Harry Kane | Bayern Munich player

Rusholme Ruffian

Just wonder if moving to Madrid could be a bit of a poisoned chalice for Kane. Apart from the whole question of whether his family would settle and whether he would personally enjoy moving to a different country at this stage of his career/life let's not forget he'd be replacing the current Ballon D'Or holder and absolute Madrid legend. Madridistas are not exactly known for their patience and even a pretty good first season from him is going to look pretty unremarkable compared to Benzema's best. I'd say it's high risk high reward type scenario, and I'm just not sure that Harry Kane is that type of character.

Hughes35

Moving to Madrid is much harder than people are making out.

1. PL record
2. Young kids / family / schooling etc
3. Just generally moving country isn't easy / is scary
3. Madrid is a great club but the fans are brutal. If you go there, at some point you'd getting abuse etc

If I was Kane, I genuinely think I'd want to go to Utd. We would love him here.

I do worry we will spend all summer chasing though. We should go in now with an offer of 70-75MIllion, see what Levy says and take it from there. Get the ball moving,

Personally, 100Mill would be my walk away point.

Eddy_JukeZ

Real Madrid have to replace a lot of players.

They're not this surefire bet to be challenging for major honors next season. They could easily have another down season.

They only have 2 attackers on the books next season if I recall correctly.

Modric needs to be phased out. Kroos too arguably. Carvajal as well. Mendy might have to be replaced if his poor form continues and there's constant rumors that Madrid want to replace him.

Withnail

The idea that Kane wouldn't absolutely bang in goals for fun in Spain is a strange one to me. I don't really see the risk.

Although, Kane doesn't strike me as the type to move to Spain anyway. Regardless of the new child/house, premier league record etc, he could have moved to another club in England years ago and stuck with Spurs.

Rusholme Ruffian

The idea that Kane wouldn't absolutely bang in goals for fun in Spain is a strange one to me. I don't really see the risk.
There's every chance that he would, but the risk lies in him and/or his family not settling, which may have an affect on his performance. There's also the chance he might bang in a fair amount of goals, but still be viewed as a downgrade on Benzema by spoiled Madrid fans. He could easily come back from Spain being viewed as a 'failure' even if he did alright for them. There is far less of a risk moving to United in that context, but the flipside is that we have to be realistic and the rewards could be greater in Madrid IF he hits the ground running and they solve some of their other issues.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Madrid would be a good move for him, he already understands the concept of ceceo.

scottser

kane will stay at spurs and leave on a free next season. then he can sit back and watch the offers roll in without that slug levy salivating in his ear.

flappyjay

Moving to Madrid is much harder than people are making out.

1. PL record
2. Young kids / family / schooling etc
3. Just generally moving country isn't easy / is scary
3. Madrid is a great club but the fans are brutal. If you go there, at some point you'd getting abuse etc

If I was Kane, I genuinely think I'd want to go to Utd. We would love him here.

I do worry we will spend all summer chasing though. We should go in now with an offer of 70-75MIllion, see what Levy says and take it from there. Get the ball moving,

Personally, 100Mill would be my walk away point.
This point keeps coming out because people wish we sign kane. Varane and Casemiro left trophy winning Real Madrid with their young kids in tow. Most players are in the age range of 18-35, which means most of them have young kids yet they move teams all the time.

Mainoldo

This point keeps coming out because people wish we sign kane. Varane and Casemiro left trophy winning Real Madrid with their young kids in tow. Most players are in the age range of 18-35, which means most of them have young kids yet they move teams all the time.
I think the main cusp is the English do not move well. It’s very rare and him having a settled family for an Englishman is different to that of foreign players who move around a lot.

Hughes35

Varane is French and Casemiro is Brazilian. They had already left their home country much earlier in their careers.

Yes, people move abroad all the time (I have myself). To act like it's not a huge consideration isn't realistic.

