Harry Kane | "I will be staying at Tottenham this summer and will be 100% focused on helping the team achieve success."

adkb

Most people saying that he shouldn't have signed the contract without a clause need to reconsider. Plenty of players have signed contract in such a way and left. The thing is Spurs are horribly run and their new players need to be funded by sale of high profile players. The system works till a point but then every now and then this is bound to happen. It is ridiculous to ask for 150m. Of course, it is city who are buying so I can understand the sentiment to rob them blind. But either way Kane deserves a chance to secure a move and I am hoping that is happening behind the scenes. If he is having the need to ditch training then surely its all going against him. Either way you do not disrespect the club and ditch practice. It should never come down to this.

choccy77

Best scenario - Spurs sell him to city for loads, buy rubbish players (as they have done previously and wasted the money) Kane is injured for parts of season, especially against us.

United push City for title.

Withnail

Most people saying that he shouldn't have signed the contract without a clause need to reconsider. Plenty of players have signed contract in such a way and left. The thing is Spurs are horribly run and their new players need to be funded by sale of high profile players. The system works till a point but then every now and then this is bound to happen. It is ridiculous to ask for 150m. Of course, it is city who are buying so I can understand the sentiment to rob them blind. But either way Kane deserves a chance to secure a move and I am hoping that is happening behind the scenes. If he is having the need to ditch training then surely its all going against him. Either way you do not disrespect the club and ditch practice. It should never come down to this.
The problem was signing a 6 year deal just as he was coming into his peak years. He essentially committed himself to Spurs for his entire career and everyone knows what Levy is like. It seemed short-sighted at the time and so has it proven to be.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
One side of the argument will be - He has signed long term contract and he should respect that.

Other side would be - he had gentlemen agreement with Levy.

I don't know why players, especially the top ones don't insist for release clause.
This is the best solution by far. It ensures the club get a respectable fee should the player decide he wants out, and the player has the option to leave if the pursuing club is prepared to pay his agreed-upon release clause. Win win.

Beginning to think release clauses should become mandatory in all future contracts.

adkb

The problem was signing a 6 year deal just as he was coming into his peak years. He essentially committed himself to Spurs for his entire career and everyone knows what Levy is like. It seemed short-sighted at the time and so has it proven to be.
Yes. I absolutely agree on that point. Signing a contract was indeed not the right thing to do, but thats in hindsight. What I am saying is he deserves a fair negotiation and not a random pumped up figure!!

roseguy64

Like I said elsewhere, City’s PR people ( that’s all City is about, PR for Abu Dhabi) will be working on timing the announcement of Kane and Grealish to steal the limelight from United. Just like when they would announce player X has signed a new deal before the derby or player b is injured an a doubt for a big match but he plays. If they do sign Kane and Grealish, the published figure will be a fraction of the real one.
You people are weird.

roseguy64

I just wish United got rid of the trash and made room to sign Kane. If we can raise 100 million from selling all the excess in the squad, we should be able to go for him and can afford the signing fee and his wages.
I really hate how football fans describe players they no longer want at their clubs who are no longer good enough. Has never sat right with me.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
If City get away with this PL investigation into fraud and are basically given free reign to do as they please with the UAE purse....then Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal need to come out of the shared TV deal and sell our own TV rights. We'd ruin City overnight. Sheikhs and Oligarchs can't be allowed to continue to do what they have done. How many titles have gone to the Russian gangster and Sheikh over the last 10-12 years? The vast majority of them.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
SSN saying Spurs have confirmed they're going to fine Kane for not turning up

Puts to bed any suggestion that he wasn't even due in

hobbers

This is going to be an amusing game of chicken, and I hope for the sake of the league that Levy wins it.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
If City get away with this PL investigation into fraud and are basically given free reign to do as they please with the UAE purse....then Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal need to come out of the shared TV deal and sell our own TV rights. We'd ruin City overnight. Sheikhs and Oligarchs can't be allowed to continue to do what they have done. How many titles have gone to the Russian gangster and Sheikh over the last 10-12 years? The vast majority of them.
14 clubs need to vote for this for it to be a thing.

dinostar77

Spurs have said they will fine Kane for missing training. Obviously depends on how many days he misses.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
This is the best solution by far. It ensures the club get a respectable fee should the player decide he wants out, and the player has the option to leave if the pursuing club is prepared to pay his agreed-upon release clause. Win win.

