Harry Kane MBE | Performances

Charles Miller

Meanwhile in the real world the level of the players dont change after every game according to the result.

Bwuk

He’s too good for Spurs.

Kane should be playing for a team with a realistic chance of winning the champions league. He’s a level above his team mates.

For Spurs sake it’s imperative they keep a hold of him. Maybe he doesn’t have the ambition to join an elite side, or maybe he thinks Spurs can reach Madrid’s level.

Does he want to be another Alan Shearer? World class striker who played for the side he loves, but doesn’t have the trophies/accolades his talent deserves.

Swap him for Benzema and that Madrid side would of slaughtered PSG last night.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
And Benzema is still a phenomenal player who does a lots of great contributions for Madrid's overall play and gets involved for many of their goals. His goalscoring form this season might be a bit poor, but it doesn't make him utter crap tho.

Benzema is a very underrated player who gets overlooked usually on RedCafe, so I wouldn't take their words...
Benzema is good, he's most definitely not phenomenal and his goalscoring hasn't been poor, it's been horrific. Since the start of 2017 he's scored 17 goals in 60 matches... Pretty sure if you put any of the CBs in his position they'd have more goals. Ramos has 12 playing as a centreback...

With that said, he does get underrated and he's still good enough to start for Madrid. He needs serious competition, not to be outright replaced.

Last edited:

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Spurs officially departing from the CL tonight means only one thing, Kane to United is very much on.

Gonna be a good Summer lads n lasses!

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Spurs officially departing from the CL tonight means only one thing, Kane to United is very much on.

Would love to see that happen, but it'd be highly unlikely for Kane to join us or any other PL team. £200 million bid might not be enough for Levy.

El Pasillo

Swap him for Benzema and that Madrid side would of slaughtered PSG last night.
Kane's shots from close range has been saved before, not a guarantee that he would've buried it from that hard angle.

Beside, it's the only goalscoring chance Benzema had during the entire PSG-RM game.

Let's not pretend that Benz had plethoras of opportunities.

Benzema is good, he's most definitely not phenomenal and his goalscoring hasn't been poor, it's been horrific. Since the start of 2017 he's scored 17 goals in 60 matches... Pretty sure if you put any of the CBs in his position they'd have more goals. Ramos has 12 playing as a centreback...

With that said, he does get underrated and he's still good enough to start for Madrid. He needs serious competition, not to be outright replaced.
Benzema's all-round game is still top notch and remains as one of their most important players in their starting XI. Dunno where you get the idea that Benzema isn't a phenomenal footballer.

And I don't think it's fair to only judging Benzema's own goalscoring production while ignoring what he contributes indirectly for many of Real Madrid's goals in the final third. Or using "since the start of 2017", which is just a biased POV instead of going for season as a metric.

Only this season, Benzema has been indirectly/directly involved around 30+ goals for Real Madrid after watching videos from his matches.
Which is pretty decent tbh.

Champions League

-
Tottenham (Home): Made a flick-pass to Kroos who got fouled inside the box. Cristiano Ronaldo scores the 1-1 goal.
- APOEL (Away): Made 2 goals and assisted Cristiano's 6-0 goal.
- PSG (Away): Created space with his off-the-ball movement for Lucas Vazquez who made the cross to CR7's 1-0 goal.

La Liga

- Deportivo La Coruna (Away): Made an assist for Bale's 1-0 goal + pre-assist for Kroos' 3-0 goal.
- Getafe (Away): Made the 1-0 goal.
- Eibar (Home: Was subbed in and made an assist for Marcelo's 3-1 goal.
- Girona (Away): Was involved in the build-up phase when Real Madrid launched an counter-attack and Isco scored 1-0 goal.
- Málaga (Home): Made the 1-0 goal.
- Sevilla (Home): Assisted Achraf's 5-0 goal.
- Deportivo La Coruna (Home): Was subbed in and Madrid scored 4 goals thanks to his off-the-ball movement
- Valencia (Away): Real Madrid launched a counter-attack and Benz made a lay-off pass to Cristiano who got fould inside the box. Scored the 1-0 goal.
- Levante (Home): Made the assist for Isco's 2-1 goal.
- Real Betis (Away): Was subbed in and scored the 5-3 goal.
- Leganes (Away): Made 2 pre-assists for Lucas Vazquez & Casemiro's respective goal.
- Alaves (Home): Made 2 assists and scored the 4-0 goal from penalty spot.
- Getafe (Home): Made an assist for Cristiano's 2-0 goal.

