Harry Kane | "I will be staying at Tottenham this summer and will be 100% focused on helping the team achieve success."

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
You don’t believe Mase can become a world class striker?

As for Kane, I think he’s a brilliant striker, although like most players, not perfect. His performances at the Euros so far are not surprising to me, for instance. I see them as relatively typical Kane performances when he finds himself in big games or against difficult teams/opposition. That’s his average performance level vs United, with the exception of the odd game where we are going through a spell of being shite and are massive underdogs against Spurs. What often happens is that he’ll go and score 4 against Sheffield United the following week though.

Think you're assessing his performances too much on the games against United. His performances in big games are fairly solid, and his record against the top 6 is pretty good. If I remember correctly the two clubs which most of his goals have come against are Leicester and Arsenal.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Maybe, it’s way too early to say..He needs to improve a lot to get to that level. He is young but he’s way behind what the likes of Mbappe & Haaland were at the age. It’s basically unknown right now how high his ceiling is & when he will peak. We’ve seen strikers like Lewandowski & Kane show less at Greenwood’s age & end up world class. It’s too hard to say right now.

Bygone Sounds

He's a top class centerback. Had a bad knee injury and Stones was doing well enough as a partner to Laporte so was a no need to change situation. The year before Laporte was their key defender. He's a much better CB generally. For France, Deschamps had something against him and they have Varane who has been one of the best in the world for years now.
Might have gone under the radar but since a short while back, Laporte is playing for the Spanish team, not the French national team. Started all 3 games in Euros so far and scored a goal yesteday!

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Might have gone under the radar but since a short while back, Laporte is playing for the Spanish team, not the French national team. Started all 3 games in Euros so far and scored a goal yesteday!
I know. Was responding to a guy who asked why he didn't get the chance for France

Stacks

He’ll be done by 30 simply because he’s sluggish and will continue to become more so. He’ll obviously still be a footballer, and a human being, when he hits 30 - but his exceptional finishing will be displayed only when he is able to earn himself the right to do so, and THAT is the but that I suspect will happen less and less.

To me, Kane has always been easy to mark for top defenders. A defender with speed, strength and a brain. He seems to have few touches and chances against us for example. I’ve said for months (so not a product of him seemingly joining City) that I have concerns about him. By 30/31 - you will barely find him in the box at all I suspect, as he drops deeper and deeper to try and run away from defenders he can’t run away from.
I can see him declining massively

As for Kane, I think he’s a brilliant striker, although like most players, not perfect. His performances at the Euros so far are not surprising to me, for instance. I see them as relatively typical Kane performances when he finds himself in big games or against difficult teams/opposition. That’s his average performance level vs United, with the exception of the odd game where we are going through a spell of being shite and are massive underdogs against Spurs. What often happens is that he’ll go and score 4 against Sheffield United the following week though.

Kane for 50m is an absolute must buy, you can’t get better. Kane for 150m will still get a shit load of goals for City, at least at first, but not for too long I suspect. I see the Rooney in him personally. His finishing will always be great, but as time goes on, he’ll find it harder and harder to earn the right to finish. His half a yard will be closed down by sharp, athletic defenders, there’s no acceleration to get away, no real drop of the shoulder etc. In a game where his team is dominant and the opposition is pulled apart, he’ll get openings and score goals though.

I’d much rather Haaland than him, personally. Both can finish, but I feel Haaland has more tools to earn himself the right to finish, such as speed, aggression and strength. It’s an old cliché in English football that the older you get the deeper you drop. Centre halves drop deeper because they don’t want to engage with physical strikers, and centre forwards drop deeper to avoid physical centre halves. Kane has already started that, at 27, and I don’t see him having reversed that trend by 30.
Mason will need to nail down a position before I consider him a future world XI star. we still using him as a RWF
Think you're assessing his performances too much on the games against United. His performances in big games are fairly solid, and his record against the top 6 is pretty good. If I remember correctly the two clubs which most of his goals have come against are Leicester and Arsenal.
"big 6" record as of January
And here are the top 6 goalscorers:

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea

Mason will need to nail down a position before I consider him a future world XI star. we still using him as a RWF

I was including Leicester instead of Tottenham because of him being at Spurs. He loves playing the foxes.