Beginning to think release clauses should become mandatory in all future contracts.
Then it would just go like Spain with fees being utterly ludicrous.
Kane's would be 200m.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
I think Kane has been advised shockingly. This could just further make Levy unwilling to sell.

His price has almost certainly gone up, if he were to leave

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Better get the popcorn out eh... :lol:

From Kane's perspective got nothing to lose, he obviously decided to finally go win something...

Feels he has a verbal agreement to go.

He'll get his move now or rot in the reserves till he does for a lot less money.

Motivation to play again for Spurs will be totally gone either way after this.

Levy going back on his word and fining him worst move possible.

Dante

Average bang
Imagine if Pogba was the Tottenham chairman and did what Levy did. The media would have a field day.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I think Kane has been advised shockingly. This could just further make Levy unwilling to sell.

His price has almost certainly gone up, if he were to leave
In principle, in reality it will help force his move.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I like Harry Kane and would love him to join United but I despise this missing training garbage. Put me right off him as a player.
Unsure what the context is though - if Levy has made an agreement behind the scenes and is going back on his word, Kane seems to have little choice.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Then it would just go like Spain with fees being utterly ludicrous.
Kane's would be 200m.
Perhaps, but I guess it would be up to the player and his agent to agree a suitable release clause with the club.

I feel clubs need more protection where their assets are concerned. When a player can threaten strike action to force a move away, while under contract no less, it makes a mockery of the whole contract system within the game.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

Unsure what the context is though - if Levy has made an agreement behind the scenes and is going back on his word, Kane seems to have little choice.
Signed a deal with no release clause. Gentleman's agreement is probably if City bid this we will sell you. What if City are nowhere near the agreed fee? I hate the likes of Levy, but hes in the right unless there's some written clause I'm unaware of

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Signed a deal with no release clause. Gentleman's agreement is probably if City bid this we will sell you. What if City are nowhere near the agreed fee? I hate the likes of Levy, but hes in the right unless there's some written clause I'm unaware of
I'm insinuating here that Levy would have agreed that a club with a reasonable bid will have his blessing (so long as it's not Chelsea or something).

Now 100m is arguably reasonable so if Kane is causing a ruckus then fair enough. He's 28 and in this scenario would have been led to believe a move is on the cards. Whats more, the club he's employed at is in a far worse state than 3 years from no fault of his own.

I'd hate it if it was at United because we're a huge club. But this is Tottenham holding on to a player who may well be the highest goalscorer in league history.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

I'm insinuating here that Levy would have agreed that a club with a reasonable bid will have his blessing (so long as it's not Chelsea or something).

Now 100m is arguably reasonable so if Kane is causing a ruckus then fair enough. He's 28 and in this scenario would have been led to believe a move is on the cards. Whats more, the club he's employed at is in a far worse state than 3 years from no fault of his own.

I'd hate it if it was at United because we're a huge club. But this is Tottenham holding on to a player who may well be the highest goalscorer in league history.
I absolutely agree that 100m is more than reasonable, but hes impossible to replace like for like and 100 may not be enough to replace his productivity from 2 players so I understand why it may not seem reasonable enough an offer for Spurs.

Either way this one will get ugly

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Why is everyone just accepting this “gentleman’s agreement” bullshit? What you’re all describing is a release clause, he signed a new contract and if it doesn’t have such a clause he’s got no right to be acting up.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
How did he not get a release clause put in his contract? I'm baffled.
Because we don't really do them in the top flight in England. And when we do...ie Suarez, then the owning club still refuse it.

There's no way Levy would have allowed any release clause to be within a million miles of what a club would pay either.
So it's a total non starter, and only works for lower tier players.

Focusmate

Supports
Non League
Kane must feel very strongly about this gentlemens agreement - i always had him down as s model pro.
In any case it puts me right off him. Better to go in and make it clear his hearts no longer in it to push a move through - or hand in a transfer request - than not show up at all.

Longshanks

Do you think we could offer martial, lingard pereira and Jones in a swap deal?