Harry Kane MBE | Performances

Revan

Assumptionman
Comparing Kane's record to the likes of Nistelrooy, Torres or Suarez is a bit unfair considering that they were already quite established when they came to EPL, while Kane was a kid when he started playing at EPL.

If Spurs accept a 100m pounds (which I don't think they would), I would have been all about this signing. He would perfectly fit Mourinho's system, and his game is much more than goals. Would be a terrific replacement for Ibra.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Comparing Kane's record to the likes of Nistelrooy, Torres or Suarez is a bit unfair considering that they were already quite established when they came to EPL, while Kane was a kid when he started playing at EPL.

If Spurs accept a 100m pounds (which I don't think they would), I would have been all about this signing. He would perfectly fit Mourinho's system, and his game is much more than goals. Would be a terrific replacement for Ibra.
I don't want him. (well I would be not for anything close to what Spurs would want) We should be aiming higher - Suarez tier. He's played better last couple of games but I've seem him in some matches and he can look like a drunk Rooney

Righteous Steps

Never worth that much, there must be a good young striker out there who wouldn't cost more than 30m, there definitely is.

Revan

Assumptionman
Never worth that much, there must be a good young striker out there who wouldn't cost more than 30m, there definitely is.
Sure there is. The problem though is for every good striker who costs just 30, there are 10 other strikers who look as good but in the end result in failures.

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs
Kane has scored 20 in his last 22 PL away games.

Pretty good going that.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
Skybet offered 100/1 on him to match Shearer and hit 260 PL goals at some stage last year, think he can do it? Max bet was £16 but I imagine a few took it on.

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs
Skybet offered 100/1 on him to match Shearer and hit 260 PL goals at some stage last year, think he can do it? Max bet was £16 but I imagine a few took it on.
He's probably the first player in a long time who has a chance.

Only 198 to go!

Kag

As long as he remains in England and doesn't suffer any serious injury then he'll give it a bloody good go.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
First 100 league games for club:
Messi - 44 goals
Neymar (Barca) - 59 goals
Raul - 44 goals
Kane - 62 goals (99 games)

Now I'm not saying he's as good as those players, but he's an impressively good goal scorer.

dbs235

The Euros made everyone think he's average. But for some reason England just don't perform at tournaments, they could have a front three of Messi-Suarez-Ronaldo and they'd all turn average too. They didn't even play anyone good, the defenders he was up against were no better than the ones he faces and scores against every week in the league. If he was poor against a team like Italy or Germany then maybe you could say he was found out at international level. But not being able to score against the likes of James Chester and Chris Gunter when he scores hat-tricks against better players in the league shows that clearly he was suffering from the England curse like it is for every player. What makes it even more strange is that he has an amazing record in London derbies and has scored against all the big teams (except United :)) so it doesn't seem like he can't handle the pressure. His goal record in the league is phenomenal.

Reactions: jojojo

Varun

Staff
He's very good but there are guys like Icardi you'd get for considerably less and guys like dybala who are better and would cost less as well. I'd rather not pay over the top to get someone from Spurs unless the guy is a truly elite player like modric, bale etc.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Let's say Spurs accepted bids of £100 million from all the other top 4 chasing sides, where would he go?

Back to Arsenal? A move north? Over to the nicer part of London?

I could see him moving to either Manchester club but that's about it.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Let's say Spurs accepted bids of £100 million from all the other top 4 chasing sides, where would he go?

Which is a big if, and I don't see it happening. Even if Poch got 100m to spend, how would he improve what he lost to a direct rival? Could we buy back Bale for 100m? We don't have that pulling power. On top of that, the signal it sends out can be even more damaging, and I really don't see it happening.

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs

The only possible English clubs whilst Levy is there that Spurs would accept a bid from are City and Liverpool, and they are both extremely unlikely.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
The only possible English clubs whilst Levy is there that Spurs would accept a bid from are City and Liverpool, and they are both extremely unlikely.
I get the reluctance Levy would have to sell to Arsenal (not that they'd bid 100 million) or Chelsea (not that Kane would move here) but is the relationship with Manchester United really so bad? Surely he has a pragmatic side to him.

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs
I get the reluctance Levy would have to sell to Arsenal (not that they'd bid 100 million) or Chelsea (not that Kane would move here) but is the relationship with Manchester United really so bad? Surely he has a pragmatic side to him.
At the time Bale was sold to RM there was pretty good ITK coming out of Spurs and we all knew despite the lateness that Bale was going to RM. Utd as confirmed by Moyes recently were interested and desperately wanted him but contrary to some media reports I don't believe a bid was ever made as they got a flat we aren't selling to you from Levy. There was even talk that they were prepared to go to £120m, which I do find hard to believe, but I'm certain they would have gone to £100m but Levy gave them zero encouragement.

