Harry Maguire’s speed...

Stacks

He's not slow in a straight line when running, he's slow to turn and accelerate. He actually kept up with Sane in a straight line foot race and tackled him before, if he was slow that wouldn't be possible.

The issue is he doesn't move his feet quickly enough at a standing position, and doesn't have the drive getting off the line.

I do think he's been carrying a muscle injury lately, since he came back from injury he's looked a lot more reluctant to run like he's protecting himself.
You should compare his relevant speed stats — if you’re able to find those, of course, I’m not sure if they measure that. And if you look at them, he’s really not comparable with other top CBs. He’s the modern equivalent of Steve Bruce or Ronald Koeman in terms of acceleration & agility, but he doesn’t possess neither the mentality of the former nor the spatial awareness of the latter (and both of them still often looked like complete buffoons when the opposition had managed to successfully expose their weaknesses).

He’s not a bad player, mind you, and he’s still our second best center back, but you can’t only judge him by his best spell while completely ignoring multiple times when he had barely even resembled a Premier league defender (he’s still distressed about Greece… he’s not fit… Ole is a fraud…). Just as you can’t ignore periods where he had looked borderline world-class, including an impressive performance at an international tournament. He is what he is, a good player with an unusually unbalanced set of abilities which leads to a huge disparity between his best and worst performances that he’s unlikely to ever overcome. As for your hope that he’ll do well in a more proactive system — I admire your confidence. Personally I very much doubt both him and Wan-Bissaka in that new system but we’ll see, I guess.

I just hate the inevitable overcompensation that follows any player’s criticism on caf (which itself is often over the top). Wan-Bissaka is horrible with the ball? Ackchyually, no, he’s great, didn’t you hear that he used to be a winger? Maguire is horrible and the lack of speed is an issue? Ackchyually, no, he once reached a top speed of 35 km/h.
He turns like a bus. Having top speed is great, but agility, nimbleness, and being able to shift his weight quickly is just as (if not more) important given his position.
according to the data Harry top speed is similar to Kyle Walker's who clocked 35.21 km/h but look at the difference here.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
these top speed charts have always been suspect. Always come up with some outrageous readings that make you wonder are they recording top speed over one stride?

previous 10 FASTEST in the entire premier league

https://www.sportbible.com/football...ayers-in-the-premier-league-revealed-20200727

In third is Manchester United hot-shot Mason Greenwood, scorer of 10 Premier League goals this season. The 18-year old is known his two-footedness when shooting but his pace is not to be overlooked; Greenwood ran at 23.36mph against Everton on March 1

You wouldn't have Leicester City's Caglar Soyuncu down as a speedster but the Turkish centre-back was the sixth-fastest player in the Premier League this term, with a top speed of of 23.33mph against Crystal Palace.

Arsenal's Ainsley Maitland-Niles ran at 23.27mph against Manchester City in December, while the top ten is completed by Southampton's Shane Long (23.21mph), Manchester United's Fred (23.17mph) and Manchester City's Phil Foden (23.07mph).

to put into perspective, the female Usain Bolt Thompson-Herah ran a top speed of. 24.20m.p.h. at 68 meters. She is the 2nd fastest woman alive running 100m in 10.5. I think the football recordings are off.

he's not

no one has any idea how the speeds are recorded and using what equipment, distance or anything. tis why they are always suspect.
Makes sense. I think I've read a more comprehensive analysis on those somewhere after which I trust those numbers even less.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
according to the data Harry top speed is similar to Kyle Walker's who clocked 35.21 km/h but look at the difference here.

You're comparing accleration and top speed. Look towards the end of the video Maguire starts catching up quite quickly

Oranges038

Those are only used during the training (and there aren't sewn into shirts).
I mixed it up with another sport. I was thinking of rugby or GAA where they have them on their backs maybe.

Those sports bra vests the players wear under their shirts do have gps trackers in them.

Jackal981

You're comparing accleration and top speed. Look towards the end of the video Maguire starts catching up quite quickly
He can has a top speed of 100km/h but it doesnt matter if he accelerates like a titanic. He always got burned in short distance.

