Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skills

Snitch
Is Calvert Lewin even quick? It was strange watching him just pull away from Maguire so easily for the first

b20times

Still not good enough for the club. Where was he at the front where Shaw was challenging the ball coming in?
Instead he's stood with one arm up looking like simple Simon looking for offside.

Wayne's World

Strip the captain's armband off him, give it to Bruno and send this cnut on the bench and line up a CB in the summer

Useless wanker

starman

This is a screenshot of the first part of the play, if you actually post a shot of the second part with the flick on, MCT is actually the last man. Also the guy (think its AWB) should have been winning that header that was flicked on.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
Strip the captain's armband off him, give it to Bruno and send this cnut on the bench and line up a CB in the summer

Useless wanker
You think our club actually uses their brain? We are clueless. Ole needs to swallow his stupid ego and get rid of him in the summer or this turtle will cost him his job.

mu4c_20le

He had a few yards on CDL and I thought he would just mop it up - next thing I see them on the attack...and no contrary to the original poster’s belief, Maguire did not force CDL out wide, he ran into the space that was available. Everyone can see that Maguire and Lindelof are too slow to defend a high line against pacy attacks yet Ole does it time and time again. As Einstein said only a fool does the same thing twice expecting a different result...
DCL completely ignored him as if he wasn't there. The only reason he isn't rinsed was because DDG was even worse, yet if this exact sequence happened to Liverpool, we'd be laughing our arses off at VVD.

Ludens the Red

A laughing smiley, how mature.

By your logic everyone is partly at fault, for losing the ball, allowing the pass, not shouting enough (because you seem to view shouting as more important than the actual defending), missing headers and tackles, etc.

No defender will stop every shot, sometimes you have to make it as difficult as possible - that's why DCL scuffed it, and left a nice simple save that DDG messed up. The second and third were down to poor marking by the players actually marking the goalscorers, Fred and Tuanzebe.
I found it funny you said he wasn’t at fault for any of the goals. You’re not allowed to use ‘lol’ on here so I used a smilie.

Hes the captain, the leader of the defence, the whole point of him is to take responsibility for our defending. He doesn’t, we concede the same type of goals over and over again. So obviously our defenders are going to be looked at. In particular the central pair. Of course you can trace any goal back to a misplaced ticket or pass further up the field but that is daft logic to use when assessing your centre backs on goals conceded. You look at their behaviour and their defending , and for all three goals Maguire wasn’t good enough which is common. We have the worse defensive record in the top half of the table and a lot of it is to do with Harry Maguire.

To be fair he might have done.

But then this would imply Lindelöf and Maguire actually communicate with each other during a game of football.
:lol:

I mean the stadium is empty, so you’d hear it. I didn’t hear a peep. But knowing Harry, he probably asked politely in a soft tone as opposed to shouting “fecking leave it”.

The Hilton

He had a few yards on CDL and I thought he would just mop it up - next thing I see them on the attack...and no contrary to the original poster’s belief, Maguire did not force CDL out wide, he ran into the space that was available. Everyone can see that Maguire and Lindelof are too slow to defend a high line against pacy attacks yet Ole does it time and time again. As Einstein said only a fool does the same thing twice expecting a different result...
Hi, original poster here.

Look at the position DCL was in, wide with a terrible angle. DCL is faster than Maguire, no argument, but no goalkeeper should be getting beaten from there.

Silverman

Do people still think he's not good enough or would a quick CB to partner him be enough?
I think he's been good the last number of weeks but again he just doesn't strike me as a leader.

RooneyLegend

That's a heavy exaggeration, he's clearly better than any of the defenders you mentioned. He's not in the VVD or Diaz (on current form) tier, but he's in the one below. There is a decent drop between the tiers admittedly.

I'd say the last goal is mostly on Tuanzebe, he was marking DCL and left him, after giving away the free kick stupidly as well.
What makes him clearly better than that bunch? His price?

Asger

How did he get so overrated? He joined Leicester after they won the League, Leicester defence better before him and after he left.

The Hilton

I found it funny you said he wasn’t at fault for any of the goals. You’re not allowed to use ‘lol’ on here so I used a smilie.

Hes the captain, the leader of the defence, the whole point of him is to take responsibility for our defending. He doesn’t, we concede the same type of goals over and over again. So obviously our defenders are going to be looked at. In particular the central pair. Of course you can trace any goal back to a misplaced ticket or pass further up the field but that is daft logic to use when assessing your centre backs on goals conceded. You look at their behaviour and their defending , and for all three goals Maguire wasn’t good enough which is common. We have the worse defensive record in the top half of the table and a lot of it is to do with Harry Maguire.
It's still a childish emoji, makes your post adversarial rather than respectfully disagreeing.

You talk about blaming misplaced passes being daft logic, and yet try to justify blaming Maguire for everyone else's mistakes because "he should be shouting" which will somehow magically make Tuanzebe not rubbish at the end.