I don't think he would even sell to Liverpool as we will soon be getting pretty much on a par with Liverpool financially, But he is pragmatic enough to know that whilst he is there we can never compete with City financially. So I would confidently say that City are the only English club that Levy would speak to, in circumstances where we wanted to keep the player.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Would have him in a heartbeat, £100m is a bargain for him. He's as good a goal scorer as anyone to have played in the EPL and would improve any team in the league.

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs
What if they offer him a million a week?
I don't know but we could play this about every player.

My answer is that I even doubt the £1m a week, he now has a week old baby, and moving the family to China probably isn't high on his agenda.

Needham

I don't know but we could play this about every player.

My answer is that I even doubt the £1m a week, he now has a week old baby, and moving the family to China probably isn't high on his agenda.
Fair play to him yesterday for doing the Bebeto celebration. Or maybe he regrets having it.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
The relationship with all the rivals is that way now.

We won't sell to rivals, it's that simple. The Berbatov fiasco changed a whole bunch of things at the club.

Firstly, players and agents both know when they come here that they can't use us as a stepping ladder to Arsenal, City, Chelsea, United, whoever.

The best bet would be to run out your contract...except Levy doesn't allow that either. He now always holds contract leverage.

If you want to agitate for a move have fun sitting in the stands for 3 or 4 years because that's where your contract is. You can't really agitate the other players either because they wouldn't be happy you want to go to a rival (one of the bonuses of having both an English and local spine) either AND they're fully aware it's not club policy to sell to rivals.

Now if a player wants to move so badly then fine you have to go abroad. If you're good enough to attract rival interest then you'll attract interest from abroad as well and Levy has shown he'll accept less money to ensure that's what happens.

We've seen this happen. The last time we sold to a rival was nearly ten years ago. We've had players our rival clubs would want in those years in between and yet exactly none of them have ever ended up there.

Furthermore you can expect no moves to happen while Levy is negotiating for Stadium Naming Rights, Shirt Sponsors, and a New kit deal which all come up soon. These young stars like Kane and Alli are terrific for promotion and are how Levy will make a huge chunk of his money on those deals. Even from a purely monetary standpoint keeping them is more valuable than selling them for even the most ludicrous of transfer fees.

MiceOnMeth

So if Kane did a Payet and refused to play and demanded a move and United bid 120 million pounds but the two Spanish giants only bid 50 million he'd accept their offer? I highly doubt that with a new stadium on the way, he'd be insane to turn down that kind of money

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
So if Kane did a Payet and refused to play and demanded a move and United bid 120 million pounds but the two Spanish giants only bid 50 million he'd accept their offer? I highly doubt that with a new stadium on the way, he'd be insane to turn down that kind of money
That example is pointless because the gap between those bids is unrealistic. I'd prefer City to sell Aguero to Real Madrid for £50m than to Arsenal for £60m, for example.

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs
If Kane did a Payet and refused to play and there were no offers from abroad then depending on his contract situation (which is currently 5.5 years) he'd probably be sitting in the stands.

finneh

The relationship with all the rivals is that way now.

We won't sell to rivals, it's that simple. The Berbatov fiasco changed a whole bunch of things at the club.

Firstly, players and agents both know when they come here that they can't use us as a stepping ladder to Arsenal, City, Chelsea, United, whoever.

The best bet would be to run out your contract...except Levy doesn't allow that either. He now always holds contract leverage.

If you want to agitate for a move have fun sitting in the stands for 3 or 4 years because that's where your contract is. You can't really agitate the other players either because they wouldn't be happy you want to go to a rival (one of the bonuses of having both an English and local spine) either AND they're fully aware it's not club policy to sell to rivals.

Now if a player wants to move so badly then fine you have to go abroad. If you're good enough to attract rival interest then you'll attract interest from abroad as well and Levy has shown he'll accept less money to ensure that's what happens.

We've seen this happen. The last time we sold to a rival was nearly ten years ago. We've had players our rival clubs would want in those years in between and yet exactly none of them have ever ended up there.

