Harry Kane MBE | Performances

Akshay

Staff
Yep. How on earth are people moaning at what he said? He's said nothing wrong.

Some people on here are laughable. Trying to mock Kane for giving an honest interview. He's right. English football's mentality is weak. It's why we flop at every single major tournament.
Yes, the FA Cup account tweeting jokes about footballers is why England fail at tournaments. It's amazing how far people will twist themselves into knots to defend the indefensible. Just admit he was being immature, wouldn't be the first footballer to be that way.

Canagel

It's becoming harder and harder for me to support England at the World Cup with this snowflake leading the line. Seriously what is wrong with him? First he claims a goal that wasn't his and goes to swear on his daughters life. Of course you're going to get bantered. The FA tweet is a bit of banter and nothing major. If he'd seen the funny side of it everyone would've forgotten it by now. And now he's accusing people of having a weak mentality. How stupid can you be?

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Is he still offended? I can't get past his voice though, always cracks me up.

Classical Mechanic

This is only a 'drama' because of Kane's reaction.
He's played the situation poorly overall but this excerpt to finish the interview doesn't really reflect the reaction in this thread. It just seems to me that people are indulging in the small time outrage mentality that he talks about in the article.

Kane added: "The FA tweet was a silly tweet, we all know that. I talked to the gaffer about it and all he was saying was would other countries do that to their own players, probably not.

"It is something that has gone, it was two weeks ago or whatever it was, I am over it. The gaffer [Pochettino] said I was sad, I am focused. I am a guy who gets on with things.

"If it happens, it happens, I move on, I look forward, I look forward to the next game, that's all I worry about, getting out on the pitch and doing my job."

Akshay

Staff
He's played the situation poorly overall but this excerpt to finish the interview doesn't really reflect the reaction in this thread. It just seems to me that people are indulging in the small time outrage mentality that he talks about in the article.

Kane added: "The FA tweet was a silly tweet, we all know that. I talked to the gaffer about it and all he was saying was would other countries do that to their own players, probably not.

"It is something that has gone, it was two weeks ago or whatever it was, I am over it. The gaffer [Pochettino] said I was sad, I am focused. I am a guy who gets on with things.

"If it happens, it happens, I move on, I look forward, I look forward to the next game, that's all I worry about, getting out on the pitch and doing my job."
If that's all he worries about then why did he campaign about the goal and complain to his manager about a tweet? That's the exact opposite of what he claims. I'll judge him by his actions not a couple of sentences of self praise he's thrown in there.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Such a missed opportunity to poke a little fun at himself, engage in some self-deprecating humour, and instantly win over the masses. The sort of thing Peter Crouch would do.

Lj82

I actually read that and think that the tweet really got on his nerves.
It's just a tweet, and he talks about getting over it and moving on from it? Come on.

Wishbone Ash

Only gonna comment on this once.

I'm conflicted in a sense on this. I don't necessarily have an issue with Kane claiming the goal against Stoke on the pitch at that moment, but that should have been as far as it went. Spurs won the match, got the three points and if later that Saturday he saw that all the major broadcasters and writers were still crediting Eriksen with the goal, he should have just shrugged his shoulders and said something alone the lines of, 'Ah well, doesn't matter, we won the game anyway and I've had another very prolific season, it's not like I badly need another goal to my name.'

His choice of words ("I swear on my daughter's life I got a touch, but there's nothing I can do") after the event were ill-considered, and bizarre. The daughter point is such a desperate, unnatural thing to say, and adding "there's nothing I can do" afterwards almost gives the impression that not being awarded the goal would somehow have some bad repercussions for him, when in reality all it would mean is him finishing the season with, say, 28 league goals rather than 29.

Moreover, what the hell were Spurs thinking launching the appeal to have him credited with the goal? If they insisted on this, it should at least have been done privately, which still would have been a rotten trick as its only purpose was to bolster Kane's stats at the direct expense of Eriksen's (if it had been a Stoke own goal they tried to appeal, that MIGHT have been a shade better). But to do it so publicly? Very poor form. Saying 'we're not the Harry Kane team, nobody's bigger than the club etc.' is all well and good, but the way they went about it suggests the complete opposite. Eriksen is a top-class player, vital to the upturn in Spurs' quality these past few seasons, who wouldn't look out of place at just about any club in Europe and earns considerably less playing for Spurs than many players who aren't even in his league. It would be wise not to alienate a player like that in those circumstances, yet Spurs seemed oblivious to it.