Quite simply, you're looking for reasons for this to be his fault to push an agenda, rather than blaming the players who were culpable for the goals.

Asger

Do people still think he's not good enough or would a quick CB to partner him be enough?
I think he's been good the last number of weeks but again he just doesn't strike me as a leader.
Can’t we then say Lindelof would be good with quick defender to partner him as well?

RooneyLegend

He's not good enough if we aim to be a top side.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Here we are, talking about getting someone who's fast to cover for the weakness of the United captain who we brought for £80m. Pathetic stuff

Anustart89

An £80m defender who automatically comes with the necessity to buy a partner to compensate for his lack of pace. Not his fault, mind you, but not a good indictment on the club's decision to spend so much on him.

always_hoping

Never understood why he was given the captains armband then again United have had some odd choices for captain since Ferguson retired.

Poor, poor game tonight.

Think he’s our best CB but not by much, which is quite damning for an £80m defender, even though the fee isn’t his fault.

The amount of goals we’ve conceded this season shows that he’s been far from great since his arrival. Think he’ll improve but needs a world-class, speedy defender beside him to cover for his lack of place.

Disappointing that another CB is still needed after breaking the transfer record for a defender.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
That "foul" that wasn't called for him pissed me off and summed him up basically. Maybe it was a foul, maybe it wasn't (i think it would have been a soft one if given), but it's not the point. He had plenty of time to deal with it, yet he held on to it (like he always fecking does) and went down very easy looking for a foul.

The thing is in that situation, you're putting all your hope on the referee to save your blushes instead of just dealing with the situation when you had ample opportunity to do so.

Ludens the Red

It's still a childish emoji, makes your post adversarial rather than respectfully disagreeing.

You talk about blaming misplaced passes being daft logic, and yet try to justify blaming Maguire for everyone else's mistakes because "he should be shouting" which will somehow magically make Tuanzebe not rubbish at the end.

Quite simply, you're looking for reasons for this to be his fault to push an agenda, rather than blaming the players who were culpable for the goals.
Worse defence in the top half, Maguire plays every game. Leicester fans are till this day delighted they got 80 million for him. Pretty much most fans outside of United don’t rate Maguire. At this point saying my criticism is an agenda is nonsense.

I didn’t even blame him for everyone else’s mistakes, my point was he contributed to the goals by defending poorly for all of them. Tuanzebe, Lindelof and DeGea are also to blame. But in case you haven’t noticed, this is the Maguire thread. If you look in the degea thread you will notice me moaning about him too and also Lindelof in the Maguire/Lindelof partnership thread.

I didn’t even mention the fact he played Everton onside for that last goal and stuck his hand up to say it was up. He’s just generally a pretty rubbish defender far too many times for my liking. He literally offers no command in that defence. Too passive when defending set pieces, doesn’t attack ground balls, shits himself anytime he gets in one on one race.

This is the 4th time this season I’ve rated him a 2 or below in the match day thread. I didn’t even do this for Jesse Lingard. Today, RBL, Tottenham, Palace, it’s just not even close to being good enough for a player in his position. If pointing that out means I have an agenda so be it.

Deery

Dreary
The most expensive centre back in the world shouldn’t have many flaws in his game. He’s not a bad player but really quite average and I don’t see him getting any better. We need to buy a world class defender again which was what Maguire was supposed to be it’s really quite disappointing and to be honest if that is the case then Maguire has been a flop.

The Hilton

Worse defence in the top half, Maguire plays every game. Leicester fans are till this day delighted they got 80 million for him. Pretty much most fans outside of United don’t rate Maguire. At this point saying my criticism is an agenda is nonsense.

I didn’t even blame him for everyone else’s mistakes, my point was he contributed to the goals by defending poorly for all of them. Tuanzebe, Lindelof and DeGea are also to blame. But in case you haven’t noticed, this is the Maguire thread. If you look in the degea thread you will notice me moaning about him too and also Lindelof in the Maguire/Lindelof partnership thread.

I didn’t even mention the fact he played Everton onside for that last goal and stuck his hand up to say it was up. He’s just generally a pretty rubbish defender far too many times for my liking. He literally offers no command in that defence. Too passive when defending set pieces, doesn’t attack ground balls, shits himself anytime he gets in one on one race.

This is the 4th time this season I’ve rated him a 2 or below in the match day thread. I didn’t even do this for Jesse Lingard. Today, RBL, Tottenham, Palace, it’s just not even close to being good enough for a player in his position. If pointing that out means I have an agenda so be it.
He didn't defend poorly today, as a team we only gave up 3 shots on target.

At the end it was Keane who got the knockdown, who was played onside by 6 players.

