Harry Kane

Status
Not open for further replies.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Let's wait to see if he's had a Kevin Phillips season or if this is a permanent step up from him first, hey.

Devil may care

He's just doing now what he did in the youth teams. He's not fully developed of course but if he 'did' it next season what would his value be? Priceless to Spurs. Some just don't want us to spend any fecking money lol. The Glazers are clearly posting here.
I think the biggest concern over any striker we buy for big money is that will mean Rooney in midfield.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
That shouldn't happen next season though. We know LVG likes his stats. I'm sure he will notice a dip in ours and Rooneys form when he's in midfield. We can't worry about these things though. One is a youngster and the other is in his peak years. The point is though, he's better then Ings and will continue to score goals.

Striker10

Let's wait to see if he's had a Kevin Phillips season or if this is a permanent step up from him first, hey.
That's a super idea and add 30 million to his value in the process, hey.

Mainoldo

But yet everyone wants Lascazzte or however you spell his name after.... Yes 1 good season.

His got talent and coming here will only be a good thing for him. How he improves is up to him.

Jacob

Don't think he is good enough or price worthy, but like the fact that he is English.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
But yet everyone wants Lascazzte or however you spell his name after.... Yes 1 good season.

His got talent and coming here will only be a good thing for him. How he improves is up to him.
Very different players.. And he hasnt had just one good season, he was an AM, inside forward, this is his first year properly up top, Lacazette made his debut 4 years ago and has been regular for last 3 seasons

dasty

He scored 22 goals last season, 31 this. Hardly a one season wonder.

Jaxa

I would be extremely pissed of if we signed this guy considering we have a young exciting striker in our ranks straight from the academy who deserves a chance,
Wilson has showed it in the under 21's and even at first team level, he just needs a run of a few games and Im convinced this guy is going to be a superstar for us.

FC Ronaldo

That's a super idea and add 30 million to his value in the process, hey.
So be it. I think everyone would rather us invest higher sums in a proven scorer than a 1 season wonder and be disappointed at trying to backtrack from our very own Carroll or Torres situation.

Not many are complaining at the figures banded around for Bale or Ronaldo by the press for instance.

For what it's worth, I can see Kane coming good again next year, probably to a lesser extent than this year but I can see potential in the lad. Certainly more than I saw in us buying Berba from them - partly because his style is suited more. Still wouldn't entertain buying him yet though.

Mainoldo

Very different players.. And he hasnt had just one good season, he was an AM, inside forward, this is his first year properly up top, Lacazette made his debut 4 years ago and has been regular for last 3 seasons
I was talking about his strike return. Add to the fact yes this is his first real season upfront!

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Thats a good point.
It demonstrates that there will be an element of risk involved.
One way to get around this is to wait to see how he does in the first half of next season. If he continues to be prolific, pay £50M in January.

I have stated this in another thread: to win the title you need 1 player to weigh in with about 20 (or more) goals. This year Costa. Last year Aguero, Year before, RVP. etc.

Lets go through our strikers:
Falcao (he wont be here next year)
Wilson (young, but perennially injured and cant score 20)
Rooney (plays many games but cant score 20)
RVP (plays few games and cant score 20)

Right now, we dont have a player who can score 20 goals per season, which means that winning the title next year will be against the norm.
Some may argue that Bale could score 20 for us (in his last year he scored 21 for Spurs), so perhaps if we get Bale, we wont need Kane.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I would be extremely pissed of if we signed this guy considering we have a young exciting striker in our ranks straight from the academy who deserves a chance,
Wilson has showed it in the under 21's and even at first team level, he just needs a run of a few games and Im convinced this guy is going to be a superstar for us.
I do agree with this. I don't think Kane would leave anyway, he looks very happy being the main man at Spurs.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
So be it. I think everyone would rather us invest higher sums in a proven scorer than a 1 season wonder and be disappointed at trying to backtrack from our very own Carroll or Torres situation.
LOL. Yes, I agree with this.
But, I'd like to remind you that we have Falcao - isn't he our version of Torres?

Mainoldo

He scored 22 goals last season, 31 this. Hardly a one season wonder.
15 league goals last year. 37 starts. Kane had 10 and got 3 so I don't see how this is any different in all honesty. The guy would still be as much of a risk as Kane but yet Kane is destined to be a one season wonder.

Shark

@NotShark

Not many are complaining at the figures banded around for Bale or Ronaldo by the press for instance.

For what it's worth, I can see Kane coming good again next year, probably to a lesser extent than this year but I can see potential in the lad. Certainly more than I saw in us buying Berba from them - partly because his style is suited more. Still wouldn't entertain buying him yet though.
Falcao was a proven scorer and look how that worked out. Rather Kane hits the heights of this season remains to be seen, but he's clearly a talent. You don't do what he's done consistently for Spurs at 21 years of age this season and have no big clubs take notice of it.

Last edited:

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I do agree with this. I don't think Kane would leave anyway, he looks very happy being the main man at Spurs.
Yeah...thats what they all say.
But when a big club comes calling - the big money, the big trophies, the big stadia, the big games - the player leaves without too much trouble. A player needs to show a serious lack of ambition (or loyalty), to resist a move to big club.

