Has Martial done enough to be backed as our long-term #9?

DevilRed

Our best player yet again. Completely bought into OGS and his tactics. His workrate has doubled since the beginning of the year.

Starting to blossom into one of the best strikers in Europe.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
He's done more than enough. You'd be spending silly money to bring in someone on par or better than him. He's blossomed since lockdown.

OleBoiii

I don't consider myself a Martial critic to begin with, but the last couple of weeks has convinced me 100% nonetheless. Brilliant player.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
It's an opinion im finding harder and harder to justify recently but....I would love someone like Kane/Aubameyang as our number 9 over Martial.

It's not a priority position at the moment though as he's firing goals in. He's earned the right to be our number one striker next season.
To be fair, idiocy is never easy to justify.

Red Devil 26

Premature Examination
Aubameyang was joint top scorer last year and 2nd highest top scorer this year in a far inferior Arsenal team. Not bad for someone who doesnt have half of Martials game :houllier:

But like I said Martials earned the right to be our number 9 next season. He's playing well with others around him and hopefully he can actually keep it going this time.
I don't doubt Aubameyang's goalscoring prowess. But his hold up and link up play isn't on the same level of Martial's. The chances Martial creates and the way he brings our other forwards in to the game make him a better player IMO. Our man is also 7 years younger.

Nori-

[QUOTE="Schmeichel's Cartwheel, post: 25763483, member: 93727".]
Are you taking the piss?
[/QUOTE]

Which part? As far as I know Kane and Aubameyangs stats have been better than Martials in almost every single season of their careers.

Make him out number 9 next season? Yes. Is he a better striker than the other two? No.

Falcow

No doubt about it at all. Fair play Tony, finally looking like the talent we saw in his first season.

Incredible right now, unplayable.
Agree 100%. So impressed with him lately. Work rate is excellent and that is all he needed to add really. I still think there is more to come from him which is a compliment. I had given up on him at one point but so pleased to be wrong and see him do so well.

So yes to the OP, beyone question at this stage.

Walters_19_MuFc

I'm so excited to see what he can do next season. What a player he's developed into. Such a joy to watch when he's playing like he is. He's hungry and you can see it.

gajender

[QUOTE="Schmeichel's Cartwheel, post: 25763483, member: 93727".]
Are you taking the piss?
Which part? As far as I know Kane and Aubameyangs stats have been better than Martials in almost every single season of their careers.

Make him out number 9 next season? Yes. Is he a better striker than the other two? No.
[/QUOTE]
He has been better CF than Aubameyang this season though .

remo

I think Martial is very very good. Talent (and a lot of it) is there and he is getting better and better. I think replacing him should not even be discussed. More important is another DM (to give Matic rest) and and another creative AM.

MalcolmTucker

This is his first season as a number 9 though and he's got a better goal to minute ratio than both Kane and Aubameyang in the league and that's without taking any penalties.

Also worth remembering in the first half of the season he was being fed by the likes of Pereira, James and Lingard most of the time. No one has scored more goals in 2020 since we've had Bruno (and also had Pogba back).

So let's recap, he is 24, statistically better than Kane and Aubameyang, in his first season as a number 9 and on an upward trajectory, yet you want to replace him with two players who are not even outperforming him this season and play for our rivals? Why don't you just support those teams if you can't get behind the best striker in the league this year who actually plays for us?

Icemav

He has been a beast since the restart. Everything in his play is unstoppable at the moment.

RollieOle

Wasnt always sure about him but has been unplayable since the restart. Ole's coaching is clearly working with Tony and the the rest of the front three.

E-mal

[QUOTE="Nori-,
[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
Just go and sleep mate, he adds far more to our attack than any of those guys would. He genuinely makes teams scared in pressing us so hard.

pav1790

I'd say a guaranteed 25-30 goals a season in this squad.

Martial's been brilliant since the restart but this is the best run of his United career, not something he has been doing year in year out like the other two. All it's going to take is a handful of goal less games and the questions about whether he's a proper striker will start again.

Personally though I'd keep him as number one striker next season and hope he can keep it up, especially if Sancho joins. Goals will come from all over the pitch and there won't be so much pressure on Martial.
Martial is on 22. Probably be around 25 by the season ends. He's only 24. This is his first season as number 9. He played first half without a midfield. He doesn't take penalties. I just think people are still stuck at the perception of Martial during Mourinho era. This is a completely different martial to that one.

Nori-

Martial is on 22. Probably be around 25 by the season ends. He's only 24. This is his first season as number 9. He played first half without a midfield. He doesn't take penalties. I just think people are still stuck at the perception of Martial during Mourinho era. This is a completely different martial to that one.
I agree with this, with penalties he could be challenging for top scorer. Hence I think he should be given the first choice strikers position next season.

But for people to say he's better than Kane who gets almost 30 goals a season and Aubameyang who was top scorer last year, 2nd highest this year, and routinely one of the top scorers in Germany, based on Martial having a good run of games is crazy.

That aside though, Martials age is deffo a massive plus vs Aubameyang.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He's capable of Aubameyang level stats to be fair. Shown it this season, and I think if Sancho were to arrive he would only get more.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He's done enough to be back-up of our long-term #9.

j/k folks. At this form, he's as complete of striker as you can get, and I'd say worthy of main striker even under SAF era.

Eli Zee

He’s been impressive since the restart.. I am usually critical of him, but I can only praise his play these past few games.

MalcolmTucker

I agree with this, with penalties he could be challenging for top scorer. Hence I think he should be given the first choice strikers position next season.

