Harry Kane | Bayern Munich player

Bojan Djordjic

I've never understood the resale value thing in relation to United. That's something perennial feeder clubs worry about. The top brass don't worry about how much they will make off a player's sale when buying him.
Bit arrogant considering we're in the financial position of having to loan a forward from a championship club because our owners have bled the club dry.

Bert_

Kane would be a brilliant signing. One year left on his contract in the summer so there is a deal to be done! Would instantly elevate us to title challengers.

Rashford would also massively benefit from having him in the team. Kane is as good at providing as he his at scoring when he has runners either side of him.

Those comparing to RVP and saying he dropped off a cliff...If Fergie stuck around for a few more seasons he would have carried on his form. He just happened to spend his last prem years playing under Moyes and Van Gaal! Still scored plenty despite us being shit. Kane would have a much more stable setup to work in.

EtH

No more than 60m. Though my immediate reaction is "who knows what a reasonable fee is anymore?". It's not my money though. So long as it doesn't compromise other targets (hopefully there's new ownership in place), then it's within reason for me.
Players half the quality of Kane are going for well more than £60m. I wouldn’t blink at paying £80-100m for him. The contract situation might not factor too much into the price, but it is the reason we have the opportunity to sign him.

Either way it’s no time to be squeamish or worried about resale value.

Bert_

Bit arrogant considering we're in the financial position of having to loan a forward from a championship club because our owners have bled the club dry.
No top team should be buying first team players with a view to sell on. You should be buying players that you intend to have for the rest of their top level careers. Doesn't always work out that way of course but it's not the intention when you make the signing.

Glazers fecking us over and their mismanagement is a different story and the main reason we are struggling to do the above. Hopefully they will be gone by the summer window though!

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The point isn't to buy players with the intention to sell them on. The point is knowing that the risk of spending X fee on them is mitigated by the likelihood of being able to get Y range back from them in several years time if required. That's part of how you determine what a player is currently worth in the market.

If you're saying "other clubs spend over £60m on players with half of Kane's quality, I wouldn't hesitate to spend £100m on him" it's important to understand that you'd be the sucker in that scenario, not the other clubs rightly taking the age and contract situations of players into account when deciding how much they're actually worth.

Last edited:

EtH

The point isn't to buy players with the intention to sell them on. The point is knowing that the risk of spending X fee on them is mitigated by the likelihood of being able to get Y range back from them in several years time if required. That's part of how you determine what a player is currently worth in the market.

If you're saying "other clubs spend over £60m on players with half of Kane's quality, I wouldn't hesitate to spend £100m on him" it's important to understand that you'd be the sucker in that scenario, not the other clubs rightly taking the age and contract situations of players into account when deciding how much they're actually worth.
How would we be the suckers in that scenario ? He is a one of the best ever PL strikers. The only real downside is that we would have to be back in the market for another striker in a few years time. But we would have at least a league or two and a few cups in the bag most likely which would do wonders for the profile of the club and attracting the next one.

Strelok

Not this again :yawn:

No way are we paying that sort of money for a player who only has max 3 good years left in him.
Imo Kane has at least 5 good years left. He's not the type to rely on pace so as long as he can keep his strength he'd be fine. Giroud is now 36 yo I don't see why Kane can't play till 35 yo.

I said somewhere here Kane would be perfect for us. Only issue here is Daniel fecking Levy.

Gazautd18

Get him.
Think he will want to make up for lost time where he could have won trophies.
Could be EtH's version of Sheringham.
Not playing style but just a desire to win everything

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
How would we be the suckers in that scenario ? He is a one of the best ever PL strikers. The only real downside is that we would have to be back in the market for another striker in a few years time. But we would have at least a league or two and a few cups in the bag most likely which would do wonders for the profile of the club and attracting the next one.
When you note that players with less quality than Kane go for similarly large sums, the implication seems to be that they shouldn't, or that Kane would therefore be excellent value in comparison.

Whereas in reality players with less quality than Kane correctly go for comparable or greater amounts than Kane would, because age and contract situation directly impact how much a player should be worth. Not appreciating why those factors impact on what you should be willing to pay would make you a sucker because it demonstrates a fundamental lack of understanding as to what factors give a player their market value.

And the idea that signing Kane would mean us winning "at least" a league or two is nonsense. We could quite easily sign Kane and still not win any league titles over the next few years. There are zero guarantees in football, which is why the potential risks of a signing matter as well as the potential upsides.

devil99

50m should be a fair price. Anything over that and we are being robbed. He isn’t the same player of 2 years ago. Has lost considerable speed and agility still an incredible player but clearly at the tail end of his career.
Casemiro who is bit older cost 60m pounds and you want Kane for less than 50m. Makes sense

EtH

When you note that players with less quality than Kane go for similarly large sums, the implication seems to be that they shouldn't, or that Kane would therefore be excellent value in comparison.

