Harry Kane MBE | Performances

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Ok so it's always the team or the club and not him failing to show up when the team looks to him in big spots? Got it.
It's a team sport, barring some exceptions, it's always the big clubs with best squad and manager that wins trophies.

Kyle Walker moving to ManCity from Spurs didn't make him some sort of champion mentality guy, likewise Kane's failed to City didn't make him losing mentality guy. If Kane got the move like Walker did, Kane would have been PL winner by now. Only reason Kane didn't have PL winner medal is because of Levy and how good a player he is for Spurs to lose him.

roonster09

Scout
That's what happens in sport. Even in team sports. It's why in the eyes of many Brady is better than Rodgers, Jordan is better than Lebron etc. etc.
The 'bu-but what about the team?!?!' argument just doesn't stand up to posterity, even though it appears logical at the time.
I sort of knew there was lot of Americanization view of sport when I read your post, thanks for confirming with all the "clutch" thing which is more suited to NBA but somehow randomly used in football.

Also by your logic, 27-28 year old Jordan shouldn't have been trusted (and his mentality should have been questioned) as he didn't win anything till that time?

Even if you go by NBA, there are so many examples where great players didn't win anything, then moved teams before winning NBA titles.

kaku06

Vulgarian
Wasn’t Sanchez always considered a good professional up until his move to United? What about Mane struggling at Bayern? My point isn’t to say that this will happen with Kane. He’s moving within the PL and should naturally carry on his Spurs form. But stanger things have happened in football. Spurs is a fairly big club but it’s not even remotely close to the level of pressure and expectation as Manchester United. That can cause many good players to wither or fail to adapt. I’m just providing the flip side.

On RVP we did get him for a very reasonable fee as well not the obscene figure Spurs will want for a 29 year old Kane when our team has other issues and a much bigger gap to bridge than it did when SAF was here. And he too declined rapidly from 29 to 30/31 without the same league so theres no rule that elite strikers can’t fall off.

The point about others being in their prime is a very fair one. I still feel that regardless it will take us a few years to get where we want to.

Having said all of the above I’m not against us signing Kane - he’s a fine CF. But I am wary of it turning sour due to various factors.
Disagree a fair bit again with your post but we can go back and forth all day long so there’s no point. I want to know what striker you want us to sign this summer given every signing is a risk according to your post because make no mistake we have to sign one. And to be honest Kane is as much an assured signing you can make. So if not him then who do you suggest?

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
I really despise the penalty strawman. Ofcourse penalties count, but his penalty record barely does anything for a team who has a reliable penalty taker. That +2 penalties he might score over Bruno is next to meaningless.

We barely get pens nowadays, and Bruno still scores a majority of them. nPxG is a very useful statistic.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
I sort of knew there was lot of Americanization view of sport when I read your post, thanks for confirming with all the "clutch" thing which is more suited to NBA but somehow randomly used in football.

Also by your logic, 27-28 year old Jordan shouldn't have been trusted (and his mentality should have been questioned) as he didn't win anything till that time?

Even if you go by NBA, there are so many examples where great players didn't win anything, then moved teams before winning NBA titles.
Winning matters in every sport, not just American sport.

The gradation of greatness appears to be thus:

1) Win playing beautiful football

2) Just win

3) Don't win but play beautiful football.

Re Jordan, I don't know if you are old enough to remember but Jordan was criticised a great deal before he won. And that criticism was fair, because although he was clearly an awesome talent, it was felt that he could be pushed around. He had to build his body up and come back stronger to get over the hump. He also had to become less selfish

If you don't like the term 'clutch' by the way, let me substitute the far more traditional and Anglo football approved term 'big-game player', a moniker that I don't believe applies to Kane.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Why does it matter if some are penalties though? Do they not count? What is your point?
My point is you playing down the other two (Charlton and Rooney) to champion Kane whilst omitting key factors in why what's come about has come about. And penalties are a factor, especially when compared to the other two, who combined have taken just over half of Kane's tally.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Uh huh. :houllier: Kane has beaten the English record by playing less games than the next top scorer Rooney - and it's a lot less games (120 vs 81). Even Bobby Charlton played 106 times and scored 49 goals. If Kane plays for another 40 games to match what Rooney played in his career it's likely he will have obliterated Rooney's record. Anybody trying to suggest this is not impressive is either an idiot or has such an agenda against Kane that it's embarrassing.
Modern international score statistics are gonna be inflated by the amount of games that are played nowadays compared to 40 years ago, especially against bad opponents.

