g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Has (international) football become too generic?

Hammondo

This is what good competition does, forces everyone to move towards the best ways of playing or be left behind.

Oranges038

A theory that I have heard is that there is a lot less street football influence in young players, the only football they know is organized football which is all about efficiency, discipline and end product. Even on the caf, we are too focused on silverware and stats spreadsheet, we have people proudly claiming that they only care about winning and not entertainment.
Kids are over coached from when they start playing for clubs at 5 or 6 in almost every club right down to your basic Sunday league team. It's a formulaic approach that includes everything from the way they kick the ball to how they play and where to run and what positions to pick up. It's too structured and leaves little room for kids to develop their own style or understanding of the game.

There is no flair left in football, barely any excitement. Football is played on spreadsheets now.

R'hllor

Something I was thinking about the other day watching Mancini’s Italy pressing high and pushing to extend their goal difference, then thinking back to the Brazil teams at recent World Cups where that lethargic rhythm has long gone. Has club football becoming such an international affair inevitably lead to a dilution of the style and culture that made international tournaments in the slightest bit interesting?

The Netherlands is another one, it was a really exciting match against Ukraine but there’s only the most fleeting references to Cruyff in their play, in fact the same Cruyff influences are now as evident in Spanish football as they are Dutch.

I guess it was an inevitability of a mixing of ideas over decades, with all nationalities of coaches training all nationality players on a daily basis but it does feel like something has been lost on the international stage because of it.

Which nations are staying truest to the style of football they are synonymous with?
Serbia, technical with zero running.

manc exile

Supports
City
Kids are over coached from when they start playing for clubs at 5 or 6 in almost every club right down to your basic Sunday league team. It's a formulaic approach that includes everything from the way they kick the ball to how they play and where to run and what positions to pick up. It's too structured and leaves little room for kids to develop their own style or understanding of the game.

There is no flair left in football, barely any excitement. Football is played on spreadsheets now.
as everything in football it goes in cycles.
spain and barca were succesful with tikki takka, followed by other teams notably bayern and city

because it was successful, it was copied

Liverpool showed how the approach could be overcome, however it failed to gain traction because it petered out after a couple of seasons whereas the tikka takka way carried on producing the titles. City have 8 major trohies in 4 years compared to Liverpools 2 (arguably 3 depending on how you rate the world club). If Liverpools approach (or another approach) comes back and crushes city and other teams tikka takka style then there will be another shift.

Our perspective might also be skewed by the fact that we havent won a trophy in 4 years and havent won the league in almost a decade. It might be that for us Football seems less exciting not because it is less exciting but because we arent winning.

ThreeCorners

It's the euros, so I think styles were always likely to be more homogeneous. Most of the players would be concentrated in just a few countries' leagues playing the same way.
Probably see more variation at the world cup, but also many players would be Europe based. And the world is so connected now, so you don't really see football stars or teams emerge out of the blue to surprise anyone.

Oranges038

as everything in football it goes in cycles.
spain and barca were succesful with tikki takka, followed by other teams notably bayern and city

because it was successful, it was copied

Liverpool showed how the approach could be overcome, however it failed to gain traction because it petered out after a couple of seasons whereas the tikka takka way carried on producing the titles. City have 8 major trohies in 4 years compared to Liverpools 2 (arguably 3 depending on how you rate the world club). If Liverpools approach (or another approach) comes back and crushes city and other teams tikka takka style then there will be another shift.

Our perspective might also be skewed by the fact that we havent won a trophy in 4 years and havent won the league in almost a decade. It might be that for us Football seems less exciting not because it is less exciting but because we arent winning.
It's not just about the style or winning. For me it's about the players that are out there and the overall entertainment levels of the sport.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Was thinking watching Holland-Ukraine the other day how technical and cat and mouse matches at the top level have really become as that certainly wasn't!

Both teams basically playing without a central midfield for the first half of that given both were running through up to edge of the box on numerous occasions and Holland didn't have anyone in left back spot for most of it either.

