Harry Kane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empire

Is two seasons really that much more proof than one? One good year at Atletico and one at Chelsea (one in which he didn't look amazing and got injured too).

I do believe Kane was a one season thing though. I've got a bet with a mate that he won't get 20 goals overall this year (similarly a second bet that Benteke won't score 15 league goals) and I'm pretty damn confident in that.
What about Michu? He scored 15 goals in La Liga for Rayo Vallecano and then 18 in the premier league for Swansea before stopping. It will be interesting to see if he can find that form in Seria A.

And also how can a player score 15 goals in La Liga from attacking midfield for the team that finishes 15th and only be transferred for £2m, premier league talent really is overpriced.

Americano

Make America Great Again!
He's probably just pressing too hard, like his big chance today he dallied on the ball and thought instead of acting instinctively. Maybe a little doubt has crept in but he'll be banging them in soon enough once he clears his head.

Oo0AahCantona

People awfully foolish writing him off after 3 games in a spurs side that just hasn't created enough chances, similar to ourselves and rooney.

Robbie Boy

First of all, the season people aren't getting on Costa's back (yet) is because he is a proven player at the top level over more then one season. The evidence would suggest that he will find his scoring boots sooner rather then later. Same goes when the likes of Aguero or Benzema go through a goal drought. They all have a pedigree that allows people to think its just poor form.

Kane doesn't have that pedigree. He has had one good season, and the jury is out as to whether that's his true level, or just a one season wonder. No one hates him, or is itching to jump on his back. Thats just silly talk.
People are getting on Costas' back to be fair and rightly so. He's been wank for a long time now.

Robbie Boy

What about Michu? He scored 15 goals in La Liga for Rayo Vallecano and then 18 in the premier league for Swansea before stopping. It will be interesting to see if he can find that form in Seria A.

And also how can a player score 15 goals in La Liga from attacking midfield for the team that finishes 15th and only be transferred for £2m, premier league talent really is overpriced.
Michu was awful for Napoli in Serie A.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
People awfully foolish writing him off after 3 games in a spurs side that just hasn't created enough chances, similar to ourselves and rooney.
Definitely, but on the flip-side I think people were awfully foolish to expect the same sort of season as he had last year. I always advocated waiting a year to see how he does in his second full season -- spending 50m or whatever would have been crazy, but he has undoubted class. He'll start scoring soon enough. International break will do him good imo.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He's probably just pressing too hard, like his big chance today he dallied on the ball and thought instead of acting instinctively. Maybe a little doubt has crept in but he'll be banging them in soon enough once he clears his head.
Maybe he's just not that good.

He won't reach 15 in all competitions this season nor 12 in the league.

Kaos

To be honest even Messi would probably struggle to score if he had feckin Dier, Bentleb and Mason as support.

vidic blood & sand

Kane is struggling for goals so far, but then so is Costa, Rooney, Giroud, Benteke. Even Aguero isn't that prolific.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Choo choo, Kane train arrived at '0 goals station' again. All aboard shit train, choo choo.

50 mln quid, I'm laffin.

SoCross

His all round play was good yesterday, made good runs but that chance he gaffed up...

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
The excuses made for him sound like the ones made for Rooney. Maybe he's just not that good, eh?

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
The excuses made for him sound like the ones made for Rooney. Maybe he's just not that good, eh?
It's four games into the league season. Teams are paying more attention to him off the back of last year, and Tottenham still look pretty disjointed. Sometimes it takes a while to adapt and get into a goal-scoring groove, especially for a #9 type who is somewhat reliant on service. Now if the lean spell continues into October and November then there's something to worry about. But a couple of weeks is hardly an adequate sample size for a young striker who will have some growing pains along the way. His overall play, commitment and mobility has been quite good in general, so the Rooney comparison (specifically in the league mind) doesn't necessarily compute to be honest.

Santiago_KinderBueno

Santiago Kinder Bannedo
If all we judge strikers by is goalscoring then we might as well keep hernandez. If we are interested in kane then I'm sure its his ability on the ball that attracts our decision makers.

The guy is 21 isnt he? Had an amazing season off the bat.

The things that i dont get with regards to the negative criticism is:
A) the people who compare him to andy carrol's season before his move to Liverpool.

I'm sorry but anyone with 2 eyes could see what andy carrols strengths & weakness were whether he scored with his head or his foot.

B) that harry kane is somehow a player who's previous spells prior to last season exemplifies the fact that he is an average striker; when in actual fact we could be looking at a goal scorer heavily reliant on the quality of service.

