Harry Kane

Status
Not open for further replies.

r0663664

Worships Man City
No way Kane for 200 mil. Not even Real will pay 200 prior to Covid19, let alone now. Levy is just taking a opportunity to tell everyone that it will take a obscene amount of dollar for Kane to leave. Kane may force a move if Spurs isn't going anyone in 1-2 years time. I rather wait for Greenwood for 2-3 years.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Levy is just sending out a message to Kane: “ we’re bigger than you so you’ll leave on our terms.”
He’s a horrible Cnut

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
There's no one out there offering 200M for any player. Neymar has had one foot out of PSG for two years now and no one has claimed him. United would even be bidding against themselves at 120M.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
A lot of his problems are linked to the ridiculous dependency on him at spurs and the regular returns when he's not recovered from injuries. Didn't even get a break after the WC iirc. He wouldn't have these problems at a bigger club. For me, he's the best #9 in the world after Lewandowski not named Messi/Ronaldo and a striker like him can transform a team.
England’s leading no.9 at Manchester United? They’d be exacerbated here.

redshaw

I think Tottenham are on course for some troubled years to be fair.
Eriksen has left. Kane pretty much saying he'd leave for trophies.
Vertonghen and Alderweireld's contracts are due this summer.
Mourinho in charge
With the wages they want to pay for players, I think all this is catching up with them
Possibly but replacing the squad looked difficult at the height of the transfer fee. With an astute managerial signing and the transfer fees possibly lowering it might be like 2015 again for Spurs.

There's a gaggle of clubs in United, Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea all with big expectations but yet to look convincing.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Possibly but replacing the squad looked difficult at the height of the transfer fee. With an astute managerial signing and the transfer fees possibly lowering it might be like 2015 again for Spurs.
Err.. they have Jose Mourinho in charge. Spurs are in the bin for the foreseeable.

RedorDead21

Gotta get him if we can. The kinda finisher which elevates the attack to world class. Add Sancho if Pogba leaves Grealish and we can concentrate on replacing the DM in subsequent windows. I personally think we couldn’t afford Kane without losing Pogba and I really don’t wanna lose him. I think with him and new signings we are a real force.

Based Adnan

I'm of the opinion that Kane's willingness to push himself back early from injury will only result in an early accelerated decline.

Not to mention if we do want a fluid fast attacking trident then Kane doesn't fit into that. I'd avoid, especially at the ludicrious £200M quoted.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
2024 is pretty far away for a 26y old spending more and more time injured. He should have let his previous contract run for a year and ask for a move then. Just like Zaha he's going to be fecked in the long run and won't be able to get away from this Spurs team. Even at 100-120m United should stay clear of him and target younger and a more dynamic player than him.

C'est Moi Cantona

I could see Kane at £150 million if wasn't injured quite as often as he is, and football was at the peak of its powers, but given he is, and next season could be at least in part be behind closed doors, so the financial hit will be massive, I just don't see it now.

Spurs would be better just keeping him, as you'd be at about £70 million max now, and that would likely need us to sell first.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I think he's over the hill and on the way down tbh. Big part due to the injuries, but also because very few can sustain world class dominance for 5+ years. Kane was world class and up there with Lewa for 4 season, and then this and last season hes shown a big drop off from that (again, big part due to injuries). I think this is his new norm rather than a down period.

sport2793

It's just a negotiating tactic, Levy will sell for much less than 200 million pounds. The fact that they were one of the first clubs to furlough employees says a lot about their current dire financial situation.

passing-wind

Kane's not worth 200 million, neither is any player in world football for that matter. I also disagree with those saying he's declined Spurs have overplayed him since his debut for the first team. It's a win win situation the longer Tottenham coast the more their prize assets end up discontent.

I've always applauded Levy's shrewdness from a business perspective but he's completely mishandled player sales in the last three seasons. He should have more hindsight when the demand for players is high, especially average ones like Dier.

stepic

Opening position. Nobody will get near that in this climate. Its almost as if Spurs thinks the financial crunch isnt going to impact anybody else.
130m with clauses is the number imo
this. Levy knows fine well he won’t get 200m for him.

something around £120-130m and I think United could possibly go for it. As long as it doesn’t mean no Sancho.

alexthelion

Nothing revolutionary about this really, because Spurs aren’t what they used to be. They were a smaller club on the high, but the work can quickly be washed away in one unexpected wave. Pochettino was everything, he was the only reason why that team was suddenly on display, now it seems a long time ago. The players seemed to be enjoying themselves, they played a type of football players would want to be part of, much better than what the current United-manager is managing. High pressure up the field, great momentum building leading to chances. With Pochettino out, Eriksen gone, Alli just being average, bad signings, Kane injured... Mourinho at the helm, well, it’s not the same and Kane is obviously the best player by far.