Stacks

no he doesn't. Man stop :lol:. they started in line with each other and Walker had to run across too and ended up infront of Maguire and was the sole reason Muller missed. You guys are persistent. Walker is the guy nearest to us btw

dave1956

I agree with stacks comment, a top class defender requires recovery speed, because there will be times when forwards will evade the tackle, and you need to recover. He does not have this ability to turn and make that second tackle, plus his spacial awareness is questionable, a number of times he has been caught as the last man when the defensive line has moved up, leaving the opposition on side.

Jackal981

but he has ZERO recovery pace so in effect he does not have pace and is therefore slow.
This. Probably easiest defender to beat 1v1 on counter scenarios. These speedy forwards just need to nick the ball behind him and ran away. Either he lost the footrace or resort to fouls to stop them.

klayton88

Reminds me of when I've got no boost in rocket league. I make an effort to get back but everybody knows I'm not getting back.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He can has a top speed of 100km/h but it doesnt matter if he accelerates like a titanic. He always got burned in short distance.
no he doesn't. Man stop :lol:. they started in line with each other and Walker had to run across too and ended up infront of Maguire and was the sole reason Muller missed. You guys are persistent. Walker is the guy nearest to us btw
You only need to watch videos of him at Leicester to see he was quicker than he's showing recently. He's always been a bit slow to get going but once in his stride he's definitely NOT slow.

Injuries have clearly made him hold back/slow down a little. He rushed back for the Europa league final/Euros and then got injured again early in the season and rushed back again. If you don't fully heal that will effect the way you can run.

I genuinely do think he's playing with a few knocks/niggles right now, hopefully with a bit of a break he can get those healed up and get back to his best.

Lentwood

These top speed charts have always been suspect. Always come up with some outrageous readings that make you wonder are they recording top speed over one stride?

To put into perspective, the female Usain Bolt Thompson-Herah ran a top speed of. 24.20m.p.h. at 68 meters. She is the 2nd fastest woman alive running 100m in 10.5. I think the football recordings are off.

No one has any idea how the speeds are recorded and using what equipment, distance or anything. tis why they are always suspect.
It wouldn't surprise me at all that top PL footballers hit speeds that are close to the 2nd-fastest woman on the planet. I used to work with a bloke who could beat the women's world record for a 5KM and a 10KM run but yet never made a Team GB running team at any level. The fact is, elite male sportsmen are significantly physically faster, stronger and more powerful than elite sportswomen.

We don't know for sure how the stats are calculated, but why would they be skewed in Maguire's favour? Also, I find it hard to believe it's that difficult to calculate, should be one of the simplest things to measure, surely? Speed = Distance/Time...you learn that in school! Plus, I am big fan of Horse Racing, and they can measure the stride length (in metres), stride frequency and speed of a horse down to a tenth of a second.

Again, just to go back to my point....I am not saying Maguire is rapid....what I am saying is that all the Data indicates his speed (or supposed lack of) is a myth/non-issue, certainly when compared to other players in his position. Bear in mind, I compared with top defenders at top clubs, to make sure it was an 'elite' comparison.

Chief123

these top speed charts have always been suspect. Always come up with some outrageous readings that make you wonder are they recording top speed over one stride?

https://www.sportbible.com/football...ayers-in-the-premier-league-revealed-20200727

In third is Manchester United hot-shot Mason Greenwood, scorer of 10 Premier League goals this season. The 18-year old is known his two-footedness when shooting but his pace is not to be overlooked; Greenwood ran at 23.36mph against Everton on March 1

You wouldn't have Leicester City's Caglar Soyuncu down as a speedster but the Turkish centre-back was the sixth-fastest player in the Premier League this term, with a top speed of of 23.33mph against Crystal Palace.

Arsenal's Ainsley Maitland-Niles ran at 23.27mph against Manchester City in December, while the top ten is completed by Southampton's Shane Long (23.21mph), Manchester United's Fred (23.17mph) and Manchester City's Phil Foden (23.07mph).

to put into perspective, the female Usain Bolt Thompson-Herah ran a top speed of. 24.20m.p.h. at 68 meters. She is the 2nd fastest woman alive running 100m in 10.5. I think the football recordings are off.

he's not

no one has any idea how the speeds are recorded and using what equipment, distance or anything. tis why they are always suspect.
Yeah I’ve lost faith in these dodgy speed stats.

