Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grande

So you disagree that caucasians in general have a proportionately lower amount of type IIa muscle fibres in their body as opposed to their non-caucasian counterparts? That this doesn't have an impact on sport performance in key areas related to speed and acceleration, which are key and crucial physical requirements for defending with a high line?
Who the feck wants to drag race theory into this? I know who usually does it, but still.

Eddy_JukeZ

Leicester have completely mugged us off for the price.

If we had VVD instead of Maguire, we'd probably be clear of City in 1st right now.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
So you disagree that caucasians in general have a proportionately lower amount of type IIa muscle fibres in their body as opposed to their non-caucasian counterparts? That this doesn't have an impact on sport performance in key areas related to speed and acceleration, which are key and crucial physical requirements for defending against opponents with superior physical advantages?
:lol:

Cloud7

How did he get so overrated? He joined Leicester after they won the League, Leicester defence better before him and after he left.
It was that world cup in 2018 where he scored those headers for England, and looked like a decent enough defender. His reputation skyrocketed after that.

DOTA

It was that world cup in 2018 where he scored those headers for England, and looked like a decent enough defender. His reputation skyrocketed after that.
That helped a lot but he was rated very highly at Hull.

AgentSmith

So you disagree that caucasians in general have a proportionately lower amount of type IIa muscle fibres in their body as opposed to their non-caucasian counterparts? That this doesn't have an impact on sport performance in key areas related to speed and acceleration, which are key and crucial physical requirements for defending against opponents with superior physical advantages?
Please don’t try and elaborate on this viewpoint further. It doesn’t need or deserve any more analysis.

RC89

I'm glad it's being highlighted today. Recently he's been a lot better with holding the line, but last season, he would regularly play everyone onside and no pundits would ever call him out on it.

The fact that he's by default better than Lindelof and Bailly just shows how biased the media can be when it comes to an English player.

RC89

I don't think many hate him, even those who criticize him. "Hate" is a pretty strong word to use for your team's player. I'm just annoyed that he can have several very good matches then when he's off form, he's really off form. he drops stinkers when it happens and unfortunately, seems to cost us every time.
I hate him and his £3 haircut

RC89

Did he have a good game? I don’t know to be honest, I don’t think he had a bad game, much the same as many of our players but he wasn’t at fault for us dropping points in my view.

I’m probably fighting a losing battle based on the overwhelming majorities view in this thread, I think it’s so easy to come on here and criticise him as being the problem because of the amount we paid for him and being captain, the problems lay elsewhere from where I’m at watching.
So his playing the entire Everton team onside had no part to play in us conceding the final goal? His lack of speed had nothing to do with us conceding the second?

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Can’t we then say Lindelof would be good with quick defender to partner him as well?
You can say that. It's debatable which one has been better over the last 18 months.

Maguire was probably a little better before lockdown, although it was close.
Lindelof was certainly better between lockdown and the end of last season.
Lindelof was certainly better at the start of this season.
Maguire has been better for the last 2 months or so.

Maguire's good games are better Lindelof's, but he tends to also have more poor games. Overall they average out quite evenly. I guess the hope is that the correct partner will allow Maguire to have his good games more often and reduce his poor games, but if he doesn't show an improvement I'd be annoyed if Lindelof doesn't get a chance next to the new guy (if we get one).

Asger

hehe, yeah, maybe David Healy was WC after his international career ;)

DOTA

Maybe for a few posts, but it will quickly grow tedious. The tone of the post about muscle fibres doesn't suggest it would be a balanced and productive debate.
Take that stuff to the CE!
But people this clueless so rarely post in the CE.

The Hilton

Giving up 3 shots on target is irrelevant when the £80,000,000 man was responsible for goals against us.
He's responsible in the same way the entire team are, but he's not the one mainly at fault for any of them. Those honours go to DDG, and Tuanzebe, both of whom had howlers.

The Hilton

First bolded is actually quite astonishing to read. He was poor, there’s no getting around it. Secondly , it says a lot that we gave up so few chances that they managed to covert all of them. None were from particularly great football or worldiesz all avoidable if Harry and his fellow gimps (degea and Lindelof mainly) did their jobs.

the second bolded. I think if you Have to defend a player by saying something along the lines of “he wasn’t as terrible as the others” or the others were equally as bad then you’re on the wrong side of the discussion.
No, being on the side of rationality and apportioning blame on merit rather than bias is definitely the right side of the discussion in my book.

Anyway, we're never going to agree on this, for you Maguire is the main culprit tonight, and for me he's far from it. I'm gonna leave it at that, hope you enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Chief123

When Maguire is on form, he’s ok. Nothing exceptional. Nothing outstanding.

When he is bad, he is really bad.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Unfortunately, our defence (him included) will be the biggest obstacle for us this season. Don't think we'll ever win the league with him as our leader, first choice CB.

Red_toad

I await the break through of Asian sprinters, seeing how they now have an advantage no one had known of previously.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
When he kept laying down after the ref didn't blow for the foul on him near the end. Hate him as our captain.

manunited1919

When he kept laying down after the ref didn't blow for the foul on him near the end. Hate him as our captain.
He was an idiot for looking for contact that way, and just shows how weak he is. He was absolutely looking for contact and went down on minimal contact. Although it was a foul, it was such a weak and bad decision to look for that contact. Moss was onto him and made him sweat it out. Had they scored, may be VAR would overturn. Or maybe not.

Hawks2008

We really paid 80m for this guy and gave him the captaincy because he's English and scored a goal at the world cup.

He is just an ogre we need better than the likes of him.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
Here we are, talking about getting someone who's fast to cover for the weakness of the United captain who we brought for £80m. Pathetic stuff
Exactly what I've been saying for months now. I remember telling people this guy was awful for us and needs to go and I was being labelled everything under the sun.

Said from day one he's not good enough, then gave him time to adjust and then was vindicated. This guy is not United material. He needs to go to Stoke or West Ham those are his type of teams.

We really paid 80m for this guy and gave him the captaincy because he's English and scored a goal at the world cup.

Sad.

No top club in world football would be having this guy start. Not Juventus, Madrid, Barcelona or Bayern... but for United he starts every single game and to throw the cherry on top he's captain.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He has his issues but having a goalkeeper that is able to come out of his line to make a save will make the space behind Maguire much smaller.

The defenders prefer playing with Romero to de Gea and it can be seen; there is almost an offside trap eith acres of space that we have no intention of playing because De Gea is not coming off his line.

jeepers

He as captain and leader of the backline should be doing a lot better to organise the defence. I did not watch the game, only the goal replays in the post match thread.

First goal: He could and should have intercepted the pass to Calvert-Lewin, but De Gea also did poorly.

Second goal: The entire defence should have pushed up after Lindelof’s header. Lindelof’s header was very poor, but perhaps he did not receive a call from Maguire to leave it.

Third goal: Defence was very poorly organised. Cavani, who is decent in the air, was marking nobody. Tuanzebe just ball watching - he could’ve reacted and affected the ball before it reached Calvert-Lewin. Defenders were on the wrong side of the Everton attackers. De Gea too slow off his line.

I’m unsure what our defensive coaching is like, but it seems like we aren’t set up well to defend set pieces (not just in this game).

NK86

Maybe we just need a better coach to help us improve our set piece defending. We really cannot let this continue if we have any intention to keep on improving. It's no longer just the players but our set up as we look hopeless every game and feels like we will concede from every set piece.

Maybe Ole should tell the Board to help him add another member to his coaching staff. Our defenders can definitely not be that bad.

RedStarUnited

lets for a second accept that he isnt playing them on. Why the hell is he right at the back of the Everton players and not in the middle of them?

An even clearer image is below. He is in no position to contest any headers.

MattyB1986

That world cup hype was the reason we got fleeced and blindfolded. I think that's pretty obvious. Yeah, the captain thing was always strange to me.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
He was an idiot for looking for contact that way, and just shows how weak he is. He was absolutely looking for contact and went down on minimal contact. Although it was a foul, it was such a weak and bad decision to look for that contact. Moss was onto him and made him sweat it out. Had they scored, may be VAR would overturn. Or maybe not.
Exactly its something you expect from a winger or someone slight. It was a foul but you expect a lot better from your cb. Add the price tag and the fact he is captain of one of the biggest clubs in the world and its embarrassing.

Snuffkin

He looked exhausted against Everton and should have admitted it. Ole needs to look at being proactive with subs

slored1

He's been decent this season, but there are still too many games where he's shit. Can't have that when you're worth 80 million pounds, there has to be more consistency.

Last edited:

Sylar

I don't get why he's so deep in his position. If you're deep like that you gotta be closer to the ball / near the Everton defenders so you can influence it if the ball drops there.
There's 1 Everton player behind him (which Scott can pick up) and four in front of him

Annoying

Devil81

He's not good enough, none of our Cb's are good enough if you ask me but he's obviously carrying the weight of the 80 million transfer fee round his neck.

When you look at what Liverpool and City got for less money you'd expect Maguire to be at Ferdinands level.

Ekeke

Played Calvert-Lewin onside, then didnt have the pace to track his run or intercept the pass. De Gea poor touch into Doucoure's path for 1st Everton goal. Joint effort with Lindelof to give James too much space inside the box for the 2nd goal, with an assist from Fred missing the ball as it came across. One of the CBs needs to be charging the shot down like their life depended on it and neither even cared enough to go to ground

3rd is Maguire playing Calvert-Lewin onside again

What a stinker

Status
Not open for further replies.