g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Harry Kane | Bayern Munich player

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Chelsea and City became 'big' clubs, as opposed to entertaining nearly-men/ virtual laughing stocks post 70s respectively, through being financially doped to the gills, or real-life FM cheatcoding. Spurs - funny as the whole 'Spursy' thing is tripping over themselves even at the threshold of success and falling backwards - just need a disgustingly rich Middle East owner who's able to work around FFP for a couple of years, and they'll suddenly be a 'legitimate' club who players seem mysteriously keen to sign for all of a sudden , particularly given the stadium and London location in their favour.
No doubt but as it stands they're still not an oil club.
Definitely, they need a rebuild and to start again like they did when they hired Poch, the problem is that it’s extremely hard for spurs fans to admit that and that new stadium (best stadium in all the world…) doesn’t scream mid table, Levy will have sanctioned that spend on the back of big champions league nights.
You have to wonder how much of it is their fans and how much levy simply being a piss poor squad builder and being an arrogant bastard who can't admit defeat, one needs to look no further than how they've spent their cash in these past few years.
Not sure you can legit call Arsenal a bigger club than Spurs based on the 15 years or so.
I don't know, for starters history notwithstanding they actually won a cup or two during that period.

C'est Moi Cantona

Why would he be unwilling to go to Chelsea? He'd be in London playing for a manager he's worked with before and it's not as if Chelsea are not capable of winning trophies.
I think he has too much repect for Spurs to do that, and they're hardly the most appealing option nowadays anyway.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
I’ve never known a top player lack ambition as much as Kane.

he should’ve moved a few seasons ago if he was a serious player.
You could argue that he is actually the most ambitious player of all time if he thinks he can win silverware with Spurs…

SSNA

The word is deluded.
That is how I would describe your post. I mean youre deluded and a lot of others are deluded by assuming that someones ambition is the same as anothers i.e. win as many trophies as possible. Perhaps just perhaps Kanes ambition was always to win with Spurs which would have meant more than winning a trophy with a club he has no affinity to.

So yeah - perhaps he isnt the one deluded.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Do we really need to justify ourselves with pity PR? Yes we didn’t get him, it happens, not the end of the world. But this news coming out how he was demanding 500+ k per week, comparing contract costs of him vs Rasmus, and now this that he hasn’t improved and drops deep, blah, … as if we only found out about all of this now.
I am sure Kane knows he won’t be getting 500 k £ anywhere, at least not from a club in Europe.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Stinks of briefs.

However I think Spurs have identified that losing Kane bringing in Maddison and Veliz can be replaced in the aggregate.

A creator and a beast in the box. Veliz is a very Ange Postecoglou type signing.

croadyman

People believe garbage mate.

There are already otherwise sensible folk in here who’ve persuaded themselves Højlund is a better signing than Kane.
I do believe he offers more in terms of an all around game but obviously Kane's goalscoring and playmaking is exceptional

L1nk

This is just Andy Mitten sharing anecdotes on a podcast mind - If this was a brief/PR move all the main United journalists would be publishing pieces on this. Think people bashing the club for no reason here

croadyman

Not sure what on Earth you’re basing that on…

But hope you’re somehow correct.
I'm talking in terms of the pressing and running in behind to get on the end of things,obviously all areas need working on but Erik and Benni's coaching will help with that

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

There are already otherwise sensible folk in here who’ve persuaded themselves Højlund is a better signing than Kane.
I mean, spending 100m and 300k/w + on a 30 year old is *almost never good business. That's not to say he won't keep it up for another 3-5 years, there are just more sensible moves out there and there's no way to know how it'll turn out, and it happens far more often that those older big money signings don't end up worth it. Kane would be better for the immediate few years of course, but Hojlund is a potential elite CF who can hold the position down long term, which is what they are clearly looking at. We already have a good chunk of key players that will need replacing in 2-3 years. Bruno, Casemiro, Varane...it's not unreasonable to think going for the younger guy who might grow into an elite player is just the better transfer to make rather than going all out for success in the next 2 years and be left with a huge mess to deal with in 2025.

