Harry Kane | Real willing to prepare world-record £200m bid [The Times]

Status
Not open for further replies.

KYcinco

He's a better striker than Rooney.

Its all good talking about Rooney(18?) at Euro 04, but he hasn't done anything since(on the international stage)

Newman123

Supports
Arsenal
Wayne was better technically than Kane is right now. I never get the feeling that Kane could make something happen on his own and that mostly he relies on service from his teammates but he's a great poacher in and around the box.

Kane will score lots of goals but for me he isn't the best PL striker to play. When you think about great strikers you think of someone like prime Suarez who could turn the game himself and do everything.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout

Its all good talking about Rooney(18?) at Euro 04, but he hasn't done anything since(on the international stage)
Yeah, this is when we have to ignore everything he did at Club level since 2004.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

And Kane has done nothing on the international stage

Murray3007

I sometimes wonder if people even watch Kane with the shite thats written here, Kane needs service and cant make things happen on his own? maybe you should take time and watch his goals back you will be very surprised. if there is even a hint of a chance he is for sale we should be up spending whatever it takes to get him. hes far superier to Lukkaku in every aspect. as for the international stage how many players in world football are actually great on the international stage ? most of the time at the WC and euro's the big players are pretty poor,

Stacks

Wayne Rooney Stats for United in PL:
Apps: 393
Minutes: 31,705
Goals: 183
Assists: 108
Goal every 173mins
Goal or Assist every 109mins

Harry Kane Stats for Tottenham in PL:
Apps: 138
Minutes: 11,128
Goals: 100
Assists: 16
Goal every 111mins
Goal or Assist every 96mins

Stats taken from Transfermarkt

Kanes no doubt a better goal scorer as proven by the fact he's scored 20+ goals 4 seasons in a row in the PL. Rooneys only managed 20+ goals in the PL twice in his entire career. But when you take into account assists then Kane and Rooney isn't too far apart. Kane should already be viewed as one of the best strikers to ever grace the PL given his stats, only 2 other players have managed 20+ goals 4 seasons in a row. That's how rare it is. I think Rooney will be remembered as a player who had the potential to be truly one of the best in his generation across Europe but ultimately didn't quite reach that. We'll see if Kane can do it.
In 2009/11, were there any other better strikers bar maybe Villa?

Rooney was seen as much more than a goalscorer, his ability to play in multiple positions at a high level coupled with being Utd and Englands greatest ever goalscorer places him at a higher level than Kane is currently at.
I agree.
Rooney scored 30+ goals for us the only two seasons he was really used as our main striker. I firmly believe that if Rooney had more seasons like 09/10 where he was the main man and relatively injury fee then he could've had plenty of 20+ goal seasons for us. That was the beauty of Rooney though, he could play anywhere and still be very effective. It was also to his detriment because he was often shunted to the left or behind in order to accommodate the likes of Ronaldo and RvP. I mean, he had his highest goal scoring season for us (34 goals) in 11/12 and then SAF went and bought RvP and threw him behind him again.

Rooney will rightly go down as a PL great and one of the best forwards of his generation and I think Kane still has a lot to prove to be considered his equal.
Yes he is. Kane may also though.

He needed to be more selfish and demand to be our leading striker, I said as much when he was at the club. He tried to overplay when in the hole way too often and near the end of his career here became a laibility. Despite being Englands leading goalscorer he was mediocre in all international tournament he played in except the first one he was involved in. Shame as I remember he kept returning from injury too fast to play in them and given our shite options was forced to play while a decent Manager would have kept him back for the knock outs. I'll always remember Rooney as a brilliant player, but one who never reached his true potential.

Kanes going to be remembered as one of the best strikers in PL History though, his stats and records already point that way. Superb player and we've not even seem him at his peak, hopefully he brings his A game to the World Cup this year.
So does Rooney's. Who doesn't remember Rooney as one of the best strikers in prem history? he is one of the leading scorers, assisted and title winners.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
So does Rooney's. Who doesn't remember Rooney as one of the best strikers in prem history? he is one of the leading scorers, assisted and title winners.
I'll remember him as a great forward but not a top class finisher as a Shearer, Henry, Ruud or Aguero. Terrific player, but not the best striker. No harm in admitting that, a player of his quality, playing for a club that dominated the league should be scoring more goals than he managed. Mediocre performances in International tournaments also didn't help. You can disagree, that's what football is all about.

roonster09

Scout
I'll remember him as a great forward but not a top class finisher as a Shearer, Henry, Ruud or Aguero. Terrific player, but not the best striker. No harm in admitting that, a player of his quality, playing for a club that dominated the league should be scoring more goals than he managed. Mediocre performances in International tournaments also didn't help. You can disagree, that's what football is all about.
Reducing Rooney to just goals is very wrong. I don't think anyone uses Bergkamp or Drogba's goal scoring record against them, they are much more than just a goal scoring attackers.

