Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doracle

The "waiting to give the decision" is an instruction given to assistant referees as to not lift the offside flag for marginal offside calls, and thus influence the players, since VAR can check and the decision is "black and white" when it comes to offside. I've not seen referees call it back that way for fouls. I mean, if he was always giving the foul, and he was always disallowing the goal, then he should've blown the whistle. It sounds more like a cop-out to get Maguire off his back, but what do I know. I'll keep a look out for fouls being called that way in the future but I've never seen a foul incident being held that long while waiting for a situation to play out. Obvious fouls are always called immediately, apart from this one time. The problem with allowing the goal and then somehow backtracking is that once the goal is allowed to be scored, then the call on the pitch becomes goal, which means that the VAR's burden of proof is to say that it's a clear and obvious error to allow the goal, and with Moss in charge and his officiating yesterday, it could well have been allowed to stand.
Refs clearly have to wait to whistle until seeing if the ball goes in the net, otherwise we have the situation where goals can never be given even if the ref made a complete howler in awarding a free kick. Of course, they aren’t going to do that if it’s something on the halfway line but if, as here, it’s a player through on a 1 to 1, he’s right to delay. He’d then have called it back for the foul and let VAR check it. Exactly the same as it works with offsides. It would make no sense for them to do anything else as VAR could then only disallow goals not correct wrong decisions by the refs.

Doracle

It's needed sometimes when a team plays so defensively. I think he did well against West Brom and it was his run that eventually led to our goal.
Agreed, he can drive forward in that left channel and give us an overload on that side, which is what led to the goal. There were multiple occasions when doing so gave us a good position. I’d imagine it would work even better if we had a left forward who was in better form than Martial, as it felt like it was only Maguire and Shaw actually involved, with Martial acting as a decoy.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Would it? I’m willing to bet a lot of money VAR wouldn’t have bothered even though it was a blatant foul and a foul a defender wins 99/100 (see Martials constant fouling of defenders).
This is true...VAR doesn't seem to care when we get fouled. Only when we do the fouling. Case in point, the blatant foul on Maguire that should have been a penalty yesterday...

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Not sure it would have been to be honest... I mean I also thought it was a foul, but can you honestly rely on VAR to see it that way? Maguire just needs to deal with it in that situation and not rely on the ref.
I heard someone say that the ref told him it would have been called off. I have absolutely nothing to back that up though... :lol: :lol: :lol:

AFC NimbleThumb

Did VAR drop a meter beyond his teammates playing Everton onside in the last minute at OT last week?

Where were his post match comments then?

Eternitiy

Why has Harry Maguire been playing like a roving midfield general lately?

Is this tactical? Is it frustration (lack of play from fowards)?
Because, sadly, he is a better footballer than our actual midfielders, Fred and McTominay.

Ekeke

Are you confusing me with another poster? I'm well aware we drew, I'm not having a fit on a forum because West Brom 'almost' scored a goal that wouldn't have counted.
Are you sure you're not having a fit because you do seem delirious

Do you perhaps have multiple personalities? If not, its you mf

Art

Art the artist
When one of the most common defenses of Harry Maguire is “ well he’s better than Lindelof” that’s when you know you’ve fecked up.

passing-wind

That fact Maguire has been signed and we are still requiring more quality at centre half is enough of a sign that indicates his limited influence.

Certainly don't think he's a bad defender, he's just not good enough for the level we need to compete at for this club to not even win anything but be competitive. We will either need an outstanding defender who ticks every box to play alongside Harry to nullify his weaknesses or we will need two solid defenders with one of the two rotating.

BR7

I’m trying to think back since the prem started and I think maguire would stand well against most of our CBS in a one on one comparison. I can only think of 2 that I would say were markedly better and they are the only two who can be paired with anyone and they didnt need to be paired with a specific type of CB. Maguire is an excellent CB, wanted him here for years when teams started just lumping balls in our box from anywhere and mayhem ensued.

acnumber9

I’m trying to think back since the prem started and I think maguire would stand well against most of our CBS in a one on one comparison. I can only think of 2 that I would say were markedly better and they are the only two who can be paired with anyone and they didnt need to be paired with a specific type of CB. Maguire is an excellent CB, wanted him here for years when teams started just lumping balls in our box from anywhere and mayhem ensued.
He’d lose out to Ferdinand, Vidic, Stam, Bruce and Pallister for starters. I’d take an injury free Ronnie Johnson over him any day of the week too. Chris Smalling too.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Anyone that would take Smalling over him Is a moron to be honest. Become popular to hate him at the moment.

A-man

Look at the size of him. It should take a lot more to knock him than it did. If he wanted to stay on his feet he could have IMO.
If you’re right it means he’s been diving two games in a row. A diving CB as captain, not sending good signals.