The coaches watching might hate that type of carefree match but I loved it and it didn't do any harm most of football being like that in 90s and early 2000s before rise of pragmatist coaches like Mourinho and Benitez who suddenly made business end of CL seasons as chess matches and that translated eventually to international football and then league seasons.

KeanoMagicHat

Was thinking watching Holland-Ukraine the other day how technical and cat and mouse matches at the top level have really become as that certainly wasn't!

Both teams basically playing without a central midfield for the first half of that given both were running through up to edge of the box on numerous occasions and Holland didn't have anyone in left back spot for most of it either.

The coaches watching might hate that type of carefree match but I loved it and it didn't do any harm most of football being like that in 90s and early 2000s before rise of pragmatist coaches like Mourinho and Benitez who suddenly made business end of CL seasons as chess matches and that translated eventually to international football and then league seasons.
Yeah whatever for Guardiola influenced possession football, Mourinho glamourised 'the ball is your enemy' tactics that mean that you get more games of 80-20% possession when it rarely went past 60-40 in the 90s and 00s. It has led to a lot of attack vs defence matches that are often tedious to watch. Spain vs Sweden last night was a typical example. Spain liked to keep the ball and had 86% possession in the game. But there's no way Sweden only have 14% unless they are actively trying to hoof it and put everyone in their own half. It takes two to tango and Sweden had no intention of keeping the ball.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Something I was thinking about the other day watching Mancini’s Italy pressing high and pushing to extend their goal difference, then thinking back to the Brazil teams at recent World Cups where that lethargic rhythm has long gone. Has club football becoming such an international affair inevitably lead to a dilution of the style and culture that made international tournaments in the slightest bit interesting?

The Netherlands is another one, it was a really exciting match against Ukraine but there’s only the most fleeting references to Cruyff in their play, in fact the same Cruyff influences are now as evident in Spanish football as they are Dutch.

I guess it was an inevitability of a mixing of ideas over decades, with all nationalities of coaches training all nationality players on a daily basis but it does feel like something has been lost on the international stage because of it.

Which nations are staying truest to the style of football they are synonymous with?
Wales five at the back with one in attack

SER19

Im not sure i agree though get the point.

Spain passed to death with 85% possession, Italy had immobile at centre forward and had a rock solid defence celebrating tackles, was struck by how confident on the ball so many Dutch were. I think there's still very much a national identity to styles

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I think the subtleties are still there, it's just sometimes countries have a plethora of certain players breakthrough and lack others that they were previously great in. Another big one IMO is how international football management has definitely become secondary to club football (that whole drama with Spain last world cup and Lopetegui, Koeman leaving Netherlands despite doing very well for them before taking on the Euros). The majority of the time you get failed club managers take over their countries (look at England's record of managers and how they did before they took the job...). There's almost never a proven or even decent club football manager in charge of a country. Flick taking over from Low after this Euro will make Germany favourites alone for the next World Cup IMO.

Look at Mancini's impact since he took over Italy. Undefeated and hasn't conceded a goal in ages, and Italy are looking better than at any point since 2006. Spain will be decent with Enrique too IMO, but at the end of the day you need the players and they have no goalscorers to make the difference. The rare times these days that a genuinely good club manager takes over a country (even Van Gaal in 2014), they have a huge impact. Mourinho for me should go to international management. Rodgers should look at England once they move on from Southgate. It's almost like a waste of a good generation of players if the FA don't push hard for a top manager.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Spain play more like Van Gaal than Cruijff and football evolves, for all the plaudits heeped on Cruijff, we never actually won anything with him.
Hxkkkk, hex on you!

Traitorous Dake futchie!

Such blasphemy has seen you exiled, hasn't it?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
this is just fanciful horseshit
Oh ok, thanks for your reply
i could have given a more nuanced response
but when someone says the sky is yellow with purple polka dots i could explain about raleigh scattering of smaller wavelengths etc etc, but the obvious thing to do is say look at it, its blue
the same is true of the original post
this is just fanciful horseshit
:lol:

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I think this is a call for latter point in the competition when we see what teams look like once they're settled and have gotten group stage nerves out of their collective systems, so worth revisiting this thread in a week or two.