Harry Kane, Dzeko, Lewandowski, and Lukaku for example have more goals at international football than the likes of R9,Romario, and Platini, that doesn't mean they had a better international career or better performances, it just means that they played more cannon fodder opponents.

Last edited:

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
My point is you playing down the other two (Charlton and Rooney) to champion Kane whilst omitting key factors in why what's come about has come about. And penalties are a factor, especially when compared to the other two, who combined have taken just over half of Kane's tally.
I still don't take your point? Rooney scored 7 penalties for England - so what? This is such a weak, weak argument to take as if a penalty is any less important than any other type of goal is utterly ridiculous. Is this honestly the best you have got to try and dismiss Kane's achievements? Lets see how many goals he scores for England by the time he retires - I guarantee that even if you disregard his penalties he will be far ahead of any other English striker in history.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Modern international score statistics are gonna be inflated by the amount of games that are played nowadays compared to 40 years ago, especially against bad opponents.

Harry Kane, Dzeko, Lewandowski, and Lukaku for example have more goals at international football than the likes of R9,Romario, and Platini, that doesn't mean they had a better international career or better performances, it just means that they played more cannon fodder opponents.
My point shows that he has scored more goals than any other English striker and in MUCH LESS GAMES. So trying to argue that he only beats the record because of an 'inflated number of games' is so daft. He also has more goals in international tournament final stages than any other English player - can you explain that away as well somehow?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I still don't take your point? Rooney scored 7 penalties for England - so what? This is such a weak, weak argument to take as if a penalty is any less important than any other type of goal is utterly ridiculous. Is this honestly the best you have got to try and dismiss Kane's achievements? Lets see how many goals he scores for England by the time he retires - I guarantee that even if you disregard his penalties he will be far ahead of any other English striker in history.
You've honed in only on penalties - they are a factor, which is why what Charlton did is more impressive than what Rooney did, and so on. There was a second part to the post, which again makes what Charlton did more impressive than what Rooney did, and so on.

And if you disregard penalties, evidently he isn't ahead of the other two, let alone far ahead, or likely to be even by retirement.

roonster09

Scout
Winning matters in every sport, not just American sport.

The gradation of greatness appears to be thus:

1) Win playing beautiful football

2) Just win

3) Don't win but play beautiful football.

Re Jordan, I don't know if you are old enough to remember but Jordan was criticised a great deal before he won. And that criticism was fair, because although he was clearly an awesome talent, it was felt that he could be pushed around. He had to build his body up and come back stronger to get over the hump. He also had to become less selfish

If you don't like the term 'clutch' by the way, let me substitute the far more traditional and Anglo football approved term 'big-game player', a moniker that I don't believe applies to Kane.
Winning matters and winning doesn't depend on single individual.

Also Jordan, Lebron example should prove how stupid this "Kane didn't win anything" points are. Both of them didn't win until they were in their late 20s, one of them even switched teams to win title.

So if Kane joins City or Bayer or even Celtic all of a sudden he will have winning mentality just because he will get league winner medal? Is Phil Jones some sort of winning mentality player than every Spurs player who played in last 20 years?

Players who left Spurs have gone on to win big trophies, there are plenty of examples. Just because player didn't win anything at Spurs doesn't mean there is some problem with player mentality. Like I said, it's a squad game, trophies are won by teams that have best players and best coaches with few exceptions here and there.

Oh "big-game player' thing, that counts only if the player scores or assists but doesn't record his impact when he plays his player through multiple times playing awesome over the defense passes.

Also yes, clutch is a bs term in football, sort of used by Messi vs Ronaldo maniacs for some odd reason.

Lecland07

A couple of things I have learned in this thread:

- Penalties don't count as goals.
- 11 players are no longer needed; one is enough to win trophies.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Winning matters and winning doesn't depend on single individual.
Yes but a single individual can have a great impact on winning. That much is obvious.
Also Jordan, Lebron example should prove how stupid this "Kane didn't win anything" points are. Both of them didn't win until they were in their late 20s, one of them even switched teams to win title.
Lebron and MJ had one title available to them each year. Not the case for Kane, who has 3 goals in 13 semi finals and finals and zero goals in the Euros final, the World Cup semi-final, the Nations League semi final, multiple League Cup finals and the Champions League final. Argue as much as you want, that is simply not impressive to me.
So if Kane joins City or Bayer or even Celtic all of a sudden he will have winning mentality just because he will get league winner medal? Is Phil Jones some sort of winning mentality player than every Spurs player who played in last 20 years?
If you understand the rubric of team sports, individuals play different roles. It is always a tactic of someone defending a star player who never shows up in big moments to point to a run of the mill role player who happened to be on a winning team and say "Oh I guess HE is a winner and (big game flop player X) is not?!??'

