Has Garnacho surpassed Januzaj already?

Abraxas

Januzaj would have made it if he had ETH developing him. His mentality would never have been an issue if he had the right coach and competent CEO and director of football.

If Garnacho broke out that year I assure you he would have been the same as Januzaj. It was already made out that Januzaj has already made it with Woodward giving him a good contract to fend off PSG and giving him the #11 shirt.

ETH has been keeping Garnacho grounded and even after the post-press conference already stated that he needs to learn and point out his weakness whilst praising him at the same time.
I'm not convinced he would have "made it." He's got a whole career behind him. Where is the evidence that he has been good enough for Man Utd, at any stage?

Can't just blame us. The responsibility has been with him as his career plays out to improve and show he's worth it for a top football team and at no point was this even close to happening.

All it shows me is it's about way more than flashes of great technique and reserve performances. At big clubs you need to bring more to the table.

OrcaFat

Looking back at Januzaj, he was lacking in many ways but he had a cool head and a smooth technique. “Cultured” seems a suitable description.

Garnacho is raw, of course, but he’s deadly. His pace is enough to put opponents out of their shape and rhythm. He needs time but I’d say he already looks a much better prospect than Januzaj who was never more than a prospect himself, sad to say.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Honestly I felt more sure about Januzaj making it. Just seemed like the bigger talent. I still blame LVG for his demise but deep down I know it was his personal issues.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I never saw it in Januzaj. I saw a player who I thought was another Chris Eagles. Good, but not good enough. Garanacho on the other hand is going to be a star. This kid has it all. Just needs to keep his head on his shoulders and his ego in check and he will be huge for us

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Garnacho looks the best player on the field whenever he comes on for a 20 minute burst. He has "it". I don't think Januzaj ever did.

Now the trick is to develop Garnacho from a truly impactful sub, to someone who can affect a game for an entire 90 minutes

Flanders Devil

I think there's a bit of confirmation bias and recency bias going on here, in the sense that it seems like an overwhelming number of people saying Garnacho.

I hope everyone is right, but the difference overall for breakout season alone isn't huge. We just know how the story goes for Adnan; and have hope and aspirations for Garnacho.

I remember being equally as excited when Adnan burst onto the scene as I am now. Fingers crossed.

Strootman's Finger

Januzaj was one of the few highlights in an otherwise disastrous season. He did have some moments, and briefly looked like he may make it, but I think a lot of it was exaggerated by the fact everything else going on at the club was so negative. I feel bad for him, I think his career was ruined because of it. Now he had time to recover and make more of his career, but during his most formative years he was made to carry the hope and expectations of United fans, when he should have been slowly bedded into the team. There was far too much pressure on him early on, and no protection from Moyes, because he needed him to provide some positivity.

Personally Garnacho looks to be in a different category than Januzaj, he's got lots of work to do, and it can go either way, but he's got the makings of a special player. Januzaj was a bright spark in a dour season, much like Elanga was last year.

crossy1686

career ending
Listened to Mitten on a podcast yesterday who said that Januzaj managed to piss off everyone at United after breaking through to the point his teammates didn't like him. Then he ended up at Dortmund on loan and they sent him back because he was a dickhead there as well.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Even though Januzaj was very hyped and talented back in his time, I’ve always felt there’s something very wrong with his mentality which affects his decision making. People at that time take this for granted as he is still young and learning, but I just don’t buy that.

I’ve never felt the same fundamental flaw ever appears from Garnacho, although I am still not quite sure how good he could be in future.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Love Garnacho and firmly expecting him to develop to be a mega player for us, but I saw this on Twitter and Januzaj was absolutely class in the early days, he should have gone on to be a big part of the team!

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Garnacho looks like he’ll turn out the better player. He always causes problems whenever coming on for like 10/15 mins. Can’t remember januzaj ever causing opposition problems. Although he did have a good left foot.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Januzaj is incidentally the first player I think of when I think of young players who get over-hyped too quickly. The poor kid had 2 or 3 good performances against midtable opposition with low stakes and plenty of space, and then everyone lost their mind and thought he was gonna be the next Ronaldo. I was also excited mind you, but I could not see how his overall level justified even half the hype.

