g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Harry Kane | Real willing to prepare world-record £200m bid [The Times]

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberman

Rooney was seen as much more than a goalscorer, his ability to play in multiple positions at a high level coupled with being Utd and Englands greatest ever goalscorer places him at a higher level than Kane is currently at.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Rooney was seen as much more than a goalscorer, his ability to play in multiple positions at a high level coupled with being Utd and Englands greatest ever goalscorer places him at a higher level than Kane is currently at.
Can't argue with that at all, but I think his willingness to play in so many positions probably to the detriment of his goal scoring.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Of course, let's be honest it's feasible. Isn't it, although Levy will be like £200 Miill and Lukaku :confused:

In 2020/2021 would anyone do this deal? If theoretically Lukaku stagnates and Kane continues (No Brainer right)
Sorry, I was just amused by you writing "intensive purposes". The phrase is supposed to be "for all intents and purposes" ;)

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Wayne Rooney Stats for United in PL:
Apps: 393
Minutes: 31,705
Goals: 183
Assists: 108
Goal every 173mins
Goal or Assist every 109mins

Harry Kane Stats for Tottenham in PL:
Apps: 138
Minutes: 11,128
Goals: 100
Assists: 16
Goal every 111mins
Goal or Assist every 96mins

Stats taken from Transfermarkt

Kanes no doubt a better goal scorer as proven by the fact he's scored 20+ goals 4 seasons in a row in the PL. Rooneys only managed 20+ goals in the PL twice in his entire career. But when you take into account assists then Kane and Rooney isn't too far apart. Kane should already be viewed as one of the best strikers to ever grace the PL given his stats, only 2 other players have managed 20+ goals 4 seasons in a row. That's how rare it is. I think Rooney will be remembered as a player who had the potential to be truly one of the best in his generation across Europe but ultimately didn't quite reach that. We'll see if Kane can do it.
Rooney scored 30+ goals for us the only two seasons he was really used as our main striker. I firmly believe that if Rooney had more seasons like 09/10 where he was the main man and relatively injury fee then he could've had plenty of 20+ goal seasons for us. That was the beauty of Rooney though, he could play anywhere and still be very effective. It was also to his detriment because he was often shunted to the left or behind in order to accommodate the likes of Ronaldo and RvP. I mean, he had his highest goal scoring season for us (34 goals) in 11/12 and then SAF went and bought RvP and threw him behind him again.

Rooney will rightly go down as a PL great and one of the best forwards of his generation and I think Kane still has a lot to prove to be considered his equal.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Rooney scored 30+ goals for us the only two seasons he was really used as our main striker. I firmly believe that if Rooney had more seasons like 09/10 where he was the main man and relatively injury fee then he could've had plenty of 20+ goal seasons for us. That was the beauty of Rooney though, he could play anywhere and still be very effective. It was also to his detriment because he was often shunted to the left or behind in order to accommodate the likes of Ronaldo and RvP. I mean, he had his highest goal scoring season for us (34 goals) in 11/12 and then SAF went and bought RvP and threw him behind him again.

Rooney will rightly go down as a PL great and one of the best forwards of his generation and I think Kane still has a lot to prove to be considered his equal.
He needed to be more selfish and demand to be our leading striker, I said as much when he was at the club. He tried to overplay when in the hole way too often and near the end of his career here became a laibility. Despite being Englands leading goalscorer he was mediocre in all international tournament he played in except the first one he was involved in. Shame as I remember he kept returning from injury too fast to play in them and given our shite options was forced to play while a decent Manager would have kept him back for the knock outs. I'll always remember Rooney as a brilliant player, but one who never reached his true potential.