croadyman

I mean, spending 100m and 300k/w + on a 30 year old is *almost never good business. That's not to say he won't keep it up for another 3-5 years, there are just more sensible moves out there and there's no way to know how it'll turn out, and it happens far more often that those older big money signings don't end up worth it. Kane would be better for the immediate few years of course, but Hojlund is a potential elite CF who can hold the position down long term, which is what they are clearly looking at. We already have a good chunk of key players that will need replacing in 2-3 years. Bruno, Casemiro, Varane...it's not unreasonable to think going for the younger guy who might grow into an elite player is just the better transfer to make rather than going all out for success in the next 2 years and be left with a huge mess to deal with in 2025.
That's actually a sensible way of looking at things,the trouble is by the time he's hitting top form we will need to replace those three

gajender

Hojlund may succeed or fail that's the separate thing but the arguments against Kane's signing which Mitten has alluded to were already discussed and raised by several posters Including me here , so it's not that far fetched to think that Some at United's might have had same reservations and came to similar conclusion.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I'm talking in terms of the pressing and running in behind to get on the end of things,obviously all areas need working on but Erik and Benni's coaching will help with that
I agree.

I think as far as pace and power along with the ability to press aggressively, Hojlund is better for us and also due to where we're as a team in our development. I actually really like Hojlund's profile where his physicality, pace and power along with his pressing would really suit us in a league which is very high intense.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Hojlund may succeed or fail that's the separate thing but the arguments against Kane's signing which Mitten has alluded to were already discussed and raised by several posters Including me here , so it's not that far fetched to think that Some at United's might have had same reservations and came to similar conclusion.
Right.

I wonder which one ETH would’ve preferred if offered the choice.

croadyman

Right.

Depends what he wanted doesn't it,sounds like initially it was finished article in Kane. He was then obviously made aware of what a nightmare Levy is to deal with, therefore made the right call to switch to more of a potential talent in Hojlund. Clearly he didn't want a scenario where he ended up with no one for second summer running.

gajender

Right.

See I am not saying ETH prefers Hojland over Kane But just pointing out that some did have reservations about Suitability of Kane for United for various reasons . Just to answer your Question Ten Hag is Ultimate Pragmatist I believe he would have definitely gone for Kane and would have tweaked his system and made it work .

Last edited:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Right.

There is a price & wages point at which the potential guy makes more sense than the already elite guy. No idea if it was a case of we just aren't able to do Kane vs we chose to go for Hojlund over Kane at the prices mentioned.

Most/almost ever manager would prefer the already elite guy. The club should be able to overrule and make that call on whether we should go for a younger guy. City did it with Haaland rather than stumping up the cash for Kane, worked out great for them.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
There is a price & wages point at which the potential guy makes more sense than the already elite guy. No idea if it was a case of we just aren't able to do Kane vs we chose to go for Hojlund over Kane at the prices mentioned.

Most/almost ever manager would prefer the already elite guy. The club should be able to overrule and make that call on whether we should go for a younger guy. City did it with Haaland rather than stumping up the cash for Kane, worked out great for them.
I mean Haaland wasn’t exactly the young risk type given his goal record prior to joining.

Redcy

I still think we would have gone and got Kane, but my suspicion is that to get him would have meant wrangling with Kane and running a massive risk that Levy doesn’t sell until the last minute, or rides it to the last minute and we get no one.

for years we have slated the transfer team for not getting players in early, for leaving our business until the last minute. Even if somehow levy agrees to sell to us , which I still doubt, I think we would see the same thing Bayern are, this constant in and out. Kane clearly wasn’t going to push for a move so it would have been another de Jong potentially. Everyone said that made us look like idiots last year.

erikcred

That is how I would describe your post. I mean youre deluded and a lot of others are deluded by assuming that someones ambition is the same as anothers i.e. win as many trophies as possible. Perhaps just perhaps Kanes ambition was always to win with Spurs which would have meant more than winning a trophy with a club he has no affinity to.

So yeah - perhaps he isnt the one deluded.
The running joke is that spurs are incapable of winning a trophy and that they always crumble under pressure. Don't tell me that's news to you! That's what makes any hope of winning a trophy with them unrealistic and what I and the poster I responded to were referencing. Hope that clears things up, Harry.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
This is just Andy Mitten sharing anecdotes on a podcast mind - If this was a brief/PR move all the main United journalists would be publishing pieces on this. Think people bashing the club for no reason here
Literally was just a throwaway comment. Infuriating how people run with comments.