But those who advance that argument know deep down that this is not the point being made.
Players who left Spurs have gone on to win big trophies, there are plenty of examples. Just because player didn't win anything at Spurs doesn't mean there is some problem with player mentality. Like I said, it's a squad game, trophies are won by teams that have best players and best coaches with few exceptions here and there.
I love how you throw in 'with a few exceptions here and there'. OK, how about scoring in a loss in some of those big games that I mentioned above. Why does that never happen?
Oh "big-game player' thing, that counts only if the player scores or assists but doesn't record his impact when he plays his player through multiple times playing awesome over the defense passes.
Using the word 'awesome' and spelling 'defence' with an 's'. Ironic for someone pejoratively accusing other people of using Americanisms.
Also yes, clutch is a bs term in football, sort of used by Messi vs Ronaldo maniacs for some odd reason.
Used by people who actually appreciate players that don't disappear in 99% of big games, I'd wager.

roonster09

Scout
Yes but a single individual can have a great impact on winning. That much is obvious.

Lebron and MJ had one title available to them each year. Not the case for Kane, who has 3 goals in 13 semi finals and finals and zero goals in the Euros final, the World Cup semi-final, the Nations League semi final, multiple League Cup finals and the Champions League final. Argue as much as you want, that is simply not impressive to me.

If you understand the rubric of team sports, individuals play different roles. It is always a tactic of someone defending a star player who never shows up in big moments to point to a run of the mill role player who happened to be on a winning team and say "Oh I guess HE is a winner and (big game flop player X) is not?!??'

But those who advance that argument know deep down that this is not the point being made.

I love how you throw in 'with a few exceptions here and there'. OK, how about scoring in a loss in some of those big games that I mentioned above. Why does that never happen?

Using the word 'awesome' and spelling 'defence' with an 's'. Ironic for someone pejoratively accusing other people of using Americanisms.

Used by people who actually appreciate players that don't disappear in 99% of big games, I'd wager.
Meh, same nonsense.

Scott Brown FTW, winning mentality machine.

roonster09

Scout

Yeah, you don't need 11 players. If players has balls of steel, is clutch and whatever nonsense that spilled out from Messi vs Ronaldo bs thread, then he should win the trophies by himself.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert

No one said either of those things but the people who defend Kane with their lives are hiding behind such strawmen.

nickm

Would Kane improve us? Yes. Would Kane make an immediate difference to us? Yes. Would we get enough longevity from Kane for the money? Hmmm.

mctrials23

Would Kane improve us? Yes. Would Kane make an immediate difference to us? Yes. Would we get enough longevity from Kane for the money? Hmmm.
This is quite literally the argument in my eyes. Is he good value for money. That depends on the transfer fee. I have no doubts he would be great for us for 3-4 years. I don't think that is worth it for £100m + wages. £60m? Yeah.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Probably. Rooney was clearly a better football than him though.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Probably. Rooney was clearly a better football than him though.
That is debatable - on a Utd forum clearly the consensus would be Rooney but outside of that I'm not sure - Kane is an incredible all-round footballer as well but a better goal scorer.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
That is debatable - on a Utd forum clearly the consensus would be Rooney but outside of that I'm not sure - Kane is an incredible all-round footballer as well but a better goal scorer.
Such questions are often asked on platforms like Reddit and the consensus is always Rooney.

Kane is of course a better #9 and I really hope Utd sign him in the summer, but he's a notch or two below Rooney as an overall player.

Rooney could quite literally run through teams and be everywhere in the pitch. Kane doesn't have that skill set. Not a mark against him mind you, I think he's world class in his position, he just isn't as good as Rooney.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Such questions are often asked on platforms like Reddit and the consensus is always Rooney.

Kane is of course a better #9 and I really hope Utd sign him in the summer, but he's a notch or two below Rooney as an overall player.

Rooney could quite literally run through teams and be everywhere in the pitch. Kane doesn't have that skill set. Not a mark against him mind you, I think he's world class in his position, he just isn't as good as Rooney.
Kane is not just a #9 though, he can play like a #10 as well in a similar way that Rooney could so in some ways they are quite similar - Kane has a better range of passes than Rooney (or at least as good) and is a better finisher but he doesnt have the physical attributes that Rooney had when he was younger with his strength (though Kane is strong) and explosiveness.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Kane is not just a #9 though, he can play like a #10 as well in a similar way that Rooney could so in some ways they are quite similar - Kane has a better range of passes than Rooney (or at least as good) and is a better finisher but he doesnt have the physical attributes that Rooney had when he was younger with his strength (though Kane is strong) and explosiveness.
I'll have to disagree with you there. Kane is great at dropping deep into that position but it is very different from actually playing in that position. There's also a defensive component to it at which Rooney was far better. Plus at his peak Rooney's ball carrying ability at pace was far superior to Kane.