Rating him a 2 or below simply isn't close to accurate, nonsense as you put it. I'll accept it as hyperbole rather than agenda driven if you rated the rest of our defence as badly and DDG worse (except for Shaw as he picked up an assist).

As for your other examples, who was good enough against Spurs or Palace (who were clearly fitter)? RBL the same.

Valencia Shin Crosses

He's way too limited to be in a top side that looks to dominate games. He shined in lower level teams that generally sat back and hit on the break, where he could just sit near his own box and head out cross after cross (something he does very well). But when he's required to defend near the half way line, both athletically and positionally he's just out of his depth. People always come back to his pace but he's shown continually that he really isn't great at holding positions either (just look at Everton's 3rd goal). On top of that he's a mediocre player on ball that fancies himself as something much more, and you get a player that's way more of a liability in certain situations than someone with perhaps more "highlight" worthy mistakes like Bailly or Smalling ever was.

Maguire gets away with not being the spot of criticism because he plays not to screw up, instead of challenging and risk getting embarrassed. He got rinsed on the sprint against DCL, but he backed off so much to allow the shot that it was DDG that really got the blame. The second goal was just cowardice by him and Lindelof, both of whom made piss poor efforts to actually block the shot. Maguire pulled out so much you'd think he had a photoshoot afterwards, and it was fecking embarrassing watching our captain do that after seeing Bailly make the same block with no regards to our health just a few weeks ago.

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.

At the end it was Keane who got the knockdown, who was played onside by 6 players.

Rating him a 2 or below simply isn't close to accurate, nonsense as you put it. I'll accept it as hyperbole rather than agenda driven if you rated the rest of our defence as badly and DDG worse (except for Shaw as he picked up an assist).

As for your other examples, who was good enough against Spurs or Palace (who were clearly fitter)? RBL the same.
Giving up 3 shots on target is irrelevant when the £80,000,000 man was responsible for goals against us.

Ludens the Red

First bolded is actually quite astonishing to read. He was poor, there’s no getting around it. Secondly , it says a lot that we gave up so few chances that they managed to covert all of them. None were from particularly great football or worldiesz all avoidable if Harry and his fellow gimps (degea and Lindelof mainly) did their jobs.

the second bolded. I think if you Have to defend a player by saying something along the lines of “he wasn’t as terrible as the others” or the others were equally as bad then you’re on the wrong side of the discussion.

Ludens the Red

He's way too limited to be in a top side that looks to dominate games. He shined in lower level teams that generally sat back and hit on the break, where he could just sit near his own box and head out cross after cross (something he does very well). But when he's required to defend near the half way line, both athletically and positionally he's just out of his depth. People always come back to his pace but he's shown continually that he really isn't great at holding positions either (just look at Everton's 3rd goal). On top of that he's a mediocre player on ball that fancies himself as something much more, and you get a player that's way more of a liability in certain situations than someone with perhaps more "highlight" worthy mistakes like Bailly or Smalling ever was.

Maguire gets away with not being the spot of criticism because he plays not to screw up, instead of challenging and risk getting embarrassed. He got rinsed on the sprint against DCL, but he backed off so much to allow the shot that it was DDG that really got the blame. The second goal was just cowardice by him and Lindelof, both of whom made piss poor efforts to actually block the shot. Maguire pulled out so much you'd think he had a photoshoot afterwards, and it was fecking embarrassing watching our captain do that after seeing Bailly make the same block with no regards to our health just a few weeks ago.
Absolutely spot on this bit. Could not have summed up his defensive style any better .

Mr Smith

This is a screenshot of the first part of the play, if you actually post a shot of the second part with the flick on, MCT is actually the last man. Also the guy (think its AWB) should have been winning that header that was flicked on.
That's not the point though. If Maguire had been in line with the rest of the team, the second ball wouldn't matter.

AgentSmith

Who knew having two white as bread CB's would be slow as shit? Wesley Snipes was right, but it ain't jumpin' that's the problem. :lol:
So if we’d had white as bread Dias and Laporte as our CBs we’d have been in equal trouble?

Laughable post if not for the stupidly unnecessary connotations.

hobbers

The problem isn't so much that he's physically slow it's that his mind is slow.

Gotta be one of the most reactive CBs i've ever seen. At least playing for a top level team. Always floundering and always backtracking.

It's hard to tell if he's as gutless as Lindelof is, or if it only appears that way because it takes his brain that little bit longer to process what he should be doing.

Hoof the ball

So if we’d had white as bread Dias and Laporte as our CBs we’d have been in equal trouble?

Laughable post if not for the stupidly unnecessary connotations.
So you disagree that caucasians in general have a proportionately lower amount of type IIa muscle fibres in their body as opposed to their non-caucasian counterparts? That this doesn't have an impact on sport performance in key areas related to speed and acceleration, which are key and crucial physical requirements for defending against opponents with superior physical advantages?

Status
Not open for further replies.