g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Harry Kane | Bayern Munich player

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
You seem to view it all as just a matter of logistics!
It mostly is. I probably sound glib, but I’ll freely admit that I was scared as Fcuk the first time over, and anxious the second time around.

But I 100% believe that I’d have had zero problems if I had £10m in the bank, earning £1.5m a month.

roseguy64

Whatever happens we can not spend all summer chasing this deal. Especially when you have a 20 year old striker in Italy who is a massive fan of ours and will join in an instant going for halve the price.
The Italian striker is nowhere near as good as and much more likely to fail. It's not like he's a Haaland moving from Austria to Germany where you could tell and see he'd score bucket loads.

prateik

Spurs apparently want Maguire.. Spurs might want a keeper.
Lets just send them a Maguire + Bailly + Telles + Henderson package for Kane,

Banana Republic

With the new Spurs manager coming in and one year left on his contract, I can well imagine Kane will be persuaded to stay on for one more year, to be part of a rebuild etc, etc.
Levi could well dangle a few carrots in front of him, in order to get that commitment.
Maybe a contract extension, on the basis he'll be allowed to leave in a years time with Spurs still being able to cash in.
RM may be the only thing that might tempt him to leave this summer, for what might be his last big contract.

In any case, I don't think Utd should be putting down the sort of money that Levi will agree to, for a 30 years old with one year left on his contract.
2 years ago, yes totally ...and next year on a free if possible, ......but not now.
We need to look elsewhere.

BerryBerryShrew

I think it's strange that people (particularly United fans) are suggesting that it is a "no brainer" for the English captain to go to the current version of Real (the ones who just got utterly humiliated by City) over us. Given that Madrid have only won two La Liga's in the last decade, are they really more of a guarantee of trophies than we are right now? - we are both CL outsiders right now and I would say that going from Weghorst to Kane should give us a bigger boost than them going from Benzema to Kane.

We're one good transfer window away from being serious contenders for the PL and CL. I'm surprised at the negativity.

Rusholme Ruffian

It mostly is. I probably sound glib, but I’ll freely admit that I was scared as Fcuk the first time over, and anxious the second time around.

But I 100% believe that I’d have had zero problems if I had £10m in the bank, earning £1.5m a month.
You do sound glib. But also you don't seem very empathetic. Maybe when you moved abroad you felt like you didn't have that much to lose back home, or maybe you don't have super close familial bonds back here, and maybe your partner (if you have one) was also up for the challenge? Obvs I don't know any of those things, just saying that everyone has a different set of circumstances, and your position seems pretty extreme on this.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
I think it's strange that people (particularly United fans) are suggesting that it is a "no brainer" for the English captain to go to the current version of Real (the ones who just got utterly humiliated by City) over us. Given that Madrid have only won two La Liga's in the last decade, are they really more of a guarantee of trophies than we are right now? - we are both CL outsiders right now and I would say that going from Weghorst to Kane should give us a bigger boost than them going from Benzema to Kane.

We're one good transfer window away from being serious contenders for the PL and CL. I'm surprised at the negativity.
Great chance for a CL, though. Bale won 5 of them!

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

1) Madrid won La Liga three times in the last ten years.

2) Yes, they are massively more likely to win titles than we are, largely due to the two and occasionally three horse nature of their league.

That's reflected in the bookies odds, which as of right now gives us an implied probability of just over 8% of winning the PL next season, versus for example the 40%+ implied probability Madrid were given at the start of this season.

Over the course of say a four year contract, the odds of Kane winning more titles with us than Madrid are extremely small. And that's not factoring in the CL where, despite your claim that we'll both be outsiders, they will still inevitably be favoured ahead of us at least next season.

Dyslexic Untied

How on earth is a Spanish league title for Madrid, who many would argue are the biggest club in the world a "less meaningful" league title for bloody hell's sake :lol:
Well, I would assume that for an English player playing in the Premier League for most of his career, winning a PL trophy would be more meaningful than winning a league trophy in a different league. It is not an objective comparison, but what I would assume Kane's subjective opinion would be.

