Harry Kane MBE | Performances

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs
It'll be another 10-15 years before Spurs can offer a salary of £12m+ (by which time other clubs will be offering even more). Even Arsenal who have been at the Emirates for a decade and are years ahead of Spurs in terms of sponsorship deals are struggling to offer Ozil/Sanchez the £10-12m a week salaries they are looking for.

In terms of titles I meant over the next 10 years. You'd expect the clubs with a £220-250m salary bill to be winning the vast majority (of not all) of the next 10 titles, although the last 18 months has undoubtedly been bizarre in terms of top teams under-performing and smaller teams capitalising. My view is that period is coming to an end though.
You talk as if all players at these clubs are in that money, they aren't, and many are overpaid to their standard.

I really think Spurs will be fine, we have other big draws.

Eire Red United

At the time Bale was sold to RM there was pretty good ITK coming out of Spurs and we all knew despite the lateness that Bale was going to RM. Utd as confirmed by Moyes recently were interested and desperately wanted him but contrary to some media reports I don't believe a bid was ever made as they got a flat we aren't selling to you from Levy. There was even talk that they were prepared to go to £120m, which I do find hard to believe, but I'm certain they would have gone to £100m but Levy gave them zero encouragement.

I don't think he would even sell to Liverpool as we will soon be getting pretty much on a par with Liverpool financially, But he is pragmatic enough to know that whilst he is there we can never compete with City financially. So I would confidently say that City are the only English club that Levy would speak to, in circumstances where we wanted to keep the player.
Well what is the difference in United and City? Is it just because of Levy having sour grapes over Berbatov?

Man-United

When Lloris leave then Kane should be the new Spurs captain. He's such a good player, never expected it when he was at Norwich.

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs
Well what is the difference in United and City? Is it just because of Levy having sour grapes over Berbatov?
Sour grapes is one version, the behaviour of the player and the club is the other version, but yep that's what it boils down to.

finneh

You talk as if all players at these clubs are in that money, they aren't, and many are overpaid to their standard.

I really think Spurs will be fine, we have other big draws.
Kane wouldn't be any other player though, he'd be a top earner. Can you name one of the top players in world football that is on a salary that Spurs could afford?

There are only two draws for players: guaranteed trophies and salary. Spurs can't offer either for the next decade.

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs
Kane wouldn't be any other player though, he'd be a top earner. Can you name one of the top players in world football that is on a salary that Spurs could afford?

There are only two draws for players: guaranteed trophies and salary. Spurs can't offer either for the next decade.
There are more than two draws, London is a draw Manchester isn't, especially if you are born, bred and grown up in and around London.

Nope Spurs can't offer the top players in the world the required salaries. However we are paying enough to the likes of Kane, Alderweireld, Lloris and Alli who are amongst the best players in the league.

Who in the PL has guaranteed trophies?

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
It's 62 in 99 Apps on Wikipedia, where does the 59 in 100 come from? Just chatting to a mate and he felt the need to correct me.

Edit: Nevermind, he made 3 PL appearances for Norwich without scoring during a loan spell.

Eire Red United

There are more than two draws, London is a draw Manchester isn't, especially if you are born, bred and grown up in and around London.

Nope Spurs can't offer the top players in the world the required salaries. However we are paying enough to the likes of Kane, Alderweireld, Lloris and Alli who are amongst the best players in the league.

Arsenal.

(Fourth then losing to Bayern/ Barca in the round of 16 is a trophy, right??);)

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs
It's 62 in 99 Apps on Wikipedia, where does the 59 in 100 come from? Just chatting to a mate and he felt the need to correct me.

Edit: Nevermind, he made 3 PL appearances for Norwich without scoring during a loan spell.
He had 3 PL games, all cameos Ibthink at Norwich.

It's 62 in a 102 overall and 62 in 99 for Spurs.

Edit: Just seen your edit.

finneh

You'd have to give me an example of a top class player choosing a lower salary in London over a higher salary in Manchester as I suspect that's never happened. Considering the vast majority of great players bought into the Premier League (or who had the choice to play in any city in the world) over the last 20 years have gone to Manchester I'd disagree (Pogba, Aguero, Toure, Silva, Ibrahimovich, De Bruyne, Veron, Van Persie, Rooney, Ferdinand etc).

In terms of the bolded four I can't recall any of them being offered a substantial salary increase by another club. It's easy to accept a Spurs salary when no other offer is on the table.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He's very good but there are guys like Icardi you'd get for considerably less and guys like dybala who are better and would cost less as well. I'd rather not pay over the top to get someone from Spurs unless the guy is a truly elite player like modric, bale etc.
Disagree. Don't think those guys are better. Although, I think Dybala will eventually be the best of the three.

Varun

Staff
Disagree. Don't think those guys are better. Although, I think Dybala will eventually be the best of the three.
Not Icardi which is why separated the examples into 2. Dybala is better already and has a much higher ceiling as well.