Considering we are progressing to have nearly 60% of the ball in every single match; i would expect kane to get all the support he needs.

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
It's four games into the league season. Teams are paying more attention to him off the back of last year, and Tottenham still look pretty disjointed. Sometimes it takes a while to adapt and get into a goal-scoring groove, especially for a #9 type who is somewhat reliant on service. Now if the lean spell continues into October and November then there's something to worry about. But a couple of weeks is hardly an adequate sample size for a young striker who will have some growing pains along the way. His overall play, commitment and mobility has been quite good in general, so the Rooney comparison (specifically in the league mind) doesn't necessarily compute to be honest.
Do you think I'm basing my entire opinion on four games? Are we forgetting the end of last season and the U21 Euro's?

He's got 1 in his last 9 PL appearances. All I'm hearing is he's lacking service, he makes good runs, his overall play is still good which all sounds like excuses made for Rooney before he started banging them in on Wednesday.

Might be wrong, he might be a star and it may be for the reasons you stated, or it might be as I said, that he just had a really long purple patch last season. Jury's still out on Harry Kane.

Classical Mechanic

Do you think I'm basing my entire opinion on four games? Are we forgetting the end of last season and the U21 Euro's?

He's got 1 in his last 9 PL appearances. All I'm hearing is he's lacking service, he makes good runs, his overall play is still good which all sounds like excuses made for Rooney before he started banging them in on Wednesday.

Might be wrong, he might be a star and it may be for the reasons you stated, or it might be as I said, that he just had a really long purple patch last season. Jury's still out on Harry Kane.
And Wednesday proved that Wayne is a great finisher when giving the opportunity, no?

Santiago_KinderBueno

Santiago Kinder Bannedo

The difference is that Rooney is struggling for United & Someone like Costa is struggling for Chelsea. Meanwhile we are talking about a player who plays for a team full of consistent strugglers. That's the difference.

What I see in him is a spearhead striker; a player who can be confident centrally with regards to getting balls from the left or the right; on the floor or in the air. In that regards He is very capable isn't he?

Litch

Think Rooney, Costa et al have enough goals behind them for many a season to see that it's a blip, Kane has a season so it's natural to question whether that's all it was? I like him a lot but he's a 25 - 30m player at best.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
I'm a big Kane fan but lack of service is not a very good excuse when it's on the back of him missing two very good chances in the same game.

Santiago_KinderBueno

Santiago Kinder Bannedo
Think Rooney, Costa et al have enough goals behind them for many a season to see that it's a blip, Kane has a season so it's natural to question whether that's all it was? I like him a lot but he's a 25 - 30m player at best.
I thinkbthe only reason some of our fans want to wait and judge a season is becayse they know that tottenham are not an easy club to negotiate with.

If it was some brazilian who scored 20 goals in the brazilian liga then the whole world would think he was the next neymar & begging us not to waste time dithering with a transfer.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.

The jury's definitely out, no doubt about it, none of us can predict how he'll down out a couple of years from now, try as we may. But at the same time we must also realize that it's a bit unfair to overly criticize him just yet. He's still only 22 and coming off the back of his first full season in the Premier League. Part of the fault lies with the insane hype machine that skewed people's expectations, something that a lot of young English footballers have to deal with instead of taking their time to develop slowly. We can't realistically expect him to perform on that level every single game.

Like every young striker he'll have his ups and downs in terms of goal-scoring consistency, and that's totally expected, so let's keep that in perspective too. A lot of his growth as a striker will not be gauged purely by the output, but by his dedication and commitment to the team when he stops scoring. And by all means, Kane has shown the ability to stay focused and work as a part of the attacking unit instead of sulking and making himself the center of attention. Tottenham's lack of form as a whole isn't helping him either, just like Chelsea's tepid performances are magnifying Costa's issues and lack of goals as a striker.

As for the Rooney comparison, I still don't think it's appropriate. A lot of the criticism directed at him stemmed from his horrid first touch, lack of desire, fitness concerns? and just a general sense of him being disinterested (much like Van Persie last season or during Moyes' tenure). And he addressed some of those vs Brugge, where he did show a lot more character and purpose. None of those concerns are applicable for Kane.

Empire

Rooney has 3 goals in 5 games, if he continues at this rate that's 23 goals in 38 games and he'll probably play more than 38 games overall so he should be looking at 25+ goals.