Garnacho is already better for me. His average level is definitely higher. That doesn't mean that he's guaranteed to be a success, but I feel much better about him than I did about Januzaj.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Garnacho looks like he’ll turn out the better player. He always causes problems whenever coming on for like 10/15 mins. Can’t remember januzaj ever causing opposition problems. Although he did have a good left foot.
it’s a pretty low bar now as Januzaj’s career has really faltered but in that clip he looks phenomenal, and I remember being very excited about him at the time, that second goal is as good as you’ll see!

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
it’s a pretty low bar now as Januzaj’s career has really faltered but in that clip he looks phenomenal, and I remember being very excited about him at the time, that second goal is as good as you’ll see!
Was that the goal against Sunderland?

mu4c_20le

He was the best we had that season, just like how Antony was the best right winger we had last season. Low bar makes you look better and more important. Although he did appear to do more in that 2 minute clip than Mudryk did all season.

PSV

It's all about the system. Januzaj was a better midfielder (traditional winger), but Garnacho seems to have a lot more potential as a forward player (inside forward). Time will tell.

Garnacho isn't very creative, I hope he can add that to his game, then he'll go far.

Playing with a very low amount of creativity (between Rash, Garnacho, Antony) on both wings is a bit strange, so I understand why he's trying to get Bruno playing there.

Alan Partridge

Januzaj had a lot more about him imo. He could play the balls others couldn’t see, always inventive and super silky.

Garnacho is fast and direct but often looks out of control and certainly can’t open defenses with a clever pass like Januzaj could.

But obviously things didn’t work out the way we hoped and expected for Adnan. Hopefully the case is different for Garnacho.

PSV

It's worth noting that Garnacho may end up getting less chances than Januzaj when all is said and done, but it's easier to be fighting 93-year old Giggs for a spot than Rashford.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
The memory of Adnan shines brighter than his actual performances on the field. He had talent but he was not as good as people like to make out.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Always thought Januzaj was overhyped during one of our most underwhelming period. There's some major flaw in his game, that I don't see him making it big here. But he was breathe of fresh air in our squad back then, for a brief period, more due to his young fresh legs, silky move and adventurous play. He did bring some light to our dull football for a short while though, and you just wonder if he keep improving there could be a good player in him somewhere. But he didn't make any progress since.

Garnacho though, I always rate him higher. I think he has more talented, more direct style and more of a force to reckon with.

zaafi

Januzaj had a lot more about him imo. He could play the balls others couldn’t see, always inventive and super silky.

Garnacho is fast and direct but often looks out of control and certainly can’t open defenses with a clever pass like Januzaj could.

But obviously things didn’t work out the way we hoped and expected for Adnan. Hopefully the case is different for Garnacho.
Did you forget Garnacho's assist to McTominay already?

Januzaj was so painfully average so probably yes
In that first season under Moyes januzaj was our best dribbler and creator, perhaps our only creative player, at 18. He had really exceptional technique and scored some really important, quality goals too. Clearly his attitude was a disaster and after that initial spell he fell apart, but it's really harsh to call him nothing.

Someone up there compared him to Chris Eagles, which is insanity. There are things Januzaj could do aged 18 that eagles could never. Januzaj was really talented but his application was awful, Eagles was average with good application.

Back to thread topic, by the end of their first season Januzaj and Garnacho both were approaching the starting 11. Januzaj had started more pl games, but he was playing for a worse team, so I'd say they're pretty equal. Both were/are massive fan favourites, but neither were guaranteed starters, and both have had comments made about their pitch behaviour during this time. The lesson here for me is clearly that it's easy to get carried away when a youth player makes an instant impact. God forbid, if Garnacho gets really egotistical next season and his form collapses, noone is gonna care about the goal he scored against Fulham, just like no-one cares about the goals Januzaj scored against Sunderland. Doesn't mean either of them are nothing players.