KYcinco

Rooney's premier league end of season tally isnt even that impressive compared to past Prem strikers.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Rooney's premier league end of season tally isnt even that impressive compared to past Prem strikers.
Often played anywhere other than as a striker probably doesn't help that

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
The Rooney talk is derailing this thread a little bit - both quite different players - Kane is an out and out striker - Rooney wasn't. Rooney was incredible and rightly will go down as a premier league and Utd all time great. Kane is 24 and has a long way to go in his career but on the basis of what he has been doing in the last few seasons he could easily also become an all time premiership and (I hope) a Spurs legend.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Reducing Rooney to just goals is very wrong. I don't think anyone uses Bergkamp or Drogba's goal scoring record against them, they are much more than just a goal scoring attackers.
I'm talking about pure strikers though. People bang on about Rooney being a brilliant Striker but that's just not right. He was one of the best Forwards, but a Striker is leading the line and he was never good at that, missed too many chances. Terrific forward in his prime though.

Feel free to take this to a different thread and we'll discuss it there as @balaks is right, this is off topic.

James Peril

And why would that be? Still in the FA cup, Champions League and challenging for a top 4 finish. Isn't that exactly the same as Man Utd?
We won two trophies last season, we don’t need to prove ourselves in that department. When you sign for United, you know that trophies are natural just like with Real Madrid - even though blank seasons happen for sure. It most likely will happen this year for us as well, neither Spurs or United will have any chance in the Champions League. The FA Cup is up for grabs though, even though City will be huge favorites in any game.

NK86

Better out and out striker. Possibly.
Better player - not yet.

roonster09

Scout
I'm talking about pure strikers though. People bang on about Rooney being a brilliant Striker but that's just not right. He was one of the best Forwards, but a Striker is leading the line and he was never good at that, missed too many chances. Terrific forward in his prime though.

Feel free to take this to a different thread and we'll discuss it there as @balaks is right, this is off topic.
Well if we are talking about pure strikers then Rooney's name shouldn't even be mentioned. Only time where he played as #9 was in 2009-10 season.

Yeah, I'm done anyways,

Classical Mechanic

Kane has 7 goals in 8 games against Arsenal in the league which is impressive. It was interesting to read that detailed interview with him which portrayed Arsenal dropping him as a kid as being the defining moment in his life probably.

He's always been out to prove that rejection wrong and Arsenal continue to suffer from it.

goin4glory

He's 24 and already top 3 strikers in the world. Sell Lukaku for 50m and just give spurs the 150-200 and have a 20+ goal striker for the next 7/8 years.

unitedforeveral

Wayne was better technically than Kane is right now. I never get the feeling that Kane could make something happen on his own and that mostly he relies on service from his teammates but he's a great poacher in and around the box.

Kane will score lots of goals but for me he isn't the best PL striker to play. When you think about great strikers you think of someone like prime Suarez who could turn the game himself and do everything.
You must be crazy if you think Kane is not technically gifted or can't make his own goals. Kane's hold-up play, running between the lines and distraction of defenders is brilliant and probably unmatched by a PL striker in the last couple of years. Chelsea tried Costa, Morata, Giroud. Arsenal tried Lacazette, Sanchez, Giroud and even Welbeck. City tried Aguero, Iheanacho, Jesus. United(we) tried Zlatan,Lukaku, Rashford and even Martial in front. Liverpool have been very unlucky with number 9's. I guess Kane is the only striker with a totality in his game and if Real Madrid manage to rope him, it'll the best transfer in terms of goals and consistency.

Number1

Can't wait for him to smash through Juventus tonight, no doubt we'll be seeing pictures like this:-

After the game.

Last edited:

Stacks

FFS will the shite I read on this forum never end?

