Has apathy already set in for you?

Hal9000

Eriksen, Casemiro and Pellistri in midfield away to Bayern. Another 7-0 lesson for ETH?
And this is why he can't win.

We've got 12 plays out, and look at the amount people cried when he played Mctominey and Fernandes on the right instead of Pellistri.

He now does what everyone wanted on Saturday and people are again... Crying.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I’m far from apathetic, which is why I’ve made the choice to take a break right now. I get absolutely enraged and downcast after a stupid defeat or a really inept performance, and it ruins my weekend. I only have my daughter half the week, and if I start the weekend with her by being in a bad mood after a shitty Saturday morning result (live stateside now), it makes it so much harder to be upbeat and energetic for all the things I want do with her.

Quality time with her will always trump my lifelong dedication to United, so I am just taking a pause from watching. Probably until the club is sold, the place is a rotten mess, top to bottom. I don’t put it on the manager. It’ll be the same under any manager. The infrastructure and strategic thinking just isn’t there. The club is hamstrung on an institutional level. And life is too short to ruin some of my best times tethered to the incompetence of a parasitic family of leeches.

I have supported United through thick and thin, since I was 5. It’s my only meaningful link to my late father, and was a beacon through a childhood filled with unspeakable trauma. My only happy memories as a kid, are of United. The club has meant more to me than nearly any single person, outside of the couple of key people who have all my love now. I’m in my mid forties, just to put that in context, and this is a hard decision to make, but make it I must. And I say hard, because of the force of breaking a lifetime habit. It’s not hard in terms of what I think is best for my happiness and mental health.

Good luck to all of you that stick it out until the club is sold. Cancelled my MUTV subscription this morning, removed the football section of the guardian from my favourites, cancelled my athletic subscription, and deactivated my peacock EPL subscription. Going to enjoy a football free year for the first time in my conscious life. The disgust I feel for the way the club is now run, the outing of abusers in our ranks, coupled with the absolute perversion of the game through state owned clubs like City, is making this an increasingly peaceful move for me.

The football forum has been ridiculously toxic for ages, and it’s nearly impossible to have a meaningful debate on the game just on the football merits, so I won’t miss that side of the Caf; despite the handful of intelligent and insightful posters who elevate the understanding of those around them. They are all too frequently drowned out by the rantings of the knee jerk, mouth frothing brigade. But that is society in general.

Luckily we still have the General forum. I genuinely hope that this season doesn’t get to some of you too badly. This club deserves so much better than what has happened to it since the Glazer’s took over. But nothing is going to change until they go. There will be good performances, okay ones, the odd great one, a whole host of bad ones, more scandals, and the odd humiliation. The only consistency will be the institutional rot, which means any manager is running up hill, ALL the time.
Funny, but the thought of not following football for such a long period of time like you're doing was anathema to me. I just couldn't envision me ever doing that. But the last year or so (maybe a bit longer) I think everything has just piled up and i genuinely don't look forward to games that much anymore. The idea of not watching a United game (or any football for that matter) no longer sounds absurd. I will always support United as I've followed them my whole life and they're basically apart of me. But perhaps a break would do me good.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Well here we are again.

2-0 and the TV has gone over to something else.

Teja

Yeah I think I'm bored with football at this point. We're never improving under current ownership.

daveskimufc

Yep,

Whilst I'll forget this by sat Eve and be all positive for Burnley, I'm growing more and more inclined to just not care. Really tired of this sh*t.

Leg-End

I’m struggling to see how we even fix it, short and medium term. Buying hasn’t worked out well for us for years, development of youth would mean patience of which there is none.

We need a full reset and it will never happen.

Red Star One

Yeah I don’t even know what to hope for. Complete structure overhaul and glazers gone would be a good first step.

TrailMonkey

Yep. I don't see enough consistent progress in any areas of the park to expect us to achieve anything this season.

Who knows how much better we might be playing if we were injury free, but we're not, and we're showing no signs of improvement from last year. A few decent 15-20 min starts, but no-one capable of sticking the ball in the back of the net, then it all goes to pot.

Jacob

Long time ago. I get angry briefly and then remind myself that this is the new normal - we're just shit.

Godfather

It's not like we are really playing for something so there's really no reason to get wound up anymore. We are so far off winning anything it's pretty pointless getting angry

The One and Only

After 10 years of hope and multiple false dawns, I'm finally done with football and United. It's not good for my mental health

Nothing's going to change until the Glazers are gone. And that will never happen until a majority of United fans boycott matches ( I know. Never going to happen)

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Apathy the only real solution since the match going fans don’t really seem to care. Zero standards.