But for people to say he's better than Kane who gets almost 30 goals a season and Aubameyang who was top scorer last year, 2nd highest this year, and routinely one of the top scorers in Germany, based on Martial having a good run of games is crazy.

We're talking about the whole of the current season not just a good run of games. Martial has outperformed Kane and Aubameyang statistically and is a far more accomplished player than Aubameyang and a far more dynamic and versatile player than Kane.

You keep talking about previous seasons but it's Martial's first season as a centre forward. It's pointless comparing Kane's previous season when Martial was stuck on the bench coming on in the last 15 minutes on the left wing under Mourinho.

I know what you mean, that Kane and Auba have proven themselves at the top over an extended time and if a Spurs fan wanted to claim that Kane was better than Martial I wouldn't be incredulous, but they aren't playing better than Martial this season and it's madness that a United fan would still want them to replace him at this moment.

Betson

He’s been impressive since the restart.. I am usually critical of him, but I can only praise his play these past few games.

I have also been critical of him and I don't apologize for that as the criticism was justified. Indeed his vast improvement in the latter part of the season shows that there was also more in him than he was giving us.

Looks a different player now , he always had the talent ,the pace etc but was lacking drive and focus from him. He now looks fired up in every game now and when he is fired up aligned with his natural talent he is a hell of a player.

Hopefully he continues in this vain and this becomes the normal with him.

Stadjer

Martial is the better footballer when compared to Auba though. Martial is better at dribbeling, controling a football, team play and is more likely to do something special/unexpected but Auba is quicker and might be a better finisher.

I wouldnt swap Martial for Auba... not even if they were the same age.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Kane doesn't have Martial's pace, dribbling or overall ability on the ball. Aubameyang doesn't have Martial's dribbling, link up play, hold up play and overall ability on the ball. What they were better at than Martial were being better strikers and outscoring him but then again Martial was never played as a striker unlike those 2 and didn't quite play as an Inside forward which could also have allowed him to bag loads of goals. He was played as a winger for 4 of his 5 years here at United.

Now Martial who is playing as a striker is banging in goals, a better baller and younger(especially compared to Aubame who is 7 years older). Why would any genuine United fan want him replace with either of those, especially Aubame. The things people write in these boards :lol:

Martial is the better footballer when compared to Auba though. Martial is better at dribbeling, controling a football, team play and is more likely to do something special/unexpected but Auba is quicker and might be a better finisher.

I wouldnt swap Martial for Auba... not even if they were the same age.
He isn't a better finisher than Martial.

Chinchy98

Remember he's missed 2 months and had AP, JL, and JM serving him for long periods without Rash, Pogba and Bruno. Id bet good money he'd be on 30 goals this year, phenomenal player

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Straight sick player! Love him! His combination of both force, pace and skill is not often seen, imo.

Cantonagotmehere

He's so fun to watch right now, and love how works with Rashford. We all have worried about workrate in the past, but he sure seems to get it now and his consistent performances have to be one of the highlights of Ole's man management. May it continue!

el3mel

He has been on an incredible run ever since the restart. I'm opening up to having him as a main striker next season and see if he'll keep on delivering. Can save us money for other crucial positions.

Nori-

We're talking about the whole of the current season not just a good run of games. Martial has outperformed Kane and Aubameyang statistically and is a far more accomplished player than Aubameyang and a far more dynamic and versatile player than Kane.

You keep talking about previous seasons but it's Martial's first season as a centre forward. It's pointless comparing Kane's previous season when Martial was stuck on the bench coming on in the last 15 minutes on the left wing under Mourinho.

I know what you mean, that Kane and Auba have proven themselves at the top over an extended time and if a Spurs fan wanted to claim that Kane was better than Martial I wouldn't be incredulous, but they aren't playing better than Martial this season and it's madness that a United fan would still want them to replace him at this moment.
Before the restart and Kanes injury, he had 17 goals in 25 games. Martial was on 16 in 35 games. Since the restart, Kanes got 4 in 7 games, Martials on 6 in 7 games. So even if you look at the whole of the season, Kanes stats were a lot better and only marginally less now. Not looked at Aubama's numbers but wouldn't be far off either.

Saying that though, im not disagreeing that Martial should be our top striker next year. The money it would cost to bring in Kane for not a huge improvement, plus Kane's older, so it wouldn't make sense.

In regards to the 'Martials first season as a striker' point. It still doesn't take away from the fact Kane and Auba have don't it for many season. Martial COULD go on to do the same but the other two have done it and are proven. I understand we should support our players but If Spurs offered a straight swap this summer with Kane/Martial, you're telling me you wouldn't take it?

Glorio

Before the restart and Kanes injury, he had 17 goals in 25 games. Martial was on 16 in 35 games. Since the restart, Kanes got 4 in 7 games, Martials on 6 in 7 games. So even if you look at the whole of the season, Kanes stats were a lot better and only marginally less now. Not looked at Aubama's numbers but wouldn't be far off either.

Saying that though, im not disagreeing that Martial should be our top striker next year. The money it would cost to bring in Kane for not a huge improvement, plus Kane's older, so it wouldn't make sense.

In regards to the 'Martials first season as a striker' point. It still doesn't take away from the fact Kane and Auba have don't it for many season. Martial COULD go on to do the same but the other two have done it and are proven. I understand we should support our players but If Spurs offered a straight swap this summer with Kane/Martial, you're telling me you wouldn't take it?
Yes - I wouldn't swap Kane for Martial in this team.