Kanes going to be remembered as one of the best strikers in PL History though, his stats and records already point that way. Superb player and we've not even seem him at his peak, hopefully he brings his A game to the World Cup this year.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
He needed to be more selfish and demand to be our leading striker, I said as much when he was at the club. He tried to overplay when in the hole way too often and near the end of his career here became a laibility. Despite being Englands leading goalscorer he was mediocre in all international tournament he played in except the first one he was involved in. Shame as I remember he kept returning from injury too fast to play in them and given our shite options was forced to play while a decent Manager would have kept him back for the knock outs. I'll always remember Rooney as a brilliant player, but one who never reached his true potential.

Kanes going to be remembered as one of the best strikers in PL History though, his stats and records already point that way. Superb player and we've not even seem him at his peak, hopefully he brings his A game to the World Cup this year.
Hopefully he doesn't :D

Kane certainly has the potential to be an all time great, no doubt.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
I just hope Spurs can find a way to pay him right. He should be getting at least what Sanchez makes.

James Peril

If Spurs win a trophy this year, he stays. If they finish in the top 4, he stays. If they don’t - and Spurs have been outside of it the entire season, chances are he will bugger off. He is on fire, he would hate going back to the Europe League. Next year he will play in a much smaller stadium compared to the one he plays at now, so that’s not going to be an important factor.

I think they will finish in the top four though, but they’ll of course never win a trophy.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Madrid might go for a new striker this season itself. I do not see any reason why they will wait, they will certainly push for Kane this summer.
They will only push if they here form Kane’s agent he is interested no way would Perez be publicly humiliated by being rejected by Kane. So far there has been no mind games from them and believe me it would have started by now if they thought Kane would move, it’s a World Cup summer which means even less time to get a deal done. Harry will be at the New White Hart Lane, it’s time people actually started listening to what the guy has been saying for the last 2 years.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
If Spurs win a trophy this year, he stays. If they finish in the top 4, he stays. If they don’t - and Spurs have been outside of it the entire season, chances are he will bugger off. He is on fire, he would hate going back to the Europe League. Next year he will play in a much smaller stadium compared to the one he plays at now, so that’s not going to be an important factor.

I think they will finish in the top four though, but they’ll of course never win a trophy.
While I agree for any regular player, playing at a new stadium may not be a big deal, but to a boyhood fan it’s a pretty big deal, going down in the clubs history, the size isn’t really that important, I don’t see why this is so hard for fans to grasp. I mean if United changed to a new stadium you guys wouldn’t be excited in the slightest?

spud u like

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

And why would that be? Still in the FA cup, Champions League and challenging for a top 4 finish. Isn't that exactly the same as Man Utd?

Glanville95

I’d be immensely surprised if anyone (Madrid) manages to pride him away this summer, no matter what happens. Whether Spurs win a cup, just get top four or even finish outside. Levy will just play hardball and Kane’s not going to dig his feet in for a move away yet. Poch leaving would probably be the biggest factor in Kane staying or going.

edgar allan

He is an excellent forward but he is not worth anything like the transfer fee suggested. I would however be happy with another player swop for Lukaku if that could be organised please!

El Pasillo

Rooney wasn't good enough to become the unquestionable focal point instead of being played out of position to accommodate better players.

To be honest, I think Harry Kane seems to be a better player than Rooney ever was.

You're correct though that Rooney has a bigger legacy (for now).

But unless if he gets long-term injuries and/or leaving England, I'm sure Kane will end up as England & EPL's all-time top scorer before hanging up his boots.

Kane is really that fecking great and is the best striker since Thierry Henry's golden days.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Rooney wasn't good enough to become the unquestionable focal point instead of being played out of position to accommodate better players.

To be honest, I think Harry Kane seems to be a better player than Rooney ever was.

But unless if he gets long-term injuries and/or leaving England, I'm sure Kane will end up as England & EPL's all-time top scorer before hanging up his boots.

Kane is really that fecking great and is the best striker since Thierry Henry's golden days.
Kane is a product of sheer hard work and determination, while Rooney was sheer natural talent. Imagine if Rooney had the work ethic of Kane?

