Harry Kane | "I will be staying at Tottenham this summer and will be 100% focused on helping the team achieve success."

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Did you read the latter part of that & not understand it or did you just choose to ignore it?

Ok, it may have been 1 year and not “many years” - but he was a part of their academy.
He didn't spend many years at Arsenal full stop, he spent less than a year, he spent most of his youth at Ridgeway Rovers.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Why are buyout clauses illegal? I don't really see why they should be. At the end of the day everyone can agree on them, I don't see what would be wrong with one.

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
If City get both Kane and Grealish (they will certainly get at least one of them) they will be an absolute juggernaut this season.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
what's the endgame here? He has zero leverage with a contract that runs until 2024. All this will do is worsen his reputation.
He's 'Arry Kane, England captain. His reputation is untouchable for the English press.

He could kick a dog and the papers would be full of stories about the dog's background and how poorly behaved it was as a pup.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
There is nothing he can do and there's certainly nothing he can do but play football once the window has closed.

Sancho didn't play bad on purpose, and different situation since (at least that's what I remember) he said he was always gonna be respectful of Dortmund's decision. Just a bad spell for a young player imo.

Kane knew he was signing a SIX YEAR EXTENSION at fecking Tottenham. What did he expect to win there exactly, a League Cup here and there? It was a braindead decision on his part if he wasn't dead set on being a one-club man. He also knew very well how difficult his chairman can be during transfer discussions, so it's not like something changed on that part either in the meantime. He made a mistake and is paying for it now, but staying away from pre-season training is just childish behaviour. Make your stance know and be a professional about it, it's not in your hands. Not sure what he's trying to achieve with this, Levy knows he won't hold out once the season starts / window closes, and he's not exactly gaining goodwill from Levy either with this decision.
Tbf he did reach a CL final with Spurs just after signing that contract, with a 2nd place finish and a couple of 3rd place finishes in the preceding years. I don't think it was unreasonable for him to think Spurs were in an upswing at the time and might win a major trophy at some point. They've certainly noticeably declined from where they were back then.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Why are buyout clauses illegal? I don't really see why they should be. At the end of the day everyone can agree on them, I don't see what would be wrong with one.
I think there is precedence for the player to buy out their contract it, its not illegal, its just no top player has the balls to do it.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
If City get both Kane and Grealish I think I'll just laugh.
While they laugh themselves to another PL title.

dinostar77

how much bonus does he loose for handing in an official transfer request?... he probably should do but for whatever reason he feels that his agreement with levy means he shouldnt

that said hard to have sympathy for anybody who trusts levy
He stands to lose £18mil. Which city will probe rembuse him over the duration of his contract.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Not sure they are illegal exactly, but we don't have the same policies that are in place somewhere such as Spain. In Spain (virtually) all players have a buyout clause inserted into their contract, meaning they can unilaterally buy themselves out of their contract at any moment by paying the specified amount of money to the league, who will then transfer it onto their club.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Harry Kane is not an Arsenal fan - it's ridiculous that people still say this.
Is he Spurs fans then? Why would Spurs fans be disrespectful to the club? Even if he wants to leave, this is a disrespectful thing to do in my opinion. I'm trying to think a player who dares to disrespect the club they love, never seen one.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Tbf he did reach a CL final with Spurs just after signing that contract, with a 2nd place finish and a couple of 3rd place finishes in the preceding years. I don't think it was unreasonable for him to think Spurs were in an upswing at the time and might win a major trophy at some point. They've certainly noticeably declined from where they were back then.
Then sign a 3-year contract and see how things stand after that though. The length of the contract is inexcusable, he probably thought he was laughing all the way to the bank, then don't come crying a few years later when you don't like the current situation anymore. Or at least, cry all you want but don't expect your bosses not to be impressed by it.

Walters_19_MuFc

No professionalism at all. I get that he wants to leave but he's under contract and needs to abide by that. Cheeky cnut - and im not even a Spurs fan!

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
The idea 100m is a fair price for Kane is bollocks. He’s the best player in the league, 3 years on his deal and has only just turned 28. Ben White just cost 50m, Rice is valued at 80m…if City want him they can pay up.
Agreed. Don't see why Spurs should sell him for less than they think he's worth just because he wants out.

Ultimately, he's the mug for signing that giant contract in the first place.

dinostar77

I can imagine Kane is frustrated but not turning up to training and throwing your toys out of the pram is a shit thing to do. Unacceptable.

He may well have had a gentleman’s agreement but there’s nothing binding about that.

The truth is when he signed a 6 year contract, it worked well for him to secure his future and livelihood. In return he has to respect the fact the contract is there to be honoured. If he wanted to be able to leave sooner, he shouldn’t have committed to such a long contract. You can’t remove all the risk from yourself and then expect the club to do what you want when you want.

I just think players missing training is becoming a bit too common and is dangerous territory. It can lead to chaos going forward. Imagine if Bruno or Sancho did the same because another big club has flirted with them, we’d be fuming.

Spurs are within their right to accept or decline any offer that comes to them. The player has all the power he wants if his contract is coming to an end. That’s how contracts should work.

Yes levy can come across as a bit of a tool. But he’s in that position to do the best for Spurs. The best guys are not always the most likeable. But that’s how business is in general.
He's been a loyal player for Spurs. City offered £100mil for him which spurs refused. Which is nuts in a covid environment. We all know how difficult levy can be. If Kane doesnt want to work for spurs anymore then he shouldnt have to. Levy just needs to be reasonable, which is an oxymoron as levy never is.

Kane has to call his bluff, and stuff like not turning up to training is a last resort to show levy he wants out.