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs
You'd have to give me an example of a top class player choosing a lower salary in London over a higher salary in Manchester as I suspect that's never happened. Considering the vast majority of great players bought into the Premier League (or who had the choice to play in any city in the world) over the last 20 years have gone to Manchester I'd disagree (Pogba, Aguero, Toure, Silva, Ibrahimovich, De Bruyne, Veron, Van Persie, Rooney, Ferdinand etc).

In terms of the bolded four I can't recall any of them being offered a substantial salary increase by another club. It's easy to accept a Spurs salary when no other offer is on the table.
You seem to not know what we don't know which seems perfectly logical.

One thing I can assure you of is that not many people born in and around London (like Kane was) aspire to live in and around Manchester. In that respect cities are a bit like football clubs, some are aspirational and attract the cleverest, most talented and wealthiest people from all walks of life and from all over the world, and others don't, meaning Kane is probably very happy in London.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Whilst I agree it would be a lot more difficult for a Premier League club to get Kane, certainly than in years gone by, I think you're a bit naive in the sense that there will only be five clubs in the world that would sanction the kind of bid required and three are English. Spurs could well be in a situation where given the costs involved only PL clubs are interested (plus how many English players choose to move abroad).

Therefore you may have a situation where Kane wants to be winning titles and earning a market rate salary of £13-15m a year and Spurs want £120m, but the only clubs offering that are City/United/Chelsea. Now of course he has a contract until 2022 so nothing is happening for at least 2.5 years (probably 2020), but to be so categoric is naive. Of course Levy would prefer to sell to Madrid for £10m less, but if it's United for £120m or Juventus for £60m it's a no brainer.

Also you say the last time you sold to a rival was a decade ago, which is true. However the only two players any rival would want during that period would be Modric/Bale, two players whereby you were in the fortunate position of having a simple choice between Madrid or a PL club. Naturally that choice is simple for any team.

Also it's worth mentioning that Spurs have not been able to keep a player as talented as Kane for decades (your salary restrictions and lack of silverware make it impossible); so it's almost certainly a question of when and where, rather than if.

If you think Spurs are in the financial position to write of a £120m asset and pay someone £5-6m a year for several years to sit in the stands I think you need a reality check. Not that I think it'll happen of course.
So in the past few offseasons no one has wanted Kane, Lloris, Alderweireld, Alli, etc.?

How about this offseason? Everyone is going to pass up on a young english player who scores 20+ every year? When CBs are in such high demand none of them would bid massive amounts for Alderweireld or Vertonghen? They'd rather pay the 50+ for a Stones or Otamendi? Really?

Yourselves, City, Chelsea, etc. would jump at the chance to sign Kane and given money is no object to those clubs then the answer seems to be clear.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

So why has neither Manchester club bought any of our roster players?

Are you seriously suggesting neither club could massively use any of them?

Skills

Snitch
He's very good but there are guys like Icardi you'd get for considerably less and guys like dybala who are better and would cost less as well. I'd rather not pay over the top to get someone from Spurs unless the guy is a truly elite player like modric, bale etc.
This.

Going from having strikers like Zlatan, Van Persie, Rooney, Van Nistelrooy to Harry Kane (for a world record fee) would be massively underwhelming. Good player, will never really be a true superstar. There will always be 4-5 much better strikers out there throughout his career.

I'd prefer we get one of them. If it was any other position, I wouldn't be so snobbish, but a striker for Manchester United is a pretty big deal.

IrishRedDevil

He'd make a decent replacement for Ibrahimović in 2 years.

Contracts mean very little. Player power - see very recent examples of Costa and Payet. If United flexed their financial muscles, Kane may/may-not get his head turned by the biggest club in England. Time will tell.

One thing I do know is Kane will be keen to win trophies so both Spurs and Pochettino will need to step up to satisfy him, as their past records speak for themselves.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
He'd make a decent replacement for Ibrahimović in 2 years.

Contracts mean very little. Player power - see very recent examples of Costa and Payet. If United flexed their financial muscles, Kane may/may-not get his head turned by the biggest club in England. Time will tell.

One thing I do know is Kane will be keen to win trophies so both Spurs and Pochettino will need to step up to satisfy him.
So since no one has explained this to me, why have no clubs with huge financials wanted to buy Kane? English 23 year old perennial 20+ goal scoring golden boot winning forwards are of no interest to anyone?

Traub

So since no one has explained this to me, why have no clubs with huge financials wanted to buy Kane? English 23 year old perennial 20+ goal scoring golden boot winning forwards are of no interest to anyone?
Which team actually needs him?

Bar Liverpool (who probably couldn't afford him anyway), every other top premier league team has a top striker who is at least around the same level of Kane. Barca and Madrid don't need him which basically leaves PSG... Let's give it a couple of years when the likes of Zlatan etc. need replacing.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Which team actually needs him?