And please don't say he's lucky to have that return because of Brugge, our first goal he probably would have scored but Kyle Walker scored it for him and I'm quite sure he scored a goal that shouldn't have been ruled offside so as usual with anybody some go for you (e.g. weak opposition) and some go against you (e.g. goals incorrectly disallowed), as of now there is no real concern with Rooney, we should give him another 5 matches and judge his return from there, Kane too (wait for 10 matches played).

pacifictheme

Rooney has 3 goals in 5 games, if he continues at this rate that's 23 goals in 38 games and he'll probably play more than 38 games overall so he should be looking at 25+ goals.

And please don't say he's lucky to have that return because of Brugge, our first goal he probably would have scored but Kyle Walker scored it for him and I'm quite sure he scored a goal that shouldn't have been ruled offside so as usual with anybody some go for you (e.g. weak opposition) and some go against you (e.g. goals incorrectly disallowed), as of now there is no real concern with Rooney, we should give him another 5 matches and judge his return from there, Kane too (wait for 10 matches played).
Very true. In the same game Hernandez missed a pen and balloned a chance easier than any of Rooneys. So its not like everyone was scoring for fun against Brugge...

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

Rooney is a very good player, but stats like that are silly. Wellbeck scored a hattrick vs Gala last season. Rooney has 3 goals in one game and 0 in 4. The 3 goals in that sample set is actually the outlier.

Anyway I think Rooney will get 20 goals this season, but just wanted to highlight that his current scoring rate in 5 games as a stat is useless

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Yeah against a Championship level club

dogwithabone

Kane is quality and I'd love us to sign him. I said two months ago that he won't get 30 again probably in his entire career but he will weigh in with 20 and ally that with a great all round game then he will be an in demand striker throughout his career.

MJJ

Such a shame that we wont play a club like brugge every five games.

Robbie Boy

Oh yeah I forgot he was there last season, for some reason that's where I thought he was now. Still, he only played 5 games, what happened to him?
He wasn't rated by Rafa and was dropped pretty quick. His career has taken a pretty horrendous trajectory since being linked with the likes of Arsenal after his first season at Swansea. There's talk now of his contract being cancelled.

Empire

Rooney is a very good player, but stats like that are silly. Wellbeck scored a hattrick vs Gala last season. Rooney has 3 goals in one game and 0 in 4. The 3 goals in that sample set is actually the outlier.

Anyway I think Rooney will get 20 goals this season, but just wanted to highlight that his current scoring rate in 5 games as a stat is useless
Over the past 5 seasons he has scored 86 in 162 which works out to 2.65 goals every 5 games and for most of those matches he hasn't even been the striker! So I really don't think the stat of 3 in 5 is meaningless, it's not unreasonable to predict that scoring rate this season, he has been just below that for the past 5 seasons and played many matches not as a striker.

If you think the stat is useless well that's your opinion, there is a reason Louis van Gaal and Rooney both expect 25 goals from him, the staff have obviously looked at his scoring rate, let's face it the manager isn't just going to take a random number and put all his faith in Rooney to get it without evidence he can.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
A mediocre start to the season for Kane, and for Spurs, and maybe path opens for United to buy him in January...

Empire

Such a shame that we wont play a club like brugge every five games.
In Moyes' season in the premier league alone he averaged 2.93 goals per 5 matches and Moyes used him in deeper positions a lot too!

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Over the past 5 seasons in the premier league alone he has averaged 2.65 goals every 5 matches and how many games has he been a striker?
I'm discussing that post and not Rooney record in the past half a decade

Empire

I'm discussing that post and not Rooney record in the past half a decade
So discuss that post, this is the part you quoted:

What's wrong with the prediction Rooney can continue at the rate of 3 goals every 5 games? It's what Louis van Gaal expects Rooney to get this season. His return in all competitions has been slightly below that in the past 5 seasons where he has probably played more not as a striker than as a striker so it's not unrealistic to expect him to get an average of about 3 in 5.

If you think he can only do that as a striker against championship level opposition then that's your opinion, against premier league opposition in the last two seasons (yes the 7th place under Moyes and 4th under Louis van Gaal) where he played deeper for both managers quite a few times he scored at a rate of 2.34 goals every 5 matches so I think it's pretty ridiculous to think he can only get a return of 3 in 5 against championship level teams.

Santiago_KinderBueno

Santiago Kinder Bannedo
Would we want him if he carries on being mediocre?

I don't think we should be going near him until he proves last season wasn't a one off.
Isn't that dependant on tottenham too? He isnt a player like bale or ronaldo who can do things without the help or assistance of his team-mates and he IS an old fashioned number 9 with a bit morr ability with the ball at feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.