6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
So you felt the need to comment that he was part of "one of the major issues we were under pressure"

Now want to say you've made zero comments about his performance? Alright.
As a team yes. Casemiro being the major culprit as stated

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
He's actually worse on the ball the more confident he is. He should just be John Terry and attack every header and block everything that comes near post. Then, when he gets the ball, pass it quickly and simply to the nearest team mate. He'd be pretty damn good if he did that.

OverratedOpinion

As a team yes. Casemiro being the major culprit as stated
You're in his thread, talking about him and have specifically said this about him apparently even pointing to specific incidences of him doing it.

But you've made zero comments about his performance? Explain how that works.

Cassidy

You're in his thread, talking about him and have specifically said this about him apparently even pointing to specific incidences of him doing it.

But you've made zero comments about his performance? Explain how that works.
Where did I point to instances of HIM doing it. I have not

OverratedOpinion

He's actually worse on the ball the more confident he is. He should just be John Terry and attack every header and block everything that comes near post. Then, when he gets the ball, pass it quickly and simply to the nearest team mate. He'd be pretty damn good if he did that.
John Terry was very, very good on the ball. Lovely long passer.

Jaae

Not ITK
Terry was excellent on the ball.

OverratedOpinion

Where did I point to instances of HIM doing it. I have not
I'm not sure I asked you to give an example of him not finding a teammate when he should have and you claimed you had "a few posts up" which is why I said apparently as I think you were mistaken.

Either way you trying to now backtrack and say you haven't commented on Harry Maguires performance today is so silly but I think it's a sign that this has run its course. Have a nice Sunday my friend.

Cassidy

I'm not sure I asked you to give an example of him not finding a teammate when he should have and you claimed you had "a few posts up" which is why I said apparently as I think you were mistaken.

Either way you trying to now backtrack and say you haven't commented on Harry Maguires performance today is so silly but I think it's a sign that this has run its course. Have a nice Sunday my friend.
Again talking about two different things as I was always talking about the defence as a whole.

If you want instance of him doing it I can remember a few but again was not the real point

Semigoodlookin

Yep exactly this. Good in defence but we need a defender to initiate attacks and be better on the ball.
As a starter yes. I think Maguire is probably good enough a 4th choice and cover. But if he has a run of games he could be a problem. Even in a decent performance today there were times where he causes panic. Either though lazy positioning, sloppy ball carrying, or wayward passes. I also think when he plays with Casemiro there will always be problems against mobile teams. Both players are exposed when playing a high line and against aggressive pressing teams that want to overrun midfield.

OverratedOpinion

Again talking about two different things as I was always talking about the defence as a whole.

If you want instance of him doing it I can remember a few but again was not the real point
You're in his thread and have referenced things about him plenty of times. You're being silly, enough now.

OverratedOpinion

Or play it over the press… towards a teammate. If u ever re watch the game see the difference today between Maguire and Dalot
First one I saw. Nothing mentioned about Maguire's performance at all.

If I go into Hojlunds thread and talk endlessly about too many of our players not being good enough at pinning centre backs and bringing others into play I'm definitely not talking about Hojlunds performance. That thread is just where I like to muse my opinions about other players.

Ludicrous

criticalanalysis

I just don't remember many instances where he was challenging for headers and there were free players for him to guide it to. Even if there were a couple I don't think that played a significant part in the result and the thing he was mainly asked to do today he did extremely well.
When I was watching the game, I felt that there was quite a few, especially in the first half. Again, I'm not saying 'head them into a free team mate's feet', I'm saying 'give his teammate a chance to recover/win it'. As for your last sentence, you're saying 'a few good clearances/passes into a teammate wouldn't have a made a difference'. No one knows that and that's not the point I'm making. I'm saying he could have and has the ability to do so.

Cassidy

First one I saw. Nothing mentioned about Maguire's performance at all.

If I go into Hojlunds thread and talk endlessly about too many of our players not being good enough at pinning centre backs and bringing others into play I'm definitely not talking about Hojlunds performance. That thread is just where I like to muse my opinions about other players.

Ludicrous
Thought it was enough. I guess not.
You asked for that observation. My original post and point didnt make it

OverratedOpinion

When I was watching the game, I felt that there was quite a few, especially in the first half. Again, I'm not saying 'head them into a free team mate's feet', I'm saying 'give his teammate a chance to recover/win it'. As for your last sentence, you're saying 'a few good clearances/passes into a teammate wouldn't have a made a difference'. No one knows that and that's not the point I'm making. I'm saying he could have and has the ability to do so.
We were so bloody under the kosh in the first half and basically being swarmed in midfield. I don't think that is a particular strength of his, it's something Vidic was great at. But I also don't think that can be expected and the midfield need go give the defenders more of a chance.

soapythecat

He’s a solid defender, no two ways about it. But his limited ability to play out from the back is so obvious - he’s not comfortable with the ball at his feet.
Some of his clearances and passes under pressure today were really poor for a elite player.
Another player who doesn’t suit a possession based team at all. Would look very good at say West Ham or Palace but teams like Bournemouth, Fulham would be a bad move for him.
I think he will be sold in the summer and we can replace Harry easily I feel.

Borussia Teeth

Bad example. Terry was very composed on the ball and two footed. More similar to Evans than Maguire when in possession.

cpresc

I like that he's getting more grizzly and aggressive.

