Has Garnacho surpassed Januzaj already?

sillwuka

Both have had similar breakthrough seasons but Adnan had more time on the pitch minutes wise, the gap would be less if Garnacho wasn't injured.

Do you feel Garnacho will make it here and was there a point when you realised Januzaj ultimately wouldn't?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Garnacho has pace. Can’t understate how important that is and how much further it sets him apart from Januzaj

Remember the geese

Januzaj had the talent to make it here, but not the mentality. I also feel that he was badly coached. Garnacho seems to have a stronger mentality and is fortunate to have ten Hag. The only issue Garnacho has is that he's up against Rashford.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
With teenagers, only time will tell. Give him two-three full seasons and we’ll see. It’s up to himself. It’s in his mind if he wants to be successful or not. Maintain high level of that over a few seasons and he can be the best player in the world.

Sgreddevil

Both may have similar footballing skills (or Januzaj edges slightly ) but Garnacho has the speed and grit which are key attributes to excel in the PL and they are required to propel a player with potential to become a truly world class forward. CR7 had that when he broke into the scene and everyone can tell he is going to become the next big thing.
Just have to hope Garnacho can keep his head down and stay focused. Excited over his prospects

ROFLUTION

Garnacho seems hungrier. That can change with a young player however, but he also has more pace which was Januzaj’s big problem. Just cant get past a man without pace.

Remember the geese

Garnacho has pace. Can’t understate how important that is and how much further it sets him apart from Januzaj
Januzaj was naturally a playmaker in the mould of David Silva so he shouldn't have been reliant on pace. However, the brain boxes at the club were trying to mould him into a Cristiano Ronaldo type.

shahzy

He has surpassed Januzaj but most embarrassingly, he has far surpassed Sancho.

At full strength, Sancho has no place in this team going forward. Should be new striker, Rashford, Fernandes, potentially Amad/Antony with Garnacho as first sub or intertwining with Rashford and getting Rashford as ST

Lentwood

More than a few people have suggested Januzaj let it go to his head and he stopped putting the work in. He was insanely talented though, should have been a top player. Not had much luck with our top academy talents recently, Pogba left on a free twice, Janujaz seemingly had attitude problems and Greenwood turned out to be a bellend

InfiniteBoredom

He’s far surpassed Januzaj if we are just talking numbers.

Januzaj 13/14 All Comps: 5G 8A 2345 min.
Garnacho 22/23 All Comps : 6G 6A 1310 min.

And in searching for these numbers, I just found out Adnan is plying his trade in Turkey at the ripe old age of 28. One of the biggest waste of talent ever.

El Jefe

Easily, I was off the Januzaj hype train after his first 3 months.

Januzaj in the academy was a D.Silva and Ozil type of player, he had ridiculous talent. Moyes the muppet got him and for some reason decided to develop him like he was Giggs or Bale and he was never good or fast enough to be that kind of player. Looking back mentally I'm not sure he was ready. No manager really took to him after.

Garnacho on the other hand we know what he is and its 100% clear the type of player he can become. Most importantly from a mentality standpoint he really does remind me of a young CR7. He seems to have a confidence and good arrogance about him. EtH and Bruno both questioned him publicly and it didn't faze him one bit he took it on and kept getting better.

vangagal

One had an clueless imposter as manager the other has Erik ten Hag. Januzaj would be fine under EtH in his early career i reckon.

InfiniteBoredom

One had an clueless imposter as manager the other has Erik ten Hag. Januzaj would be fine under EtH in his early career i reckon.
Not really buying that, the issue seems to be with the player himself. Butt was very critical of his attitude, and his career trajectory since, being in and out of a middling Spanish team to playing in Turkey in what should be his prime, suggests that he doesn’t have the mentality to succeed.

vangagal

Not really buying that, the issue seems to be with the player himself. Butt was very critical of his attitude, and his career trajectory since, being in and out of a middling Spanish team to playing in Turkey in what should be his prime, suggests that he doesn’t have the mentality to succeed.
I'm aware of Janujaz problematic personality but EtH has proven he can work around that as we can see with variety of problem here, CR, Maguire, even Garnacho had slight problem with his ego earlier this season.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Januzaj was the right player at the wrong time. He had immense talent.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think the issue with Januzaj was end product more than it ever was pace. He could pass a player with actual dribbling ability (say in contrast to Sancho) but he wasn’t doing much in the final third.

He did okay after leaving us — there were small windows of form during his time at Sociedad where he played very well, I think the issue was just injuries and possibly his own mentality

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
No. But if he has one decent game next season he will have.

InfiniteBoredom

I'm aware of Janujaz problematic personality but EtH has proven he can work around that as we can see with variety of problem here, CR, Maguire, even Garnacho had slight problem with his ego earlier this season.
CR had a public spat with the club and left. Sancho’s mentality is still rubbish. Maguire is barely playing, and only out of necessity when he does, and still making calamitous mistakes.

EtH is a good coach but he isn’t a magician, in the case of Januzaj, it seems to be a problem with application more than anything, truly coasting on his talent rather than working hard to improve. Garnacho was late for meetings and sloppy with his attire, pretty normal for a teenager, Januzaj moaned about Dortmund’s facility when on loan there instead of trying to immerse himself in the culture.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Adnan looked a great player and the only shining light in that Moyes season, looked like he was destined for big things but then his form fell off a cliff. It seems a little unfair to me, must have been tough in such a dysfunctional squad under Moyes and then LvG.

siw2007

It’s not much of an accomplishment but yes. Januzaj had all the talent but poor attitude mixed in with circumstances surrounding the team meant he never made it. I remember at the time, after the Pogba fiasco of 2012, the other big clubs in Europe were all set to exploit our policy on youth team players, we did what we had to do to avoid a repeat, as such the expectations grew on him and I don’t think he had the personality to handle it at that age.

Garnacho may be talented, but he plays with an aggression and determination to win. Despite an increase in publicity, he still seems to have remained somewhat grounded which gives him a great shot at making it.

Red Rash

I don't think it makes sense to compare the two. Januzaj in his first season looked really promising and it seemed we had a star on our hands but it didn't work out. Garnacho is in his first season and also looks like a potential superstar but he still needs to prove it for a sustained period of time. The way he has performed this season has been great but we still need to see him improve and keep progressing. Enough time hasn't played out to say Garnacho has surpassed Januzaj yet

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
. His only good season was under Moyes. It went to shit for Adnan under LVG

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Different player altogether and it will be interesting to watch his development and discover his ceiling. As for the question of the thread, is there really anything for him to surpass?

CM

It's difficult to say, Januzaj was a different type of player. From memory, Januzaj did more for us as a starter but that might be a bit of a fallacy based on how bad we were as a team during the Moyes season.

Garnacho definitely will surpass Januzaj if he hasn't already, though. Garnacho is much grittier and his direct nature means it's obvious what he offers to the team. Januzaj had a bit more nuance and some managers didn't know what to do with him. The fact that Garnacho has a coach who clearly rates him and will continue to play him is a huge advantage already.

FriedClams

Garnacho seems hungrier. That can change with a young player however, but he also has more pace which was Januzaj’s big problem. Just cant get past a man without pace.
januzaj to me looked like he had similar attributes to David Silva, who didn’t have much pace at all. Adnans issue was always his attitude.