Harry Kane | Bayern Munich player

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
24 hours after Mbappe news yesterday and we brief we're out of this Kane race?

Most positive thing about this is making the decision nice and early.

L1nk

The fact that we're seemingly not even going to try suggests to me that we don't have the money.
Or the more likely scenario is Levy is just demanding too much and won't budge, and we aren't willing to wait all summer to call his bluff. The article seems to suggest rather than us not being able to afford it, it's more that we aren't willing to go to the lengths it would require for a near 30 year old with 1 year left on his contract.

If you look at the wording

ForeverRed1

You can keep repeating that it won't make them all of the sudden available. I mean how many "proven world class" even exist currently? Kane, Lewa, Haaland, Benzema, Osimhen. That's it, that's the list. 2 of those are with our rivals who will never sell to us, one is off to Saudi, one is with Barca, and the last will cost a world record fee and isn't for sale otherwise.

It's like people think it's as simple as submitting a bid for "world class strikers" and then dusting our hands like the job is done. It's not happening, so yes the next best thing is to look at high potential young players to mould.
kane or Osimhen and both have a price. Both will be expensive but they are available. If we’re ambitious to compete then that’s the level. And yes kane would be available if the price was right, levy is a business man

Dominos

The fact that we're seemingly not even going to try suggests to me that we don't have the money.
I'm sure we have £100+m to spend, but not on one player, and not one who's 30 and 1 year left on his deal.

The club need to draw the line somewhere. Every report I've seen suggests Levy is flat out refusing to sell to a PL club, it may legitimately take £150m to even tempt him. It's just not good business.

Ciddy

Going to have to be a very smart signing for us up front now. No Kane, we certainly can’t afford Osh, which if I’m honest, I’m personally not sure of a quality number 9 that we can target. We might have to settle for a youngster and we’ll end up seeing Rashford and Martial (who will likely play 4 games next season).

Valencia Shin Crosses

kane or Osimhen and both have a price. Both will be expensive but they are available. If we’re ambitious to compete then that’s the level. And yes kane would be available if the price was right, levy is a business man
Okay the "price" that you are talking about is something like 150m. Is that what you want? 150m and basically 0 signings elsewhere? Because that's what we are talking about.

Levy isn't selling to us like he would for Madrid, so the only way he's agreeing is if you pay something like the above number as a suicidal premium. DeLaurentis already said he's accepting no less than double for VO and they don't need to sell anyways.

Baxquux

Levy has a well-earned reputation for 'cutting off his nose to spite his face' for the purposes of maintaining 'toughness', as well as not acknowledging where Spurs are in terms of troughs or transitions. As people have said, there's also some more 'sophisticated' and 'game theory' style stuff involved in his thinking (certainly Levy himself would tell you that), including gamble on potential CL qualification dividends from near-certain Kane goals vs high risk if bringing in new (unproven)striker etc, but I think he just won't sell at all to PL clubs, unless majority owners (Lewis) put pressure on him.

L1nk

You're not thinking about it clearly, Osimhen is apparently around 150 mill and Kane will be 100+ mill on a 30 year old with 1 year left on his contract. This is just financial stupidity if you are on a budget this summer.

Rusholme Ruffian

I'm sure we have £100+m to spend, but not on one player, and not one who's 30 and 1 year left on his deal.

The club need to draw the line somewhere. Every report I've seen suggests Levy is flat out refusing to sell to a PL club, it may legitimately take £150m to even tempt him. It's just not good business.
Well yeah, but that's kinda my point. If we've got, say, £150 million to spend but we need to sign a top class striker, midfielder and goalkeeper at a minimum, then no, we can't afford Kane, we never could and it was silly to ever consider it.

mu4c_20le

Could also be that we dont want to spend stupid money anymore. Glad we are sticking to our guns, Woody would've caved and paid 80m for Mount already.

Rusholme Ruffian

You're not thinking about it clearly, Osimhen is apparently around 150 mill and Kane will be 100+ mill on a 30 year old with 1 year left on his contract. This is just financial stupidity if you are on a budget this summer.
But if Kane hits the ground running and scores 25 goals per season for the next three years, helping us to a few trophies on the way, then that IS good business. If you sign Osimhen for £150 million and he flops, or doesn't settle, then that £150 million is very bad business and your massive asset will have depreciated hugely. There are nuances to this.

doomy20

Just arrange something with him behind doors, a nice lil signature bonus to ensure he‘s joining as a free agent next year.

But for now, huge investment is needed, I say pull out of the Mount deal to have 150 available for the 9 position. Martial is as bad as Weghorst, just to have them in the club is embarrassing.

Wilt

The only way we can get Kane is, if he submit transfer request and refuse to train similar with what Antony did last summer. If he is ready to do that i don't think Man United will miss him and we will do everything to bring him.
Agree most of this, though didn’t agree with arsehole Antony going on strike ….Kane wouldn’t do that.

Kane must submit a transfer request.

croadyman

Just arrange something with him behind doors, a nice lil signature bonus to ensure he‘s joining as a free agent next year.

But for now, huge investment is needed, I say pull out of the Mount deal to have 150 available for the 9 position. Martial is as bad as Weghorst, just to have them in the club is embarrassing.
Sorry to disappoint you but there is no way we are pulling out on the Mount deal

croadyman

Agree most of this, though didn’t agree with arsehole Antony going on strike ….Kane wouldn’t do that.

Kane must submit a transfer request.
I don't see him doing it now interest is ended

Sparky Rhiwabon

Thing with Kane at the price and his age, it’s fine if that’s the player that clinches you the title but we are some way away from that so it’s just sort of consolidating top four for a few years. This is not a Van Persie situation.

