Has Martial done enough to be backed as our long-term #9?

MalcolmTucker

Before the restart and Kanes injury, he had 17 goals in 25 games. Martial was on 16 in 35 games. Since the restart, Kanes got 4 in 7 games, Martials on 6 in 7 games. So even if you look at the whole of the season, Kanes stats were a lot better and only marginally less now. Not looked at Aubama's numbers but wouldn't be far off either.

Saying that though, im not disagreeing that Martial should be our top striker next year. The money it would cost to bring in Kane for not a huge improvement, plus Kane's older, so it wouldn't make sense.

In regards to the 'Martials first season as a striker' point. It still doesn't take away from the fact Kane and Auba have don't it for many season. Martial COULD go on to do the same but the other two have done it and are proven. I understand we should support our players but If Spurs offered a straight swap this summer with Kane/Martial, you're telling me you wouldn't take it?
Nope. Kane is a great player but he tactically doesn't fit our fluid and dynamic front three. Also Martial and Rashford have great chemistry and understanding which I wouldn't want to disrupt.

But most of all, Martial has the potential to be more than what Kane, whom is at his peak, is. Martial has far more strings to his bow and is a genuinely exciting young footballer who is entering his peak and experiencing that development is what being a United fan is about. Kane is just an excellent striker with great fundamentals, who is also injury prone - he doesn't have the magic that Martial has.

Martial is already set to outscore Kane this season and would you be surprised if Martial outscores Kane next season? So why would you take Kane in a straight swap?

Last edited:

Darlington Padgett

Which part? As far as I know Kane and Aubameyangs stats have been better than Martials in almost every single season of their careers.

Make him out number 9 next season? Yes. Is he a better striker than the other two? No.

He has been better CF than Aubameyang this season though .
Kane needs a bunch of shots to score a goal. Give him the number of chances Martial has and he'll have half the goals. He'll also be good company for Phil Jones.

Nori-

Nope. Kane is a great player but he tactically doesn't fit our fluid and dynamic front three. Also Martial and Rashford have great chemistry and understanding which I wouldn't want to disrupt.

But most of all, Martial has the potential to be more than what Kane, whom is at his peak, is. Martial has far more strings to his bow and is a genuinely exciting young footballer who is entering his peak and experiencing that development is what being a United fan is about. Kane is just an excellent striker with great fundamentals, who is also injury prone - he doesn't have the magic that Martial has.

Martial is already set to outscore Kane this season and would you be surprised if Martial outscores Kane next season? So why would you take Kane in a straight swap?
Without a doubt I'd take Kane

Kane had a huge injury at the start of Jan. Martial had almost 3 months worth of football more than him. And the difference in goals between them this season? One goal.

I don't buy this theory that Kane wouldn't work with our system. If anything Martial has improved recently because Ole's told him to play more like Kane. He's been quoted as advising Martial to hang around the goal, snatch half chances, bully defenders, be greedy etc. Basically everything Kane is good at. If anything Kane would be better suited to how we are playing at the moment, not the opposite.

Again though, the money it would take to bring Kane outweighs how much more he would improve us. On a one vs one level though, Kane all day every day.

Yagami

Good post resistant

Kane had a huge injury at the start of Jan. Martial had almost 3 months worth of football more than him. And the difference in goals between them this season? One goal.

I don't buy this theory that Kane wouldn't work with our system. If anything Martial has improved recently because Ole's told him to play more like Kane. He's been quoted as advising Martial to hang around the goal, snatch half chances, bully defenders, be greedy etc. Basically everything Kane is good at. If anything Kane would be better suited to how we are playing at the moment, not the opposite.

Again though, the money it would take to bring Kane outweighs how much more he would improve us. On a one vs one level though, Kane all day every day.
Martial has been much better than Kane this season. I don't see how anyone could view the opposite.

I like how you conveniently ignore the fact that Martial was out for two months himself. As well as playing with zero service for the first half of the season bar Rashford.

Nori-

Martial has been much better than Kane this season. I don't see how anyone could view the opposite.

I like how you conveniently ignore the fact that Martial was out for two months himself. As well as playing with zero service for the first half of the season bar Rashford.
I haven't conveniently forgotten anything. If you want to break it down to minutes played....Harry Kane 2860 mins with 21 goals....Martial 3125 with 22 goals. Thats with more than half of Tottenhams season playing Mourinho's depressing park the bus football.