FriedClams

Garnacho may need to reinvent himself as a striker or an option off the right. He has absolutely zero chance of displacing Rashford, no matter how bad marcus plays.

USREDEVIL

Garnacho may need to reinvent himself as a striker or an option off the right. He has absolutely zero chance of displacing Rashford, no matter how bad marcus plays.
Not as a starter but i bet he'll get plenty of minutes to avoid injuring Rashford. Cup games, subs. etc.

tomaldinho1

In that first season under Moyes januzaj was our best dribbler and creator, perhaps our only creative player, at 18. He had really exceptional technique and scored some really important, quality goals too. Clearly his attitude was a disaster and after that initial spell he fell apart, but it's really harsh to call him nothing.

Someone up there compared him to Chris Eagles, which is insanity. There are things Januzaj could do aged 18 that eagles could never. Januzaj was really talented but his application was awful, Eagles was average with good application.

Back to thread topic, by the end of their first season Januzaj and Garnacho both were approaching the starting 11. Januzaj had started more pl games, but he was playing for a worse team, so I'd say they're pretty equal. Both were/are massive fan favourites, but neither were guaranteed starters, and both have had comments made about their pitch behaviour during this time. The lesson here for me is clearly that it's easy to get carried away when a youth player makes an instant impact. God forbid, if Garnacho gets really egotistical next season and his form collapses, noone is gonna care about the goal he scored against Fulham, just like no-one cares about the goals Januzaj scored against Sunderland. Doesn't mean either of them are nothing players.
I just never saw it. I thought for how he wanted to play he wasn’t quite fast enough, almost like he should have come inside and been a 10. That team wasn’t that bad though, it was old but full of very good players. I’m not convinced on Garnacho for what it’s worth but he has a more dynamic style about him which I think will translate better in the PL.

Erik the Red

For those that remember Januzaj, the hopes of a generation of United fans rested on his shoulders, and I think that is the difference between him and Garnacho. Garnacho will be able to develop at his own pace, without massive pressure. He has Rashford ahead of him, and Antony, Sancho and MG on the other wing, so ETH doesn't need to rely on him, and can play him when it suits his development, 5 minutes here, 10 minutes there, etc. With ETH's coaching skills, Garnacho has got every opportunity to fulfill his potential.

El Jefe

If he has two good games next season, yes. And I'm pretty sure he will by the end of August.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Was that the goal against Sunderland?
Yes it’s in the Twitter clip I posted. He was outstanding that game, I think people have forgotten the hype surrounding him, he was fantastic when he first got into the first team.

I think Garnacho will kick on again this year and surpass him but he’s such a wasted talent imo, an EtH working with him I think he’d have been a long term player for us.

M Bison

Supports
York City

Bob on

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
That Sunderland game was good but overall after the hype settled I thought he was too slow to make it at the elite level.

tidraKS

If Januzaj had a different mentality and attitude, he'd be a world star right now, he was that good. His touch was amazing. Totally different player to Garnacho.

wolvored

It's worth noting that Garnacho may end up getting less chances than Januzaj when all is said and done, but it's easier to be fighting 93-year old Giggs for a spot than Rashford.
Yes this is the only fly in the ointment for Garnacho. Especially now we have a proper CF and therefore Rashford wont be required as much to play there. Could he swap and play on the other wing as a traditional winger? Antony hasnt exactly set the RW alight.

bringbackbebe

The hindsight "I always thought" slating that Januzaj gets to push up Garnacho is quite unbelievable. He was a special talent who unfortunately started his career in the worst possible era at United & lost his way in the head due to poor mentorship & a ill suited manager in LVG. This will be the case for 9/10 special talents that emerge through since it requires the right manager setting the right environment in the right era & a tremendous amount of luck to make it to Giggs levels.