Harry Kane | Bayern Munich player

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Come on Erik, just one bid big to test the water... Levy's been ordered to sell and there's no way Bayern will pay £100m

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
If Bayern agree a fee, the fee to United will be that plus £50m+. Levy would rather cut his own nose off than sell to United or any other PL team.

We offered more for Modric and Bale and he sold them both to Madrid anyway. The only way Kane ends up at United is if he leaves Bayern for us in a couple of years.
I’m not sure it would be though. I think the idea of a club reaching an acceptable fee then chucking an extra £50m is a bit ludicrous to be honest.

If Kane sees an acceptable fee is reached and then Spurs start playing hardball on other interested clubs I don’t see how that results in anything other than Kane leaving on a free.

The key difference with Modric and Bale is the players both wanted to go to Madrid and who could blame them? Madrid are probably the one club I think that 99/100 players would choose over us if given the chance. I do believe Kane would see United as a more attractive prospect than Bayern.

C'est Moi Cantona

Spurs still have hope about Kane signing another contract. Look at the news articles. Compare this to Mount making it categorically clear he wouldn’t sign one and forcing Chelsea’s hand.
Kane is being particular about not forcing his way out and isn’t putting Spurs under maximum pressure.
If Kane made it clear he wouldn’t sign a new contract and did not want to travel abroad, Spurs would be negotiating with a domestic club.
He is maybe just a gentleman, or a bit weak, in that he has agreed for Spurs to negiotiate with a top club abroad first, I am sure the figures involved will be alot lower than if United had gone in properly for him anyway.

There is also the arguement that no Premiership club will go for him at the figures quoted, knowing they can just wait 12 months and get him for free. City don't need him, we can't afford him, Arsenal can't afford/don't need him, he is very unlikely to go to Chelsea, so it could just be that Bayern are the only ones who will actually pay top money for him now, the rest will just wait until next year.

I sense a reluctance for him wanting to go to Bayern, and the talk of him signing a new deal if Spurs have a great season, is not only very unlikely to happen given it's Spurs, but probably just lip service for the fans anyway.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
He is maybe just a gentleman, or a bit weak, in that he has agreed for Spurs to negiotiate with a top club abroad first, I am sure the figures involved will be alot lower than if United had gone in properly for him anyway.

There is also the arguement that no Premiership club will go for him at the figures quoted, knowing they can just wait 12 months and get him for free. City don't need him, we can't afford him, Arsenal can't afford/don't need him, he is very unlikely to go to Chelsea, so it could just be that Bayern are the only ones who will actually pay top money for him now, the rest will just wait until next year.

I sense a reluctance for him wanting to go to Bayern, and the talk of him signing a new deal if Spurs have a great season, is not only very unlikely to happen given it's Spurs, but probably just lip service for the fans anyway.
Why would he be unwilling to go to Chelsea? He'd be in London playing for a manager he's worked with before and it's not as if Chelsea are not capable of winning trophies.

cyberman

Why would he be unwilling to go to Chelsea? He'd be in London playing for a manager he's worked with before and it's not as if Chelsea are not capable of winning trophies.
He’s kill his standing amongst Spurs fans. Isn’t there a weird rivalry between the two?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

I personally think he’s very comfortable at Spurs, not desperate to leave and will only leave for a premium that leaves him and Spurs happy.
I mean, his people are briefing he’s open to looking at a contract extension if a fee can’t be agreed and Spurs show signs of progress.
Our club is right not to play a part in this charade.

Last edited:

Chairman Steve

I don’t think it helps having his brother as his agent and I don’t think his brother has any other clients, so you’ve got an under-experienced agent against Levy who is a shrewd, experienced and somewhat scheming businessman.

crossy1686

career ending
I’m not sure it would be though. I think the idea of a club reaching an acceptable fee then chucking an extra £50m is a bit ludicrous to be honest.

If Kane sees an acceptable fee is reached and then Spurs start playing hardball on other interested clubs I don’t see how that results in anything other than Kane leaving on a free.