Rusholme Ruffian

I mean, there's a bit of that there certainly, but not everyone is the same. Could you imagine Scholesy moving abroad? Personally I'm going on what I have seen/know of Kane (which isn't a huge amount admittedly), but he seems quite a homebody, married his childhood sweetheart, has his brother as agent, has stayed at Spurs for his entire career up till now - he just doesn't come across as the type who has ever planned to play abroad. Add into that the fact that he doesn't just have young kids but his wife is actually pregnant at the moment.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
They'll chew him up and spit him out insanely quickly. They're ruthless with club icons like Ronaldo (and Raul before that).

The charm offensive now will turn to the weaponizing the whole of the Spanish press against him the moment they find a long term striker. His level doesn't even have to drop -- if Mbappe / Haaland join and it ends up being Kane vs one of those two, Kane's getting kicked out even if he wins another CL for them.

I'm pretty sure Haaland will go to Spain in a couple of years when he's won the lot at City.
Kane has a lot of life in him as a #10; he can easily partner either of those players in the right set up. Kane to Madrid makes more sense than any English club from a pure footballing perspective.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I find it so dispiriting that people hold up ‘moving house with kids is a big deal’.

It’s really not. It’s character building. Kids that move countries almost always grow up to have a more rounded world view, a second language, and a spirit that looks beyond their local borders.

It feels like a subversion of reality to suggest we don’t all work as hard as we do in order to provide them with the kind of opportunity that footballers are provided with, with regards to overseas employment.

It all sounds so Little Englander.

youngrell

I don't think moving his family to Spain would be a big factor, I mean it is a very normal move even for the average Brit to consider. The PL goals record would play a bigger part in him wanting to stay here, IMO.

Member 101269

Some might; for me he and his misses are home birds and not leaving London.

BerryBerryShrew

I find it so dispiriting that people hold up ‘moving house with kids is a big deal’.

It’s really not. It’s character building. Kids that move countries almost always grow up to have a more rounded world view, a second language, and a spirit that looks beyond their local borders.

It feels like a subversion of reality to suggest we don’t all work as hard as we do in order to provide them with the kind of opportunity that footballers are provided with, with regards to overseas employment.

That may well be true, but does Kane see it that way? He may have a Little Englander mentality himself.

The_Midfielder

Yeah I don't think it is an issue
They will go to the beat private english schools..make new friends..

flappyjay

Yeah I don't think it is an issue
They will go to the beat private english schools..make new friends..
Older kids are harder to uproot than the young ones. If they go to Spain the young kids will be speaking good Spanish by this time next year. They pick up languages much quicker.

Rusholme Ruffian

You are totally misunderstanding most people's point. No-one is saying that moving abroad with kids is a bad thing - or something to avoid - just that it's a big decision and something that some may be more suited to than others. Seems like you are responding to an argument that nobody has made.

Olmer

Look at Arsenal, how hard it is to get back into the top 4-5 of the Premier League when you fall out of that group. Not participating in the CL is very unattractive to young and ambitious footballers. It's hard to build a strong squad.
Exactly. I think people underrate how much that means. If you lose this "top club" status once, it's very tough to reclaim it. It might take you a decade. Or two. Or forever.
Last summer the whole world was laughing at Barcelona for pulling levers, but I honestly understood why they were doing it and thought it made a lot of sense at least at some lever.

Now losing Kane even for 100M is a bad business because it involves risk of losing status. And for 100M you can only gamble once or twice for a replacement. And it's a bad gamble because I believe it has less than 50% chance of suceeding, especially in this market that is deprived of top level strikers. Basically Spurs are fecked if they sell and fecked if they don't.

Rusholme Ruffian

Exactly. I think people underrate how much that means. If you lose this "top club" status once, it's very tough to reclaim it. It might take you a decade. Or two. Or forever.
Last summer the whole world was laughing at Barcelona for pulling levers, but I honestly understood why they were doing it and thought it made a lot of sense at least at some lever.

Now losing Kane even for 100M is a bad business because it involves risk of losing status. And for 100M you can only gamble once or twice for a replacement. And it's a bad gamble because I believe it has less than 50% chance of suceeding, especially in this market that is deprived of top level strikers. Basically Spurs are fecked if they sell and fecked if they don't.
But he's probably going to leave in one year's time anyway, and it's looking pretty unlikely that they will qualify for CL next season with or without him. Spurs need a massive reset and a sizeable rebuild - keeping Kane for 1 last year just kicks all of that further down the road and deprives them of a big chunk of money for a fresh start.