He should have left two years ago, heck Levy should have sold him for the fees going about, but it’s easy to talk retrospectively. Kane deserves much better than what Spurs can offer him, it’s just how it is after so many years without a single trophy. Some stay like Le Tissier and it’s nothing wrong with that, but the history books and the lack of trophy pictures on the wall will haunt them if they do.
That's rubbish, their play has been tumescent, to say the least, for the last 18 months / two years.

Withnail

something around £120-130m and I think United could possibly go for it. As long as it doesn’t mean no Sancho.
I think he's over-priced at 120m aswell, especially given his injury profile over the past two seasons and the market will be depressed.

I'm not sure any player is going for close to 100m any time soon.

Last edited:

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Good. Great player but has to be the focal point of the team. A bit like Ruud. Great player but the team benefitted when he left because Rooney and Ronaldo emerged. I’d rather build a future around Rashford, Martial, Greenwood and Sancho than sign Kane.

pixel

We aren't spending anything more than 50-60m in total considering the economic climate.

cyberman

Spurs arent getting big money from abroad in this climate.
Levy really isnt that astute of a salesman. He could have left 100m combined on the tabke by holding on to Eriksen and Kane for too long just because of his ridiculous stance

-Supreme-

Levy really isnt that astute of a salesman. He could have left 100m combined on the tabke by holding on to Eriksen and Kane for too long just because of his ridiculous stance
Exactly. I don't understand how he is regarded so highly...

He could easily have sold Dier, Rose, Alderweireld and Eriksen for £220-250m

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Levy is what he is, but that's not fair on him - Spurs had a real chance to elevate themselves to a new standing with a team that was fairly regarded as one of the strongest in the country. You don't sell off the cornerstones of that possible ascension as that shows you have no ambition and have accepted you're just a gatekeeping club for the big boys.

I doubt Levy even wants to sell now, and would only do so if there's no option other than to do so, or, Kane shows signs of a consistent slide in performance.

Spurs can't be mocked as a nothing club at the same time as people then blasting them for selling off any asset that gives them the chance to be perceived differently.

cyberman

Levy is what he is, but that's not fair on him - Spurs had a real chance to elevate themselves to a new standing with a team that was fairly regarded as one of the strongest in the country. You don't sell off the cornerstones of that possible ascension as that shows you have no ambition and have accepted you're just a gatekeeping club for the big boys.

I doubt Levy even wants to sell now, and would only do so if there's no option other than to do so, or, Kane shows signs of a consistent slide in performance.

Spurs can't be mocked as a nothing club at the same time as people then blasting them for selling off any asset that gives them the chance to be perceived differently.
But they have an aging backline because Levy didnt want to sell to rivals to the point 3 of their starters ended up with 1 year left. Add in Eriksen who should have been sold 12 months earlier and you have a chairman who has put his ego in front of business.
Its hard to get the best price for players when you rule out the richest league in the world, so he ends up keeping players because his price isnt met (not a coincidence Daniel) and he wont be bullied by big clubs etc.
Its going to be the same with injury prone Kane. Theres a real chance that in 12 months we will be looking back at the performances of an unhappy player ala Eriksen and stating theyre better off without him only then who pays the fee they would command?

Cmz'

For me, this would show if we've learnt anything about transfer dealings in the past couple of years, spending £100m+ on a striker with no resale value, who's injury prone and whose numbers are significantly down from what you would assume was his peak (2016/17 & 2017/18) would be absolutely insane.

Brightonian

For me, this would show if we've learnt anything about transfer dealings in the past couple of years, spending £100m+ on a striker with no resale value, who's injury prone and whose numbers are significantly down from what you would assume was his peak (2016/17 & 2017/18) would be absolutely insane.
This. Sanchez all over again.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
But they have an aging backline because Levy didnt want to sell to rivals to the point 3 of their starters ended up with 1 year left. Add in Eriksen who should have been sold 12 months earlier and you have a chairman who has put his ego in front of business.
Its hard to get the best price for players when you rule out the richest league in the world, so he ends up keeping players because his price isnt met (not a coincidence Daniel) and he wont be bullied by big clubs etc.
Its going to be the same with injury prone Kane. Theres a real chance that in 12 months we will be looking back at the performances of an unhappy player ala Eriksen and stating theyre better off without him only then who pays the fee they would command?
I don't disagree about Levy, but there is a tough predicament for a club like Spurs where they are always preyed upon and forced into a state no better than inertia. Selling off assets that can potentially bridge the gap is what has soured Levy in the first place (and why he hates us in particular), so I believe it is partly his ego, but equally a reluctance to constantly deconstruct sides and have to start over, worse still with other clubs then knowing they've money to spend.

Levy makes a lot of mistakes, but I do believe he has Spurs' best interest at heart.

sp_107

Too many injuries for 200M and he would become just a target man. I think what Ole is implementing here is a bit different to Kane's style of play.

I would prefer to have Zakaria(40M) / Sancho(100M) / Grealish(60M) and sell Pogba for 100M = -100M Net. I keep Ighalo and even I try Sanchez as he might do well with our flowing new style Bruno brought in.