The key difference with Modric and Bale is the players both wanted to go to Madrid and who could blame them? Madrid are probably the one club I think that 99/100 players would choose over us if given the chance. I do believe Kane would see United as a more attractive prospect than Bayern.
Alright, you're operating under the assumption that Spurs are happy to sell to absolutely anyone as long as they get the money, let me put this another way:

Spurs, who rightly or wrongly consider themselves a direct rival to United, do not under any circumstance want to sell their best ever player to Manchester United or any other rival for that matter. Politically, what message does that send to the entire Spurs fanbase?

Not only does that make Levy's position absolutely untenable, it also puts Tottenham much further down the pecking order in 'big club' terms while elevating United past the point Tottenham can even dream of catching them. Why would anyone at Tottenham, with Tottenham's best interests at heart, want that for the club?

So what's the price on that then? £100m? £200m? £300m? The reality is, selling Kane to United costs them more than the transfer value of the player, plus they will never be able to replace Kane with a calibur of playing Kane is. It's not worth it to even consider selling Kane to United or anyone in the PL. It's very naive to think we can just nip in with a cheeky bid when they accept Bayern's offer and think we can just hijack the deal. They'd rather he retired.

Donut

Honestly I think if City were in for him (and they didn't have Haaland) then he'd kick up a fuss and insist he wouldn't sign a new contract and demand a move. H'e break the PL record and be essentially guaranteed silverware which would be the perfect outcome for him. Unfortunately I don't think he sees us as a safe bet to pick up some silverware with, even if we are at the moment an upgrade on Spurs. Thats why he's not been pushing for a move to United.

I think he wants to stay in England but not risk upsetting Spurs and their fans, especially if a domestic move doesn't guarantee him trophies (and let's be honest, it doesn't with us). I'd wager he's pretty lukewarm on the Bayern idea at best.
Agree with this. He will go though if they agree the fee. Hopefully they don’t and he leaves for free next year.

Baxquux

I don’t think it helps having his brother as his agent and I don’t think his brother has any other clients, so you’ve got an under-experienced agent against Levy who is a shrewd, experienced and somewhat scheming businessman.
Yeah, I'm not in favour of huge entourages, but at the least Kane should have something like a co-agent or senior advisor, either with relevant legal experience or direct (football-adjacent) negotiation experience, on all his contract and sponsorship stuff. I imagine he's got a legal firm on call (like United players would have Brabners, at least last i checked) when necessary to deal with personal image rights as well as private/business purchases, but that's slightly different...

AlexiV

Supports
FCB
Honestly I think if City were in for him (and they didn't have Haaland) then he'd kick up a fuss and insist he wouldn't sign a new contract and demand a move.
Didn't that already happen in 2021? He didn't kick a fuss and stayed. His transfers sagas all end up with him staying at Spurs. It's becoming tiresome.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Much though Kane would improve us, I'm particularly glad we make a quick call this wasn't going to happen and moved on. It would not be fun to be going into the season with a pursuit for him dragging on.

Laurencio

He has certainly left a lot of money on the table through his career. Given his ability and consistency he could have done a Zlatan and played for numerous heavy hitters and won a lot of trophies.

Djemba-Djemba

Much though Kane would improve us, I'm particularly glad we make a quick call this wasn't going to happen and moved on. It would not be fun to be going into the season with a pursuit for him dragging on.
Yeah same.

Kane was my dream signing , I think he'd have made a huge difference to the side and had an immediate impact unlike Hojlund who is more of a long term buy. I still worry we won't have enough goals next season where as with Kane that wouldn't be an issue at all.

But I don't blame Utd whatsoever for quickly deciding it wasn't worth even trying to negotiate with Spurs. It was the sensible thing to move on and go for another striker.