UnrelatedPsuedo

You are totally misunderstanding most people's point. No-one is saying that moving abroad with kids is a bad thing - or something to avoid - just that it's a big decision and something that some may be more suited to than others. Seems like you are responding to an argument that nobody has made.
Seems like you’re responding to an argument I didn’t make.

Plenty here have made the point that the kids should be a consideration. They should. Moving them overseas would be a galvanising input to a move to Madrid. Not something that should keep him here. Everyone is putting it n the wrong column. That’s my point.

It’s really not a big decision. Kane’s kids will have full and unfettered access to all their existing friends. I dare say his wife would spend lots of time in the UK still. It’s not like they’ll sell their house and shit. They’ll own homes in both places. Schools will be amazing. Lifestyle much the same but in near constant sunshine.

I do think that Kane is the kind of fella that is quite small minded. He doesn’t seem to be too expansive in ambition. From the outside looking in he seems to be more of a modern day Le Tissier, than anything like an actual modern English player like Bellingham.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The most underrated thing about Kane is that he can play both as a False 9 & a traditional number 9.

Play creative wide forwards like Sancho, Bruno, Amad, Mount - then Kane plays like a more traditional striker in the box.

Play inverted forwards like Rashford, Garanacho, Antony & the unamed - then Kane plays deeper like a False 9.

Even if he may not be the best striker - he is the player that gets the best out of the rest of the squad & that’s why I think he is key to our expectations next season or 2.

TheGame

I would hardly call concerns about uprooting your family away from school etc and their friends alongside yours and your partner's families and friends 'Little Englander' mentality. No one is saying moving is a bad thing, its just that it's a huge decision. As a parent myself, I can understand why.

TheGame

Plenty here have made the point that the kids should be a consideration. They should. Moving them overseas would be a galvanising input to a move to Madrid. Not something that should keep him here. Everyone is putting it n the wrong column. That’s my point.

It’s really not a big decision. Kane’s kids will have full and unfettered access to all their existing friends. I dare say his wife would spend lots of time in the UK still. It’s not like they’ll sell their house and shit. They’ll own homes in both places. Schools will be amazing. Lifestyle much the same but in near constant sunshine.

I do think that Kane is the kind of fella that is quite small minded. He doesn’t seem to be too expansive in ambition. From the outside looking in he seems to be more of a modern day Le Tissier, than anything like an actual modern English player like Bellingham.
You seem to be making alot of assumptions with what evidence exactly?

In terms of up moving your family not being a big decision :wenger:

Rusholme Ruffian

I'm responding to this comment:

"I find it so dispiriting that people hold up ‘moving house with kids is a big deal’.

It’s really not. It’s character building."

You then go on to list all the positive things about moving kids abroad. But nobody has denied that there are huge positives to moving your family abroad, or argued that he shouldn't.

It's also pretty flippant and sweeping to say that uprooting your whole family - including your pregnant wife - from their support networks and friends and family is really not a big deal. I'm a dad of 2 and would agonise over moving town (let alone country) and how it might impact the important relationships that all of the family have. I mean, I have done - multiple times - but not without giving it huge amounts of thought and taking my wife's views into account too. And as the kids have got older, and their friendships are more central to their lives, I would think even harder about it.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I would hardly call concerns about uprooting your family away from school etc and their friends alongside yours and your partner's families and friends 'Little Englander' mentality. No one is saying moving is a bad thing, its just that it's a huge decision. As a parent myself, I can understand why.
Just thinking the same myself. I remember moving school as a 14 year old from England to Wales leaving all my mates behind and finding it very tough to settle - and that’s without the language barrier. Truly bizarre attitude.

davidmichael

If we don’t get Kane and Osimhen is priced even higher so a no go would people be happy if we went for Ferguson from Brighton with Felix in on loan from Atletico for a year also ? I think Felix looked good for Chelsea and showed he can play in the PL whilst Ferguson could progress for a year, maybe go for Kane on a free in 2024 and Felix goes back to Atletico.