UnrelatedPsuedo

You do sound glib. But also you don't seem very empathetic. Maybe when you moved abroad you felt like you didn't have that much to lose back home, or maybe you don't have super close familial bonds back here, and maybe your partner (if you have one) was also up for the challenge? Obvs I don't know any of those things, just saying that everyone has a different set of circumstances, and your position seems pretty extreme on this.
I’m hugely empathetic. I had lots to lose back home. Nobody wanted me to leave. Everyone told me it was a bad and selfish idea. I was very close to my family and I sacrificed that for a time. My partner wanted/needed to go. I jumped at the chance.

It took a full two years for my family and some friends to realise that I wasn’t them. I witnessed too many people criticise the decision at the same time I knew that they’d have loved and enjoyed doing the same.

Fast forward a decade and all those same people are spellbound by a multilingual kid that flies solo and orders meals for themselves and others, holds their space with conviction and still isn’t a dickhead.

Me leaving promoted growth, adaptation and acceptance in siblings, parents, cousins and friends. Several others have emigrated, people I never would have seen doing that.

Had you put £10m in my bank account, that could have been accomplished in a summer.

I don’t think my position is extreme. I think it’s fairly commonplace among people that have done the same. It only feels hard to think about. Having done it, it feels far easier than having slogged through 13 years of Tory.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Well, I would assume that for an English player playing in the Premier League for most of his career, winning a PL trophy would be more meaningful than winning a league trophy in a different league. It is not an objective comparison, but what I would assume Kane's subjective opinion would be.
Why? I’m English and a United fan. I’d rather win La Liga than a PL title with Spurs, Arsenal, Liverpool, City, anyone really.

Rusholme Ruffian

I’m hugely empathetic. I had lots to lose back home. Nobody wanted me to leave. Everyone told me it was a bad and selfish idea. I was very close to my family and I sacrificed that for a time. My partner wanted/needed to go. I jumped at the chance.

It took a full two years for my family and some friends to realise that I wasn’t them. I witnessed too many people criticise the decision at the same time I knew that they’d have loved and enjoyed doing the same.

Fast forward a decade and all those same people are spellbound by a multilingual kid that flies solo and orders meals for themselves and others, holds their space with conviction and still isn’t a dickhead.

Me leaving promoted growth, adaptation and acceptance in siblings, parents, cousins and friends. Several others have emigrated, people I never would have seen doing that.

Had you put £10m in my bank account, that could have been accomplished in a summer.

I don’t think my position is extreme. I think it’s fairly commonplace among people that have done the same. It only feels hard to think about. Having done it, it feels far easier than having slogged through 13 years of Tory.
Good on you! I'm not seeking to argue that there can't be huge benefits to moving abroad, and I'm glad it has worked out for you. I disagree with branding those who don't want to do that as 'Little Englanders' though - I'm as pro-Europe as it's possible to be, but I personally wouldn't want to move abroad for various reasons - at least not whilst my kids are at secondary school and my parents are elderly. And I disagree on your view on it 'not being a big deal'. However, we agree on the Tories, so there is that! :D

UnrelatedPsuedo

Good on you! I'm not seeking to argue that there can't be huge benefits to moving abroad, and I'm glad it has worked out for you. I disagree with branding those who don't want to do that as 'Little Englanders' though - I'm as pro-Europe as it's possible to be, but I personally wouldn't want to move abroad for various reasons - at least not whilst my kids are at secondary school and my parents are elderly. And I disagree on your view on it 'not being a big deal'. However, we agree on the Tories, so there is that! :D
Oh mate, ‘Little Englander’ is as much a term of endearment as critique. I love this wee island. But for the first 28 years of my life I leaned into the ‘best place on earth’ narrative that I was kind of fed. ‘Why would I go anywhere else’ is valid if you’re happy.

But leaving… waaaay easier than I expected, and people that said it was stupid, just adjusted.

I’m back now. Unless we elect Tories again, I’ll be staying. But the leaving did give me a perspective that framed how I’ll think forever.