Levy relishes this, hes a complete nightmare to deal with and you just know he's going to drag this out as long as he can. Bayern will be sent mad with this for the next month.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Alright, you're operating under the assumption that Spurs are happy to sell to absolutely anyone as long as they get the money, let me put this another way:

Spurs, who rightly or wrongly consider themselves a direct rival to United, do not under any circumstance want to sell their best ever player to Manchester United or any other rival for that matter. Politically, what message does that send to the entire Spurs fanbase?

Not only does that make Levy's position absolutely untenable, it also puts Tottenham much further down the pecking order in 'big club' terms while elevating United past the point Tottenham can even dream of catching them. Why would anyone at Tottenham, with Tottenham's best interests at heart, want that for the club?

So what's the price on that then? £100m? £200m? £300m? The reality is, selling Kane to United costs them more than the transfer value of the player, plus they will never be able to replace Kane with a calibur of playing Kane is. It's not worth it to even consider selling Kane to United or anyone in the PL. It's very naive to think we can just nip in with a cheeky bid when they accept Bayern's offer and think we can just hijack the deal. They'd rather he retired.
I understand your position on this.

Id argue though that whether selling to Bayern or the PL the message is similar. Kane is leaving to win. He doesn’t think he can do that at Spurs. Whether they sell him or he leaves on a free it’s the same message. If anything the fact he feels a guaranteed trophy at Bayern is better than the PL with Spurs is just as damaging as him leaving for another PL club.

Any scenario where Kane leaves makes Spurs look smaller than the club he leaves for. The fanbase aren’t deluded they know they’ve gotten the peak years out of Kane and a CL final out of it too. Just look at Spurs window so far what have they done to gain on rivals? The main signing Maddison isn’t going to propel them to the next level.

Reportedly the owners have told Levy to sell if he won’t sign a contract which again is sensible business. Spurs aren’t in the CL so his elite ability isn’t going to pay for itself this season. And the prospect of losing him on a free means even if they did secure CL football the cost of not selling him is ~£100m whereas even if they win every game in the CL up to the final it’s only worth £85.1m. So even in the most optimistic circumstances Kane isn’t getting you value for money for one season guaranteed at Spurs.

I don’t think we will try and do that and I’ve said a few times now that I don’t see an approach from us for Kane and doubt we even would but if push came to shove and we offered £100m for him I don’t see any sane owner or chairman ignoring that bid.

Alemar

I don’t think we will try and do that and I’ve said a few times now that I don’t see an approach from us for Kane and doubt we even would but if push came to shove and we offered £100m for him I don’t see any sane owner or chairman ignoring that bid.
Why would we need to solve Spurs’ problems? It’s madness to pay 100m for a striker nearing his 40s, and who also reportedly wants over 500k per week salary.

So if they don’t want to sell for sensible money, it’s their player to lose (on a free) next year

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Why would we need to solve Spurs’ problems? It’s madness to pay 100m for a striker nearing his 40s, and who also reportedly wants over 500k per week salary.

So if they don’t want to sell for sensible money, it’s their player to lose (on a free) next year
I didn’t say we were going to?

northernsoul74

Nearing his 40s?

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters

Bloody hell, he was 30 last Friday and now he's nearing his 40's :confused:

doomy20

This. Now that Hojlund is secured and seeing that Levy is also playing hardball with Bayern, insisting to drag this on all summer and wanted 120M+, I am actually so glad we closed the case. "Old" Utd would have been dragged along with it all summer and missed out on other targets. Also, Hojlund is like on a third of Kanes wages, which is a good feeling.

Kaos

Didn't that already happen in 2021? He didn't kick a fuss and stayed. His transfers sagas all end up with him staying at Spurs. It's becoming tiresome.
Back then he still had 3 years on his contract, so Levy held all the cards.

Now its different, he has a year left and for the first time is in the driving seat for his future. Spurs can't let him go for free so if he wanted to he could kick up a fuss and go to any club that were interested in him.

crossy1686

career ending
I understand your position on this.