I think EtH did the right thing by removing the captaincy and it's not really his fault he has the £80m tag.

I used to HATE him but he's growing on me now and I'd like us to keep him as a squad player

Guapa

Done okay for us this season considering the injuries we've had but a real throw back of a footballer.Need to move him on if we want to compete next season.

criticalanalysis

We were so bloody under the kosh in the first half and basically being swarmed in midfield. I don't think that is a particular strength of his, it's something Vidic was great at. But I also don't think that can be expected and the midfield need go give the defenders more of a chance.
You're all over the place with your opinions mate. Maguire is an aerial beast, who wins lots of aerial duels easily and by extension, he should have the upper hand to direct his headers/clearances with a bit more finesse and composure. I expect that from him because I believe he has the quality and experience. That's all. Stop bringing Vidic, the midfield, whether he could have won the game on his own and anything to absolve him of any criticism on that specific part ,which you've tried to minimise over and over. It's not a controversial point and many others are saying the same.

OverratedOpinion

You're all over the place with your opinions mate. Maguire is an aerial beast, who wins lots of aerial duels easily and by extension, he should have the upper hand to direct his headers/clearances with a bit more finesse and composure. I expect that from him because I believe he has the quality and experience. That's all. Stop bringing Vidic, the midfield, whether he could have won the game on his own and anything to absolve him of any criticism on that specific part ,which you've tried to minimise over and over. It's not a controversial point and many others are saying the same.
I am 100% consistent mate, he was under absurd pressure and the midfield are terrible at giving out balls. He was very good today and your obscure criticism of him was no significant part in why we were dominated today. I am not absolving him of criticism on obscure irrelevant parts of the match, I am helping you by explaining why it happened and also letting you know how irrelevant it is.

Many others are also saying he was very good, more than not. Because he was. (I would suggest not trying to argue opinion via majority and just sticking to your opinions).

C'est Moi Cantona

Done okay for us this season considering the injuries we've had but a real throw back of a footballer.Need to move him on if we want to compete next season.
Sure Moyes will be back in for him, and he might be convinced to go this time, he's proved his point, and can now leave with head held high.

M16Red

Played well, it's sad that we can't play a high line with him. He's a good player

NoPace

It's the wrong system for him. Way too open, he can't follow strikers when they drop deep but good in the air. Should be at Atletico or a big Serie A side, but the economics of the game mean that English players who no longer suit the Prem rarely move (used to probably be provincial-ism, now I think it's just a question of money).

Ole'sgunnarwin

It's the wrong system for him. Way too open, he can't follow strikers when they drop deep but good in the air. Should be at Atletico or a big Serie A side, but the economics of the game mean that English players who no longer suit the Prem rarely move (used to probably be provincial-ism, now I think it's just a question of money).
Yeah I'd say defensive master coach Simeone is chomping at the bit for Harry Maguire.

NoPace

Yeah I'd say defensive master coach Simeone is chomping at the bit for Harry Maguire.
As ridiculous as Maguire looks, I'd say overall he's a little better than guys like Savic and an aging Witsel (as a CB), or their recent signing Soyuncu.

He's not Godin or Gimenez back when he was healthier, but Simeone has done better than anyone with slower, aerially strong CBs overall among managers in the last 20 years or so.

JeffFromHK

He is a decent defender, but he is so press unresistant, any semi-pressure he will just randomly boot the ball towards the opponents/out of bylines

lex talionis

Harry serves a role and will make an excellent squad rotation option for us next season.

Cantonagotmehere

He defended well yesterday, but for the life of me I cannot understand why he cannot direct a free header to teammate? He just launches them to nowhere or out of bounds. Countless time he could have nodded the ball to a middie but just hammers it away losing possession. I love his fight, etc...but that stuff kills me.

SER19

Its a strange one with maguire. He's played well this season and rebuilt his reputation as a solid defender. But on the other hand he's 31 now, and while he's never been quick, Im not convinced he offers enough with other parts of his game to expect him to age well like evans, thiago silva and so on. So I'd lean towards selling if a good offer came in this summer. If not then another year, strictly as a sub while he makes way for a more progressive player, would be tolerable.

Alemar

So I'd lean towards selling if a good offer came in this summer.
Why would such an offer come? Maguire will be in the last year of his contract on high wages.

Yes, he managed to rebuild his reputation this year, performing very decently, but he is expensive and relatively old.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
No need to sell him. Better and more reliable than Varane and Lindef. One or both of them should go first.

SER19

Why would such an offer come? Maguire will be in the last year of his contract on high wages.

Yes, he managed to rebuild his reputation this year, performing very decently, but he is expensive and relatively old.
By good offer I mean relative to those conditions you outline. He's still a good experienced player whose style might suit another team more than ours. Its not unreasonable to think we could get 20m or so for him at this point, which I would take. West Ham offered 30m in august

Alemar

West Ham offered 30m in august
But they didn’t manage to agree on wages with him, that’s the thing.
Maybe Euro-2024 will help - if Maguire has a very good tournament, who knows. Perhaps then we will indeed get 20m for him

jem

In the goat rodeo that has been our 2023-24 season, Maguire has stood as a beacon of professionalism (and has played well too.) I’ve been a huge critic over the years, but credit where it’s due (and probably owe @SadlerMUFC an apology as well!)

Idxomer

I can't stand watching him on the ball, every second he's in possession screams lower table defender from 10 years ago.