GueRed

if Kane wasnt English he'd be rated higher on here down the years.

He's been World Class.

Batistuta did a similar thing with Fiorentina by overstaying. He eventually moved to Roma at 30yrs old and got a big league title win but by then he was past his prime as his ankles were fecked.

If Kane habours any ambitions to win league titles and an opportunity props up again like City in 2021 he needs to move this time. If the Real Madrid interest is real?..go

UnrelatedPsuedo

You seem to be making alot of assumptions with what evidence exactly?

In terms of up moving your family not being a big decision :wenger:
I'm responding to this comment:

"I find it so dispiriting that people hold up ‘moving house with kids is a big deal’.

It’s really not. It’s character building."

You then go on to list all the positive things about moving kids abroad. But nobody has denied that there are huge positives to moving your family abroad, or argued that he shouldn't.

It's also pretty flippant and sweeping to say that uprooting your whole family - including your pregnant wife - from their support networks and friends and family is really not a big deal. I'm a dad of 2 and would agonise over moving town (let alone country) and how it might impact the important relationships that all of the family have. I mean, I have done - multiple times - but not without giving it huge amounts of thought and taking my wife's views into account too. And as the kids have got older, and their friendships are more central to their lives, I would think even harder about it.
I think people are applying it to their own lives. Yeah, it’s tough to make it a guaranteed success on even £100k a year. But I’ve done it twice on less than that.

But £18,000,000 a year? With millions in the bank already? With an entire corporate infrastructure to find you schools, homes, language lessons, concierge services, a dedicated travel agent, access to private jets, the ability to fly out family members and friends every week. Hell, but your home AND the one next door. Or 4. Have a rotating cycle of your entire support network. You’d see people more than you ever had. Set up a travel agent and give all your closest people access to book flights whenever they like. He’s IMPOSSIBLY wealthy. He will never run out of cash. People are talking as if he’s living our lives.

“I turned down a move to the biggest team on earth, to enable you to continue going to school in London” isn’t any kind of life lesson to give kids as they come of age.

Plenty clearly disagree with me. But it’s all so low rent. Turning down Real Madrid because you thought moving children would be tough… it’s so uninspiring.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Ultimately it comes down to 2 things:

1. How much does he love life in England?
2. How important is it for him to break Shearer's record?

Apart from the two points above, Real makes more sense if we're being neutral and honest. The status of playing for United has been seriously diminished post Fergie whereas nothing has changed when it comes to Real. If he goes there he's almost guaranteed to win a big trophy as well. He will also be sure keep his legend status in Spurs since he didn't join a rival.

So... Let's hope he wants to stay in England and chase that record!

Rusholme Ruffian

I think people are applying it to their own lives. Yeah, it’s tough to make it a guaranteed success on even £100k a year. But I’ve done it twice on less than that.

But £18,000,000 a year? With millions in the bank already? With an entire corporate infrastructure to find you schools, homes, language lessons, concierge services, a dedicated travel agent, access to private jets, the ability to fly out family members and friends every week. Hell, but your home AND the one next door. Or 4. Have a rotating cycle of your entire support network. You’d see people more than you ever had. Set up a travel agent and give all your closest people access to book flights whenever they like. He’s IMPOSSIBLY wealthy. He will never run out of cash. People are talking as if he’s living our lives.

“I turned down a move to the biggest team on earth, to enable you to continue going to school in London” isn’t any kind of life lesson to give kids as they come of age.

Plenty clearly disagree with me. But it’s all so low rent. Turning down Real Madrid because you thought moving children would be tough… it’s so uninspiring.
Ah, so this is what it comes down to 'I've done it, so it's not a big deal' - also, 'I've done it so it clearly must be the best thing for everyone to do'. Everyone is different, everyone places value on different things - and people are viewing it through the prism of what we know of Harry Kane. However much money you may have moving your family to another country is a massive deal. And the thing is, he already lives in an incredible house, in the lap of luxury - and he might (for instance) value his kids living close to their grandparents, and his wife feeling comfortable and secure ahead of her birth and new baby, more than he does the opportunity to play in Spain?