Id argue though that whether selling to Bayern or the PL the message is similar. Kane is leaving to win. He doesn’t think he can do that at Spurs. Whether they sell him or he leaves on a free it’s the same message. If anything the fact he feels a guaranteed trophy at Bayern is better than the PL with Spurs is just as damaging as him leaving for another PL club.

Any scenario where Kane leaves makes Spurs look smaller than the club he leaves for. The fanbase aren’t deluded they know they’ve gotten the peak years out of Kane and a CL final out of it too. Just look at Spurs window so far what have they done to gain on rivals? The main signing Maddison isn’t going to propel them to the next level.

Reportedly the owners have told Levy to sell if he won’t sign a contract which again is sensible business. Spurs aren’t in the CL so his elite ability isn’t going to pay for itself this season. And the prospect of losing him on a free means even if they did secure CL football the cost of not selling him is ~£100m whereas even if they win every game in the CL up to the final it’s only worth £85.1m. So even in the most optimistic circumstances Kane isn’t getting you value for money for one season guaranteed at Spurs.

Just ask yourself one question and you'll get the answer to this whole thing.

When we lost Ronaldo the first time round, would you have been happy if he went to Chelsea for an extra couple of quid instead of Madrid?

Forget the details, just focus on us losing our best ever player in the modern era to a direct rival and ask yourself how that sits. Then ask yourself why you think Tottenham would allow Kane to join us for the same amount, not extra, Bayern are willing to pay.

Red the Bear

Something less generic

When we lost Ronaldo the first time round, would you have been happy if he went to Chelsea for an extra couple of quid instead of Madrid?

Forget the details, just focus on us losing our best ever player in the modern era to a direct rival and ask yourself how that sits. Then ask yourself why you think Tottenham would allow Kane to join us for the same amount, not extra, Bayern are willing to pay.
No matter how people try to slice it spurs are not a top club so the comparison is moot, for all intents and purposes Newcastle are their most direct rivals in securing top 4 not us while in the comparison you provided Chelsea where direct rivals for the title and repeatedly reached the latter stages of the cl.

Levy might delude himself about being on the same level of the big boys sitting at big table but it's just that, a delusion.

kps88

Him apparently wanting to leave before the first game of the season is such a bizarre requirement. Suggests he's not too fussed either way.

crossy1686

career ending
No matter how people try to slice it spurs are not a top club so the comparison is moot, for all intents and purposes Newcastle are their most direct rivals in securing top 4 not us while in the comparison you provided Chelsea where direct rivals for the title and repeatedly reached the latter stages of the cl.

Levy might delude himself about being on the same level of the big boys sitting at big table but it's just that, a delusion.
What does that mean? They should happily sell their best players to the likes of United and be grateful for their place in the league?

I think they've finished in the top 4 more than us in the last 10 years so what does that make us?

As I said previously, what we think is totally irrelevant, Spurs, with their CL final appearance, new stadium, big name managers (previously), and the likes of Harry Kane, think they are a nailed on top 4 big team in the PL.

It's a very tough pill to swallow if your chairman turns around tomorrow and cedes all ambition by selling your best players to a rival club.

Crimson King

In Levy's mind they are, and delusional or not, it's all that matters when he's the one you need to convince to sell.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
What does that mean? They should happily sell their best players to the likes of United and be grateful for their place in the league?

I think they've finished in the top 4 more than us in the last 10 years so what does that make us?

As I said previously, what we think is totally irrelevant, Spurs, with their CL final appearance, new stadium, big name managers (previously), and the likes of Harry Kane, think they are a nailed on top 4 big team in the PL.

It's a very tough pill to swallow if your chairman turns around tomorrow and cedes all ambition by selling your best players to a rival club.
They keep regressing and I argue they'd be better off cashing in on Kane and spending it on more urgent areas of their team, keeping kane around while never building a proper team around him is a waste of everyone's time.

Also it's telling that in our most abhorrent period since Fergie came in we've still managed a few trophies and more top two finishes than spurs in their most *successful modern period , Chelsea are a top club, City are, Liverpool are and so are arsenal , spurs never met the criteria to be considered as such.