I think the problem here is people are judging Martial by Martials standards so for him its been an amazing season. But Kane hasn't had a great season by his own standards. Difference is his standards have been very very high the last few years.

I remember at several points this season when Martial has had 3 or 4 games without a goal and people instantly start talking about him not being a great striker and alternatives we should buy. Same with when he has a good run, we instantly put him on a mantel and declare he's the best in the league.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
I haven't conveniently forgotten anything. If you want to break it down to minutes played....Harry Kane 2860 mins with 21 goals....Martial 3125 with 22 goals. Thats with more than half of Tottenhams season playing Mourinho's depressing park the bus football.

I think the problem here is people are judging Martial by Martials standards so for him its been an amazing season. But Kane hasn't had a great season by his own standards. Difference is his standards have been very very high the last few years.

I remember at several points this season when Martial has had 3 or 4 games without a goal and people instantly start talking about him not being a great striker and alternatives we should buy. Same with when he has a good run, we instantly put him on a mantel and declare he's the best in the league.
So a difference of less than 2 games?

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Based on the last 4 matches, yes. I've been a long time critic of Martials but he has been fabulous lately. Best player vs CP today and he kept running and playing till the end.

lysglimt

Scout
Last game was probably the first game where Martial looked like he was working his socks off - can people still complain about a manager who gets Martial to work hard ?

Dante

Average bang
He's been playing a lot better since the end of lockdown. Probably my MOTM today.

Martial's finishing has always been worldclass. But the downside has been his lack of workrate, creativity and movement in the box. Developing movement in the box was probably the easiest thing for him to achieve. But feck me, he's only gone and added workrate and creativity to his game instead. It's brilliant to see and quite unexpected. There's still room for improvement, but he's arguably made bigger strides in the last 6 months than he has in the whole 4 years up to that point.

I'm very happy with how he's developed under Ole. I think it helps that Rashford and Greenwood are there to help him do bits of the centreforward job, while he returns the favour and helps them with the wideforward job. It's a really nice dynamic that means we don't need to worry too much about Martial being a #9 in the traditional sense.

Just like the Liverpool forward line, what's most important is to have a unit that's greater than the sum of its parts. The way Martial and Rashford are linking up at the moment, I wouldn't want to break them up for anyone.

txred

As far as today, I would rather have Martial over Auba and Kane. That said, 2020 has shown us the best version of Martial leading the line. History would say these other players are or have been clearly better, but if he can maintain these levels consistently he should be our number nine for however long he wants to stay.

That’s always been the issue with Martial, though. He’s never been short on talent, but rather output and industry. The Mourinho/Zlatan period (coupled with injuries and personal issues, perhaps) clearly limited him and hindered his performances. THIS version, though, can be one of the best players in the league and indeed the world.

Suedesi

It bothers me when people spout bollocks:

Kane - 15 goals + 2 assists having played 2410 minutes of PL football
Martial 17 goals + 5 assists having played 2460 minutes of PL football

Martial hasn't played 3 months worth of football more than Kane, he's played half a match more. And Kane has scored 2 penalties (Arsenal, Norwich) to Martial's none.

So stop the bullshit.

Nori-

It bothers me when people spout bollocks:

Kane - 15 goals + 2 assists having played 2410 minutes of PL football
Martial 17 goals + 5 assists having played 2460 minutes of PL football

Martial hasn't played 3 months worth of football more than Kane, he's played half a match more. And Kane has scored 2 penalties (Arsenal, Norwich) to Martial's none.

So stop the bullshit.
Unfortunately a football season doesn't consist of only one competition. You don't judge how a players season has gone and ignore everything other than the Prem? THAT is bullshit in my opinion.

Heres the stats for each player.
Kane - https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/harry-kane/leistungsdaten/spieler/132098
Martial - https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/anthony-martial/leistungsdaten/spieler/182877

Martial has played about 3 games more and scored 1 more goal. Not a massive difference but not half a match more.

The difference is Martial is having the season of his life, Kane is having a bad season and there's 1 goal in it. 17/18 season Kane got 41 goals. 16/17 season Kane got 35 goals etc.

