Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

romufc

I don’t think I’ve seen an agenda on here as bad as the one against Maguire. These people clearly don’t watch football, or more importantly other defenders, very often. I genuinely think their expectations of a CB are based on YouTube compilations of VVD.
Judging a CB is probably one of the hardest. If you watch highlights of every CB in the bottom half of the table, they will look World Class.

They are defending, making 10/12 blocks a game, loads of interceptions but when one goes by, nothing is said.

At United, its different. Every corner goal we concede, its blame on Maguire because he should be commanding the box. Well if that is the case, why do we need 11 men in the box?

If you watch 90 mins of Liverpool every game, I am sure you will see the mistakes VVD makes. Believe it or not, I have seen VVD misplace alot of passes, when Maguire misplaces 1 pass, its all over social media and the caf are all over it. That is the difference, other clubs support their players, we want to hate our players.

Look at the Bruno treatment of late for a classic example, or say Rashford.

I watched a game where Son missed a one v one it hit the post and missed a header, not sure if it was Fulham but look how much he is loved by the caf.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Maguire shouldn't have vacated the space imo after watching that. Not sure why he decided to push out to help the wide receiver when Fred the LCM was the one who should've supported Shaw. It reminds me of what Marco Rose said in a interview during his time at Salzburg, when he said that the CBs should only press out wide if the defensive stability is compromised. In this scenario the defensive stability wasn't compromised with the shape intact with the LCM in position to support Shaw on his side. Why Maguire decided to do what he did only he can tell us.

I don't expect anyone to agree with me but you don't leave a huge hole in defence to press out wide with the midfielders in position.

A-man

Do you recall the Spurs goal last season after lockdown? People blamed Maguire and rightly so, but alot of people also blamed Lindelof for not covering saying, a CB with pace would have got there... Bailly put his hands up complaining to the I dont know who when the game is going on.
There are many reasons why I think Lindelof makes more sense as Maguires partner than Bailly, but this js the main one. People seem to think just because Bailly is fast he is better at covering Maguire. But being slightly faster is worth very little compared to being good at reading the game, anticipation and knowing what your partner is up to.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Well it's more to do with covering ground. Our defence needs 2 players protecting them basically all the time, whom are mobile. We concede a lot of goals even with them.
How about coming up with your own thoughts rather than just repeating word for word what Goldbridge says...

romufc

There are many reasons why I think Lindelof makes more sense as Maguires partner than Bailly, but this js the main one. People seem to think just because Bailly is fast he is better at covering Maguire. But being slightly faster is worth very little compared to being good at reading the game, anticipation and knowing what your partner is up to.
I am a Bailly fan tbh, I don't hate Lindelof either but I do think we need another top quality CB to partner Maguire.

Don't you think Ole has got it right in the past month with his team selections?

Against Liverpool Lindelof came back in, was suited to that game. Even in some games where he plays Telles, Matic etc...

He is alot better at squad rotation at the moment IMO.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Maguire shouldn't have vacated the space imo after watching that. Not sure why he decided to push out to help the wide receiver when Fred the LCM was the one who should've supported Shaw. It reminds me of what Marco Rose said in a interview during his time at Salzburg, when he said that the CBs should only press out wide if the defensive stability is compromised. In this scenario the defensive stability wasn't compromised with the shape intact with the LCM in position to support Shaw on his side. Why Maguire decided to do what he did only he can tell us.

I don't expect anyone to agree with me but you don't leave a huge hole in defence to press out wide with the midfielders in position.
How anyone can watch that video and think Maguire is out of position is a real head scratcher. Shaw has to mark wide so Maguire steps over as he should. The problem is that Bailly picked up nobody, Pogba saw it developing and picked up nobody, and AWB was caught behind his central defenders. But Bailly has to react. He didn't even look at Lookman...

Water Melon

Seconded. Bailly could have reacted faster, but Maguire let this shit happen in the first place. Missing the header was also criminal, decent defender but never a world class one.

