Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReligion

Abusive
I simply cannot comprehend how you see it as an act of leadership to go up for an attacking corner in the 96th minute when you're a centre half playing for Manchester United against Brighton with the score being 2-2.

I'm obviously more interested in whether the captain's talking to his teammates, whether he's encouraging them, whether he's upping the tempo of the game to chase a goal, or whether he's sulking and passing sideways between him and his CB partner. Those are much better indicators of his leadership and mentality than the fact that he goes to their box for a last-minute corner.

We obviously see the game differently, so let's just agree to disagree. Sulking after conceding an equaliser is obviously what people expect to see from the United captain, I'll accept that I'm in the minority so I'll just back out.
Yes back out as you've been rumbled for talking rubbish. You see it as sulking, everyone else sees it as disappointment. The same disappointment seen on the face of Bruno the man many consider to be ideal captain material.

There's different types of Captain by the way. Not everyone is like Roy Keane even if that's what you personally like to see. Doesn't make them a shit captain or leader cause they don't throw punches at opponents and shout feck off to their team mates every few minutes.

TheReligion

Abusive
Third time. Okay.

So what do you expect me to say? I didn't like that our captain sulked after conceding an equaliser with ten minutes to go. You said "what about Bruno". It would've been hypocritical of me to say that Bruno's reaction is fine whereas Maguire's isn't, wouldn't it? Yes, I thought that going down to your knees after an equaliser was poor from Maguire, who's supposed to be a leader, which I pointed out in this thread, to which the retort was that Maguire's leadership is fine because he won a header from an attacking corner that happened to hit a raised arm and win a penalty.

I mean, what am I making up here? I'm just posting my opinion as to what kind of leadership I expect from the captain of Manchester United. You obviously think it's fine for the captain to sulk and go down to his knees when we concede important goals as long as the opponents raise their arms for his headers, which has feck all to do with leadership.
Who should be the club captain then and why? What else do you see of these individuals bar looking at their faces after conceding goals?

Do tell.

Anustart89

Yes back out as you've been rumbled for talking rubbish. You see it as sulking, everyone else sees it as disappointment. The same disappointment seen on the face of Bruno the man many consider to be ideal captain material.

There's different types of Captain by the way. Not everyone is like Roy Keane even if that's what you personally like to see. Doesn't make them a shit captain or leader cause they don't throw punches at opponents and shout feck off to their team mates every few minutes.
Ah yes, I must've missed the post where I said I wanted him to throw punches at opponents and shout feck off to teammates.

Do you not expect the captain to lead, organise and encourage his team-mates? What do you expect from a captain? What is Harry Maguire doing to show his excellent leadership (apart from winning headers in the opponents' box and having them hit raised arms, which we've already established is leadership)?

TheReligion

Abusive
Ah yes, I must've missed the post where I said I wanted him to throw punches at opponents and shout feck off to teammates.

Do you not expect the captain to lead, organise and encourage his team-mates? What do you expect from a captain? What is Harry Maguire doing to show his excellent leadership (apart from winning headers in the opponents' box and having them hit raised arms, which we've already established is leadership)?
You're the one criticising his leadership so you tell me. Bar analysing his face what isn't he doing and why does Ole pick him as Captain?

Who else should be considered ahead of him? What do they bring away from the pitch?

Enlighten us all.

Anustart89

Who should be the club captain then and why? What else do you see of these individuals bar looking at their faces after conceding goals?

Do tell.
Despite being disappointed with Bruno's reaction to the very same goal, I see much more leadership from him in all aspects of the game.

I see him encouraging his team-mates. I see him demanding quality from his team-mates. I see him directing his team-mates. I see him pushing the team on, raising the tempo, taking responsibility.

TheReligion

Abusive
Despite being disappointed with Bruno's reaction to the very same goal, I see much more leadership from him in all aspects of the game.

I see him encouraging his team-mates. I see him demanding quality from his team-mates. I see him directing his team-mates. I see him pushing the team on, raising the tempo, taking responsibility.
So what you're saying makes no sense then. Bruno's reaction yesterday was identical to Maguire's.

Anustart89

So what you're saying makes no sense then. Bruno's reaction yesterday was identical to Maguire's.
Yes, because even if he reacted poorly to the goal there are many other facets to Bruno's leadership that I don't see with Maguire. What leadership qualities do you see in Maguire? Does he lead by any sort of example? Does he encourage his team-mates? Does he drive on the team? So far, the only argument I've seen as to his leadership qualities is that he won an important header from a corner. Isn't there more to his leadership?

