Harry Maguire (Out): Chelsea eyeing a shock swoop for Harry Maguire | Utd say not for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abraxas

He'd only be good in the middle of a back 3. Potentially, anyway. I don't see why it's the case that he would be any more likely to be good than in a 4. Most English defenders are brought up on back 4s.

He'd be appalling at defending wide areas in the PL if you put him in the outside positions.

Telsim

We will never let him go. And we shouldn't, not to Chelsea, and definitely not for Pulisic.

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
I think Maguires a good defender I just think no functional midfield doesn't help him.

He has been caught out though of course.

The issue is the defense being dragged all over the place with players like Dalot at RB too. The biggest issue for me is he doesn't get enough goals at the other end from set pieces.

Varane was injured too much last season as another point.

Unless we are somehow going for Pau Torres to replace him, I don't see the point.

If a nice bid came up, to get a top CB in then sure. If not then I don't see why.
You think Harry Maguire's biggest issue is he doesn't score enough goals?

GreatDane

Look all being well he wouldn’t be in my 11 either and a move is probably for the best for him, but we’ve got considerably bigger issues in this squad than Maguire.
I agree we need replacements in other areas as well, too many even, but us and Maguire isn't a happy union.
Can he be sold / swapped then all the better for both us and Harry.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Whhaaattt plleeaaassee do it now!

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
You think Harry Maguire's biggest issue is he doesn't score enough goals?
One of my issues with him is he can't seem to score from corners when he wins as many aerial duels as VVD yeah.

I think the midfield has exposed the defense for years.

The only reason I'd personally sell Maguire is if the right offer comes in meaning another dominant defender comes in. Or if ETH deems he won't fit in a high press team (worries he can't chase back).

I think he is a top CB and having people like Casemiro infront of the back four will change perceptions.

I genuinely don't think Maguire is as bad as people make him out to be.

-Supreme-

This would be a big statement of intent in terms of restructuring the team, hopefully a.couple more of our first team regulars to follow

ObscureBaguette

One of my issues with him is he can't seem to score from corners when he wins as many aerial duels as VVD yeah.

I think the midfield has exposed the defense for years.

The only reason I'd personally sell Maguire is if the right offer comes in meaning another dominant defender comes in. Or if ETH deems he won't fit in a high press team (worries he can't chase back).

I genuinely don't think Maguire is as bad as people make him out to be.
He's shown while playing for England what his strengths are but in a United shirt - especially the last couple of seasons - he's been horrendous.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Please please be true. What would be fantastic is if we take a wedge from them and go and buy Fofana ourselves.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
One thing is sure Harry will give away penalty for his every wrestling move in Chelsea shirt. :lol:. You can have pulisic for free but don't punish us with Harry the great Maguire.

Trequarista10

He'd only be good in the middle of a back 3. Potentially, anyway. I don't see why it's the case that he would be any more likely to be good than in a 4. Most English defenders are brought up on back 4s.

He'd be appalling at defending wide areas in the PL if you put him in the outside positions.
He's been quite good for England in a back 3, as the LCB.

I think he'd be good at centre of a 3 in team playing a very deep defensive line. For Chelsea, he'd do well at either LCB or RCB, certainly better than he could ever be in a back 4 playing an equally high defensive line.

ti vu

Ultimate back 3 CB. Happy for him and Chelsea. 50mil will do.

Would you be interested in AWB too by the way? text

JB7

I agree we need replacements in other areas as well, too many even, but us and Maguire isn't a happy union.
Can he be sold / swapped then all the better for both us and Harry.
De Gea & Maguire isn’t a happy union. No coincidence Maguire looked the player we signed when Dave was out of the team.

diarm

He could do well there in a back 3. United is too much club for him, especially as captain, but at Chelsea with 2 good centre backs beside him and the pressure off a bit, he'll do alright.

If this is any way possible, we should be doing everything we can to make it happen. It would be very difficult for Ten Hag to take the captaincy off him after so publicly backing him in the summer, so this could be a real get out of jail free card for us.

Siorac

I strongly dislike Maguire as a player but I'm not sure it would be wise. We'd only have Lindelöf and Martinez who can be relied upon to actually stay fit. Maguire isn't great at, well, anything but at least he's pretty much always available.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
That he’s not shite. He’s had an abysmal 12 months but he’s just not shite.
It just hasnt worked out for him here, at all. The captaincy, the pricetag, the massive errors.. Just about everything has gone wrong. Its not just Maguires fault, maybe he’s a great defender. But we have to be honest here, it was a big big mistake to sign him. And we wont progress with him as captain.

You simply cannot have players who won world cups, 5 Champions league titles, FIFA world cups etc. And then have Maguire as your captain and think they Will respect that.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Going from targeting Fofana to someone who is nearly a decade older tells you that this is complete BS.

HairyBack23

That he’s not shite. He’s had an abysmal 12 months but he’s just not shite.
Is he good enough to play in a back 4 for a team that wants to contend for trophies and play with a high line? No. He didn't lose his pace and start turning like a barge in the last 12 months.

Shite in a back 4. Decent in a back 5 that doesn't push up too high (England/Chelsea).

Most sensible posters don't think he's a shite player but it's undeniable he's a terrible fit for how Manchester United want to play.

Last edited:

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
He’d look a hell of a lot better for them than us, and he really needs a new start; he’s mentally shattered here.

Fooza

I will believe in a God if this happens, come on big man up there

Abraxas

He's been quite good for England in a back 3, as the LCB.

I think he'd be good at centre of a 3 in team playing a very deep defensive line. For Chelsea, he'd do well at either LCB or RCB, certainly better than he could ever be in a back 4 playing an equally high defensive line.
Yeah, that's why I referenced the PL. I just think international footie and especially under Southgates style is a completely different game. They're mostly pedestrian games.

Imagine him playing side centre half for us, it'd put him in even worse positions that expose his weaknesses than he is now. I think the key at Chelsea would be structure more than formation, they've got more control of matches whereas ours are like basketball.

BeltUp

Supports
United
I think he'd be very good for Chelsea. He just doesn't fit Ten Hag's system at all so it makes sense to let him go. My only concern is how injury prone the rest of our CBs are.

Vapor trail

He’d be very good in their back 3.
I've always said this the two wider centre halfs cater to his deficiency and immobility. This is why his performances for England are a massive improvement compared to domestically.

Status
Not open for further replies.