Zen86

He pushed out as Shaw was at risk of being outnumbered 2v1 at the start of the move. And by huge hole in defence, are you talking about the area with 2 United players, Bailly and Pogba, to cover 1 Fulham player? Of course, don’t let that detail get in the way of a good story.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
How anyone can watch that video and think Maguire is out of position is a real head scratcher. Shaw has to mark wide so Maguire steps over as he should. The problem is that Bailly picked up nobody, Pogba saw it developing and picked up nobody, and AWB was caught behind his central defenders. But Bailly has to react. He didn't even look at Lookman...
Fred is the midfielder covering the left side of the pitch so it's his responsibility to help Shaw in the event of a overload. Maguire as the CB cannot vacate his space and press wide with Fred in position. So Maguire leaving his space opened us up to the ball over the top which obviously could've been covered by players you mention but the initial mistake was by Maguire IMO.

But it's no big deal we won the game and hopefully we learn from our mistakes.

romufc

He pushed out as Shaw was at risk of being outnumbered 2v1 at the start of the move. And by huge hole in defence, are you talking about the area with 2 United players, Bailly and Pogba, to cover 1 Fulham player? Of course, don’t let that detail get in the way of a good story.
I do agree with you, not sure why you replied on my post. I am not blaming Maguire on that one, its everyone behind him because they can see what is happening and failed to react.

Zen86

I do agree with you, not sure why you replied on my post. I am not blaming Maguire on that one, its everyone behind him because they can see what is happening and failed to react.
I didn’t mean to quote you, just my phone messing about!

romufc

I didn’t mean to quote you, just my phone messing about!
Fair enough, but agree its too easy to blame Maguire because fans know alot of others will jump on the bandwagon. Its just easy to blame Maguire because he cost £80m.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Fred is the midfielder covering the left side of the pitch so it's his responsibility to help Shaw in the event of a overload. Maguire as the CB cannot vacate his space and press wide with Fred in position. So Maguire leaving his space opened us up to the ball over the top which obviously could've been covered by players you mention but the initial mistake was by Maguire IMO.

But it's no big deal we won the game and hopefully we learn from our mistakes.
Maguire didn't leave a space. He picked up Shaw's man so Shaw could go pick up the wide man. As that happens Bailly should shift. Bailly is marking absolutely nobody and doesn't even look at Lookman. I understand that you have an agenda against Maguire but come on. This is all basic stuff

Verminator

Maguire didn't leave a space. He picked up Shaw's man so Shaw could go pick up the wide man. As that happens Bailly should shift. Bailly is marking absolutely nobody and doesn't even look at Lookman. I understand that you have an agenda against Maguire but come on. This is all basic stuff
Do you just go around threads, telling anybody who criticises Maguire, they "have an agenda"?
Because, you know what that makes you?
Someone with an agenda. :lol:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Mark Goldbridge innit. :lol:

Alemar

Wasn’t Maguire used to often score headers during his Leicester times? For national team
As well... what happened to this skill?

romufc

Do you just go around threads, telling anybody who criticises Maguire, they "have an agenda"?
Because, you know what that makes you?
Someone with an agenda. :lol:

To be fair to him Adnan has always criticised Maguire this season, been on here quick to criticise him, but never praised him considering he has put quite a few decent perfomances.

That is what you call an agenda.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
To be fair to him Adnan has always criticised Maguire this season, been on here quick to criticise him, but never praised him considering he has put quite a few decent perfomances.

That is what you call an agenda.
This is not true and my post history will attest to that. Maguire's a good player but I criticised the signing after learning about Solskjaer's method of playing the game.

romufc

This is not true and my post history will attest to that. Maguire's a good player but I criticised the signing after learning about Solskjaer's method of playing the game.
This season, if you look back, its all about how he lacks pace, 1 v 1 etc.

Does Henderson or Fabinho have pace? No. Liverpool still manage to play a high line. This is because their midfield and attack dont let the defence exposed often.

Sometimes the way we press the ball is naive which allows teams to play through us exposing our CB's.

