Harry Winks

Robbie Boy

Can't see a thread on him. This kid looks the real deal. Since his breakthrough last season, he's looked better and better as time has gone on and it's pretty feasible that he may end up starting for England at next years World Cup. What a year or so it's been far the lad and no better manager to nurture his talents than Poch.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
He'd have to really push some top players in the spurs starting 11 to start in the World Cup. Not sure if I can see that happening to be honest. That said, clearly talented and at a great club for his stage of development.

meamth

I mentioned it in the forum earlier. He will be the next 100 million player.

Bwuk

Reminds me of Pereira except he's been given a chance, very good prospect.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
He is a great prospect and I'm glad he is starting to get the recognition he deserves. He isn't a flashy player but he is neat and tidy and progressive with his passing. He also has a decent turn of pace. He could become a really good player for Spurs and England. Right now I honestly think he should be a regular starter for England simply because you don't have many other players in midfield with his skill set or ability.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Might just be because he’s at Spurs and lazy comparisons, but he reminds me a little of Michael Carrick with increased mobility and ball-carrying skills

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
I mentioned it in the forum earlier. He will be the next 100 million player.
Come down, he's not that good. He's ball-positive looking to progress things forward and neat and tidy on the ball with decent movement, but what about him screams £100m? He's not outstanding in any aspect of the game.

Also the NEXT £100m? So he's going to move for that money before we see Coutinho, Dybala, Griezmann go? I think you might be mixing him up with Harry Kane pal.

Devil may care

Showed a lot of composure on the ball at the Bernabeu the other night, technically superior to the usual English CM.

Robbie Boy

He'd have to really push some top players in the spurs starting 11 to start in the World Cup. Not sure if I can see that happening to be honest. That said, clearly talented and at a great club for his stage of development.
Englands midfield could use someone like him. He's better than Henderson, for me.

vadimivich

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Everyone needs to pump the brakes on him just a little bit - he's an excellent prospect, but he's the type of player (deep sitting playmaker) that will improve with more experience and that just takes time. He could also use another year or two in Pochettino's fitness regime to continue to add a bit of bulk and strength.

That being said, he's 21, still coming back from a very serious injury and didn't look totally out of place in the Bernabeu. That's remarkable in itself and proof he's an excellent long term prospect. Carrick is probably a good comparison, though Pochettino's nickname for him is "Little Iniesta" ... even though I think his best position long term is deeper than Iniesta ever played.

Just pin this thread and check back in a year. Spurs have another excellent young CM prospect who is currently on loan at Aston Villa as well (Josh Onomah). There's a big glut of talent in the pipeline right now.

Classical Mechanic

His problem will be getting minutes when Wanyama and Dembele come back from injury. Spur's results have been very solid since he has been in the first eleven though.

vadimivich

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
His problem will be getting minutes when Wanyama and Dembele come back from injury. Spur's results have been very solid since he has been in the first eleven though.
Dembele will always be hurt at least a bit and Winks will allow Pochettino to save him for big matches as much as possible. Winks is going to play a ton next to Dier or Wanyama this season.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Been praising him for a while myself, he always impressed me. He reminds me of Wilshere.

Blind

Yeah, Dembele's minutes will be very limited which is great news for Winks. I thought they should have kept Onomah around too, Sissoko isn't a central midfielder and looks woeful wherever he plays.

marktan

Reminded me a bit of Cleverly, decent ability on the ball and can play a decent pass, but his default mode of operation seemed to be to stand close to the defenders, get the ball, and play the easiest pass. Cleverly likewise does have the ability to do more, but he's not a natural on the ball the way a Dembele or Pogba are. This is mainly my observations based on the Real match, I recall one decent pass forward and not much else really.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Been praising him for a while myself, he always impressed me. He reminds me of Wilshere.
Oh dear

Reminded me a bit of Cleverly, decent ability on the ball and can play a decent pass, but his default mode of operation seemed to be to stand close to the defenders, get the ball, and play the easiest pass. Cleverly likewise does have the ability to do more, but he's not a natural on the ball the way a Dembele or Pogba are. This is mainly my observations based on the Real match, I recall one decent pass forward and not much else really.
Oh dear, oh dear.

vadimivich

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Yeah, Dembele's minutes will be very limited which is great news for Winks. I thought they should have kept Onomah around too, Sissoko isn't a central midfielder and looks woeful wherever he plays.
Eh, Sissoko has been very good this year when he's played in CM. He was fecking excellent on Tuesday night, for example.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Just watched a highlight of his performance against Real. Nothing too fancy but I liked how press-resistent he looked. Some nice feints/shoulder drops to make a run forward and create space.