Last edited:

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters

Have you actually done it?

I've done it and it is a big deal and it's not for everyone, I'm sure there are plenty on here that will testify to that

UnrelatedPsuedo

Have you actually done it?

I've done it and it is a big deal and it's not for everyone, I'm sure there are plenty on here that will testify to that
Yeah, a couple of times. I’m well aware of lots of downside.

But my point remains; Both times would have been a walk in the park if I was earning £300k a week.

You or I?… we have jeopardy baked in. The job MUST go well in order to succeed. The job search is hard. House hunting. Setting up bank accounts. Learning a language, local customs, driving on the other side of the road, we have to maintain all these things with little or no safety net.

If you’re richer than Christ? Zero drama.

I’m not disregarding the needs of children, extended family or your day to day community. Only that if you or I were earning in a month, what our entire network of our 20 closest friends and family earned in a year combined… it’s all a cake walk

UnrelatedPsuedo

Ah, so this is what it comes down to 'I've done it, so it's not a big deal' - also, 'I've done it so it clearly must be the best thing for everyone to do'. Everyone is different, everyone places value on different things - and people are viewing it through the prism of what we know of Harry Kane. However much money you may have moving your family to another country is a massive deal. And the thing is, he already lives in an incredible house, in the lap of luxury - and he might (for instance) value his kids living close to their grandparents, and his wife feeling comfortable and secure ahead of her birth and new baby, more than he does the opportunity to play in Spain?
Yes. He may value all of that highly. That’s completely fine. I wouldn’t criticise him signing for United instead of Madrid. But for a multi millionaire, Madrid is as close to London as Manchester.

That’s not to say sick and elderly relatives would find it as easy. But fit and able folks with zero cost concerns and a bit of gumption, can spend a weekend in Madrid as easy as Manchester.

A footballers career is short. Giving up the chance to play for Real Madrid because it‘s a little bit inconvenient, is something I can’t get across. We don’t have to agree.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The Madrid media train has started. Safe to say he’s not coming here.

Rusholme Ruffian

Yes. He may value all of that highly. That’s completely fine. I wouldn’t criticise him signing for United instead of Madrid. But for a multi millionaire, Madrid is as close to London as Manchester.

That’s not to say sick and elderly relatives would find it as easy. But fit and able folks with zero cost concerns and a bit of gumption, can spend a weekend in Madrid as easy as Manchester.

A footballers career is short. Giving up the chance to play for Real Madrid because it‘s a little bit inconvenient, is something I can’t get across. We don’t have to agree.
And I can't get across the way you characterise uprooting a family as 'a little bit of inconvenience'. You seem to just view it all as just a matter of logistics!?

Last edited:

UnrelatedPsuedo

And I can't get across the way you characterise uprooting a family as 'a little bit of inconvenience'!
Why not? It’s simply not a big deal if money is no concern.

The first time my daughter left her friends it felt biblical. The first time she got on a plane alone was tough.

After less than a year, she’d book a flight herself, arrange her friends to visit for holidays, had learned a new language.

People in England are small and cosseted too often. I felt immense privilege as a working class kid to be able to provide that opportunity. To have unlimited money and think ‘this will be tough’, purely on a surface level… mad.

There are of course an endless number of considerations. Maybe a family member is sick. Maybe a kid has learning difficulties. And on and on. But without knowing details of his life… Kane moving to Madrid is barely harder than moving to Manchester.

Rusholme Ruffian

Why not? It’s simply not a big deal if money is no concern.

The first time my daughter left her friends it felt biblical. The first time she got on a plane alone was tough.

After less than a year, she’d book a flight herself, arrange her friends to visit for holidays, had learned a new language.

People in England are small and cosseted too often. I felt immense privilege as a working class kid to be able to provide that opportunity. To have unlimited money and think ‘this will be tough’, purely on a surface level… mad.

There are of course an endless number of considerations. Maybe a family member is sick. Maybe a kid has learning difficulties. And on and on. But without knowing details of his life… Kane moving to Madrid is barely harder than moving to Manchester.
You seem to view it all as just a matter of logistics!