In the last few decades, there are only 2 British players who I can think of, who declined the opportunity to play for a huge club - Shearer (went to Newcastle, instead of Man Utd) and Matt Le Tissier (stayed at Southampton).
Pretty much every player needs to maximise his earnings potential and needs to make hay while the sun shines. An athlete's career is relatively short and you never know how quickly things may change. One bad season and Kane may miss out on a move to a big club.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
The major problem I can see with buying Kane is the amount of money levy would try to extract from us... They have a new ground to pay for and I suspect levy would want to recoup as much as possible

Striker10

It's all speculation :) We scout that many players we'll just have to see what transpires. What would be nice though is for people to get behind whoever we sign and not be disappointed. I'm sure we'll bring in the right quality. Kane or otherwise

Adcuth

not worth 45, 25 maximum, think he could flourish here competing with Wilson and Rooney though

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
In the last few decades, there are only 2 British players who I can think of, who declined the opportuclubto play for a huge club - Shearer (went with newcastle, instead of Man Utd) and Matt Le Tissier (stayed at Southampton).
Gerrard... Though it depends how big a club you think Liverpool are... But he could certainly have gone somewhere more likely to challenge for league titles
I actually have a lot of respect for all three choosing with their heart over their wallet (though shearer Blackburn seemed to be wallet driven)
But growing up robson was my favourite player and I love that he chose to stay with us when he could easily have gone abroad... Especially when English clubs were banned in europe

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I really hope these rumours are false.

Staking now that he'll have major second season syndrome next year.

FC Ronaldo

@sunama @Shark

Falcao is a loan not a £45m possible transfer on a 1 season wonder thus far as discussed here.

If you're going to draw comparisons, please at least make it relative - this one won't be unless we confirm his permanent signing. Even then Falcao's career and goal record carries more weight than Kane's potential for a better goal return in the UCL next year.

Please also remember my post before this, I'm a fan of Kane's. Just adding context to the debate.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
No thanks. Risk factor versus the wedge we'd have to hand over just isn't worth it. Levy would be absolutely crucified and he knows it. He'd want a kings ransom.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
If he is available then we should bloody well sign him. I just don't get this place at times.

Trizy

Wilson will be a better striker eventually, I'd rather stick with him.

RonaldoVII

Yeah...thats what they all say.
But when a big club comes calling - the big money, the big trophies, the big stadia, the big games - the player leaves without too much trouble. A player needs to show a serious lack of ambition (or loyalty), to resist a move to big club.

In the last few decades, there are only 2 British players who I can think of, who declined the opportunity to play for a huge club - Shearer (went to Newcastle, instead of Man Utd) and Matt Le Tissier (stayed at Southampton).
Pretty much every player needs to maximise his earnings potential and needs to make hay while the sun shines. An athlete's career is relatively short and you never know how quickly things may change. One bad season and Kane may miss out on a move to a big club.
Didn't baines reject the chance to join us? Sure there's more for other clubs too

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Thats a good point.
It demonstrates that there will be an element of risk involved.
One way to get around this is to wait to see how he does in the first half of next season. If he continues to be prolific, pay £50M in January.

I have stated this in another thread: to win the title you need 1 player to weigh in with about 20 (or more) goals. This year Costa. Last year Aguero, Year before, RVP. etc.

Lets go through our strikers:
Falcao (he wont be here next year)
Wilson (young, but perennially injured and cant score 20)
Rooney (plays many games but cant score 20)

RVP (plays few games and cant score 20)

Right now, we dont have a player who can score 20 goals per season, which means that winning the title next year will be against the norm.
Some may argue that Bale could score 20 for us (in his last year he scored 21 for Spurs), so perhaps if we get Bale, we wont need Kane.
Wilson is a young player, has had some injuries but hasnt had enough games to state that he cant score 20.
Rooney, LVG has been using him in midfield for a decent chunk of the season which in turn has had an impact on his goal scoring chances. Moyes also had him in midfield for a while.
Your argument is flawed with these 2 players.
Rooney is more than capable of scoring 20 in a season if allowed to play up front.

Striker10

Wilson will be a better striker eventually, I'd rather stick with him.
Well depending on our formation, I think it suits Wilson more as a winger/striker so that he get's more room to run at defenders. He's played on the wing before and is capable of going down the line and cutting inside.

Last edited:

AKDevil

I doubt it since he's only just signed a new contract, running for 5 years until 2020. Instead it's just media click bait and has zero credibility no matter from which angle you look at it.
My suspicion is Woodward. Obviously spoke to people yday following figures announcement.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
I still find it very hard to believe that someone with his name/face combo could be the real deal.

littlepeasoup

If we were in for him I'd definitely prefer to wait until we see what he does next year. Not saying it's easy to score as many goals as he has, but it's much easier to have a breakout season when a) you're virtually unknown b) you don't carry the weight of expectation.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Would hate to see him here. Never rated him. Will be sold to Liverpool for 15m within two seasons.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
At a time where it's debatable which of Kane or Welbeck is the right pick for England, it doesn't seem like the wisest thing for us to have sold one for £16m one year, brought in Falcao for a season on huge wages who has done feck all, and then spunk £45m on Kane. Obviously, Kane is a better scorer than Welbeck but aside from that there isn't much between them.

Status
Not open for further replies.