Has apathy already set in for you?

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Many people who go with the mantra of "if you can't support us during the lows, don't come back during the highs" don't understand that Utd is not a religion for everyone. Utd used to be a source of entertainment for me and entertainment for me means being competitive.

I have come to terms with the fact that this club is the best example of false dawns FC. Last year it almost tricked me into believing that the tide is turning but alas.

I don't enjoy watching this team, watching these players. It feels like a waste of time. So yes, apathy has set it for me. Why should I ruin my mood every weekend by keeping any expectations from this club? Sad part is i can't even enjoy other football matches because how easy the teams make it look whereas here we make it look like it's rocket science. I have endured more misery than actual glory and it sucks to be a Utd fan these days.
Also, the thing with this mantra, is that it ignores the fact that the vast majority of people who do feel apathetic towards the club over the years, still support the club. There's a massive difference between binning it off completely - or, god forbid, supporting another club (which would be insane) - and feeling slightly indifferent when we lose, or maybe not as excited as you once got when we win.

Marcus

Apathy is a self-preservation mechanism to avoid getting hurt by this club. Boy has there been a lot of hurt this season.

ManUtd1999

I feel apathetic at times, but then I want to watch the team, because I care.

Then, the camera shows Eric Tan Hag as our manager, and I lose any hope that I had.

cpresc

Then, the camera shows Eric Tan Hag as our manager, and I lose any hope that I had.
wtf is this.

He's lost a couple games - last season he dealt with a LOT of grief and still managed to stabilise the club.

We were about an inch away from beating Arsenal at the Emirates with a classic Fergie style Arsenal away smash and grab.

We were well beaten by a very good Brighton team who will beat many teams this year - but we are also injury ravaged right now.

The club - especially one called United - really doesn't need 'supporters' like you.

ManUtd1999

wtf is this.

He's lost a couple games - last season he dealt with a LOT of grief and still managed to stabilise the club.

We were about an inch away from beating Arsenal at the Emirates with a classic Fergie style Arsenal away smash and grab.

We were well beaten by a very good Brighton team who will beat many teams this year - but we are also injury ravaged right now.

The club - especially one called United - really doesn't need 'supporters' like you.
We were asked to talk about feelings in this thread. This is rather subjective. I did tell you what I think/feel.

I dont believe that ETH should’ve been hired in the first place. It’s not about 2 or 5 games. I didn’t mention any game in my post.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
My apathy is mostly caused by poor football and basically fighting fires caused by injuries. There is very little to look forward to until Mount and Amrabat and possibly one of Antony/Sancho are back. For that reason I don't watch games with full attention, just something in the background.
I don't mind fighting for top 4, we were never going to challenge for major trophies this season with current squad. But this season I would rather we played some good football than win a trophy like Carabao Cup.

philippexyz

I will never take this club seriously until the Glazers are gone. It's an endless cycle of frustration and disappointment.

Yes, I'm apathetic and we all should be, I think. Manchester United is a hostage for 18 years now. Will it ever be released and survive? Who knows.

UnitedWA

If it was only football apathy, no! Everything about club and in the club makes me feel drowsed and like nothing will ever change for the better. And even when we make one step ahead, behind it is 500 steps backwards.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
On the plus side, those accusations that all United fans are glory hunters can no longer be made at those of us still here and suffering through the bad times.

When we are shit, you sure do realise just how many absolute cnuts who support rival teams had their entire childhood or young adult life ruined by United's success. All this banter culture really highlights this even more IMO.

I bet it really hurt them when things like Machedaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatgjhhhghggh happened.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
wtf is this.

Stop glorifying shit performance.

Almost win a smash and grab? Look, if we win then fair enough. But since when does United be content with being played off the park and ALMOST win

Even Rawk at their darkest bleakest time never glorify almost win against your rival

Hell they made it their cup final everytime they met us

Drainy

Welcome to being a fan of a normal big Premier League football club.

Sometimes things are good, other times they aren't.
If you can't emotionally deal with that being a sports fan might not be healthy for you so take up a hobby that will work for you.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
This apathy looks like result of a waiting game between football fans vs Glazers. We know, they know, things must conclude soon, and atmosphere never been more tense.

This season will probably be me just cheering on young players, and anyone who cares for that matter. I have a feeling Ten Hag didn't said his last words on whole situation around dressing room, and he still holding his strongest cards. Hopefully winter window will resolve a part, because why wait till the summer.

Captmfla

Bruno, Hojlund, Rashford, Casemiro continue to show they are of a different class. Then Onana is also very commanding as a keeper. Martinez continues to be a defender who works very hard and Varane and Shaw always world class despite being injury-prone.

AwB and Dalot always fighting for the rightback role. Mctominay doing well in internationals and hopefully this will translate back to top performances for club soon. Then there's the exciting Garnacho, Hannibal, Pellestri and Amad.