I wouldn’t casually tell two mates with settled kids and a combined income of £150k a year working as a teacher and doctor to just piss off to Australia or France. Their skills are transferable. It would be great. They’d probably thrive. But there are many challenges.

But for a multi millionaire… I think it’s all close to irrelevant.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Oh mate, ‘Little Englander’ is as much a term of endearment as critique. I love this wee island. But for the first 28 years of my life I leaned into the ‘best place on earth’ narrative that I was kind of fed. ‘Why would I go anywhere else’ is valid if you’re happy.

But leaving… waaaay easier than I expected, and people that said it was stupid, just adjusted.

I’m back now. Unless we elect Tories again, I’ll be staying. But the leaving did give me a perspective that framed how I’ll think forever.

I wouldn’t casually tell two mates with settled kids and a combined income of £150k a year working as a teacher and doctor to just piss off to Australia or France. Their skills are transferable. It would be great. They’d probably thrive. But there are many challenges.

But for a multi millionaire… I think it’s all close to irrelevant.
So basically if you have money, emigrating is a piece of piss is what you're actually saying

Ringol

Now losing Kane even for 100M is a bad business because it involves risk of losing status. And for 100M you can only gamble once or twice for a replacement. And it's a bad gamble because I believe it has less than 50% chance of suceeding, especially in this market that is deprived of top level strikers. Basically Spurs are fecked if they sell and fecked if they don't.
People criticise Levy but don't even try to understand his thinking. He's ambitious and doesn't want Tottenham to sink into mediocrity. Then no amount of money is going to allow him to bring in top players to the club. You're right, both options are bad: sell Kane or keep :/ Oops, there's 1 good option, but it's unlikely. Don't sell Kane, buy 2-3 good players, finish in top 4 the league, get promoted to Champions League and Kane extends his contract. He doesn't have to make a 180 degree turn in his life (as he will have to do if he moves to Madrid), plays in the CL and struggles to break Shearer's record.

The most underrated thing about Kane is that he can play both as a False 9 & a traditional number 9.
People tend to look at the raw numbers - how many goals or assists a player has. If you look at it more closely, Kane has a better efficiency than Haaland: ratio goals per 90 / xg per 90 (139% vs 126%) and expected assists 0.18/90 vs 0.17/90. The guy is really great, has 4-5 years at top level and if I were the owner of Spurs, United or Real, I would do everything to have him in my squad next season.

UnrelatedPsuedo

So basically if you have money, emigrating is a piece of piss is what you're actually saying
Well… it’s not the totality of what I’m saying. But yes. That’s almost accepted is it not?

Every normal barrier is removed. It’s just a question of character if money is no object.

L1nk

Being reported now that Real have pulled out of the deal for Havertz and are going all in on Kane

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Oh well… we move on to the next one unless we suddenly high jack it.

UnrelatedPsuedo

People criticise Levy but don't even try to understand his thinking. He's ambitious and doesn't want Tottenham to sink into mediocrity. Then no amount of money is going to allow him to bring in top players to the club. You're right, both options are bad: sell Kane or keep :/ Oops, there's 1 good option, but it's unlikely. Don't sell Kane, buy 2-3 good players, finish in top 4 the league, get promoted to Champions League and Kane extends his contract. He doesn't have to make a 180 degree turn in his life (as he will have to do if he moves to Madrid), plays in the CL and struggles to break Shearer's record.
Levy wants to maximise a saleable business. He’s a very good businessman but a terrible football guy.

The last decade of Spurs saw on-field success provide financial stimulus for a new stadium. If that stadium can guarantee income as it currently does - NFL, Sold out Beyoncé weeks, and so on…

He won’t risk routine £150m transfer windows to strive for CL qualification. He’s an arsehole. But he’s smart. City, Newcastle, Chelsea, United, Liverpool… will always outspend Spurs. He won’t try to compete. Solid consolidated top 7 finishes, European exposure and a few Europa League or Conference runs will keep the club ticking over.