TheReligion

Abusive
Yes, because even if he reacted poorly to the goal there are many other facets to Bruno's leadership that I don't see with Maguire. What leadership qualities do you see in Maguire? Does he lead by any sort of example? Does he encourage his team-mates? Does he drive on the team? So far, the only argument I've seen as to his leadership qualities is that he won an important header from a corner. Isn't there more to his leadership?
Why do you keep asking me but fail to answer the questions yourself?

You don't like Maguire's face. Fine. Why do you think Ole picks him as Captain and what else do you see of Maguire in and around the club to make you think he's not suitable.. Or do you just judge it on facial expressions etc

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Watched that United stand show and they really do play up to the lunatics, blaming everything wrong with United at the moment on this poor guy. I think he has been solid this season and right now generally in pretty good form after a shaky start to the season.

Zen86

Let’s be fair, you have absolutely zero idea of Maguire’s leadership qualities or how he interacts with the rest of the squad.

Anustart89

Let’s be fair, you have absolutely zero idea of Maguire’s leadership qualities or how he interacts with the rest of the squad.
I've never claimed to know what goes on off the pitch. I've only commented on what I've seen on the pitch. You don't think any opinions regarding leadership can be formed from what happens on the pitch?

Zen86

I've never claimed to know what goes on off the pitch. I've only commented on what I've seen on the pitch. You don't think any opinions regarding leadership can be formed from what happens on the pitch?
I think you’ve already concluded for yourself what his leadership qualities are, and that’s mainly based on the fact that you obviously don’t like him.

Lentwood

Maguire is a Vidic without his Ferdinand currently.

I’ll get shot down by people for saying that and to be fair, Vidic was genuinely world class and better than Maguire.

However, my point is that Vidic was the aggressor. The front-foot defender who attacked long balls, set-pieces, crosses into the box and rushed to close down shots.

Ferdinand was the Rolls-Royce, the player who read the game brilliantly with pace to burn. Let Vidic attack the ball without fear and Rio would mop up anything behind.

Currently, Maguire plays the role of the “aggressor” pretty well, but lacks a trustworthy partner to cover for those times when attacking the ball leaves him out of position or exposed.

I get the feeling Ole sees more Rio-like attributes in Bailly than Lindelof, however, Bailly lacks concentration and takes too many risks. Lindelof is a 7/10 player every week but is too slow, too passive and only average in the air.

If we could get the right partner to just let Maguire go and play his game our defence would improve markedly

sillwuka

Alot of posters seem to think Maguire isn't a 'Leader' as he's not a screamer on the pitch. Do people expect if we buy a CB to replace like Upemecano or Kounate that our organisation suddenly improves aswell?

He's an important player and I back him.

Man Utd 1:0 Wolves

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
His distribution was brilliant today for a change, especially those 5-10 minutes in the first time where he kept pinging those long balls to our left wing. Very good game by him.

el3mel

Him and Bailly were absolutely fantastic today. Contained Wolves attack and made many important interceptions and blocking.

Holocene

His passing from the back today was excellent. Him and Bailly were superb.

Zen86

His distribution was brilliant today for a change, especially those 5-10 minutes in the first time where he kept pinging those long balls to our left wing. Very good game by him.
Agreed, he was actually dictating the play for periods tonight. That’s probably more a reflection on our midfield than anything else though.

A-man

Wolves attack was really poor, yet he racked up
5 aerials won
3 tackles
3 interceptions
2 clearances
2 blocked shots

Good performance

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
He was really good today as was Bailly. Better pairing than Lindelof imo.

NinjaFletch

He's really a very good centre half. He might not have been the one people wanted, but at this point you have to acknowledge it.

The calamity free version of Bailly suits him a lot better than Lindelof for my money, too.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Really enjoyed his performance today, especially as a quarter back starting off all our offensive phases.

EdinburghDevil

Played really well tonight. Was solid, great on the ball and as a lot of people have said, with the extra pace Bailly brings it looks a good partnership.

If Bailly can stay fit and cut down the number of mistakes, it could be a great partnership

Jonno

Once again, led by example, was a rock in defence. In great form and a huge reason our defence has improved since Spurs

Haters will look the other way

Status
Not open for further replies.