Has Jose lost his mojo?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
True, but he maintain it.

Somehow, i am wondering, what does he have to do to be recognised.

He manages to win more trophies than Wenger has ever done mind you, and even against the weaker sides, winning 3 on the trot is not an easy task, Even Fergie hasn't managed 4 in a row being in the top flight, stable condition, great support.

All and all, I'm only trying to say that he is that good.
Probably take up a more challenging job where he actually doesn't take over a team that is superior to it's competition.

I know he established himself as a world class manager at Chelsea but it wasn't a tough decision for him to make to go there. And IMO no matter how well they played (or in their case results they got) it was far too comfortable a job where he had unlimited sums of money to spend on putting together a monster of a squad, at a time when United and Arsenal themselves were devoid of any mojo.

When Fergie rebuilt us and a certain Portugese made his mark we won the title again.

At Inter, the squad he inherited is miles better than the competition and to be perceieved as successful he has to win the CL, which is always a bit of a lottery. So while he can keep winning Serie A's with them and improve his CV, his greatness as a manager will not increase, and if anything with bad press, could fall.

He did great at Porto but to be honest I don't know much about that stint. Some say he had things easy and got the best portugese talents (and they were very talented) easily and won titles, but I don't know about that. The CL was a great achievement but it is a bit of a lottery at times and even Benitez won that with a team just as good.

So my point is that I'd like to see Mourinho go to a club with potential and turn them into a champion team. I know Wenger has been criticsed a lot for no trophies the last four years, but he did MAKe a team of champions. Fergie's singlehandidly created an empire toppling over the exiting rulers. Getting a team to play well is one thing, building greatness is another.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Probably take up a more challenging job where he actually doesn't take over a team that is superior to it's competition.

I know he established himself as a world class manager at Chelsea but it wasn't a tough decision for him to make to go there. And IMO no matter how well they played (or in their case results they got) it was far too comfortable a job where he had unlimited sums of money to spend on putting together a monster of a squad, at a time when United and Arsenal themselves were devoid of any mojo.

When Fergie rebuilt us and a certain Portugese made his mark we won the title again.

At Inter, the squad he inherited is miles better than the competition and to be perceieved as successful he has to win the CL, which is always a bit of a lottery. So while he can keep winning Serie A's with them and improve his CV, his greatness as a manager will not increase, and if anything with bad press, could fall.

He did great at Porto but to be honest I don't know much about that stint. Some say he had things easy and got the best portugese talents (and they were very talented) easily and won titles, but I don't know about that. The CL was a great achievement but it is a bit of a lottery at times and even Benitez won that with a team just as good.

So my point is that I'd like to see Mourinho go to a club with potential and turn them into a champion team. I know Wenger has been criticsed a lot for no trophies the last four years, but he did MAKe a team of champions. Fergie's singlehandidly created an empire toppling over the exiting rulers. Getting a team to play well is one thing, building greatness is another.
It takes a SAF / Wenger to built decades of domination, but I see that Jose is a class of his own to get in and finish strong.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Mind you that even when he inherited Ranieri's squad (most of them), he does have his handicapped of not being able to built his own squad, sheva and roman.
Sheva didn't arrive when Mourinho did.He inherited from a good team and just enhanced it, nothing that special tbh

Raoul

Admin
Staff
United is the only job big enough for Jose at this stage. He's won every relevant trophy in club football so this the only step up for him.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
While he inherited a good team at Porto, to win the UEFA Cup and Champions League in back-to-back seasons with a team from a small league remains one hell of an achievement (and undoubtedly his greatest so far).

Interista

That's because he stepped on the media's toes the moment he arrived. Then he picked a media fight with Ranieri, who was media friendly.
It was the same story when Mancini and other managers too were in charge, we have no media protection whatsoever, unlike Juve and AC Milan. In every newspaper and football Tv-show it's plenty of their fans in a journalist disguise. That's why I've always suggested you guys to be skeptic about what the Italian media write about Inter, 80% things they've been writing over the past two years were absolute rubbish.

There were times when Josè actually stepped on the media's toes but in other he just protected himself and the team from the mud he's been thrown at.

Interista

When it's the 90's I used to follow Serie A, and at that time it's the italian teams performing and short of dominating the EC. Yes, off course shit is an understatement to Inter side, but they have never won the leaque in that era. And I believe that is what Moratti wants, so bad.

If I were you i wouldn't be so quick to blame Jose for your CL, because we'll have to face it that Italian sides are not the powerhouse they were once, now it is dominated by English and Spanish team.
Yes and I told you why we had to wait so long before winning the serie A again and it was Mancini who brought back the scudetto to the black and blue side of Milan. Our current manager won the title on his first season here and quite comfortably (unlike Mancini in 2007/2008), that's a notable achievement in my opinion, also 'cause no foreign manager had ever done that in the whole serie A history in the first season in Italy.

I believe Moratti wants to win the Champions League sooner or later instead and Mourinho's record in the competition, 1 win and two narrowly lost semifinals convinced our president to sign him. We'll see where we'll get this season and we can say whether Mourinho did better than Mancini or not.

I wasn't actually blaming him, I like our manager a lot for his charisma, I just don't consider him a master tactician since he often got outsmarted by the likes of Mazzarri, Del Neri and Ventura but he's absolutely not overrated.

I don't see what the league argument has to do with what we're talking about, there are still world class players in Italy and for example we can count on the likes of Julio Cesar, Maicon, Eto'o, Lucio, Stankovic, Cambiasso, Zanetti, on paper they should have no problems vs Yarmolenko, Milevskiy, Dominguez, Ryazantsev and so on. They just don't put too much effort in the games or the manager doesn't motivate them in the right way.

Boss

Melodramatic, attention seeking space-attacker
I left you with enough memories to resurrect me wi
Interista what honestly provokes Jose to say things like this? :"The win in the Bernabeu was historic, just like the loss to Zurich at the San Siro."

He has a way with his words, he really knows how to annoy people with the subtlety of a kick to the bollox.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
La Liga. He'll go to Spain before us.
Unlikely since Real's policy of annual manager swapping wont appeal to him, particularly following his experience with Abramovich. There's nothing for him to conquer other than United.

Interista

Interista what honestly provokes Jose to say things like this? :"The win in the Bernabeu was historic, just like the loss to Zurich at the San Siro."
He has a way with his words, he really knows how to annoy people with the subtlety of a kick to the bollox.
Probably the hype around it? Ok, it was deserved but the press used it as a term of comparison with the Inter Champions League season, I think Josè was bothered by that. Galliani always jokes about our lack of success in Europe anyway, it's just banter.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Unlikely since Real's policy of annual manager swapping wont appeal to him, particularly following his experience with Abramovich. There's nothing for him to conquer other than United.
Mourinho would fancy himself to hold the manager job and put an end to that merry-go-round. But I would imagine that the power that the president and Raul have would certainly make him think twice. Indeed, I think that is the main reason why he wants our job (well, along with simply being the man to succeed Fergie) - we're one of the few top teams who will give the manager virtually free reign.