El Pasillo

Kane is a product of sheer hard work and determination, while Rooney was sheer natural talent. Imagine if Rooney had the work ethic of Kane?
Dunno. If that was the case, they why haven't we seen plethoras of strikers delivering same numbers as Kane?

It's like when people says CR7 is just a training product, which is obviously wrong af.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

FFS will the shite I read on this forum never end?

So far Kane has achieved more or less feck all in his career, Kane's what 24/25? When Rooney was that age he'd delivered for England at a major tournament (Euro 2004) and he'd won a couple of league titles and the Champions League at Manchester United

The only thing at 24 Kane is better than Rooney was at that age is putting the ball in the back of the net and being an out and out goal scorer was never what Rooney was all about

Let's see Kane actually achieve something before we say he's better than a premier league great like Wayne Rooney ever was

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Dunno. If that was the case, they why haven't we seen plethoras of strikers delivering same numbers as Kane?

It's like when people says CR7 is just a training product, which is obviously wrong af.
No I meant it more their early career, Kane could easily have been lost, loan deal, after loan deal, had to keep going. Ronaldo and Rooney were prodigy’s, wonder kids. Of course Kane has a natural talent but he didn’t show it early on.

El Pasillo

So far Kane has achieved more or less feck all in his career, Kane's what 24/25? When Rooney was that age he'd delivered for England at a major tournament (Euro 2004) and he'd won a couple of league titles and the Champions League at Manchester United

The only thing at 24 Kane is better than Rooney was at that age is putting the ball in the back of the net and being an out and out goal scorer was never what Rooney was all about

Let's see Kane actually achieve something before we say he's better than a premier league great like Wayne Rooney ever was
Reducing Kane as just a goalscorer is pretty much laughable, his all-round package is phenomenal.

Was arguably the best player against Manchester United despite not showing up on LiveScore.

To be fair, it's not Kane's fault that he's playing in a team that aren't the biggest favorites to win EPL & Champions League.

If Rooney (from his younger days) played for Totteham, he would've achieved more or less feck all in term of trophies.

No I meant it more their early career, Kane could easily have been lost, loan deal, after loan deal, had to keep going. Ronaldo and Rooney were prodigy’s, wonder kids. Of course Kane has a natural talent but he didn’t show it early on.
Well, neither Cristiano wasn't really regarded as a generational talent if we're being honest here.

Both him and Kane were great young talented lads who improved by the time (like the majority of players).

charlenefan

Reducing Kane as just a goalscorer is pretty much laughable, his all-round package is phenomenal.

Was arguably the best player against Manchester United despite not showing up on LiveScore.

To be fair, it's not Kane's fault that he's playing in a team that aren't the biggest favorites to win EPL & Champions League.

If Rooney (from his younger days) played for Totteham, he would've achieved more or less feck all in term of trophies.
I don't even know what the highlighted sentence means but regardless what relevance does Kane being the best player against us have to do with him being better than Rooney ever was? Shelvey was good for Newcastle yesterday I guess that means he's better than Paul Scholes?

Seriously is there a joke going on that I'm not aware of? Like a prize for who can post the most ludicrous pile of shite?

El Pasillo

I don't even know what the highlighted sentence means
You claimed that Kane is only good at putting the ball in the back of the net & I used Spurs-United game to counter that narrative.

Anyway, nooone has ever denied that Rooney's legacy is better than Kane (for now):

charlenefan

You claimed that Kane is only good at putting the ball in the back of the net & I used Spurs-United game to counter that narrative.
Reading as well as writing isn't your strong point is it, well along with understanding football

I said the only thing Kane is better than a 24 year old Rooney was is scoring goals, I didn't say anything about Kane's individual attributes

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

Well, neither Cristiano wasn't really regarded as a generational talent if we're being honest here.

Both him and Kane were great young talented lads who improved by the time (like the majority of players).
You don’t think Ronaldo was a wonder kid? I think you don’t know what your on about! I still remember his first game against Bolton.