So far Kane has achieved more or less feck all in his career, Kane's what 24/25? When Rooney was that age he'd delivered for England at a major tournament (Euro 2004) and he'd won a couple of league titles and the Champions League at Manchester United

The only thing at 24 Kane is better than Rooney was at that age is putting the ball in the back of the net and being an out and out goal scorer was never what Rooney was all about

Let's see Kane actually achieve something before we say he's better than a premier league great like Wayne Rooney ever was
enough said.

Reducing Kane as just a goalscorer is pretty much laughable, his all-round package is phenomenal.

Was arguably the best player against Manchester United despite not showing up on LiveScore.

To be fair, it's not Kane's fault that he's playing in a team that aren't the biggest favorites to win EPL & Champions League.

If Rooney (from his younger days) played for Totteham, he would've achieved more or less feck all in term of trophies.

Well, neither Cristiano wasn't really regarded as a generational talent if we're being honest here.

Both him and Kane were great young talented lads who improved by the time (like the majority of players).
Kane doesn't register many assists for teammates, nor create many chances (26 in EPL this year, 41 last season) despite being a striker so his all round game is a bit exaggerated. Suarez scored 33 goals in his final season and created 87 chances for teamates. Thierry Henry was another one. Robin Van Persie scored 26 and created 71 chances. He is pretty much a sharp shooter, but there have been strikers who can score and create, mostly foreign, bar Rooney.

Exactly. Maybe these guys never watched Rooney play before and thought post SAF Rooney was same as Rooney before 2010.
Rooney in his youth days was pretty much like Mbappe. This guys must've missed him.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.

Rooney was a complete monster. Kane is not at that level but if he continues with this till he's 28-29 he will be in that league

reddaz71

I have never quite forgiven Ferguson for passing over on a guy called Aguero when he was at Atletico Madrid.

head and shoulders above any striker in the EPL the last 5 years including Harry Kane!

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff

Rooney's Euro 04 was probably as good as any performance from a teenager at a major international tournament (outside of Pele in 1958 and those types). Kane has yet to do anything remotely as impressive.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...ate-oneclub-man-francesco-totti-a3765546.html

On Totti...

“He was a fantastic player and to spend your career at one club is an amazing achievement,” said the 24-year-old. “He achieved everything he wanted to at that club. He is a fantastic striker and, growing up, I would watch his goals. He had a brilliant career and, hopefully, I can have the same.”

Honestly think he will give us 2 more seasons at least to see how were going as a club.

SPURSY85

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Not sure how I feel about this. I hate Real Madrid with a passion, but Tottenham fans have become so undeservedly arrogant that I kind of want them to be taken down a peg. Losing Harry Kane would definitely harm them and put them back in their place.

Wish we could get him though. Great player and the striker we need.
"Undeservedly arrogant" followed by "back in their place" hmm. Maybe some would deem that a bit arrogant that for some reason we don't deserve to be where we are. Don't be so entitled.

Last edited by a moderator:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
12 in 23 is pretty decent, England will never do anything at International level until they appoint a decent manager ad totally change the setup.
I agree but the other guy was talking about at the euros. We have yet to see Kane in that kind of tournament

I really don’t get why some people are turning this into a Kane versus Rooney thread. Rooney had a brilliant career, Kane is just starting his trajectory

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Big test for Kane. Shines here and world is his oyster.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football

Rooney went into how many tournaments off the back of an injury?...

That said we should be in for Kane but financially it's complicated

KYcinco

Rooney went into how many tournaments off the back of an injury?...

That said we should be in for Kane but financially it's complicated
He didnt perform, simple as.

Just like Kane didnt perform on his last trip( int duty) , anyway, as I said , when it comes to being a striker Kane is better than rooney .

Trizy

He's 24 and already top 3 strikers in the world. Sell Lukaku for 50m and just give spurs the 150-200 and have a 20+ goal striker for the next 7/8 years.
He's the no.1 striker in the world for the past year.

I agree with the Lukaku/Kane part.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Why in the world should we spend 150-200 on Kane when we have far more pressing matters in midfield and defense? It would be insane to spend that amount on one position for which you already have a more than decent player without first fixing our more clear weaknesses in other areas of the pitch.

Fine he is one the best strikers in the world, but we already have one of the best midfielders and one of the best wingers to supplement our good striker. No need to throw money in that area, central midfield, right back and center back is where we need more quality urgently.

Status
Not open for further replies.