals he'd provide but the passing and link up play, he actually wouldn't need to do it so much here because we actually have other creative players unlike Spurs , but it would still be a bonus.

City have Haaland
Liverpool have Salah
Chelsea look like they won't be in the CL next season and they might be struggling for the next few years anyway
I just can't see him ever going to Arsenal

Unless he fancies going to another country I really think we'd be in the best position to buy him.
The only one I would throw in there as a wildcard is Newcastle

kaku06

Vulgarian
I want us to sign him so badly. We almost have a free run if he decides to leave. Levy is caught in a fix. Other top teams have strikers. He won’t go to Arsenal and can’t see going to Chelsea. Not only it would fill a massive hole in our team but also elevate us to next level.

croadyman

I want us to sign him so badly. We almost have a free run if he decides to leave. Levy is caught in a fix. Other top teams have strikers. He won’t go to Arsenal and can’t see going to Chelsea. Not only it would fill a massive hole in our team but also elevate us to next level.
Like I just said to the other poster above the dark horse in this one is Newcastle

kaku06

Vulgarian
Like I just said to the other poster above the dark horse in this one is Newcastle
No way he is going to Newcastle. Why would he? Even if they get top 4, they are nowhere close to being title challengers. I know they are having good season and might get top 4 but that squad is punching well above their weight and I don’t think it’s sustainable at all next season. They have to change most of their team and bring in top players along with a top manager and they are still quite a few years away for that if not more.

croadyman

No way he is going to Newcastle. Why would he? Even if they get top 4, they are nowhere close to being title challengers. I know they are having good season and might get top 4 but that squad is punching well above their weight and I don’t think it’s sustainable at all next season. They have to change most of their team and bring in top players along with a top manager and they are still quite a few years away for that if not more.
I just think them qualifying for top 4 and having ridiculous amounts of money poses danger to us for him

rajds89

I think he is the perfect striker for what ETH is trying to do here. Don’t get me wrong, Haaland has been nothing short of incredible for City but in my opinion, you put Kane in that City team he scores just as many as Haaland has plus he offers so much more. You’d never see Kane have such a quite game like you saw Haaland have against a Chelsea at weekend who unless it’s putting the ball in the back of the net he really isn’t interested in getting involved whereas with Kane, he’ll look to drop deep, get involved and can you imagine him linking up with a Rashford, Bruno or Antony making runs beyond him? I say get Kane in whatever the cost.

kaku06

Vulgarian
I just think them qualifying for top 4 and having ridiculous amounts of money poses danger to us for him
If we get new owners then I don’t think money would be a problem for us either. In that case it would be just Manchester United v Newcastle united and that itself is a no brainer. The biggest hurdle could be for us is not getting top 4. If we get that and the takeover happens then we would be the favourites if levy decides to cash in.