Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

lex talionis

That was never his mistake to make. People rated him while at Leicester, but unlike with Pogba, Maguire was never seen as a generational-type of player. As far as I'm concerned he has improved his overall game since joining, and he should be given the benefit of the doubt regarding his price. Our board decided to spend record-breaking money on a decent+ player and that's what we got. Absurdly enough, people will see the foolishly high transfer-fee and recognize it as foolishly high only to somehow put the blame on the player instead of the board, as if 2+2=3. Thank god our fanbase is starting to recognize Maguire as an important asset regardless of how much money United transferred into Leicester's bank account that one summer.
I completely agree, but was just pointing out why there are so many Maguire haters in the fan base. Had he cost us only 40m the haters would accept the occasional mistake, which has undoubtedly made, that for many is unacceptable for an 80m acquisition.

I don't care whether we spend 8m or 800m on a player, so long as whatever we spend on a player allows us to address areas of need within the squad. A case in point is Sancho, whom we decided wasn't worth 108m (can't be sure of the exact number now) and that's ok. Maybe the board had the cash and decided that they weren't going to be held hostage or maybe they didn't have the cash because of other cash outlays for players like Maguire and then Van De Beek. I have no idea, but what I do know is that we have one of the better CBs in the Premier League and he's a consistently very good servant of the club and I don't really care how much flew out of the pockets of the Glazers to fund the transfer. He's here now and while no player is above criticism, I agree that he should be given the benefit of the doubt, whenever a doubt a arises.

When a bonehead mistake is made, on the other hand, it's open season. I think that's fair.

Devil may care

I thought maybe he was going to have his Steve Bruce moment against the other half of Sheffield, wasn't to be.

Sylar

Good to see him score a goal for us, but of course it had to happen when we lose

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Couldn't believe the state of that defending, but he's MotM because everyone else was so bad and he scored a fine header. Nice one H.

MattofManchester

He was decent amongst a bad bunch.

But. For the love of God, stop taking so many touches. Just release it. So much time for Sheffield to pack the defense and organize.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
He's building up a bit of a catalogue of "why are you inside your own box dangerously passing it to the keeper?" clips isn't he.

Red00012

He could have knocked it for a corner and DDG could have kicked it in the stands.

DDG more at fault I guess but still didn’t look great .

kundalini

Scored a header from a corner.

Probably should have left it to Axel to clear the cross in the build-up to their 2nd goal. Passing back to De Gea puts him in a tricky situation where he is focused on avoiding kicking the ball into Maguire, with the risk of it rebounding into the net.

Giggs' right foot

The dicking around with the ball at the back gets on my tits
I hate it with every fibre of my body. It’s not like we have Neuer in goal and Ramos and Piqué ahead of him who all pass like a decent midfielder. We’re so very uneasy and uncomfortable and it’s the rarest occasion that we’re able to pass our way into a great attack, from our goal.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
He was alright. Cant be good to keep continually playing with a new partner every other damn game.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
He was alright and he’s been good the last few months. I’m glad he finally scored a header. I think he’ll get a few more before the season is over. if we are to keep up we are going to have to win ugly a lot and scrappy set piece goals are important and we need players who will at least stand up to be counted. These lads should be having an easy night back in defence with our attack just being way too good for a team like Sheffield United but it’s clear the attack isn’t really working out these days.

Last edited:

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I think it's a bit harsh to blame him in the goal we conceded. He's stretching just to get a touch to stop the ball getting past him, and then why would he (when facing towards our own goal) override the goalkeeper when it's going straight to him. If he had taken a second touch and kicked it out for the corner and we conceded from that we'd be blaming him for not letting De Gea clear it properly.

Ludens the Red

Played way too deep today and it made it easy for Sheff Utd to come out. Needs to be more confident in his defending in and around the halfway line. I feel like he’s too scared he’ll get done on the counter. Even against trash like tonight.

A-man

I think he was out of position at some times, which gave them some opportunities. Overall he was fine and add a goal to that, his overall performance was the best in the team. My Man of the match.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
He's missed way too many good chances at corners but I must say he really is phenomenal to got on the end of corners, especially the ones from our left hand side.

I'm calling it, next season he'll score 8 goals.

I'm not really sure though why we bother having all our other players in the box, they're not doing anything except maybe Pogba. They could just as well all hang back in case of a counter attack, in the off chance of Harry not connecting with the corner. :smirk:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Well it’s hardly his fault, I think it’s the instructions to keep possession.
I know it’s instructions as they persist with doing it every bloody match. I’m just saying that I hate it as our players take too many risks. We give the ball away a lot

AFC NimbleThumb

Park the fee, it’s not my money.

He’s meant to be our best CB, which he is but also our captain & leader; him playing well in a silo is all well & good but he can’t marshal a defence.

Players around him will make mistakes & he can’t be everywhere but your best CB generally has to cover for the other defenders at some point - look at the defenders we surrounded Rio with at times, Terry was subject to the rotating door policy at Chelsea etc.

Individual errors by our defenders, including Maguire himself, are all too frequent - he’s the mainstay/common denominator.

Andersons Dietician

Glad he got his goal. Hopefully more of those to come given how many he’s missed recently. Broke the duct. As for the game I thought he was kind of average, did some really weird things. Like when Ampadu is running where on earth is Maguire going. Why hasn’t he started a run to match Amapadu so he can just step across and take the ball off him. Weird defending. It seems to take him an age to realise Ampadu is even running at them.

There was another occasion he just went for a wonder and I had no idea where he was going.

Bristol_Red_87

Glad he got his goal. Hopefully more of those to come given how many he’s missed recently. Broke the duct. As for the game I thought he was kind of average, did some really weird things. Like when Ampadu is running where on earth is Maguire going. Why hasn’t he started a run to match Amapadu so he can just step across and take the ball off him. Weird defending. It seems to take him an age to realise Ampadu is even running at them.

There was another occasion he just went for a wonder and I had no idea where he was going.
Someone is going to drop the video from Chelsea at Wembley in here, aren't they?

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Park the fee, it’s not my money.

He’s meant to be our best CB, which he is but also our captain & leader; him playing well in a silo is all well & good but he can’t marshal a defence.

Players around him will make mistakes & he can’t be everywhere but your best CB generally has to cover for the other defenders at some point - look at the defenders we surrounded Rio with at times, Terry was subject to the rotating door policy at Chelsea etc.

Individual errors by our defenders, including Maguire himself, are all too frequent - he’s the mainstay/common denominator.
He is our best, no two ways about it. But that isn't really saying much to be honest.

Heinzesight

Did a Harry Kane special in the end and almost injured himself. Should have been sent-off too. Really poor today.
Lacazette did exactly the same moments before. It’s the Harry Kane signature move and it’s such a shithouse thing to do.

Ludens the Red

He was fine today. Got tight to people for once. Even though he gave away some fouls his job as captain and centre back should be to set the tone.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I thought some hate a CB that grabbing players. See no comment again on this. Hmm..

And why the heck he always looked like he's gonna cry, every time he talked to the ref. You are Manchester United captain, ged dang it.

Irwin99

Had a tough battle but stopped a certain Arsenal goal with a vital block. No chance De Gea was getting to that.

Hope his back is ok.

kundalini

Important block from Pepe's shot early in the 2nd half. At least two uncomfortable moments, the foul just outside our area, leading to Lacazette's free-kick that hit the bar, and the foul for which he was booked.

Sylar

He played well but think he gives a few daft free kicks away. Like the one which lead to lacazette hitting the bar. Think it was an unnecessary foul given the position lacazette was in and with lindelof being back too

Status
Not open for further replies.