ETH is top 20 current managers in the world and the Glazers are leaving soon and selling at a premium price. I think there's many positives still to come.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
This apathy looks like result of a waiting game between football fans vs Glazers. We know, they know, things must conclude soon, and atmosphere never been more tense.

This season will probably be me just cheering on young players, and anyone who cares for that matter. I have a feeling Ten Hag didn't said his last words on whole situation around dressing room, and he still holding his strongest cards. Hopefully winter window will resolve a part, because why wait till the summer.
If you don't already then I'd implore you to watch the youth teams, especially the U18s, it's been my crutch for a very long time.

TomSkalle

I have stopped caring.
I cant see these players do anything this season, exept maybe go for Liga/Fa cups.

The bad passing and the underperformance of most players are worst.
Its like we have bought a group of players that doesnt work at all.
Either physically or mentally in shambles.

Crimson King

It started when the Glazer's bought the club and really set in when Moyes replaced SAF as manager.

I don't think I've ever really left a state of apathy since then. It probably won't lift until the Glazers leave and any new owner seems to actually care about the club, beyond just making money.

ColvaleGoa

Wow. Mind Blown!

Guess there is no hope for us if you think EtH can't do the job.

cpresc

Stop glorifying shit performance.

Almost win a smash and grab? Look, if we win then fair enough. But since when does United be content with being played off the park and ALMOST win

Even Rawk at their darkest bleakest time never glorify almost win against your rival

Hell they made it their cup final everytime they met us
Yeah, I guess that's fair.

10 years of mediocrity has set my expectations back considerably I guess...

(which might be necessary?)

grahamo

Ive been a United fan all My life. I've never felt so apathetic. Even in the 70s and 80s United could raise their game against the best when it came to it. We were always inconsistent but could come up with amazing performances when needed. The players of the last few years don't seem to be up for it despite being talented enogh. I'm pretty sure that even if SAF made a comeback he couldn't motivate the players at the moment. The owners need to go. The apathy among fans is 100% down to those Glazer leeches.

grahamo

I suppose its cyclical. Being a United fan generates massive highs (ie 1999 or 1993) and the opposite of this is the exaggerated lows We feel now. Can You imagine how good it will feel when the Glazers go? It will be like the treble winning season all over again!

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
There is a poison at this club. I keep saying it. And it's not just with the players. There is a fundamental culture of not accepting responsibility.
See how fast the briefings about recruitment coming out, with the recruitment team already washing their hands off.
The poison starts from the top. Look at the lack of effort from some players on Saturday. they will still start games.
The poison starts from the top and I am sick of it.

IRONTUSK

The last few years have been awful.

The Greenwood saga. Ronaldo. Seven nil losses. Fergie nearly dying. Giggs being revealed for what he is. Just a few. All terrible.

Nothing is worse than becoming Qatar's thing, though. It is the lasting legacy of the Glazers. Our support, who mobilised against the likes of Murdoch, demanding we sell out to a hard right, autocratic dictatorship out of nothing but brow-beaten pride and entitlement.

Literally feel ashamed of the club and of myself for
continuing to support it. Dirty. Cheap. I can't stop thinking about us and yet cannot celebrate a goal, or get excited about us anymore.

So no, not apathy, just something far worse.
The club is such a mess right now on & off the pitch it makes it very difficult to get exited like you say.
Interesting that last season Neville was saying we now have a team/bunch of players who are really likeable - I doubt somehow we will hear him repeat that now.

Pronewbie

Peep
Welcome to being a fan of a normal big Premier League football club.

Sometimes things are good, other times they aren't.
If you can't emotionally deal with that being a sports fan might not be healthy for you so take up a hobby that will work for you.
TBF I find myself learning to play the guitar while watching our matches these days. It's far more rewarding and therapeutic.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
We’re five games into the season, and I must say I’m already feeling apathetic. Of course, I still want us to win and I’ll support the team for the rest of the season, but what I mean is, I feel pretty numb when we do lose. Basically, how I’ve felt for most of the last decade or so. With stuff off the field as well, it all feels a bit hopeless.

I get angry in the moment, but that dissipates very quickly. It’s probably the worst feeling as a fan.
Yes. And for the players too.

Robbie Boy

Pretty much, yes. Which is a shame as I generally enjoyed last season. I feel the club is stuck in a perpetual loop of misery. I wouldn't be at all surprised if we go lose our next two games. I like ETH, but he has a monumental job on his hands.

justsomebloke

I'm seriously considering not watching the Bayern game tonight. I just feels like I really don't have to.

To be fair, since I don't have a subscription to the channel showing CL, it would require making an effort. If I had it in my own living room, I would certainly watch.

Mike Smalling

The combination of United being in this sorry state, and football moving in a terrible direction overall (influx of Saudi/Qatari money, clear corruption, overworking the players with too many games, terrible implementation of VAR, etc. etc.) is really taking a toll.

Watching United has gone from something I looked forward to, to something I do partly out of habit and partly out of a weird sense of obligation. Usually these days it just results in two hours wasted and a crappy mood, because even when we win it's often still been a shitty watch.