It wasn’t long ago Mata came up as one of our quickest in training if I remember correctly? He was faster than Shaw.

NoLogo

Same problem as with Pogba I think. Both tall, heavy players who can get going in a long sprint but look slow and awkward on short distances because they can't accelerate fast enough and turn very slowly.

Stacks

It wouldn't surprise me at all that top PL footballers hit speeds that are close to the 2nd-fastest woman on the planet. I used to work with a bloke who could beat the women's world record for a 5KM and a 10KM run but yet never made a Team GB running team at any level. The fact is, elite male sportsmen are significantly physically faster, stronger and more powerful than elite sportswomen.

We don't know for sure how the stats are calculated, but why would they be skewed in Maguire's favour? Also, I find it hard to believe it's that difficult to calculate, should be one of the simplest things to measure, surely? Speed = Distance/Time...you learn that in school! Plus, I am big fan of Horse Racing, and they can measure the stride length (in metres), stride frequency and speed of a horse down to a tenth of a second.

Again, just to go back to my point....I am not saying Maguire is rapid....what I am saying is that all the Data indicates his speed (or supposed lack of) is a myth/non-issue, certainly when compared to other players in his position. Bear in mind, I compared with top defenders at top clubs, to make sure it was an 'elite' comparison.
It would surprise me as very few of those players receive Olympic training. Only a handful of players have every run sub 11 in hundred metres and they don't have proper running technique.

Well it is as we literally saw Kyle Walker leave him in his dust vs Germany (amongst many other players) and Kyle according to the data, has the same speed as Maguire. It is not a non issue since he has zero recovery pace and gets burned.

also what about the others? Fred, Soyunco and Foden are quicker than Vardy, Rashford and Kyle Walker?

SouthernRedDev

We've hired a psychologist, perhaps next we should hire a sprint coach, doesn't Usain Bolt support Utd.

Lentwood

It would surprise me as very few of those players receive Olympic training. Only a handful of players have every run sub 11 in hundred metres and they don't have proper running technique.

Well it is as we literally saw Kyle Walker leave him in his dust vs Germany (amongst many other players) and Kyle according to the data, has the same speed as Maguire. It is not a non issue since he has zero recovery pace and gets burned.

also what about the others? Fred, Soyunco and Foden are quicker than Vardy, Rashford and Kyle Walker?
Why do people keep quoting my post as if I am arguing Maguire is some kind of sprinter?

This thread is titled "Harry Maguire's speed..." and I posted his speed stats, without any of my own comment.

We all know there is more to speed than average speed and top speed. As I mentioned elsewhere, I am a massive horse racing fan and used to compile my own speed ratings, so I am well aware of the danger of taking these numbers at face value without context.

However, I go back to the point which I keep making, which is that his numbers are about in the middle. I would say, visually, it looks like Maguire is slow to get going but then reasonable in a straight line.

I do keep reiterating that I think the fact our CBs keep having to get into foot races is more of an issue with tactics than anything else. I am not comparing Maguire to Vidic or Terry, but how would they have fared at United this season? I would have thought pretty terribly based on how open we have been.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

he's not

Aye those top speeds looks suspiciously fast. Possible but I'd be surprised if all of those players were hitting 37-38km/h on grass with boots and shinguards on. You translate those speeds to spikes on a fast track and they'll be pushing 39-40km/h which would suggest they are capable of running 10.5 or quicker for 100m. There will be a very small proportion of footballers who can run 100m under 11 seconds, but they will be few and far between and some of those names don't look incredibly quick on the park, in the way that the likes of Robben or Haaland do. For example, the fastest speed attributed to Haaland is 36km/h or 22.4mph and he is an athletic freak in the way that most of those guys aren't.

The other caveat is these times never really compare like with like as they are simply snapshots in game. Top speed will be dictated by the opportunity to hit a top speed, which is often why the centre-halves crack these lists because they are more likely to make long bursts towards their own goal during counter-attacks. To accurately assess and compare top speeds, you need timing gates and cameras which is what top sprinters will use to measure their flying 10-30m times.