Furthermore you can expect no moves to happen while Levy is negotiating for Stadium Naming Rights, Shirt Sponsors, and a New kit deal which all come up soon. These young stars like Kane and Alli are terrific for promotion and are how Levy will make a huge chunk of his money on those deals. Even from a purely monetary standpoint keeping them is more valuable than selling them for even the most ludicrous of transfer fees.
Whilst I agree it would be a lot more difficult for a Premier League club to get Kane, certainly than in years gone by, I think you're a bit naive in the sense that there will only be five clubs in the world that would sanction the kind of bid required and three are English. Spurs could well be in a situation where given the costs involved only PL clubs are interested (plus how many English players choose to move abroad).

Therefore you may have a situation where Kane wants to be winning titles and earning a market rate salary of £13-15m a year and Spurs want £120m, but the only clubs offering that are City/United/Chelsea. Now of course he has a contract until 2022 so nothing is happening for at least 2.5 years (probably 2020), but to be so categoric is naive. Of course Levy would prefer to sell to Madrid for £10m less, but if it's United for £120m or Juventus for £60m it's a no brainer.

Also you say the last time you sold to a rival was a decade ago, which is true. However the only two players any rival would want during that period would be Modric/Bale, two players whereby you were in the fortunate position of having a simple choice between Madrid or a PL club. Naturally that choice is simple for any team.

Also it's worth mentioning that Spurs have not been able to keep a player as talented as Kane for decades (your salary restrictions and lack of silverware make it impossible); so it's almost certainly a question of when and where, rather than if.

If Kane did a Payet and refused to play and there were no offers from abroad then depending on his contract situation (which is currently 5.5 years) he'd probably be sitting in the stands.
If you think Spurs are in the financial position to write of a £120m asset and pay someone £5-6m a year for several years to sit in the stands I think you need a reality check. Not that I think it'll happen of course.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I still don't think he's worth the type of money it would take to get him.

MiceOnMeth

So Levy would let 120 million pounds rot in the stands? Yes hes stubborn but to do that would be enough to qualify him as clinically insane. 120 million is 120 million i don't care if you're Richie Rich that kind of money is hard to turn your nose at.

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs
Whilst I agree it would be a lot more difficult for a Premier League club to get Kane, certainly than in years gone by, I think you're a bit naive in the sense that there will only be five clubs in the world that would sanction the kind of bid required and three are English. Spurs could well be in a situation where given the costs involved only PL clubs are interested (plus how many English players choose to move abroad).

Therefore you may have a situation where Kane wants to be winning titles and earning a market rate salary of £13-15m a year and Spurs want £120m, but the only clubs offering that are City/United/Chelsea. Now of course he has a contract until 2022 so nothing is happening for at least 2.5 years (probably 2020), but to be so categoric is naive. Of course Levy would prefer to sell to Madrid for £10m less, but if it's United for £120m or Juventus for £60m it's a no brainer.

Also you say the last time you sold to a rival was a decade ago, which is true. However the only two players any rival would want during that period would be Modric/Bale, two players whereby you were in the fortunate position of having a simple choice between Madrid or a PL club. Naturally that choice is simple for any team.

Also it's worth mentioning that Spurs have not been able to keep a player as talented as Kane for decades (your salary restrictions and lack of silverware make it impossible); so it's almost certainly a question of when and where, rather than if.

If you think Spurs are in the financial position to write of a £120m asset and pay someone £5-6m a year for several years to sit in the stands I think you need a reality check. Not that I think it'll happen of course.
It was a ridiculous hypothetical answer to an equal question as there is zero likelihood.

As for winning titles and salary, Spurs will soon be in a position to up their salary's quite significantly and as for titles I don't see anywhere where he's way more likely at the moment than where he is, the top 6 are much of a muchness.

finneh

It was a ridiculous hypothetical answer to an equal question as there is zero likelihood.

As for winning titles and salary, Spurs will soon be in a position to up their salary's quite significantly and as for titles I don't see anywhere where he's way more likely at the moment than where he is, the top 6 are much of a muchness.
It'll be another 10-15 years before Spurs can offer a salary of £12m+ (by which time other clubs will be offering even more). Even Arsenal who have been at the Emirates for a decade and are years ahead of Spurs in terms of sponsorship deals are struggling to offer Ozil/Sanchez the £10-12m a week salaries they are looking for.

In terms of titles I meant over the next 10 years. You'd expect the clubs with a £220-250m salary bill to be winning the vast majority (of not all) of the next 10 titles, although the last 18 months has undoubtedly been bizarre in terms of top teams under-performing and smaller teams capitalising. My view is that period is coming to an end though.