Copa del Rey

-
Leganes (Home): Scored the 1-1 goal.

SuperCopa

-
Barcelona (Home): Scored the 2-0 goal.

UEFA Super Cup

-
Manchester United (Neutral): Kept the ball well in possession while Smalling kept harassing him. Isco scored the 2-1 goal laterly.

Last edited:

Oscar.Z.Acosta

Bad open goal miss tonight that’s hardly mentioned.

He’s a very good forward but I can’t quite get these ‘best in the world’ epithets. He’d suit Mourinho’s tactics perfectly, though...

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I think he is still the best striker/goalscorer in Europe this season:

1. Kane 35 goals in 37 games
2. Salah 32 goals in 38 games
3. Messi 32 goals in 41 games
4. Ronaldo 31 goals in 33 games
5. Augero 30 goals in 36 games
6. Cavani 33 goals in 38 games (most of goals scored in French league though)
7. Neymar 28 goals in 30 games (most of goals scored in French league though)

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP

Immobile: 32 in 34

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Don't know why he's been compared with Ronaldo.
It's bizarre. He's an awesome player and awesome players have average games.
Doesn't mean he's overrated or anything like that.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

Don't know how anyone can look at that and tell me he's not world class.
On the verge of winning his third golden boot in a row, in what many people call the world's toughest league.

Trizy

He should leave and we should go bald headed to sign him. Even if it means the end of Lukaku.

Rom is good but Kane is a level above. Arguably the best striker in the world the past 2 seasons and only getting better. I can't help but think he's more of a Jose striker than Lukaku, too. Might not be a popular opinion but... meh.

Stacks

He should leave and we should go bald headed to sign him. Even if it means the end of Lukaku.

Rom is good but Kane is a level above. Arguably the best striker in the world the past 2 seasons and only getting better. I can't help but think he's more of a Jose striker than Lukaku, too. Might not be a popular opinion but... meh.
Don't know how anyone can look at that and tell me he's not world class.
On the verge of winning his third golden boot in a row, in what many people call the world's toughest league.
Call me crazy but big Champions League and International nights add more weight IMO than Kaning it in the league. It may seem unfair as he did have a decent tally in Europe but when the likes of Messi or Cristiano are knocking out big teams in the CL, they show me more.
World class you must do it at world level. He scored 7 in the CL which is commendable. I still feel he is a good knock out stage/international tourney away........

Screw it, he probably is world class but hasn't had the platform to show it yet.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Not a chance of that happening.

He will not be United player by the end of the Summer window.
Would love to see that happen, but it'd be highly unlikely for Kane to join us or any other PL team. £200 million bid might not be enough for Levy.
Never say never!

Does the notion of Harry Kane playing for United really seem so hard to believe? Acquiring his signature will of course be an uphill battle, the lad is is seemingly content at Spurs - for the the time being at least - there's also the Levy factor and his utterly bizzare hatred of United, not to mention the monumental fee a player of his world class ability demands.

Still no one ever suggested that purchasing a top footballer is some minor undertaking, far from it in fact, but at the same time such a task is not beyond the realms of possibility either. We managed to secure the services of one of footballs then top midfield talents, Paul Pogba, from under the noses of Real no less. Then there was Lukaku, whom was all but guaranteed to join Chelsea before Woody snuck in and scuppered the deal. He is now a fully fledged United player. Then there was Sanchez, yet another player whom was promised to another club, this time the mighty Man City, the ultimate destination for all footballers whom harbour an insatiable ambition toward success (apparently), yet Woody involved himself in the deal and the result was the same as before. Sanchez is now a United player.