Again look at how They've regressed since poch left, they don't seem to be able to attract the big names anymore and I argue they'd be better off taking the money and investing in a long term project than whatever levy is doing now.
In Levy's mind they are, and delusional or not, it's all that matters when he's the one you need to convince to sell.
His hand will only grow weaker as we approach the deadline, especially if bayern are willing to move away.

His negotiating position will be reduced to zero if by jan they're in a particularly messy situation in the league.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I’ve never known a top player lack ambition as much as Kane.

he should’ve moved a few seasons ago if he was a serious player.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout

For what it’s worth I do appreciate your efforts to explain your position.

There’s a difference here though in terms of the hierarchy within the PL. Chelsea haven’t at any point been a clearly bigger club than United and at no point would Ronaldo have wanted to leave the best club in England for another good one. He wanted to go to Madrid to win big things in a new league. We only ever sell against our will really to Real Madrid. Ultimately is the fee is enough for one club then it’s another for another and with a player with one year left I don’t see how Spurs could turn it down.

We don't live in a world where the finances of football are above any player. Tottenham aren’t in a position to call themselves serious rivals to us and I think most Spurs fans I’ve spoken to understand the need to sell Kane rather than lose him on a free. It’s terrible business to let a high value asset leave for nothing (and there is very little stopping Kane leaving to a PL rival for free next summer which would make any posturing from Spurs about not losing to a rival even sillier).

In context unless Kane says he’s renewing selling him is the best option now.

Not if that player has no intention of continuing at your club and you’d lose them for nothing in a year.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
In fact @crossy1686 its far more like Ronaldo to Madrid in terms of we didn’t want him to leave the first time (like Kane to City) but when it became clear we’d lose him we sold for as big a fee as we could get and reinvested (poorly).

Spurs = Us
United = Madrid

Baxquux

They keep regressing and I argue they'd be better off cashing in on Kane and spending it on more urgent areas of their team, keeping kane around while never building a proper team around him is a waste of everyone's time.

Also it's telling that in our most abhorrent period since Fergie came in we've still managed a few trophies and more top two finishes than spurs in their most *successful modern period , Chelsea are a top club, City are, Liverpool are and so are arsenal , spurs never met the criteria to be considered as such.

Again look at how They've regressed since poch left, they don't seem to be able to attract the big names anymore and I argue they'd be better off taking the money and investing in a long term project than whatever levy is doing now.
Chelsea and City became 'big' clubs, as opposed to entertaining nearly-men/ virtual laughing stocks post 70s respectively, through being financially doped to the gills, or real-life FM cheatcoding. Spurs - funny as the whole 'Spursy' thing is tripping over themselves even at the threshold of success and falling backwards - just need a disgustingly rich Middle East owner who's able to work around FFP for a couple of years, and they'll suddenly be a 'legitimate' club who players seem mysteriously keen to sign for all of a sudden , particularly given the stadium and London location in their favour.

crossy1686

career ending

His hand will only grow weaker as we approach the deadline, especially if bayern are willing to move away.

His negotiating position will be reduced to zero if by jan they're in a particularly messy situation in the league.
Definitely, they need a rebuild and to start again like they did when they hired Poch, the problem is that it’s extremely hard for spurs fans to admit that and that new stadium (best stadium in all the world…) doesn’t scream mid table, Levy will have sanctioned that spend on the back of big champions league nights.

Cal?

CR7 fan

Not sure you can legit call Arsenal a bigger club than Spurs based on the 15 years or so.

lex talionis

On the other hand, if Harry Kane can lead England to a World Cup trophy it's pretty fair to say that he will have accomplished something great in his career (Spurs can forget about any major trophies over the next 3-4 seasons at the very least) apart from setting personal records that someone else will break.

But Harry will be 33 by then and definitely on the downslope personally, and it just seems highly unlikely that England will be strong enough to win a WC in 2026. And if England is managed by Southgate... :lol: