Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammondo

He is one of the best CBs in the air, he is very good and aggressive ball winner on the ground, good tackler and reader of the game.

Is it Maguire's fault that a pro RB can't seem to grasp how an offside trap is to be made? And all you mentioned is him not being good enough captain or leader, which is absolutely fine, since he doesn't seem to be any sort of leader, and him being slow, not the biggest crime in the world is it? He doesn't organize and control his defense and that's the biggest problem with him.

Now he really shouldn't be captain and it's best to be freed from that burden, but that last paragraph is bollocks. Just because he can win a header against a striker? Watch us play and maybe give a bit or retrospective view of where our defense was without him, and compare him to other CB options across the league. The guy is clearly a very very good CB, that is yes ENGLISH and paid 80m, the english media will obviously have bias towards their own players but the guys is getting crucified for every fecking goal we concede.
Hes not good at being aggressive. Hes very slow to react and turn and hes late to most things. Hes good at being in the general area he should be, but bad at doing much when hes there.

Hammondo

We got 89 points in successive seasons with Jonny Evans as effectively first choice CB (albeit only because Vidic's knee exploded). Maguire's some distance short of that level, which was already a downgrade on what we'd been used to in preceding seasons. In fact, I feel quite comfortable in saying that if you teleported Harry Maguire (current United captain) into our last title-winning team he'd be fifth choice (maybe even sixth, factoring in SAF's love affair with Phil Jones). Which is the problem, really, isn't it? We've spent hundreds of millions on CBs since Vidic and Ferdinand retired and we still don't have defenders any better than that pair's deputies.
Evans was very good, he had a bad patch in one season and seems to be only remembered for that.

I am pretty sure we broke the clean sheet record with him.

Infra-red

We're stuck with him for the long run so hopefully he can drastically improve.
I don't think we'll see much improvement - he'll be 28 next month so what we're witnessing at the moment is likely to be his "peak" years.

He's a big lump who can beat most people in the air - that's about it. He's not great, but he'd be a whole lot better if we didn't pair him with a slow/weak CB partner or a GK who's scared of the ball.

Robbie Boy

I don't think we'll see much improvement - he'll be 28 next month so what we're witnessing at the moment is likely to be his "peak" years.

He's a big lump who can beat most people in the air - that's about it. He's not great, but he'd be a whole lot better if we didn't pair him with a slow/weak CB partner or a GK who's scared of the ball.
I don't think we will either but we need a miracle as he ain't going anywhere anytime soon.

Infra-red

I don't think we will either but we need a miracle as he ain't going anywhere anytime soon.
We need an aggressive (and quick) CB and a GK who can command his area/sweep up in behind and we need them both to be in place for next season. If we can do that, Maguire won't seem like such a liability.

Anustart89

He is one of the best CBs in the air, he is very good and aggressive ball winner on the ground, good tackler and reader of the game.

Is it Maguire's fault that a pro RB can't seem to grasp how an offside trap is to be made? And all you mentioned is him not being good enough captain or leader, which is absolutely fine, since he doesn't seem to be any sort of leader, and him being slow, not the biggest crime in the world is it? He doesn't organize and control his defense and that's the biggest problem with him.

Now he really shouldn't be captain and it's best to be freed from that burden, but that last paragraph is bollocks. Just because he can win a header against a striker? Watch us play and maybe give a bit or retrospective view of where our defense was without him, and compare him to other CB options across the league. The guy is clearly a very very good CB, that is yes ENGLISH and paid 80m, the english media will obviously have bias towards their own players but the guys is getting crucified for every fecking goal we concede.
1) Good in the air, yes, I agree with that. But that doesn't really put him anywhere above the Tarkowski category, or pretty much any English centre half. He wins the ball well on the ground, but he's also very prone to get turned due to his aggressive style (and his lack of pace). As for reading the game, I'd say it's decent. I don't really see him snuffing out danger with positioning that often. He often goes walkabout which then others have to cover for.

2) I agree that AWB's the main culprit, and if you look at my comments you'll see that I've been plenty critical of AWB's inability to hold the line. But if you're the centre half and you've played with this right back for a year and a half, and he still can't hold the line, is it really a smart move to keep playing the offside trap? I mean, one would think that the centre half, and captain to boot, would lead the defence including when to play offside and ensure that everyone's with him before leaving a man unmarked in the middle of the pitch because he just 'assumes' that everyone's in on the plan. It's either that, or stopping with the offside trap since it's not working. But our captain and leader isn't the one getting the blame (AWB is), so he'll just keep doing what works for him and not what's best for the team (which is not conceding easy chances due to a poorly organised defence that is poorly organised despite playing together for two years without any injury disruptions). That doesn't strike me as someone who takes responsibility. It's the same with the Fulham goal. Maguire just decides that he's going to man-mark the guy that's turned away from goal 30 yards out and breaks the defensive shape. This forces Bailly and AWB to react, but since they don't do that in time a huge gap is open for Lookman to run into, and then it's everyone's fault except for Maguire's because they 'should've reacted'.

3) What Maguire gives us is an improved ability to play out from the back and a bunch of defensive mistakes which he doesn't take responsibility for. I just think that we could do a lot better than him, and need to do a lot better than him if we're to win any kind of serious titles. It's not only him though, Shaw's the only one out of the back 5 who is consistently performing at an acceptable level, yet there is some kind of national delusion that Maguire's doing everything he can but is held back by the oafs surrounding him, when he is very much one of them. He's just the most expensive and most English one, so is an obvious target for criticism since it's frustrating to see players being hailed as 'great', and 'best in the league' (which, even if it were true, wouldn't be saying much since there are two-three really good centre halves in the league) with all of these limitations. And it's equally frustrating to realise that he, due to his cost and being given the captaincy as soon as he walked through the door, will be the last one to be removed from the side despite an upgrade in his position (organiser, leader and pacy defender) would give us the biggest instant effect.

Hawks2008

Vidic and Rio needed each other to be dominant. All CBs need a good partner. Maguire and Lindelof just isn't strong enough.
All the 'Maguire needs a new partner' comments see is no better than the 'we need to sign x midfielder to unlock Pogba!' rehtoric, which was proven bs.

]Why do so many of you keep talking about the price as if we can just claim a refund and use that 80m again?

Maguire was overpriced, doesn't mean he shouldn't still be here.
It's not just about the money we spent, it's what that fee represents. We made him our guy, our leader, we gave him the captaincy and we put a massive amount of faith in him being a cornerstone of the team and to play a crucial role in future successes and he is falling very short of that mark. If that doesn't mean anything to you and you accept the standard of performance he has delivered since joining then I don't really know what else to say

bsCallout

All the 'Maguire needs a new partner' comments see is no better than the 'we need to sign x midfielder to unlock Pogba!' rehtoric, which was proven bs.

It's not just about the money we spent, it's what that fee represents. We made him our guy, our leader, we gave him the captaincy and we put a massive amount of faith in him being a cornerstone of the team and to play a crucial role in future successes and he is falling very short of that mark. If that doesn't mean anything to you and you accept the standard of performance he has delivered since joining then I don't really know what else to say
The price is irrelevant as is the explanation of why that matters. Maguire is the best of the players around him i.e. DDG, Fred & Lindelof. Once they're gone we can talk about upgrading Maguire. He's had a good season too.

Re your first point, they're not even close. One is about Maguire not having any quality around him, the other is about catering to a player so he can apparently 'shine'.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
A 80 m defender who needs a 800m partner so he will finally become good.

mosschopps

Anyone else noticed the amount of times he turns away or ducks when a shot/cross is put towards him? Supposed to be a man mountain of a defender, cant even block a shot with out falling over.

Hammondo

The price is irrelevant as is the explanation of why that matters. Maguire is the best of the players around him i.e. DDG, Fred & Lindelof. Once they're gone we can talk about upgrading Maguire. He's had a good season too.

Re your first point, they're not even close. One is about Maguire not having any quality around him, the other is about catering to a player so he can apparently 'shine'.
Shaw's much better than him, Fred is, and the others are a similar level.

bsCallout

Shaw's much better than him, Fred is, and the others are a similar level.
Shaw is, mind you where was he when Maguire got fouled against Everton near the end of the game when we are protecting the lead? In their final third.

Fred is nowhere near as good. Lost it there.