Kaos

FFS you make it sound as if we're managed by Mike Bassett and not some highly regarded modern European coach :houllier:

bstb3

I think kind of the opposite for me, with regards to the OP's question. I'm finding myself more engaged with results and goings on at the club now than when things were going smoothly (in the long and distant past now). I think it's the adversity of it - somehow the club as an entity, what we recognise and support as Manchester United, needs us more now than when Fergie was in his pomp. That's not the same club for me as represented by the current incarnation of ownership and executive management structure, because screw those guys, but the notion of Manchester United. It's the same type of divorce of ownership and club that allows us to shit on the glazers, every bit as much as we might shit on whomever owns us next, whilst still supporting the team.

Apathy, ultimately, makes life easier for the owners to crack on.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
If you don't already then I'd implore you to watch the youth teams, especially the U18s, it's been my crutch for a very long time.
Yes, exactly this. I'm also watching women's team from Casey Stoney era. There's so much fresh, unaltered energy there, there's no comparison.

Lee565

To be honest a club our size and history should not have high and lows, we were in a massive position of power in the mid 2000's the owners have completely ballsed it up on a massive scale and started becoming complacent in fergies last few years that has left us well behind your barca, madrids (both), Bayern, city, Liverpool, juventus, inter Milan, Chelsea over the last decade in terms of achievements on the field.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I’m far from apathetic, which is why I’ve made the choice to take a break right now. I get absolutely enraged and downcast after a stupid defeat or a really inept performance, and it ruins my weekend. I only have my daughter half the week, and if I start the weekend with her by being in a bad mood after a shitty Saturday morning result (live stateside now), it makes it so much harder to be upbeat and energetic for all the things I want do with her.

Quality time with her will always trump my lifelong dedication to United, so I am just taking a pause from watching. Probably until the club is sold, the place is a rotten mess, top to bottom. I don’t put it on the manager. It’ll be the same under any manager. The infrastructure and strategic thinking just isn’t there. The club is hamstrung on an institutional level. And life is too short to ruin some of my best times tethered to the incompetence of a parasitic family of leeches.

I have supported United through thick and thin, since I was 5. It’s my only meaningful link to my late father, and was a beacon through a childhood filled with unspeakable trauma. My only happy memories as a kid, are of United. The club has meant more to me than nearly any single person, outside of the couple of key people who have all my love now. I’m in my mid forties, just to put that in context, and this is a hard decision to make, but make it I must. And I say hard, because of the force of breaking a lifetime habit. It’s not hard in terms of what I think is best for my happiness and mental health.

Good luck to all of you that stick it out until the club is sold. Cancelled my MUTV subscription this morning, removed the football section of the guardian from my favourites, cancelled my athletic subscription, and deactivated my peacock EPL subscription. Going to enjoy a football free year for the first time in my conscious life. The disgust I feel for the way the club is now run, the outing of abusers in our ranks, coupled with the absolute perversion of the game through state owned clubs like City, is making this an increasingly peaceful move for me.

The football forum has been ridiculously toxic for ages, and it’s nearly impossible to have a meaningful debate on the game just on the football merits, so I won’t miss that side of the Caf; despite the handful of intelligent and insightful posters who elevate the understanding of those around them. They are all too frequently drowned out by the rantings of the knee jerk, mouth frothing brigade. But that is society in general.

Luckily we still have the General forum. I genuinely hope that this season doesn’t get to some of you too badly. This club deserves so much better than what has happened to it since the Glazer’s took over. But nothing is going to change until they go. There will be good performances, okay ones, the odd great one, a whole host of bad ones, more scandals, and the odd humiliation. The only consistency will be the institutional rot, which means any manager is running up hill, ALL the time.

Last edited:

York

Yes, I'm feeling apathetic at the moment. I'm one of the more unfortunate United supporters who began following the club the year RVP had like 26 league goals and we won. So pretty much since the slide began. I feel like I've been catfished and I blame the Glazers.

Andersonson

Not even looking forward to games anymore. If I miss a game its ok now, cant stand our owners and our way of playing

SAFMUTD

It has this season has been a complete disaster from injuries to Sancho's and Antony's problems we're completele depleted. This already looks like another write off season and it's just september.

Care_de_Bobo

FFS you make it sound as if we're managed by Mike Bassett and not some highly regarded modern European coach :houllier:
Unfortunately, being highly regarded doesn't necessarily lead to a manager being successful. I was very happy with his appointment, but there's no point overlooking the fact that his biggest achievement was winning the Dutch league and losing a CL semi against Spurs in a very Spursy fashion. There were areas he clearly needed to improve before he arrived at probably the hardest job in football right now.

He's not guaranteed to succeed here if he's just given enough time. I'm not writing him off or anything, but he really needs to sort out our away form and fast. The best managers are able to at least get a result or two here and there away from home against the bigger sides, regardless of injuries.