Whereas in reality players with less quality than Kane correctly go for comparable or greater amounts than Kane would, because age and contract situation directly impact how much a player should be worth. Not appreciating why those factors impact on what you should be willing to pay would make you a sucker because it demonstrates a fundamental lack of understanding as to what factors give a player their market value.

And the idea that signing Kane would mean us winning "at least" a league or two is nonsense. We could quite easily sign Kane and still not win any league titles over the next few years. There are zero guarantees in football, which is why the potential risks of a signing matter as well as the potential upsides.
Some transfers are rare opportunities and signing one of the PL’s greatest ever goal-scorers in a market bereft of quality options certainly ups the stakes, quite simply. Despite the contract situation which is again the only reason he is even gettable this summer.

As for trophies, obviously nothing is ever guaranteed. But considering our current trajectory, adding Kane this summer would at the very least put us in position to challenge on all fronts again. It is an absolute slam dunk signing.

Last edited:

Pscholes18

No way in hell Spurs wont try to fleece Utd for 100 mil for Kane. Feck him....he's always injured anyways....or so it seems. I don't mind spending the dough but get a younger forward.

Bert_

No way in hell Spurs wont try to fleece Utd for 100 mil for Kane. Feck him....he's always injured anyways....or so it seems. I don't mind spending the dough but get a younger forward.
They'll try but it will come down to a choice of them cashing in or letting him go for free the summer after.

I reckon he'll go for about 50/60m late into the window once spurs realise they're not going to get a better offer.

mav_9me

That's the obvious problem. Can't keep spending 80-100m every 3-4 yrs.

Given he will have 1yr left, 50m is fair price.

Would rather pay 120m for day Osimhen than 80m for Kane.

croadyman

They'll try but it will come down to a choice of them cashing in or letting him go for free the summer after.

I reckon he'll go for about 50/60m late into the window once spurs realise they're not going to get a better offer.
That would be absolute bargain for someone of his quality,however Levy will push every penny out of us he can that's for certain

croadyman

That's the obvious problem. Can't keep spending 80-100m every 3-4 yrs.

Given he will have 1yr left, 50m is fair price.

Would rather pay 120m for day Osimhen than 80m for Kane.
Have now definitely come round to the way of thinking we need to take advantage while we have Casa,Rapha,Bruno & Eriksen in their prime years

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
As of right now, obviously not. If his form or physical fitness fell off a cliff next season, obviously yes. That's the risk with signing players for massive money at that age bracket. It all depends on just how long you get out of them.

We can say "X is the sort of player who can play well into his 30's" all we like, the truth is we have zero idea at what point over the coming few years their decline will hit. And if it happens too quickly then it doesn't matter how good they were initially, bringing them in instead of a younger player who might also have been excellent except for many more seasons was a mistake.

And the more players of that profile you sign, the more likely you are to get burned. It really shouldn't need explaining that hanging your hat on these sort of signings is ill-advised.
and we have no idea of osimhens ability in the pl, just like you are not sure how kane ages as a pl top scorer. kane will be half price of osimhen. De gea, varane, casemiro, eriksen, bruno & kane. ten hag wants titles before building another young team, not the other way around

dinostar77

Levy will want the transfer record (£100mil+) for a british player and not a penny less. He wont get it as Kane has a year left on his contract. So it will come down to a game of brinkmanship in the final days of the summer window.

Either someone pays somewhere near what levy wants or he keeps Kane at spurs for another season out of spite and loses him on a free in summer 2024 when he will be 31.

croadyman

and we have no idea of osimhens ability in the pl, just like you are not sure how kane ages as a pl top scorer. kane will be half price of osimhen. De gea, varane, casemiro, eriksen, bruno & kane. ten hag wants titles before building another young team, not the other way around
This point is completely ignored by people who think Kane is wrong side of 30 and declining rapidly but don't see it like that myself

croadyman

Levy will want the transfer record (£100mil+) for a british player and not a penny less. He wont get it as Kane has a year left on his contract. So it will come down to a game of brinkmanship in the final days of the summer window.

Either someone pays somewhere near what levy wants or he keeps Kane at spurs for another season out of spite and loses him on a free in summer 2024 when he will be 31.
Yeah it's the key position to address this summer but will go late in the window knowing Levy

kps88

I think Levy will do everything he can to push him towards a foreign club instead.

dinostar77

So transfermarkt have Kane valued at €90mil (£80mil).

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/harry-kane/profil/spieler/132098

Cies Football Obssrvatory have him valued at €62.5mil (£55mil). They take into account that his contract is winding down.

https://www.football-observatory.com/-Ratings-eng-

Add the levy tax on transfers to another PL club and my hunch is Kane would be around €80mil (£70mil).