Like I've said previously, no one is saying Martial can't maintain his form, especially if more top players join the club and he took more penalties but until he does it for 2/3 seasons, let's not pretend 6 goals since the restart have propelled him to being a better striker than Kane.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I’d rather have Martial (even in a swap scenario)

Firstly his movement and exchanges in a fluid front 3 works and he’s getting on brilliantly with Rashford. If it ain’t broke...

He’s really come on in his hold up and linking play which was the one thing holding him back from being a top CF for us. Now I don’t see anything that stands out as an issue to work on.

He’s comfortably better than Kane on the ball dribbling at defences and is able to cause more panic in the box. Not only that he’s more enjoyable and fun to watch. We watch football to be entertained and there is only so much joy to be had from Kane’s game compared to Martial’s. Martial makes more skilful and enjoyable moments for me.

Gun to my head Kane is probably the better finisher it’s impossible to ignore his records so far but I don’t see that aspect being significant enough to warrant losing all of Martial’s other qualities.

So id keep Martial even in a straight swap but I wouldn’t call anyone who’d swap him for Kane idiotic. Aubameyang however...

imamuppet

Football is a team game with all the different dynamics that encompass it.

One of the key dynamics is team harmony.

Straight off question,

who would you take over Ruud Van Nistelrooy vs Harry Kane ?

Yes its a trick question, however good either them was/is we all know what happened to Ruud ..........

The Anthony Martial we are seeing under Ole is perfect for our team, Ole understands what it is to be a striker and he understands what it is to be a human being.

He is getting the best out of Anthony and he is handling the team harmony perfectly.

There is absolutely no reason to bring in a striker like Harry Kane at the risk of disrupting team harmony, he is not the type of striker you would bring in.

Anthony is at the perfect age to cement himself as one of the best number 9s around, why do some want to risk disrupting this seeing that Anthony has responded perfectly to Ole ??

Id love to see his running statistics in the last 20 games.

:)

The only reason I can see is so that there is competition for his place, which I do agree, but Harry Kane is not that person, we need a fluid striker for that but I hope we can tie down Ighalo on a permanent deal as we need a permenant backup #9 not one to replace Anthony ......

Jinn

His mentality is a concern. When he's mind is right everything flows. He is happy now, you can see it with his interaction on the pitch with other players.
My concern with Martial is that when the chips are down, does he have the ability to pick himself up or will he shrivel?
He cannot have an arm around his shoulder forever, he needs to man up.

Currently and on this form i wouldn't swap him for most players. He is brilliant and enjoying himself, let's hope it lasts. I will keep my judgment for the end of next season.

Ace of Spades

For me he has. My main concern was about his work rate, and the physical part that a #9 needs to have. The physical side of the game, as he is an incredible technical player. But he has improved a lot on those aspects this season, so for me he has done enough.

RedIan

If he keeps playing like this the clear answer is yes... where do we go if he reverts to the old martial.
hopefully he wont and is a changed man.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Unfortunately a football season doesn't consist of only one competition. You don't judge how a players season has gone and ignore everything other than the Prem? THAT is bullshit in my opinion.

Martial - https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/anthony-martial/leistungsdaten/spieler/182877

Martial has played about 3 games more and scored 1 more goal. Not a massive difference but not half a match more.

The difference is Martial is having the season of his life, Kane is having a bad season and there's 1 goal in it. 17/18 season Kane got 41 goals. 16/17 season Kane got 35 goals etc.

Like I've said previously, no one is saying Martial can't maintain his form, especially if more top players join the club and he took more penalties but until he does it for 2/3 seasons, let's not pretend 6 goals since the restart have propelled him to being a better striker than Kane.
That's because he was used as squad player by Jose and this is the first time he is playing in his preferred position and as a regular starter.

I don't think he is better striker than Kane, at least for now but he is having much better season than Kane.

Skills

Snitch
I'd say a guaranteed 25-30 goals a season in this squad.

Martial's been brilliant since the restart but this is the best run of his United career, not something he has been doing year in year out like the other two. All it's going to take is a handful of goal less games and the questions about whether he's a proper striker will start again.

Personally though I'd keep him as number one striker next season and hope he can keep it up, especially if Sancho joins. Goals will come from all over the pitch and there won't be so much pressure on Martial.
Give Martial the penalties and he'll get 25-30 a season too. As long as you're happy to donate 1/3 of Rashford's goal total - which you'd also have to do for Kane's sake.