Redlyn

Bailly's fault mainly imo he should have just gone for the block than trying to play offside. As that situation developed he was in prime position to snuff it out but just let the guy run.

Verminator

Nope, just people like you who do have an obvious agenda
How is my agenda obvious?
How many posts do I have in this thread?
How many are negative?

I have said before, that having someone dependably fit like Maguire, is worth his odd mistake, and that I don't care about the price paid, because he is always there, unlike Jones, Rojo and Smalling.

Shouting "Agenda!" at anyone with a dissenting opinion, will not do you any favours.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Bailly's fault mainly imo he should have just gone for the block than trying to play offside. As that situation developed he was in prime position to snuff it out but just let the guy run.
it was an accumulation of errors. First Harry got attracted towards the ball. (Really bad mistake). Then Bailly saw the gap appear but didn’t try to close it. (Really bad mistake). Meanwhile AWB was looking across the line and fell asleep (really bad mistake). All equally to blame and probably wouldn’t have happened later in the game when everyone was into the match and properly switched on. Very basic stuff from all three and should not happen.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
This season, if you look back, its all about how he lacks pace, 1 v 1 etc.

Does Henderson or Fabinho have pace? No. Liverpool still manage to play a high line. This is because their midfield and attack dont let the defence exposed often.

Sometimes the way we press the ball is naive which allows teams to play through us exposing our CB's.
I would say Henderson and Fabinho are both quick enough as emergency CBs.

Our press can't be effective if we don't push forward as a collective to close the space. Which we don't do, due to defending deep against the bigger teams. But I feel Ole is working to change that and the likes of Ducker, Whitwell etc have reported that he still wants a CB who can single handedly thwart counters when the fullbacks are caught upfield. So my opinions are formed around what I believe Solskjaer wants to implement going forward. That doesn't mean Maguire couldn't work in that system because he has attributes that would be useful to enforce a press.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
it was an accumulation of errors. First Harry got attracted towards the ball. (Really bad mistake). Then Bailly saw the gap appear but didn’t try to close it. (Really bad mistake). Meanwhile AWB was looking across the line and fell asleep (really bad mistake). All equally to blame and probably wouldn’t have happened later in the game when everyone was into the match and properly switched on. Very basic stuff from all three and should not happen.
Nailed it..

Foxbatt

I don't blame Maguire. Pogba was already pointing out Lookman to Bailly who completely ignores it and suddenly decided to play the offside trap. Ole said in his post match that we don't do offsides. If Bailly went to Lookman then they would not have scored.

tob

So you reckon that every time an attacker is in a position 30 yards from goal, turned towards his own goal, that it's a position that is so threatening that a centre half has to disrupt the entire defensive shape and leave a 20 yard hole in defence? What would've happened if Maguire had just stayed in his own position? The through ball wouldn't have been possible for an immediate 1v1 with out goalkeeper and the guy that Maguire went to shut down would've received the ball while turned away from our goal 30 yards out and Fred could've easily put pressure on him.

I agree that Bailly should have reacted once Maguire went walkabout and not doing so is a mistake. But: if Maguire hadn't disrupted the entire defensive shape to mark a guy 30 yards from goal who would have received the ball while turned away from our goal (and who could've easily been picked up by Fred upon receiving the ball), then nobody would've had to react to anything. So to hold Bailly mainly responsible for the goal when Maguire's pointless little expedition forces Bailly, Pogba and AWB to react is beyond me. Surely, if Maguire doesn't make a poor decision then nobody else has to react to anything.

In any normal situation, if player A makes a mistake and players B, C and D fail to react to that bizarre decision to just abandon the entire shape, people would say that player A's mistake is the main one leading to a goal.

If Bailly had gone up to pressure a player in a CDM position and left a gaping hole for Maguire to cover, people on here wouldn't have been blaming Maguire, that's for sure.

I'm kind of late to the party, but I 100% agree with these. Can't see why anyone wouldn't. The danger is behind the defensive line, not in front of it.
When I saw this happening I was yelling at Maguire for moving out from his position and leaving space behind him to be exploit. Both Wan-Bissaka and Bailly should've done better after that, but this goal never happens if Maguire just stays central.