The parellels to batistuta leaving fiorentina to join Roma (under capello) to win the scudetto are there.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
£120m perhaps. He's 28 so could well have no resale value beyond this contract.
They are paying £100m for Jack Grealish, you think a 25-30 goal a season player (for CIty) is worth just £20M for than Grealish :lol:. Id say £150m cash and he can go, I have no idea why United fans are in support of City getting Kane on the cheap.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
There is only one club in the world who would/could pay it and that happens to be the one club trying to buy him. If you were Levy would you not be trying to get as much cash as possible for him? Im honestly surprised at how many in here seem totally fine with City being able to just buy whoever they want but not only that, seem to want the selling clubs to lower their valuations of players to make it easier for them? Very odd.
No one here wants City to buy Kane. Placing a 180m price tag on Kane fails to look at context. He's 28 fairly injury prone and probably has no resale value. City are never going to pay it, doesn't matter if they can afford it or not. If you're going to be fair to a player as you have promised, you put a high but reasonable price tag. 180m is not reasonable.

Lemansky

Except he is worth far more than 100m in this market. He’s one of only three world class strikers around, is English and has 3 years left on his contract. And Spurs don’t want to sell him.
It’s fair that Spurs ask the price they want. 180 million is the price they want, but it’s not a realistic price at all in this market. Valuing him at that price is the same as saying he ain’t for sale as no club will pay it. His market price is closer to 120 million max in this market. Tottenham and Kane’s problem is that no clubs can afford the price they want. So if Spurs agree to sell it will be for a lot less than 180 million.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Potential City attacking options:

ST - Kane, Jesus

False 9 - KDB, Torres, Sterling

AM - KDB, Foden, Grealish, Mahrez, Gundogan, Torres

Absolute ridiculous! That's not including Bernando Silva either who I think it's safe to presume will be leaving as being reported if City get their main targets.

Playing for runners up spot?

Hulksmash

I would also go on Strike. Like he wants to write something in his Career and he has been Loyal for them since Years

OleBoiii

I agree that Kane is worth more than 100 million in the current market, but 180 million for a 28 year old is insane.

I do wonder if it's worth holding onto players in these cases. Yes, you show that you're not to be bullied, but at what cost? The damage to the dressing room and the potential burning of bridges(no superstar will ever fall for Levy's "trap" again) is also costly. And you're only delaying the inevitable. Why not start on the rebuild ASAP?

8thWonder

If Levy keeps treating players like that he’ll not have too many top players queuing up to sign for him.
Not bullshit and you know it can’t be holding onto unhappy players does nothing for anyone.

Signed 3 years but doesn’t want to be there anymore got to let him leave.
Surely you can see that we did the same with Ronaldo when he wanted to go after winning the Chamions league with us? Doing the same with Pogba now (maybe not unhappy but you know what I mean).

More and more players are running down their contracts because clubs don't want to sell for a cheap price.

Players in their last year (via transfermarkt);
Mbappe
Goretzka
Pedri
Pogba
Kessie
Camavinga
Dybala
Dembele
Ronaldo
Belotti
Stones

Not all, but definitely a good few on there who are very keen to leave but clubs have invested a huge amount of money in don't want to see them just leave. It's give and take. Players and clubs both should know where each other lay.

Look at Sancho last season as another example. On a human level, it does seem strange that you can dictate who and where you go in the space of a contract but players know that to be the case.

It's not a Levy and Spurs thing here, its a widespread trend that's been happening for years. Contracts are signed and from there battle lines are drawn. As a player, I would have thought it madness to sign long contracts to be honest, I don't blame either the club or the player from this point. Interesting to see how it plays out.

devilo

Except he is worth far more than 100m in this market. He’s one of only three world class strikers around, is English and has 3 years left on his contract. And Spurs don’t want to sell him.
You seem to have ignored his age (which effectively means no resale value) and his increasing propensity to get injured. Both of which should be factored into the fee. That being said, I would love nothing more than Levy playing hardball and stinging City for £180m, just so we can all laugh at the nonsense that is FFP.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Potential City attacking options:

ST - Kane, Jesus

False 9 - KDB, Torres, Sterling

AM - KDB, Foden, Grealish, Mahrez, Gundogan, Torres

Absolute ridiculous! That's not including Bernando Silva either who I think it's safe to presume will be leaving as being reported if City get their main targets.

Playing for runners up spot?
Competitive league. :lol:

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Did you read the latter part of that & not understand it or did you just choose to ignore it?

Ok, it may have been 1 year and not “many years” - but he was a part of their academy.
He didn't spend many years at Arsenal full stop, he spent less than a year, he spent most of his youth at Ridgeway Rovers.
Again.

Did you choose to ignore what I wrote, where I clearly corrected myself or did you simply not understand it?

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
It’s fair that Spurs ask the price they want. 180 million is the price they want, but it’s not a realistic price at all in this market. Valuing him at that price is the same as saying he ain’t for sale as no club will pay it. His market price is closer to 120 million max in this market. Tottenham and Kane’s problem is that no clubs can afford the price they want. So if Spurs agree to sell it will be for a lot less than 180 million.
Grealish is 100m and 2 years younger. You either ridiculously overrate Grealish or seriously underestimate how in short supply a player like Kane with his scoring and assist numbers is in world football. He’s worth 150m easily and everyone would have said that would be the fee back in May if you were told Kane was being sold this summer before him and City colluded into getting 100m out there. They’re trying to bully Spurs into accepting a fee way below his value and they can go feck themselves. That would be my response if I was Levy anyway.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I would also go on Strike. Like he wants to write something in his Career and he has been Loyal for them since Years
What's the point of contracts at all if the player decides to go on strike when he feels like breaking it?

That just makes contracts utterly worthless.