Just for 100M spent, we can instantly look a lot better and on top of this I wont mind cashing on players like Rojo,Smalling,Jones, Perrera and Lingard. Literally we can improve our team a lot better with just around 50M spent..

dev1l

Not sure about United's intentions. The fact that Rio, Keane and Neville seems to be pushing in favour of his signing, makes me think that someone at OT is definitely interested.
But I m sure we won't pay the amounts being mentioned. Only way I see us signing him is if we sell Martial for good money.
Still if players prices go down, it will be harder for Spurs to part with Kane unless Mourinho is pushing for it so he have funds to spend

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Exactly this. I know a lot of people still believe players peak at 28-29 but Kane certainly won't.

There's every chance his peak was 22-25 and although turning 27 in July is no age the warning signs are very clear.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Not sure about United's intentions. The fact that Rio, Keane and Neville seems to be pushing in favour of his signing, makes me think that someone at OT is definitely interested.
But I m sure we won't pay the amounts being mentioned. Only way I see us signing him is if we sell Martial for good money.
Still if players prices go down, it will be harder for Spurs to part with Kane unless Mourinho is pushing for it so he have funds to spend
They are all players of high repute who in a lot of ways have superb knowledge.

But they can't possibly have ignored the growing injury issues and drop off from his top level surely.
Plus they must have realised with fees these days you don't just cherry pick top rival players anymore

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Don't think there's much in this. If someone asked them Maddison, Sancho or Grealish at a time they openly admitted that they may move - they would say the exact same about them. These lot are always in favour of backing domestic players and youth players and perhaps rightly so at times. It's a bit more classy to push for these things when the player has already spoken openly about a move.

Of course they want England's poster boy + captain to play for United, and a regular 20+ scorer to play for us.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Too many injuries for 200M and he would become just a target man. I think what Ole is implementing here is a bit different to Kane's style of play.

I would prefer to have Zakaria(40M) / Sancho(100M) / Grealish(60M) and sell Pogba for 100M = -100M Net. I keep Ighalo and even I try Sanchez as he might do well with our flowing new style Bruno brought in.

Just for 100M spent, we can instantly look a lot better and on top of this I wont mind cashing on players like Rojo,Smalling,Jones, Perrera and Lingard. Literally we can improve our team a lot better with just around 50M spent..
He’s more than just a target man it’s a bit reductive to call him that as he’s a lot more involved in play than given credit for.

That being said Sancho, Zakaria and a Grealish type signings would be exactly what is missing from our squad right now and be the right age mix and potential for development further to take us into title challenging territory. We really need to improve the squad as much as anything else and I believe Sancho with Martial, Rashford, Bruno and Pogba if he stays has a lot of goals and creativity that would really put us in with a very good shout of a title challenge.

sp_107

He’s more than just a target man it’s a bit reductive to call him that as he’s a lot more involved in play than given credit for.

That being said Sancho, Zakaria and a Grealish type signings would be exactly what is missing from our squad right now and be the right age mix and potential for development further to take us into title challenging territory. We really need to improve the squad as much as anything else and I believe Sancho with Martial, Rashford, Bruno and Pogba if he stays has a lot of goals and creativity that would really put us in with a very good shout of a title challenge.
Agreed, I was trying to downplay the excitement of getting Kane by saying he is just target man but I know he is still one of the best.
His 200M price tag and injuries might create an unwanted situation for us so Instead we could use that money for Zakaria/Grealish/Sancho was my point.

tomaldinho1

Simply do not want for the money we'd have to pay. He misses multiple games every season with the same or similar ligament injuries and is hardly young - he's about to turn 27 - plus he always plays for England and, in my opinion, has had his body run into the ground by club and country. For the sums of money that are being touted you could very feasibly pick up Sancho and a top DM which we're far more in need of.

El Zoido

We aren't spending anything more than 50-60m in total considering the economic climate.
We will, and it’ll work to our advantage too. But we’re not buying Harry Kane, thankfully.

tjb

Not worth it right now. I do think we may need a striker, but its not a priority at the minute. Getting Sancho or an alternative on the right flank would open up our attack. AWB is improving offensively, but we all know that his defensive skills are what can make him world class, getting someone on that wing the can relieve him of the offensive load there would help him.

Personally, as far as the striker is concerned, I would rather sign a player to compete with Martial or an older quality player to replace him and help Greenwood develop. We have a real talent on ours hands in Greenwood and given the quality he has already shown, may not be too far away from being a worthy first choice striker for us. I can see it in about two years if his body can adapt to the league, as that is the main thing stopping him from really being a factor as our first choice striker.

Imagine us having Martial as an option, with Greenwood, New Striker, Sancho, Rashford and James as members of our attacking line. We would have real quality in depth. Signing a Cavani might be too expensive, but if we can look into a short term 2 year option like Dries Mertens, that would be great.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I don't want us to sign a goal machine. Am I doing this right?

Status
Not open for further replies.