AFC NimbleThumb

Anyone got a link/video of his post match presser where as captain he fronts up for yet another defensive error? Or has our leader not made any form of public comment about his & the teams performance?

Lyng

True. One is a player who has at times been world class for us when he shines. The other one has yet to live up to a fraction of his price

bsCallout

True. One is a player who has at times been world class for us when he shines. The other one has yet to live up to a fraction of his price
Neither have been anywhere near thier price tag at any time.

AFC NimbleThumb

Neither have been anywhere near thier price tag at any time.
bsCallout.

Pogba’s off pitch value paid for most of his fee, aligned with being POTT in the last European trophy win & getting in the EPL TOTY when we finished 6th.

Has Pogba been the best midfielder to ever midfield no but when he cost £30mil more than Fred ffs he’s been more than worth every penny.

Back to Maguire; he’s yet to get anywhere near showing half that value. It’s a damning statement on this board that any kind of equivocation is being made between the 2 transfers/players.

Crashoutcassius

why are people so determined to hate him? why is there such a correlation between hating him and hating ole? is he the fellaini for ole, the poster boy for whatever ineptitude people are trying to get across

bsCallout

bsCallout.

Pogba’s off pitch value paid for most of his fee, aligned with being POTT in the last European trophy win & getting in the EPL TOTY when we finished 6th.

Has Pogba been the best midfielder to ever midfield no but when he cost £30mil more than Fred ffs he’s been more than worth every penny.

Back to Maguire; he’s yet to get anywhere near showing half that value. It’s a damning statement on this board that any kind of equivocation is being made between the 2 transfers/players.
This isn't about whether we've earned that money back. He hasn't played anywhere near the level you would expect for 90m + I don't care how much Fred cost, that's irrelevant. He was overpriced too.

Maguire has proved to be comfortably worth 40mil. Don't kid yourself.

eltigreFalcao

Maguire has flaws that I really don't see improving. He seems to give up the fight so easily. He really -really- can't run. He ducks away from shots and crosses. And most of all he is expected to do a lot of things he is incapable of, therefore the expectations always let him on the down side. I'm sorry he is being given such a prominent role, he would do much better being the 2nd CB, the one that compliments the more capable one.

It's really difficult for me to understand how many times the team looks to give the ball to him while we're trying to create and attacking play, while he has shown time and time again that he is non-reliable for creating attacking plays. A lot of flaws, I really don't rate Maguire and feel we're piling mistake after mistake with him, first throwing away that much money for him, now giving him a central role as if he is backbone material. He isn't

bsCallout

why are people so determined to hate him? why is there such a correlation between hating him and hating ole? is he the fellaini for ole, the poster boy for whatever ineptitude people are trying to get across
People can't see past the 80m and captaincy.

gza the genius

He needs to focus on what he's good at and stop the pointless dribbling up in to midfield he always seems to do. He's the captain, he's supposed to be the leader. Focus on keeping the defense organized and leave the rest to the midfielders and attackers.

dev1l

Thing is that if you take Maguire out of the equation we run out of fit centre backs - like Liverpool this season and to.a certain extend City last season.. He played almost every minute - inhumane numbers.
On the other hand, a number of cbs cited by the experts over here (like Upa and Konate) missed a considerable number of games. (As a side note, youtube videos don't tell you how much a player is injury prone)
So while he s not perfect at least he s ready for selection almost all the time.

Lentwood

I’m bored of talking Maguire every time we concede a few goals.

Jose desperately wanted Maguire and threw his toys out the pram when the club rebuffed him over the price. Guardiola wanted Maguire and has consistently praised him as a top CB. Southgate has made him an ever-present in the England side and Solskjaer made him his priority #1 signing and made him captain straight away.

The bloke tops our statistics for all of our regular defensive starters for clearances per game, blocks per game, interceptions per game, tackles per game, pressure leading to balls won per game...the list goes on

Soon as we concede three goals, none of which were his fault, the knives are out again.

As I have said elsewhere - imagine before the Everton game I tell you they will have three shots on target...do you deal on that? I imagine every single fan would have took that. It’s not Harry Maguire’s fault that our GK has the second worst save percentage in the league, sticks to his line like a table football goalkeeper and is scared of his own shadow!