It's almost as if, in the mind of Spurs, Kane not winning the golden boot = Kane having a pointless season. It's ridiculous. Even in his peak years, Shearer didn't win it every season. Neither did Henry. Aguero, in terms of consistency and overall contribution, has been the best striker in the country (some would say best player) since arriving in 2011, yet he's only been the outright top scorer once. Kane's had another excellent season with a shed load of goals scored - a measly one extra should NEVER have become such a Crusade for Spurs and their fans, particularly as he was already 4 or 5 goals behind Salah in the race for the golden boot at that point and was unlikely to catch up.

BUT!!!.....

While Kane's own handling of this individual issue has been poor, it doesn't necessarily mean he's wrong on the bigger picture he relates it to. The press in this country ARE a joke, by and large, and do relish in the failure of many English players. The fans get caught up in this as well, and are often oblivious to their hypocrisy. People, in all seriousness, are telling Kane on this forum to stop making such a big thing of the Tweet, that it should just be brushed off etc. Now that's fine in and of itself - yet the same people, many of them presumably English and, you'd hope, wanting the national side to excel, are there saying that because of this small issue which Kane is over-blowing, they WANT him to fail badly at the World Cup, and can't wait for the media to stick the knife in when he does.

Which is it, fellas? Not a big thing which Kane needs to get over, or big enough to make him deserving of unrelenting ridicule for the rest of his days and for you to actively want England to fail just so you can lord it over someone you'll never meet? Look how personal and non-football-related some of the statements about Kane have become in this thread, as an example. Look at how so much supposition is suddenly passed off as 'fact' (nobody is saying that we'd win every tournament if the press and fans were nicer before anyone starts). Kane and Spurs deserve some criticism in this instance, but he does have a point when he talks about the larger culture of the press when it comes to coverage of many of our players.

But hey, he plays for a team which isn't Man United, so he's a snowflake, thick, couldn't hack it at a bigger club, deserves to fail, probably demanded that Spurs launch the appeal of he'll leave blah blah blah.

Reactions: KM

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
"They're the ones with weak mentality and not me, I'm a winner, I'm always focused and.. and..." Harry Kane said as tears fell down his face.

They ask you how you are and you say that you're fine and you're not really fine but you just can't get into it because they would never understand

Fecking drama queen.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Such a missed opportunity to poke a little fun at himself, engage in some self-deprecating humour, and instantly win over the masses. The sort of thing Peter Crouch would do.
Exactly. Talk about fanning the flames, the tit. A sense of humour is a much underrated quality in the armoury of the modern footballer.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
It is though, this is a veritable storm in a tea cup. There's nothing in the article. He's asked about the incident, talks about it and seeks to draw a line under it.
Outrage though? If you are going to try to take the high ground, don't do the very thing you are trying to defend against. You are making the response a storm in a tea cup. People have found this funny and it's been mostly in good humour, you are now blowing the reaction to it out of all proportions by acting like it's the usual twitter witch hunt.

The fact he's gone down in some people's estimations isn't outrage, it's just showing we don't like people who can't take a joke and laugh at themselves when they've made a fool of themselves. And let's not forget, Harry Kane made all this happen and continues to keep it going.

It really isn't. No one is outraged. He's just being mocked for being a thin skinned pansy.
Well, this sums it up quicker than I did.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
His language doesn't even make sense. How does mocking a player equation to a weak mentality?
The whole episode and the way his manager is even complaining imo, gives a window into why they have failed and will fail at the final hurdle.
How can a player who deems a tweet important enough to discuss with his manager,handle a high pressure situation?

Classical Mechanic

Outrage though? If you are going to try to take the high ground, don't do the very thing you are trying to defend against. You are making the response a storm in a tea cup. People have found this funny and it's been mostly in good humour, you are now blowing the reaction to it out of all proportions by acting like it's the usual twitter witch hunt.