AFC NimbleThumb

Anyone that would take Smalling over him Is a moron to be honest. Become popular to hate him at the moment.
Smalling is a better defender than Maguire. Neither are in the bracket of the CBs listed above but Smalling actually performed defensively in key games & won things [he also stank the place out in multiple games] whilst Maguire made a few marauding runs against West Brom.

The 2 are often compared because the differences aren’t particularly noticeable overall & Maguire was a direct replacement. Maguire looks better on the ball but as far as defending goes he isn’t Smalling [damning praise/criticism].

Neither are/were good enough.

TrustInJanuzaj

Smalling is a better defender than Maguire. Neither are in the bracket of the CBs listed above but Smalling actually performed defensively in key games & won things [he also stank the place out in multiple games] whilst Maguire made a few marauding runs against West Brom.

The 2 are often compared because the differences aren’t particularly noticeable overall & Maguire was a direct replacement. Maguire looks better on the ball but as far as defending goes he isn’t Smalling [damning praise/criticism].

Neither are/were good enough.
I just think Maguire is miles better than Smalling ever was. He’s incredibly underrated.

BR7

He’d lose out to Ferdinand, Vidic, Stam, Bruce and Pallister for starters. I’d take an injury free Ronnie Johnson over him any day of the week too. Chris Smalling too.
I don’t think so, the only two I see as better are the big Dutchman and Rio. Pally was great but had some horrendous games and had a bad habit of air kicking crosses he was trying to knock into the stands.

stevie Bruce had zero speed and relied on Irwin, Parker and pally to get him out of trouble when he got caught flat footed.

manja,Torres loves manja for a reason as did many speedy players. Manja needed legs around him.

Chris smalling , you’re having a laugh, shouldn’t be on the list

Stam and Rio, class

acnumber9

I don’t think so, the only two I see as better are the big Dutchman and Rio. Pally was great but had some horrendous games and had a bad habit of air kicking crosses he was trying to knock into the stands.

stevie Bruce had zero speed and relied on Irwin, Parker and pally to get him out of trouble when he got caught flat footed.

manja,Torres loves manja for a reason as did many speedy players. Manja needed legs around him.

Chris smalling , you’re having a laugh, shouldn’t be on the list

Stam and Rio, class
He’s as good as Vidic? Dear God.

acnumber9

Did you ever watch manja without legs around him? Maguire is definitely in manja territory, manja was a lot braver
Yes, and he was comfortably a better defender. And quicker than Maguire too. I assume this is a piss take? You don’t seriously believe that do you?

BR7

Yes, and he was comfortably a better defender. And quicker than Maguire too. I assume this is a piss take? You don’t seriously believe that do you?
U think manja was quicker than Maguire? I dunno. He was pretty slow was manja. Don’t get me wrong, I love manja but I just see that way.

TrustInJanuzaj

Smalling in 2015-2016 is better than any version of Harry Maguire.
Smalling could barely pass a football. Easily one of the least technical players I’ve ever seen. He wasn’t shocking but he’s pretty much the definition of bang average. Maguire is a genuinely top player who’d his why he’s England captain and was signed for £80 million. That’s after he’s impressed and worked his way up at every club he’s played for. Good player, great mentality too.

TrustInJanuzaj

Jesus, Maguire might be the most underrated player in the league. Our fan base is so toxic.

BR7

Smalling could barely pass a football. Easily one of the least technical players I’ve ever seen. He wasn’t shocking but he’s pretty much the definition of bang average. Maguire is a genuinely top player who’d his why he’s England captain and was signed for £80 million. That’s after he’s impressed and worked his way up at every club he’s played for. Good player, great mentality too.
Pretty much can’t argue with any of this (we may have overpaid but in today’s market most players are overpriced)

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Jesus, Maguire might be the most underrated player in the league. Our fan base is so toxic.
Innit, so hyperbolic :lol:

He’s a good player and was good at the weekend to be fair to him (par the silly moment at the back, although he did look like he got fouled). He needs a pacy partner in my opinion.

TrustInJanuzaj

Innit, so hyperbolic :lol:

He’s a good player and was good at the weekend to be fair to him (par the silly moment at the back, although he did look like he got fouled). He needs a pacy partner in my opinion.
That’s exactly it. CEntre backs play in partnerships, I’d know I’ve played the position for years. You need a player to compliment one another. More than anything I think we need a new keeper even if we had Van Dyke we would be handicapped.

acnumber9

U think manja was quicker than Maguire? I dunno. He was pretty slow was manja. Don’t get me wrong, I love manja but I just see that way.
Yes. He didn’t turn like an oil tanker for one. Pace is one small part of being a defender. And Vidic was better at every part of it.

passing-wind

One things for certain Smalling is far more defensively sound than Maguire. He's just so absymal in possession it's hard to justify his selection with the modern requirement of a centre half duty considering they build the phases of play. When you consider how poorly coached we are as a collective throughout the team adding Smalling to Solskjaer's management would certainly be an accident waiting to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.