He’ll sell (ie ENIC will sell) a huge stake in the club when the time is right.

He doesn’t give a shit about winning anything.

the_cliff

I don't see Kane at Madrid, for some reason I think he'll sign a new deal at Spurs...

Valencia Shin Crosses

Umm I mean yes? Madrid got to the semi finals of the UCL and won it the year before. They have many of the best young players/prospects in the world.

I just don’t agree with this thought process that signing Kane puts us in serious contention for every competition. I don’t think he goes to Real but if his only intention was to win stuff then they are better bet than us right now and that’s not really an indictment on us.

croadyman

Being reported now that Real have pulled out of the deal for Havertz and are going all in on Kane

Hate to say it but that's a tier 1 Madrid source so now I am gonna take it seriously

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I don't see Kane at Madrid, for some reason I think he'll sign a new deal at Spurs...
If all the stuff about him preferring a move to a PL club so he can take Shearer's record is true, I'd say the most likely scenario is him leaving on a free next summer, followed by him signing a new Spurs deal as the second most likely option.

croadyman

Umm I mean yes? Madrid got to the semi finals of the UCL and won it the year before. They have many of the best young players/prospects in the world.

I just don’t agree with this thought process that signing Kane puts us in serious contention for every competition. I don’t think he goes to Real but if his only intention was to win stuff then they are better bet than us right now and that’s not really an indictment on us.
I didn't see it happening until that last tweet

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
He'd be daft to wait another season, and Spurs would be daft not to cash in.

They will be able to drive his price up with both us and Real in for him. They will look smalltime either way and this season has proven that Kane alone isn't enough to get Europe.

They've also just hired an absolute no-one as a manager. Kane has totally outgrown them.

Idxomer

He doesn't suit this new manager's football, Spurs will sell him to start their rebuild.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Fecker has never won a trophy. Signing for Real should be above some EPL record that will still be broken by another person.

croadyman

Fecker has never won a trophy. Signing for Real should be above some EPL record that will still be broken by another person.
Yeah he is making the right choice,well we aren't one due to Levy wanting to screw us over

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag

I think you are overly optimistic because:

- Real won the CL how many times in the last decade?
- Real won more leagues than we did
- They have much higher chances of winning stuff in the future than us
- We are not 1 transfer away from being contenders for the PL or CL even if that transfer is Mbappe
- We are about 5-6 world class players away from challenging for a major trophy

croadyman

I think you are overly optimistic because:

- Real won the CL how many times in the last decade?
- Real won more leagues than we did
- They have much higher chances of winning stuff in the future than us
- We are not 1 transfer away from being contenders for the PL or CL even if that transfer is Mbappe
- We are about 5-6 world class players away from challenging for a major trophy
Yeah no brainer for him

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
As someone who is going through the process of emigrating to New Zealand for my job, there was literally an option for getting a visa by bringing a certain amount of funds/investment into the country (unfornatly im not rich)

So from my experience that seems to be the case.

Rusholme Ruffian

As someone who is going through the process of emigrating to New Zealand for my job, there was literally an option for getting a visa by bringing a certain amount of funds/investment into the country (unfornatly im not rich)

So from my experience that seems to be the case.
Yeah, I can see that money can cover off the logistical side, but not the emotional aspect.

Abraxas

I don't think Harry would be waffling on about kicking field goals if he wasn't very much open to moving abroad, to be fair. Hard to kick many field goals from London.

The main hope was that he majorly wanted to break PL records. Which he probably does, but likely not enough to turn down Real.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Everyone already panicking at losing Kane. If a Tier 1 journo reported he’s on his way to United everyone would be questioning it.

Let’s just wait and see what happens eh?

skc_18

Hate to say it but that's a tier 1 Madrid source so now I am gonna take it seriously
Yeah, probably makes most sense for Kane, Spurs and Real. Real needs a good striker for 1-2 seasons before signing Haaland or Mbappe.
Kane has every chance of emulating Benz and become Real fans' favorite. Kane should be all over this.