The fact he's gone down in some people's estimations isn't outrage, it's just showing we don't like people who can't take a joke and laugh at themselves when they've made a fool of themselves. And let's not forget, Harry Kane made all this happen and continues to keep it going.
The ghost goal was regrettable no doubt and he could have played the situation since then a lot better. I don't see anything in that article though, if anything he's looking to draw a line under it and move on.

Redlambs

So for a start, we agree that you were wrong to use the term "outrage mentality" here? Because there's enough of that going on without the need to push it in places it doesn't belong.

The ghost goal was regrettable no doubt and he could have played the situation since then a lot better. I don't see anything in that article though, if anything he's looking to draw a line under it and move on.
By saying the mentality is weak? Yeah, that's a brilliant way to do it. Give more headlines and appear even weaker yourself.

This is the thing, he has shown most weakness over the whole episode yet then proceeds to call everyone else weak around the national team. He's alienating the fans and the media and will regret it even more. Now do I care or am I "outraged" by that? No of course not, I couldn't give a feck. But if you ask me if I continue to find this funny and hope the memes and all that go on, then my answer is: why not? He's made a right pillock of himself from start to finish and a laugh at his expense is fine by me. Now if it got any more than that, then of course I'd be against it as I am against all twitter crusades that can do serious damage, but that's not what is actually happening here and as far as I care he deserves some stick thrown in his direction.

GeorgieBoy

Definitely needs a better PR team around him. Just keeps digging that hole and is looking silly now.
On the flip side, and playing devil's advocate, its easy for us to sit behind our keyboards and call him sensitive and soft. But its not like the last couple of weeks have been the extent of the banter he's been subject to. There's a post every other week on Twitter/Facebook rinsing him for the rather ridiculous way he speaks, some not the best natured either. I imagine the last few weeks may have tipped him over the edge.

crossy1686

career ending
So what's going to happen in the summer if Kane plays a shocker and the media lay into England? Are they going to leave Kane out and bash the rest of the team? What a divide that is going to create in the dressing room.

Or will the media be allowed to give him shit as long as they apologise afterwards? This is the absolute definition of making a mountain out of a molehill. Some seriously bad decisions been made by the Kane camp.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
The swing in sentiment towards Kane has been stark. I think for the majority of people they looked at Kane and either quite liked him or were certainly ambivalent at worst. But now, it's completely changed. Not just talking about on this forum, but just in general terms. The media hasn't helped (they never fecking do) but he's obviously still talking about it. Of course he was asked, i get that, but it just adds fuel to the fire.

Certain journalists coming out and acting like embarrassing dads don't help. Saying "we still love you harry" and "don't listen to them harry" just amplifies the whole thing. I just can't believe how this has all blown up. One innocuous thing after another, and now he's going to be stuck with this for some time.

Funny as feck, mind you.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Am I the only one that really doesn't see the whole fuss surrounding this?

That includes the goal appeal, the FA's Tweet, jokes, his response etc.

Just seems all a bit...meh, whatever. Surprised it's still dragging on.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

This thread was dead until his latest comments.

Redlambs

Ask Harry Kane himself. He's the one who both caused the "fuss" and is making it drag on.

The rest of us are just laughing at it all.

SER19

What is actually going through his head? The fact he even acknowledged a tweets existence is absolutely absurd let alone spoke to his manager and now is still going on about it and using it as some sort of example of the mentality of English football.

Somebody needs to have a strong word.

jem

Yep. How on earth are people moaning at what he said? He's said nothing wrong.

Some people on here are laughable. Trying to mock Kane for giving an honest interview. He's right. English football's mentality is weak. It's why we flop at every single major tournament.
You're right, and Kane has done everything he can to make himself the poster boy for that weak mentality, and the World Cup hasn't even started yet. Just imagine how he'd handle playing for a team that was actually expected to win things, like Madrid or United (not one that is appreciated in a somewhat patronizing way just for playing attractive football.)

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Harry Kane: I'm over it.

Yeah, right...

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Imagine how he'd react if he shat himself on the pitch like Gary Lineker?