Seeing as we spend £60mil on a 30 year old Casemiro thats pretty good value. You'd probably have to stump up an additional £40-£50mil for osimhen and that could buy you a CM.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
This is going to sound stupid to some, but ten hag was beating elite CL teams for fun with average players. Sign Kane & we are in for favourites for the CL. De gea, casemiro, shaw , varane, martinez, eriksen, bruno, rashford & bloody harry kane. PS. Then
Hate to mention him but add gwood to the list after court makes a decision and things become almost too easy.

nakpodiareuben

This is going to sound stupid to some, but ten hag was beating elite CL teams for fun with average players. Sign Kane & we are in for favourites for the CL. De gea, casemiro, shaw , varane, martinez, eriksen, bruno, rashford & bloody harry kane. PS. Then
Hate to mention him but add gwood to the list after court makes a decision and things become almost too easy.

Kane! Nooooooóoooóoooooo. If SAF was still coach maybe. Except he is coming on a free

Trex

Even considering Kane and Osimhen profile, Kane is more suitable to playing with Rashford and Bruno (our other key attacking options) . A playmaking type number 9 suits them more as they're good runners. That's why Martial suited us more than Ronaldo.

Irrational.

Bring him in! Let's make this reunion for him and Eriksen.

Seriously, I really hope we can get him this time. Explaining why is just pointless, I would say. It's Harry fu*king Kane.

And no, it's not too late.
This is exactly how the Bastian fecking Schweinsteiger thing started. :drool::lol:

On a serious note, we would be mad not to go for him. He’s the one player that would instantly make us title challengers. Throw Maguire in as a sweetener as well.

Now that our interest is public, fully expecting Boehly and his nimrods to hijack the deal and sign him on a 10 year deal for £120 million. Though Kane would be foolish to sign another one of those.

Mcking

We’ll need cover/replacement within 2 seasons probably. Once players get to 32 it can become unpredictable. Some dip quickly and some carry on at a high level, hard to say.
So would you give up having Casemiro in the team right now to have another DM just because Casemiro is already 30 and would be 32 in a few years?

rajds89

We’ll need cover/replacement within 2 seasons probably. Once players get to 32 it can become unpredictable. Some dip quickly and some carry on at a high level, hard to say.
I’d very much like to see where you get the evidence from to base this theory. Plenty of players in their 30s have gone on to still play a huge part in their teams success. I’d expect Kane to do the same if he were to join.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Only for a cut price snd a 3 year deal max. How has his injury record been? Somehow I think he is injured often

jamesjimmybyrondean

Kane giveing us two good seasons isn't the end of the world. We make 80m signings every one or two seasons. People here are acting like we would be spending our last 80m ever if we get him and wouldn't be able to spend big again. And it's not as if we can't still make a shrewd signing for a top striker after or before Kane is done here

dove

Only for a cut price snd a 3 year deal max. How has his injury record been? Somehow I think he is injured often
Very exaggerated. According to my quick maths, he missed around 7 games per season on average during his Spurs career which would put him in the same category with pretty much every player, he certainly isn't Phil Jones.

phelans shorts

The funniest part in the clamour for him for me is how Ten Hag has specifically stated how much he wants to bring big characters in, so now folk are suggesting signing the meekest player in the league because of his name

dove

The funniest part in the clamour for him for me is how Ten Hag has specifically stated how much he wants to bring big characters in, so now folk are suggesting signing the meekest player in the league because of his name
What's more funny to me is how we would not want to sign one of the league's top scorers (maybe even the top scorer) of the last 10 years just because he is meek. Of all the reasons this is surely the most ridiculous one.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
They’re not getting 85m for him

OmarUnited4ever

It's obvious Kane isn't renewing with Spurs, so Levy will have to decide either to keep Kane for another year and lose him on a free or sell him in the summer, and Levy won't get more than £50M for him, be it an English club or a European club, no one is paying £85M for a 30 year old (in Aug 2023) on his last year

for United, if we can get him for £50M or less, then I think it will be worth it, Ten Hag can easily make it work.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
The argument against Kane isn’t quality or price - it’s profile. His pressing, intense sprints in behind, running channels - none of that really stacks up. If ETH wants that from a striker then he isn’t the one. It’s why this shortlist is so bonkers - Kane and Osimhen are totally different profiles. It comes down to what ETH wants - an elite technical goal scorer who is incredible at linking the play or a very good goalscorer who is okay at linking play but is incredible off-the-ball.

Marwood

There's zero chance we get Kane.

Moving to another PL team completely wrecks his status with Spurs fans. He's only going to do that if there's a huge, guaranteed, upside. Which we can't provide now or in the summer.

The only PL team he would go to is City and obviously they don't need him anymore.