TomSkalle

2 first chances, 2 goals.
That after we needlessly give the ball away over and over.

I mean, yes its not easy to like this team.

Telsim

Hardly care at this point. Apathy has all but set in completely. Wins come as pleasant surprises, losses come as expected outcomes, with the occasional humiliation in for good measure. I'm watching out of habit.

DON’T PANIC ™

I forgot myself and cheered instinctively at 3-2 tonight but when we scored our third to make it 4-3, I couldn’t have cared less.

soapythecat

I live in Scotland now and work with Old Firms supporting lads. They have been saying for quite some time how they think ETH is a average manager, the team lacks quality and joked at the players we’ve bought. The gamblers amongst them consistently place bets on United conceded 2+ goals.
I mention this because many United fans have far too much faith in ETH but the reality is all other fans have made the decision that he and the team aren’t good enough after watching us. Im at the point where I also expect us to get beat and anythjng else is a bonus. I’m sick of turning off games because watching us is depressing. It’s just shit.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
God forbid they enjoy watching their favorite team play. The audacity.
Liverpool fans would have burned the stadium down by now. Madrid, I can only imagine.

The reality is this fanbase is far, far too accepting of what happens and the fall from grace. It’s a complete joke.

SirCactus

We’re five games into the season, and I must say I’m already feeling apathetic. Of course, I still want us to win and I’ll support the team for the rest of the season, but what I mean is, I feel pretty numb when we do lose. Basically, how I’ve felt for most of the last decade or so. With stuff off the field as well, it all feels a bit hopeless.

I get angry in the moment, but that dissipates very quickly. It’s probably the worst feeling as a fan.
It is an understandable reaction to the start of the season, but I think it is too soon to be apathetic, or to give up on this side and our manager. We had a good season last year, both in the cups and retaking a top 4 spot ahead of the scousers. I feel that tonight v Munich has some positive vibes as well. Ok, another defeat, but we did not roll over. Brighton was worrying at the weekend but we also need to accept that they are a fantastic side and we got them at the wrong time.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Liverpool fans would have burned the stadium down by now. Madrid, I can only imagine.

The reality is this fanbase is far, far too accepting of what happens and the fall from grace. It’s a complete joke.
Burn down the stadium because the team isn't winning? Liverpool didn't win anything for 20 years and their stadium still stands.

Telsim

I think it would be wise to invest less emotion. I still care enough to come on here and post though.
Yep. I really should start watching and browsing much less. But then I get bored at work and open the Caf. It's also a bit like a good trainwreck - I just can't look away. But I really should. :lol:

sugar_kane

I realised last night what is the main cause of my unhappiness in relation to the club is all the noise around it.

I didn’t go online during the first half and just enjoyed the game for what it was, a tricky away game against a top side. I thought we played fairly well and were deeply unlucky to be 2-0 down.

Then I came on the match thread and found the rabid pissing and moaning bore no relation to my own experience and realised it’s time to just start ignoring this shit. Start ignoring all the comments on articles, stay off the replies on Twitter, etc.

The media as well are also a huge factor in ruining my enjoyment of the game and following United, amping up everything to apocalyptic levels and scrutinising everything - the meltdown over Ten Hag’s Sancho comments are a great example of this.

I think I’m just gonna stick to watching games to be honest. Sometimes we’ll be shit, sometimes we’ll be good, often somewhere in the middle, but I’d rather just make my own mind up than absorbing and internalising all the pressure and insanity of the constant, hyperbolic wittering that follows everything we do.

Marcus

I didn't wake up at 3am to watch the CL match. Apathy is setting in good and proper.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
It is an understandable reaction to the start of the season, but I think it is too soon to be apathetic, or to give up on this side and our manager. We had a good season last year, both in the cups and retaking a top 4 spot ahead of the scousers. I feel that tonight v Munich has some positive vibes as well. Ok, another defeat, but we did not roll over. Brighton was worrying at the weekend but we also need to accept that they are a fantastic side and we got them at the wrong time.
It's not just a this season issue for me. I mention this season just because it's a new one and you always go into it hopeful, but as i said, this has been something that has been creeping up on me for the past decade or more. It's both United and football in general. It's both what's on the pitch, and off it. The ownership issue, not just with the glazers, but with the people we'd probably be taken over by if they were to sell. It's just the whole landscape, I guess. I mean, the best team in the world at the moment are a bunch of financially doped up cheats. All very soulless.