You would be foolish to doubt Woody's capability in transfer department, just as you would be to doubt United's overall pulling power. Should he push hard enough, Woody can make this deal can happen.

Last edited:

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Never say never!

Does the notion of Harry Kane playing for United really seem so hard to believe? Acquiring his signature will of course be an uphill battle, the lad is is seemingly content at Spurs - for the the time being at least - there's also the Levy factor and his utterly bizzare hatred of United, not to mention the monumental fee a player of his world class ability demands.

Still no one ever suggested that purchasing a top footballer is some minor undertaking, far from it in fact, but at the same time such a task is not beyond the realms of possibility either. We managed to secure the services of one of footballs then top midfield talents, Paul Pogba, from under the noses of Real no less. Then there was Lukaku, whom was all but guaranteed to join Chelsea before Woody snuck in and scuppered the deal. He is now a fully fledged United player. Then there was Sanchez, yet another player whom was promised to another club, this time the mighty Man City, the ultimate destination for all footballers whom harbour an insatiable ambition toward success (apparently), yet Woody involved himself in the deal and the result was the same as before. Sanchez is now a United player.

You would be foolish to doubt Woody's capability in transfer department, just as you would be to doubt United's overall pulling power. Should he push hard enough, Woody can make this deal can happen.
It wont happen.

Quote me on it. None of those deals you mentioned come anywhere close to the difficulty of signing Kane.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

He's more of an anybody's striker than Lukaku.

Neuron

Let's just say f**k it and go old school with Lukaku and Kane up top. Romelu can drift to the right anyway and put in a pretty good cross like we've seen on occasion this season.

sunama

Baghdad Bob

Not happening, dude.
The reason is that we spent big money on Lukaku. While Lukaku is on our books, Kane (or any top striker) will not be joining us.
Lukaku will play virtually every match and any incoming striker will need to accept that he will be a bench warmer. And something tells me, Kane won't be happy sitting on the bench. ;)

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I think £200M would do the trick, but which club (in the EPL) is desperate enough to pay that?
Even MCFC may baulk at that price tag.
Had we not bought Lukaku, then I could see us attempting to lure Kane, but the reality is that we have Lukaku and we are not going to shell out £200M on a striker which we don't desperately need.

What we do need are midfielders. Spending £200m on midfielders this Summer would be money well spent.

Guy Incognito

Kane going to United is something I won't rule out. If he went abroad, didn't work out there. Surprised City aren't linked with him, he would make their attack frighteningly good. :nervous:

Can't see him leaving next season, incidentally the make or break one in terms of a transfer.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I agree that he doesn't face elite defenders in the Premier League and I think he should be very disappointed at missing their two big chances. But come on. He's scored 7 goals in 13 games against Juve, Madrid, Dortmund, Arsenal, Chelsea, United and City. The only team he's played twice that he hasn't scored against is Madrid. And the majority of those goals were decisive. He's doing better than most top strikers against top teams, in a team that is clearly a level below the best.

There are loads of times the best striker in the world failed to score in one leg of a game against an elite defensive team. To suggest it even partially invalidates the claim is really reaching.
Before establishing themselves as the best striker in the world? Besides which, I think this conversation has been far too goal-centric when I expressly stated, in two separate posts, that it's not just about scoring; it's in the performance delivered as well.

It's been a running theme on the caf for years to prematurely anoint players to the very top of the totem pole before they've got the credit in the bank. Kane being elevated to best striker on the planet with little international pedigree and a very good, but not stellar CL run doesn't add up. That's why I said it moves on to the World Cup for him now in that regard.