Bar Liverpool (who probably couldn't afford him anyway), every other top premier league team has a top striker who is at least around the same level of Kane. Barca and Madrid don't need him which basically leaves PSG... Let's give it a couple of years when the likes of Zlatan etc. need replacing.
So what about Alli, Alderweireld, the fullbacks? No one like...say Man City could use them eh?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
He's just been of no interest to the only teams which could realistically afford him.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
He's just been of no interest to the only teams which could realistically afford him.
But if he was of any interest he'd go right?

So no one is interested at all? Not this next summer either I'm suspecting?

InfiniteBoredom

Because with that many years left in his contract it'd be dumb to splurge on him, especially when most of them are still in good shape striker wise (Utd the exception).

City has Aguero, Chelsea has Costa, Real still functions well with Benzema/Morata, Barca is stacked, Bayern has Lewandowski. None is nearing the end of their career yet.

Utd last year was held by the balls by Rooney, and already splurged £36m (rising to £50m) on a young forward.

Traub

So what about Alli, Alderweireld, the fullbacks? No one like...say Man City could use them eh?
Personally I don't rate your fullbacks. They playing the best in the league but I don't think they're worth spending a huge amount.

Alli is still learning, we may see someone make a move in about three years.

Alderweireld, I reckon he'll be gone in the summer.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Personally I don't rate your fullbacks. They playing the best in the league but I don't think they're worth spending a huge amount.

Alli is still learning, we may see someone make a move in about three years.

Alderweireld, I reckon he'll be gone in the summer.
Why would those teams wait to buy someone like Alli?

Everyone splurges 50+ every year on less proven projects like Martial, Stones, etc.

InfiniteBoredom

Why would those teams wait to buy someone like Alli?

Everyone splurges 50+ every year on less proven projects like Martial, Stones, etc.
Because they have adequate personnel in his position? The 3 teams who can afford him in this league, Chelsea City Utd, which one must do with him as no.10 or BoB midfielder at the extortionate price Levy will demand?

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs
Of course he has been and is, barring injury he's going to hit 20+ PL goals for the third straight season and at the moment is listed as favourite to win the GB again.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I'm not going to make concrete predictions because I think that's a fool's game in football.

However, I don't think it's a stretch to suggest it's going to be very difficult to buy a player from us if you're a domestic rival.

We told Modric and Chelsea to feck off when they tried to collude together and suggest that Modric would only want to stay in London and only want to play for Chelsea. One summer strike and one full season of exceptional performances later, Modric and his representatives suddenly discovered that playing for real and living in Madrid may not be so bad. Strange that. And we sold him for less than Chelsea offered.

Same with bale and man utds interest.

It's incorrect to make comments like would levy sell kane for 60 million to real rather than 120 million to Chelsea. As if he would be worth double to one club vs another.

And let me tell you. If West Ham decide they're not going to sell Payet, he can sit in the stands all he wants until February. But if he's still there then, he will come back and play. Because a player is not going to sit there for 4 months not playing at all.

Player power is strong. And it will usually win out. But it doesn't mean that it will win out when they want and on their own terms.

If kane ever decides to go on strike, I'm fairly confident that he won't be moving in that window and ultimately will probably end up moving to a different team than whichever one tapped him up.

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs
"of no interest" is not accurate to be fair. "Of no current interest at the price he would cost" is closer to the truth.
Agreed, and not just the price but the next to zero chance of getting him anyway.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Also, lloris was the player I thought most likely to leave this summer and with his new contract, this is unlikely now.

Alderweirald has a contact till 2019, with an option that we have to extend to 2020 and we're negotiating a new contract with him too. He's the last one not on a long term contract.

I think this squad (ie it's big players) will see in the new stadium. There will probably be movement after that.

And kanes record is incredible and he's well on course to break 20+ goals three seasons in a row (as a 23 year old). People turning their noses up at that is hilarious.

InfiniteBoredom

Also depends on whether you can get in the top 4 year in year out. Consecutive seasons out of the CL again and their arse would start twitching.

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs
Also, lloris was the player I thought most likely to leave this summer and with his new contract, this is unlikely now.

Alderweirald has a contact till 2019, with an option that we have to extend to 2020 and we're negotiating a new contract with him too. He's the last one not on a long term contract.

I think this squad (ie it's big players) will see in the new stadium. There will probably be movement after that.

And kanes record is incredible and he's well on course to break 20+ goals three seasons in a row (as a 23 year old). People turning their noses up at that is hilarious.
Lamela is the only other guy that we need to get on a new deal.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Also depends on whether you can get in the top 4 year in year out. Consecutive seasons out of the CL again and their arse would start twitching.
Well that's moving the goalposts a bit now isn't it?

One has suggested Alderweireld will be off. We're sitting in 2nd and look very good currently, why make a prediction like that if CL was important?