Red Stone

The apathy set in years ago and never left. Any optimism that might have come from improvements on the pitch quickly gets wiped out by scandals and feckery from the owners and executives at the club and vice versa.

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
I’m struggling to see how we even fix it, short and medium term. Buying hasn’t worked out well for us for years, development of youth would mean patience of which there is none.

We need a full reset and it will never happen.
We don't need a full reset mate, just a tactical tweak and a Casemiro buddy-up and a gradual process to 433 from the safer 4231 or an in-game alternative. But we do need to improve the quality of our 2CDM & 2CB though. Really need more pace and quality from our CB when Varane is out.

Lee565

I wonder how teams like Madrid, Barca, Bayern would react a start from a manager without any notable trophies in the bank with the club?

I get the feeling th glazers would still not do anything even if we are languishing in mid table come the beginning of November

Kinky Melinky

I get the same emotions watching United as I do watching The Republic of Ireland. Losing doesn't send me into severe disappointment. Obviously in both cases I'd like to see the teams win and succeed, but I've accepted the reality of the situations.

SirCactus

It's not just a this season issue for me. I mention this season just because it's a new one and you always go into it hopeful, but as i said, this has been something that has been creeping up on me for the past decade or more. It's both United and football in general. It's both what's on the pitch, and off it. The ownership issue, not just with the glazers, but with the people we'd probably be taken over by if they were to sell. It's just the whole landscape, I guess. I mean, the best team in the world at the moment are a bunch of financially doped up cheats. All very soulless.
Yes. Football has lost a lot of what it used to stand for. The PL era introduced seismic changes and not all of them for the better. City are a disgrace, but the bigger disgrace are the UEFA and FA regulators who look the other way. It is hard to admit, but you have to admire the way Liverpool challenged in recent years on a fraction of City's resources. We spent more and got a poorer return, but it shows what is possible. Nothing will be done about City scandal though.

SirCactus

Good outcome on Saturday evening. Burnley is a tough ground and they play with confidence. Bruno did very well for the goal amd in general. Johnny Evans deserves some plaudits as well. Great assist and positional play was good. Easy for opposition fans to mock him and Maguire, it pains me when our own do it too. 'United' should not just be an adjective in the club title. Real fans need to support our players and focus on the bigger picture. ETH has the tools, he just needs a united fanbase to get behind the team.

TomSkalle

Good outcome on Saturday evening. Burnley is a tough ground and they play with confidence. Bruno did very well for the goal amd in general. Johnny Evans deserves some plaudits as well. Great assist and positional play was good. Easy for opposition fans to mock him and Maguire, it pains me when our own do it too. 'United' should not just be an adjective in the club title. Real fans need to support our players and focus on the bigger picture. ETH has the tools, he just needs a united fanbase to get behind the team.
I dont think he has the tools.
Most players dont have the passing skill/technical ability or energy levels required to play ETH ball

On top of that we have constant loop of players that either need rest or are injury prone.
Rest because of age or other reasons.
Injury prone players that really never reach max potential in the season because they are either out or coming back/into shape.
The whole squad is a mess.
On top of that you have the owner situation, economic siuation and players we want to unload but nobody wants to buy because of high wages.
All the internal nonsense going on.

Its not enough to back the manager or stay positive.
I wish it was.

IMO.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Didn't watch the game on Saturday but I saw the result. Wasn't surprised at all. Another shrug of the shoulders and nothing more than that. We now have a must-win game this week against Galatasaray, and I can't say I'm really up for it. A big CL game, at home, in a must-win game, and I have zero confidence in getting anything from it.

Was listening to Talk of The Devil's Pod and Mitten was talking about the apathy around the ground. I feel like more and more people are feeling this way as the weeks go by. I think a lot of people are just going through the motions at the moment. Including the players, unfortunately.

Monmouthshire Red

Supports
Chester
Didn't watch the game on Saturday but I saw the result. Wasn't surprised at all. Another shrug of the shoulders and nothing more than that. We now have a must-win game this week against Galatasaray, and I can't say I'm really up for it. A big CL game, at home, in a must-win game, and I have zero confidence in getting anything from it.

Was listening to Talk of The Devil's Pod and Mitten was talking about the apathy around the ground. I feel like more and more people are feeling this way as the weeks go by. I think a lot of people are just going through the motions at the moment. Including the players, unfortunately.
Yeah pretty much this. It's a constant loop of mediocrity with the odd false dawn thrown in. So reminiscent of Liverpool in the 20 or so years before Klopp.