Change the GK for a better shot-stopper and someone who commands the penalty area and I reckon we would be 10+ goals better off this season

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

Jose desperately wanted Maguire and threw his toys out the pram when the club rebuffed him over the price. Guardiola wanted Maguire and has consistently praised him as a top CB. Southgate has made him an ever-present in the England side and Solskjaer made him his priority #1 signing and made him captain straight away.

The bloke tops our statistics for all of our regular defensive starters for clearances per game, blocks per game, interceptions per game, tackles per game, pressure leading to balls won per game...the list goes on

Soon as we concede three goals, none of which were his fault, the knives are out again.

As I have said elsewhere - imagine before the Everton game I tell you they will have three shots on target...do you deal on that? I imagine every single fan would have took that. It’s not Harry Maguire’s fault that our GK has the second worst save percentage in the league, sticks to his line like a table football goalkeeper and is scared of his own shadow!

Change the GK for a better shot-stopper and someone who commands the penalty area and I reckon we would be 10+ goals better off this season
The GK didnt play everyone onside, also didnt fall over on the half way line and let Everton attackers run at our goal. The keeper is a problem but Maguire was too

RedDevil@84

In short, my Maguire is never wrong.
It is weird one can clearly call out DDG for the mistake he makes, but somehow is not supposed to do that for Maguire.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

You his Mum?

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Can people name the PL centre backs they would have ahead of him?
I'm guessing Dias is one (who got skinned for a penalty yesterday).

Lentwood

You his Mum?
I just find it a little bit embarrassing that our own fans are desperate to hammer our captain every week for any tiny perceived error. I actually find it bizarre. Maguire has been immense for us. There’s a little part of me that would like to see how we did without him for 6/7 games. I think that would really wake people up

The world’s media and rival fans are queuing up to criticise United and some of our fans fall for it hook, line and sinker.

General consensus in the media when we signed was we overpaid (whatever that means in football nowadays) and some of our fans have been desperate to criticise since, poring over minor mistakes and little moments over culpability.

You do realise he’s a CB? And our only CB that actually does any defending most of the time! You could technically blame every single goal on him in that position and it feels like some people do.

And yes, it’s OK to criticise the GK because he’s been crap for three years now and routinely moves out of the way of the ball/opponents to concede goals.

When Maguire is crap for three years and starts bottling challenges, I’ll criticise him

Hammondo

bsCallout.

Off pitch value? How do you know?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I just find it a little bit embarrassing that our own fans are desperate to hammer our captain every week for any tiny perceived error. I actually find it bizarre. Maguire has been immense for us. There’s a little part of me that would like to see how we did without him for 6/7 games. I think that would really wake people up

The world’s media and rival fans are queuing up to criticise United and some of our fans fall for it hook, line and sinker.

General consensus in the media when we signed was we overpaid (whatever that means in football nowadays) and some of our fans have been desperate to criticise since, poring over minor mistakes and little moments over culpability.

You do realise he’s a CB? And our only CB that actually does any defending most of the time! You could technically blame every single goal on him in that position and it feels like some people do.

And yes, it’s OK to criticise the GK because he’s been crap for three years now and routinely moves out of the way of the ball/opponents to concede goals.

When Maguire is crap for three years and starts bottling challenges, I’ll criticise him
We’ve conceded 30 goals...

I get that you rate him, but immense, come on mate. He’s made some shocking howlers.

AFC NimbleThumb

This isn't about whether we've earned that money back. He hasn't played anywhere near the level you would expect for 90m + I don't care how much Fred cost, that's irrelevant. He was overpriced too.

Maguire has proved to be comfortably worth 40mil. Don't kid yourself.
Guess captaining the club to multiple semi final defeats where you don’t leave any semblance of a mark on the game counts for more than actually being the best player when we win stuff these days. . .

What you’re kidding yourself about is that only one of them has done anything of note on the pitch to justify whatever transfer fee was paid but this is the Caf, Maguire’s reputation has always exceeded his performance.

I do agree we paid over the odds for Fred though.

croadyman

One of the biggest problems with Maguire is that he is a follower rather than a leader, therefore he not only needs someone quick alongside him but also an organiser as well then maybe we wouldn't concede so many sloppy goals

Status
Not open for further replies.