He's still a tremendous player - a single game doesn't change that, but it tells you he's in that bracket rather than sitting atop it. He faced a world class CB - the likes you yourself said he doesn't see at all in his domestic league - and his overall game was reduced a few notches. So now, we need to see him against more of these world class CB's to see how he does when faced with opposing numbers he has to do a whole lot better to best than what he's used to.

You can't put him above strikers who have come through such tests and triumphed, can you?

A part of this comes down to how you wish to weight games and opposing numbers as well as the platform the game is being played on. I think you know I value the CL KO stages multiple times more than the current domestic level of the PL. One is where you can look the part, the other is where you prove you are the part. The same will go for City when they actually come up against genuine top-level CL opposition - that's where I'll truly value them as a team. The point at which they go out there and run roughshod over one of the top European sides, not so much via their walkover in the league, even though it has its place and is good in a certain context.

He scored against Juve and had a ball cleared off the line tonight. He held up the ball against their defence excellently for 60 minutes tonight. In the first half he put Chiellini on his arse and nearly scored. For most of the two legs Chiellini looked dreck. He only looked good when Juve were able to put everyone behind the ball.

Did you even watch these two games?
I think you're purposely ignoring nuance here to suit your argument. Juventus played open, risky football that was rife with opportunities for Spurs because they were chasing the goals that they got. The very moment they got what they wanted, they shut up shop, sat with a deep bank and closed down all space, effectively looking like the world class unit they are. At this point Kane's influence diminished because the space he was getting was now compromised by black and white shirts. It's an experience for him he simply cannot get in the PL, as only a select few teams in the world can do things like that and none of them reside in the PL. He looked good, but nothing special when the ranks got closed in. To be this all-encompassing, best striker on the planet, he has to overcome such obstacles. He'll have more of them at the World Cup, for sure. You can't just throw out such an esteemed title as the very best willy nilly without all proving grounds being surpassed. In my opinion, of course.

Does that make him an un-stellar player? Of course not, but you can't make him 'the best' when there's an unanswered asterisk next to that.

Call me crazy but big Champions League and International nights add more weight IMO than Kaning it in the league. It may seem unfair as he did have a decent tally in Europe but when the likes of Messi or Cristiano are knocking out big teams in the CL, they show me more.
World class you must do it at world level. He scored 7 in the CL which is commendable. I still feel he is a good knock out stage/international tourney away........

Screw it, he probably is world class but hasn't had the platform to show it yet.
Yep. It doesn't have to be the Messi's or Ronaldo's though. There are numerous players out there who prove their pedigree when these games come round.

Kane's very young and very wet behind the ears in terms of this level of competition so that's nothing being levelled at him, and certainly on another day things could have been different making this conversation redundant, but, unlike players like Lewandowski, he doesn't have a huge catalogue of elite games to reel off simply due to being a fledgling at this level, which obviously is not his fault.

Last edited:

Gareth williams

Supports
Everton
Why would Kane leave Spurs for Utd. There's not much between the 2 sides. Surely if he goes he's going to look to go a level above you. Real, Barca or City

Also 200m wouldn't buy him. 200 million wouldn't have bought Neymar but for his release clause

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Why would Kane leave Spurs for Utd. There's not much between the 2 sides. Surely if he goes he's going to look to go a level above you. Real, Barca or City

Also 200m wouldn't buy him. 200 million wouldn't have bought Neymar but for his release clause
The difference between Spurs and United is about 200 grand a week in wages. I doubt we'd be in for him anyway, we spend a ton on Lukaku so I doubt we'll be replacing him anytime soon.

Gareth williams

Supports
Everton
The difference between Spurs and United is about 200 grand a week in wages. I doubt we'd be in for him anyway, we spend a ton on Lukaku so I doubt we'll be replacing him anytime soon.

But he can get that elsewhere and go up a couple more levels in terms of team quality.

El Zoido

Hopefully he’s done for the season and will be ready in time for the World Cup.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
It's the same ankle that had him out last season. Hopefully not too bad though as it didn't seem to bend too much, more of an impact injury. Prob a week or two out.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Same injury he suffered last year apparently.