Jonno

THIS. Great post.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Kane is not fit to lace Rooney's boots. What some don't seem to understand about Rooney is that he went to one of the biggest clubs in the world as a teenager and fit right in.

Wayne Rooney's mentality and hunger on the pitch is what made him the player he was; and he was a seriously gifted footballer.

It is admirable that Kane wants to stay at Tottenham; but if he stays at Tottenham and wins no trophies then he will never be considered at the same level as Rooney. If Kane moves to Madrid and leads them to major trophies then his stock will go up massively; because it is much more difficult performing for a massive club like Madrid. At Spurs, there is much less pressure.

manutddjw

Not sure how I feel about this. I hate Real Madrid with a passion, but Tottenham fans have become so undeservedly arrogant that I kind of want them to be taken down a peg. Losing Harry Kane would definitely harm them and put them back in their place.

Wish we could get him though. Great player and the striker we need.

el3mel

When did you start watching Rooney playing ?

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Not sure how I feel about this. I hate Real Madrid with a passion, but Tottenham fans have become so undeservedly arrogant that I kind of want them to be taken down a peg. Losing Harry Kane would definitely harm them and put them back in their place.

Wish we could get him though. Great player and the striker we need.
This is why some fans of other clubs say they feel United fans are so entitled to success. Do you actually feel there is an order of where clubs 'should' finish, and if a club start punching above their weight by getting lucky/doing well by developing a team that challenge this you hope that clubs backed by countries take their best players? I reckon you enjoyed PSG buying Mbappe as well, that did wonders for the French league. Where would City's place be? Or is their rise okay since they spend so much money?

I'm sure some Spurs fans are arrogant, some football fans are absolutely unbearable. But if this is because some fans are starting to talk about Spurs being equal to United (which they are based recent years performances, and first team quality imo, although far behind in commercial success, history and club size) then I have little sympathy.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Harry Kane is a world class player, no doubt.

In defense of Wayne Rooney in this thread (and I’m not seeking a battle against Kane!)

Rooney was a world class player too, bought as a teenager, made his debut in the champions league and scored a hat trick! All superb goals too

Not only is he United’s record goal scorer, he was also the ultimate team player often being tactically sacrificed from his favorite positions to play left, midfield etc. that did him no favors but he did it without complaint. He forged trophy winning partnerships with ever changing strike partners.

Injuries caught up with him, he actually had a broken foot when he joined us!

People are quick to remember the bad bits at the end but they really should remember that he was a phenomenal player, world class as a teenager and later at his peak

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

Cristiano was certainly considered as a wonder kid and a generational talent. After a season or so with us there started to be a few questions raised over whether he would ever go on to reach his potential, but the potential itself was never in doubt. Of course nobody ever saw his career going the way it has, as people saw him developing into perhaps a Ronaldinho style of player rather than going down as one of the greatest goal scorers of all time.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Exactly. Maybe these guys never watched Rooney play before and thought post SAF Rooney was same as Rooney before 2010.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Harry Kane is a world class player, no doubt.

In defense of Wayne Rooney in this thread (and I’m not seeking a battle against Kane!)

Rooney was a world class player too, bought as a teenager, made his debut in the champions league and scored a hat trick! All superb goals too

Not only is he United’s record goal scorer, he was also the ultimate team player often being tactically sacrificed from his favorite positions to play left, midfield etc. that did him no favors but he did it without complaint. He forged trophy winning partnerships with ever changing strike partners.

Injuries caught up with him, he actually had a broken foot when he joined us!

People are quick to remember the bad bits at the end but they really should remember that he was a phenomenal player, world class as a teenager and later at his peak
Rooney was amazing, and although he did decline early and probably could have been playing at United still if he took better care of himself, that doesn't take away from the player he was.

So 5 Harry Kane's would cost 1 billion. :houllier:
We need to clone him asap, Harry Kane-Peters!

Status
Not open for further replies.