Vardy’s record is incredible but unsurprising.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea

Surprised Aguero was not there but hazard. Hazard one hell of the game raiser if he wanted to.

Bygone Sounds

I know. Was responding to a guy who asked why he didn't get the chance for France
Ah, got it. Just thought it was worth mentioning since several posts have been mentioning the fact the Laporte haven't yet played for France in Euro. Just picked your post as one of them to reply to.

Drygon

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Unpopular opinion: I think Harry Kane is a bit overrated among people who views him as a top 3 striker in the world. I've noticed how some even argues Kane is the world's best striker ahead of Lewandowski, which is obviously a ridiculous claim. At this point, Kane is just living off his past reputation. There's many strikers who are better finishers than Kane while playing fewer minutes.

2020-21 league season

- Robert Lewandowski: 41 goals (32.08 expected goals) while playing 2467 minutes
- André Silva: 28 goals (25.60 xG) while playing 2787 minutes
- Erling Haaland: 27 goals (23.60 xG) while playing 2416 minutes
- Cristiano Ronaldo: 29 goals (29.84 xG) while playing 2807 minutes
-
Romelu Lukaku: 24 goals (23.43 xG) while playing 2885 minutes
- Gerard Moreno: 23 goals (19.53 xG) while playing 2680 minutes
- Karim Benzema: 23 goals (19.45 xG) while playing 2914 minutes
- Harry Kane: 23 goals (22.17 xG) while playing 3097 minutes

And before anyone brings up Kane's 14 assists, he was playing with a phenomenal finisher in Son Heung-Min. He made 17 despite an xG of 11.02.

I'm sure Kane wouldn't get anywhere near same amount of assists if he played with a terrible finisher up-front. Like Vinicius Jr, Werner etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sultan

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Unpopular opinion: I think Harry Kane is a bit overrated among people who views him as a top 3 striker in the world. I've noticed how some even argues Kane is the world's best striker ahead of Lewandowski, which is obviously a ridiculous claim. At this point, Kane is just living off his past reputation. There's many strikers who are better finishers than Kane while playing fewer minutes.

2020-21 league season

- Robert Lewandowski: 41 goals (32.08 expected goals) while playing 2467 minutes
-

And before anyone brings up Kane's 14 assists, he was playing with a phenomenal finisher in Son Heung-Min. He made 17 despite an xG of 11.02.

I'm sure Kane wouldn't get anywhere near same amount of assists if he played with a terrible finisher up-front. Like Vinicius Jr, Werner etc.
I think Kane looks a carthorse as often as he looks "world class", but your stats are woefully ignoring the fact he's playing for a duff team in Tottenham, whereas all of the others you list play for one of, if not the best team in their league.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He will score goals but he looks very sluggish compared to three years ago.
Spending £120m on him is a risk only an oil club can take.

Drygon

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I think Kane looks a carthorse as often as he looks "world class", but your stats are woefully ignoring the fact he's playing for a duff team in Tottenham, whereas all of the others you list play for one of, if not the best team in their league.
Eh, teammates has nothing to do with someone's level of finishing.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Eh, teammates has nothing to do with someone's level of finishing.
The guy has quoted the goals those players scored. How many more chances would he get and thus score in better teams?

bsCallout

2020-21 league season

-

I hate Kane but he had the best minutes per goal ratio in the premier league only behind Bale(barely played) and Ihaenacho. I'm not sure how you can claim that doesn't put him in with the best in the world.

arthurka

Kane can't go he wouldn't want to disappoint Nuno Holy Spirit. Not looking good for him, City will need to cough up a huge sums to price him away.

2020-21 league season

-

It's unfair to compare Kane with Vinicius or Werner. They're both players with good athleticism but poor finishing. Kane basically has poor athleticism but good finishing.

Kane's basically got incredible shooting technique, great passing and movement, and really good understanding with the spurs attackers. He's not fast but is used to finding space at the edge of the box/just inside the box because of how quick Spurs are on the break.

I'm not sure he deals with pressure that well - for a striker with such a big reputation, he doesn't score that many vital goals in big games against big teams. He's also got a system built around him at Spurs. He's a slow starter, he has at least one injury per season, and he needs to play in certain positions with certain types of players around him.