L1nk

But if Kane hits the ground running and scores 25 goals per season for the next three years, helping us to a few trophies on the way, then that IS good business. If you sign Osimhen for £150 million and he flops, or doesn't settle, then that £150 million is very bad business and your massive asset will have depreciated hugely. There are nuances to this.
But is it good business when you need to sign other players this summer and you suddenly cannot because you've spunked most of your money on Kane, and whilst it's likely you are right he'd score 25 goals a season easy, its not impossible that he won't. I don't believe him alone will get us closer to the title and we need to invest in multiple areas for that to happen. If the choice is Kane and maybe nobody else but really cheap squad players this summer or a cheaper younger striker and some quality additions that upgrade our first team i'm picking the latter, and seems the recruitment team and ETH might agree

croadyman

Thing with Kane at the price and his age, it’s fine if that’s the player that clinches you the title but we are some way away from that so it’s just sort of consolidating top four for a few years. This is not a Van Persie situation.
Yeah we are definitely more than a striker away,however worry where the goals come from

Sparky Rhiwabon

Yeah we are definitely more than a striker away,however worry where the goals come from
Definitely, I’m just not sure we can afford to spend big on another player that will soon need replacing again (De Gea, Varane, Casemiro, Eriksen). I feel like we should be building more long term with a view to challenging City in 3-5 years.

Rusholme Ruffian

But is it good business when you need to sign other players this summer and you suddenly cannot because you've spunked most of your money on Kane, and whilst it's likely you are right he'd score 25 goals a season easy, its not impossible that he won't. I don't believe him alone will get us closer to the title and we need to invest in multiple areas for that to happen. If the choice is Kane and maybe nobody else but really cheap squad players this summer or a cheaper younger striker and some quality additions that upgrade our first team i'm picking the latter, and seems the recruitment team and ETH might agree
You were making the comparison between Kane and Osimhen. If we sign him then we've spunked even more of the budget up the wall, with less of a chance of him delivering the kind of numbers that Kane would. Yes, he'll still be young in 3 years time but we might be on to another manager or two by then, who knows?

Robertd0803

Well it makes sense. Theres no way we were spending 100 million plus on a 30 year old with 1 year left on his contract.
No point wasting time.

Chungy

But the question is whether he'd help us win the trophies that really count.
With just 1 new striker, we're not challenging for the league consistently (we might fluke it ala Leicester, but we'd never sustain such a challenge, realistically, we need at least 5-6 new, great players to have a hope).
The CL, that's a coin toss, even City only managed to win it once.
The FA cup & the league cup, are they worth it?

So I'd prefer to actually show some true ambition (and frankly some realism), and plan to consistently challenge and have confidence of actually beating City to the title year in year out, even if I have to wait 2-3 years before being able to do so. As opposed the unrealistic hope that just having Kane will make enough of a difference.

Rusholme Ruffian

But the question is whether he'd help us win the trophies that really count.
With just 1 new striker, we're not challenging for the league consistently (we might fluke it ala Leicester, but we'd never sustain such a challenge, realistically, we need at least 5-6 new, great players to have a hope).
The CL, that's a coin toss, even City only managed to win it once.
The FA cup & the league cup, are they worth it?

So I'd prefer to actually show some true ambition (and frankly some realism), and plan to consistently challenge and have confidence of actually beating City to the title year in year out, even if I have to wait 2-3 years before being able to do so. As opposed the unrealistic hope that just having Kane will make enough of a difference.
Is that really how things happen with United though? I mean, I guess it might under new ownership, but the reality is that in 2-3 years time you would have Osimhen coming into his prime, but Casemiro and Varane would be past it. Unless you have the budget and structure to genuinely create a sustainable process of constantly adding great players - almost whether you need them or not - like City do, then you're better off going for bust. It feels like we've been working towards some kind of mythical future which we never actually reach for years now.

Superden

I think that's the sensible thing. Let's build for the future, this team is not primed to win the league yet and why spend so much money for only the next couple of seasons.
Yep, let's just work on our 4th place trophy challenge.

Ffs, we're man utd, we should be building a team to challenge now, not this bs period of transition nonsense.

croadyman

Yep, let's just work on our 4th place trophy challenge.

Ffs, we're man utd, we should be building a team to challenge now, not this bs period of transition nonsense.
So what should we do about the rest of team

Chungy

Is that really how things happen with United though? I mean, I guess it might under new ownership, but the reality is that in 2-3 years time you would have Osimhen coming into his prime, but Casemiro and Varane would be past it. Unless you have the budget and structure to genuinely create a sustainable process of constantly adding great players - almost whether you need them or not - like City do, then you're better off going for bust. It feels like we've been working towards some kind of mythical future which we never actually reach for years now.
And we've gone for bust with the Lukakus, Ronaldos, Sanchezes of the world. How has that worked out for us?

Frankly, unless you're delusional, there's no way with 1 extra player, no matter how good he is, that we're going to be able to catch City and actually win the league next year. We need to make up at least 15 points, most probably we'll need an extra 25 points for a realistic challenge. No matter how good Kane is (or even Mbappe), we're not catching City next year.

Superden

So what should we do about the rest of team
A world class CF and a CM are the two glaring gaps in our first team. We should be going all out to solve that. Of course they are going to cost 100mill each, that's modern day football.

Superden

And we've gone for bust with the Lukakus, Ronaldos, Sanchezes of the world. How has that worked out for us?

Frankly, unless you're delusional, there's no way with 1 extra player, no matter how good he is, that we're going to be able to catch City and actually win the league next year. We need to make up at least 15 points, most probably we'll need an extra 25 points for a realistic challenge. No matter how good Kane is (or even Mbappe), we're not catching City next year.
Liverpool went out and got the best GK and CB they could, and won the league. They didn't piss about looking for bargains when they had an opportunity to challenge.