ForeverRed1

There isn’t loads and loads of truely world class strikers out there right now. If we get 4/5 years out of them while the next big things come through (evan Ferguson, sesko etc) then so be it. No reason he can’t play till he’s 34/35

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Uh huh. :houllier: Kane has beaten the English record by playing less games than the next top scorer Rooney - and it's a lot less games (120 vs 81). Even Bobby Charlton played 106 times and scored 49 goals. If Kane plays for another 40 games to match what Rooney played in his career it's likely he will have obliterated Rooney's record. Anybody trying to suggest this is not impressive is either an idiot or has such an agenda against Kane that it's embarrassing.
Don't feel butt hurt, Rooney's record isn't that impressive either. My point is the same about both of them when it comes to recent format of competitions.

I haven't watched Sir Bobby, but from what I have read he was probably better player for England than any of Rooney or Kane were.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Don't feel butt hurt, Rooney's record isn't that impressive either. My point is the same about both of them when it comes to recent format of competitions.

I haven't watched Sir Bobby, but from what I have read he was probably better player for England than any of Rooney or Kane were.
France record scorer: Giroud
Brazil record scorer: Neymar
Argentina record scorer: Messi
Portugal record scorer: Ronaldo
Holland record scorer: Van Persie
Spain record scorer: Villa
Germany record scorer: Klose
Belgium record scorer: Lukaku
Uruguay record scorer: Suarez

Hmmmm. Definite pattern emerging here. I think Italy are the only major nation left with a record holder that is not a current or near current player.

To be fair to Kane, his ratio is very good.

Lecland07

No one said either of those things but the people who defend Kane with their lives are hiding behind such strawmen.
The argument you are making about trophies is nonsensical, though. Tottenham are probably the worst example of trying to rate a player on trophies, also.

Walker, Eriksen, Modric and Carrick won nothing at Tottenham. These are some great players, and they couldn't win a trophy with them, but went on to success after leaving.

Bale won one league cup. Is that trophy worth much alone? Not really, especially considering how much he won at Madrid.

El Jefe

The argument you are making about trophies is nonsensical, though. Tottenham are probably the worst example of trying to rate a player on trophies, also.

Walker, Eriksen, Modric and Carrick won nothing at Tottenham. These are some great players, and they couldn't win a trophy with them, but went on to success after leaving.

Bale won one league cup. Is that trophy worth much alone? Not really, especially considering how much he won at Madrid.
Its not nonsensical though. The players you mentioned other than Eriksen barely played long enough for Spurs so that's a weak argument.

The difference between not winning a trophy and winning one lies often comes down to your best player, so Kane absolutely should shoulder a lot of the blame on that.

Also this is Spurs we're talking about not a hopeless side. During Kane's time, Spurs have had periods where they've been one of the best sides in the league and had enough talent to go toe to toe with Europe's giants.

Usually when a team that isn't a traditional top team has a period at the top they make it count. See Monaco, Dortmund, Leicester and now Napoli. Spurs absolutely had their chances to win stuff and not just the team but Kane has personally shit the bed in these moments. I can count the Euro finals at home too.

He gets babied more than any star there is. Totti, Shearer, Gerrard weren't in the easiest situations but all dragged their teams over the finish line at least once.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
:lol: no it isn’t

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Its not nonsensical though. The players you mentioned other than Eriksen barely played long enough for Spurs so that's a weak argument.

The difference between not winning a trophy and winning one lies often comes down to your best player, so Kane absolutely should shoulder a lot of the blame on that.

Also this is Spurs we're talking about not a hopeless side. During Kane's time, Spurs have had periods where they've been one of the best sides in the league and had enough talent to go toe to toe with Europe's giants.

Usually when a team that isn't a traditional top team has a period at the top they make it count. See Monaco, Dortmund, Leicester and now Napoli. Spurs absolutely had their chances to win stuff and not just the team but Kane has personally shit the bed in these moments. I can count the Euro finals at home too.

He gets babied more than any star there is. Totti, Shearer, Gerrard weren't in the easiest situations but all dragged their teams over the finish line at least once.
Wow. So much sense in this post. Explained it much better than I could