All of that is to say that he's still clearly a great player, but I don't think he's as certain a success at City/his next club as lots of people assume. I'd easily prefer Haaland.

punk19

If he goes to city he will be an absolute beast IMO and score bags of goals every season because they are utterly dominant in most/ all games. Compared to Tottenham it will be like playing training gamed for him... however, this is also the same story for every striker in the world that can finish. They would all do very well for city. Kane has many failings and I’m afraid these are all too clear when England play especially at these euros where he just doesn’t look like scoring OR doing anything to help the team. When he’s not on the ball it’s not like he’s good at getting it back, marking, or creative play (not really). In summary he’s not worth the money Tottenham will demand for the move.. IMO I have no idea why you would get Kane over haaland but there you go. The age thing along is enough.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Get the feeling Kane will stay at Spurs for 12 more months and just live off the glory if England win the euros, less desperate to move if he's actually got a major trophy even if it's not at club level.

Two years left on his deal and then surely some sort of deal would be agreed.

Imagine him winning more with England than at club level, only Spurs. :lol:

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Get the feeling Kane will stay at Spurs for 12 more months and just live off the glory if England win the euros, less desperate to move if he's actually got a major trophy even if it's not at club level.

Two years left on his deal and then surely some sort of deal would be agreed.

Imagine him winning more with England than at club level, only Spurs. :lol:
Worked for Gordon Banks and George Cohen

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I was slagging him off earlier in the tournament. Fair play, can admit that it does look like it was mostly a confidence issue.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Or Ukraine is just not that good.
Bit of both. You gotta be in the positions to score or miss. Earlier in the competition Kane looked sluggish, wasn't arriving in the box at the right moments, was taking snap shots. Looks more likely to take a chance now than a few weeks ago.

Sylar

That goal vs Germany was huge. It seemed to transform him and its perfect timing for England.

Luke1995

I wouldn't be so sure Kane would be a hit at City.

In the past, we have seen some strikers signed by english clubs for a huge amount of money and it didn't turn out so well. Sometimes the price tag can increase the pressure.

Obviously each player has their own way of dealing with things mentally. But in general, a couple of failed big money signings come to mind.

SER19

Wouldn't get too excited by anything seen tonight. Arguably the worst defence in tournament and collapsed completely for second half. As close to a training match as is possible in an international tournament.

Will probably score against Denmark too, but if Italy make the final he might benefit from the confidence building ties leading to it

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

Sounds like he's staying

SATA

I think he’s still in the excitement and adrenaline of being in the tournament with England. Once that’s over, he goes back to Spurs and will realise again how bleak it is over there at the club. Don’t think he fancies so much playing under Nuno

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
He doesn't exactly have his pick of clubs that can afford him, its either City or Chelsea.

I wouldn't be so sure Kane would be a hit at City.

In the past, we have seen some strikers signed by english clubs for a huge amount of money and it didn't turn out so well. Sometimes the price tag can increase the pressure.
I have doubts too. He's obviously a very good striker and would score buckets of goals for City, against teams they already score buckets of goals against. He's a great finisher but he's not somebody that's going to work to create openings, he needs to ball delivered to him in a place where he can fashion a shot. That doesn't happen often against top defenders. I don't see him being the player who makes the difference in the biggest games for them aka he's not going to win them the Champions League.

This below is a great summary of him as a player imo. His solid top 6 record is bumped up by Arsenal and Leicester, teams hardly known for their stellar defences. It's a long time ago and no detailed stats exist for it, but i felt much the same about Shearer. I think our history would be a lot different had we signed him instead of Cantona.

To me, Kane has always been easy to mark for top defenders. A defender with speed, strength and a brain. He seems to have few touches and chances against us for example. I’ve said for months (so not a product of him seemingly joining City) that I have concerns about him. By 30/31 - you will barely find him in the box at all I suspect, as he drops deeper and deeper to try and run away from defenders he can’t run away from.

FatTails

The more likely scenario is he loses to the much more superior team in Italy, which will give him flashbacks of that League Cup final vs City, and he’s going to want to leave even more.

Or better still, England lose to Denmark which will have a Dinamo Zagreb in the EL feel to it, and will add salt to the Spurs wounds he’s endured over the years.