Robbie Boy

Had the third highest pass completion from the match the other night after Ramos and Kroos, apparently.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
I can definitely see some similarities, he's even been out injured for a couple of months someone was saying.

I watched the Spurs RM game and he looked good for just coming back from injury and pretty much in midfield there by himself. Certainly didnt look out of place against the midfield of Madrid, tidy passing numbers, harried players in his zone. Won some interceptions and a tackle or two.

Little iniesta or the next cleverly...
Well I'll play it safe - probably somewhere between the two
Im sure Spurs would be happy if he improves enough to even be in the same ballpark as an Iniesta or Modric.

Needham

With Shelvey, Cleverly and now Winks, England's B Team would have a helluva midfield if there was still an England B Team.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

Solid performance. Wouldn't get all excited just yet Wilshere pre injury was a bigger talent imo but I do think Winks might actually give England balance in that side now as we have zero composure in midfield and he seems calm and likes to pass between the lines.

meamth

Harry Winks is not a typical English Midfielder, far from it. I've been following him since he was 18 and from there I'm sure he is special.
He got excellent ball control, wonderful right foot and agile movement. Pochettino dubbed him as the "The perfect midfielder" who can play deep lying playmaker and also box to box midfielder.
What makes him great to watch is his neat dribbles, he can beat one two players easy with his nimble dribbling and make that forward pass. Another trademark trait of Winks is he is excellent with body feints, making it difficult for oppositions to read him.

When you compare his performances to Moussa Dembele’s this season, you will see Winks only has one more appearance, yet Dembele has managed 4 shots against Winks’ 1, however, Harry has managed to create 2 big chances to Dembele’s 0, highlighting Harry Winks’ attacking threat. They both have the same amount of tackles, Dembele has 2 more interceptions than Harry Winks, however, less aerial battles won. As statistics show, Winks’ is comfortable impressing week by week in the first 11, being able to put on a good show when called upon by Pochettino. His age again shows how much time he has to grow and improve and having signed a long-term contract with the club, he will look to progress and consolidate a permanent role in the title challenging team.

Realistically, when i said he will be the next 100 mil pound/euro player, It is very logical if we take multiple factor into consideration: Age, Consistency, Current Market, English, Exciting and (of course)Levy. If Argentina has Paredes, Italy has Veratti, Germany has Weigl, England have their very own exciting playmaker on the rise; Harry Winks.

Last edited:

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Next 100 mil player? There's a few in the Spurs side much more likely to go for that sort of fee before this bloke.

He look a promising player but let's not get silly. 1 assist in 27 prem games (especially at a side like Spurs) is not exactly amazing.

Last edited:

El cangrejo

Supports
FC Luzern
If his name wasn’t silly enough as it is, he has the middle name “Billy”.

Harry Billy Winks. School must’ve been a nightmare.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Unbelievably overrated. All he's proved is that he can cut it at this level in a good team, not particularly excel. I hate Henderson with a passion, but this guy is not any better than him.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Wilshere was a great talent so that's definitely a compliment for me, I think Winks mentality is better though, and that he is in a place where he's more likely to improve (although injuries did play a part in Wilsheres decline).

I am also very positive about Winks, but he has yet to prove anything, so let's just wait and see how he continue to progress.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Unbelievably overrated. All he's proved is that he can cut it at this level in a good team, not particularly excel. I hate Henderson with a passion, but this guy is not any better than him.
By "this level", presumably you mean in the Champion's League playing against Real Madrid in the Bernabeu. If so, what higher levels are there?