Redlyn

Wow people still moaning on about a goal conceded in a victory. How to enjoy football Caf style :nervous:
You are free to stay on the Everything is Awesome thread while others do what people do in a forum ... discuss the good and the bad.

He'sRaldo

Wow people still moaning on about a goal conceded in a victory. How to enjoy football Caf style :nervous:
Problem is there's a group of people who will never admit it when Maguire makes a mistake, hence there's always bickering in this thread. Whereas it should end with an honest "made one mistake but was otherwise solid, good game"

The bickering makes it seem worse than it actually is.

Alfie092

I was 50/50 on him when he signed but in recent times he has been very good for us.

Very good when it comes to defensive headers but when it comes to heading at the other end of the pitch he needs to improve on that! He is amazing at winning the ball in the air, imagine if he was to convert at least 4-5 of those into goals per season, those points gained from his headed goals could be vital!

A-man

I am a Bailly fan tbh, I don't hate Lindelof either but I do think we need another top quality CB to partner Maguire.

Don't you think Ole has got it right in the past month with his team selections?

Against Liverpool Lindelof came back in, was suited to that game. Even in some games where he plays Telles, Matic etc...

He is alot better at squad rotation at the moment IMO.
I think Ole is doing the right thing, especially since Bailly shouldn’t play too much with his injury record, and Lindelof is having problems with his back. And in most other positions as well, except AWB, Maguire and Bruno. I hope he dares to rotate them as well because we need them to the end of this season.

Maguire likes to push forward and is by far the best CB we have at winning back the ball. He needs someone to cover for him and Lindelof has been doing that very well. I think they work well as a unit. They are both calmer with the ball under pressure and both are better in the box imo. Bailly has some other advantages but for me it is not enough to make him permanent starter.

Teja

I don't know enough about defending to say if that movement from Maguire was correct or not but when we play against formations with 5 at the back, our Fullbacks don't quite seem to know who they should be marking.

Our 3 midfielders will track their corresponding opposite 3 midfielders (say, in a 5-3-2). So Fred cannot go and press the WB there because that'll leave a man open. The opposition's right forward will drift wide right behind our LB. The opposition wing back will push up to be almost in a position where the winger is. So now Shaw is caught in a 2v1 - does he go press their wing back? Or does he stick to the striker? In this case he went and pressed the wing back and Maguire had to step up and cover the striker.

The Jose approach to this problem will be to have the LW track back but then you have no outlet and you're under the cosh a bit. The Arteta (attacking) variation on this when they're playing 5-3-2, is to not only push the WB + Striker into that area, but also have Tierney who is their LCB bomb forward and add yet another player there.

Last edited:

Zen86

Fair enough, but agree its too easy to blame Maguire because fans know alot of others will jump on the bandwagon. Its just easy to blame Maguire because he cost £80m.
Its a mixture of him being £80m and him not being very exotic. There’s an odd anti-English agenda for some on here, which is strange considering United are an English club.

Zen86

Problem is there's a group of people who will never admit it when Maguire makes a mistake, hence there's always bickering in this thread. Whereas it should end with an honest "made one mistake but was otherwise solid, good game"

The bickering makes it seem worse than it actually is.
:lol: A truly twisted take on this thread, but hey that’s agendas for you.

Eternitiy

Its a mixture of him being £80m and him not being very exotic. There’s an odd anti-English agenda for some on here, which is strange considering United are an English club.
Maguire has been a good addition. He's not perfect, he never will be. However, the statistic that he played the most minutes in world football in 2020 did not surprise me. Incredible fitness levels and usually very solid in defence. He can make errors, his lack of pace can sometimes be an issue, but overall he's far from a problem and one of the most reliable players you could hope to find.

He'sRaldo

:lol: A truly twisted take on this thread, but hey that’s agendas for you.
I barely post in this thread mate.

But in any case, if you know you're not one of the afforementioned then nothing to fear, and no need to pop out the green smilies.

Status
Not open for further replies.