OL29

My concern with Martial is that when the chips are down, does he have the ability to pick himself up?
Yes, like he has countless times in his career already? Where do people come up with this stuff?

MalcolmTucker

Kane is no where near as good as Martial on the counter, nor does he have the ability to be affective from the left. Martial is much better at one touch/two touch football which is how we've been attacking teams recently and is also more of a team player around the box than Kane who often takes on shots from silly angles. He's also more mobile and is a more affective presser than Harry Kane at this point. There's no way he suits our style of play more.

Kane is Spurs' primary penalty taker whereas Martial is not. When it comes to open play goals Martial has a goal every 148 minutes and Kane has a goal every 168 minutes this season. Martial also has far more assists and is a more creative player.

roonster09

Scout
So 300 mins is worth 3 months of football?

DFreshKing

Came into the thread to read people's excitement for our attack with Martial putting in world class performances along with Rashford only to find posters wanting to break it up and swap out Martial!

This place never disapoints....

I'm going to go the other way for balance and bring some happy Friday vibes. Watching at times last night made me think of what a dream combination Ronaldo and Ronaldo Brazil would have made at their peak.

Rashford CR7 and Martial R9 they both keep developing and it is possible. Add a two footed RVP to that and we have some legends of Fifa attacking front 3 right there. :drool:

Quinzaine

He's been playing a lot better since the end of lockdown. Probably my MOTM today.

Martial's finishing has always been worldclass. But the downside has been his lack of workrate, creativity and movement in the box. Developing movement in the box was probably the easiest thing for him to achieve. But feck me, he's only gone and added workrate and creativity to his game instead. It's brilliant to see and quite unexpected. There's still room for improvement, but he's arguably made bigger strides in the last 6 months than he has in the whole 4 years up to that point.

I'm very happy with how he's developed under Ole. I think it helps that Rashford and Greenwood are there to help him do bits of the centreforward job, while he returns the favour and helps them with the wideforward job. It's a really nice dynamic that means we don't need to worry too much about Martial being a #9 in the traditional sense.

Just like the Liverpool forward line, what's most important is to have a unit that's greater than the sum of its parts. The way Martial and Rashford are linking up at the moment, I wouldn't want to break them up for anyone.
Sorry to be pedantic but I have to say creativity has never been an issue in his game. Always been one of the most creative players in our team since the moment he joined.

E-mal

His mentality is a concern. When he's mind is right everything flows. He is happy now, you can see it with his interaction on the pitch with other players.
My concern with Martial is that when the chips are down, does he have the ability to pick himself up or will he shrivel?
He cannot have an arm around his shoulder forever, he needs to man up.

Currently and on this form i wouldn't swap him for most players. He is brilliant and enjoying himself, let's hope it lasts. I will keep my judgment for the end of next season.
Well I have never seen him asked for your arms or anyone else's. No player is happy if he is not playing especially when he is doing better than those around him.
No player is happy if there coach takes up their shirt and give to someone else despite them being the best player the previous season.

Last edited:

E-mal

You keep shifting the goal post mate, I think you're just on a wind up.

You have also not taken into cognizance that this is his first full season as a striker in our club with Pereira and Lingard the supporting cast for half a season.
Since Fernandes arrived at the club, no player has scored more goals in the EPL than Martial.
Kane is proven striker but Martial is on an upward trajectory and it's not outlandish to say his top level will be higher than Kane's.

Martial also soothe our team better than Kane. Teams are very scared now I am sure.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

Sanchez is a great striker too, if you go back to 3 to 4 season ago.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I get that you guys support and love your own player but let's not compare Kane with Martial. There is no comparison even if Martial has posted slightly better stats in a season when Kane has missed 16 matches through injury and has clearly been not fully fit for many of the games as he recovered. If Martial scores over 20 goals in the next two seasons then we can start to compare the two. Kane has done that for 6 seasons in a row and there is only two years between them. Kane is also stronger, a much better passer, has better vision and much better at holding up the ball than Martial is. Martial is quicker and more explosive.

romufc

Kane may fit what we are trying, but we know Martial does fit the style.

Martial has improved in the goal scoring, he is the same sort of player he has always been, clinical finishing, great dribbling, great link up.

Kane might be better at the physical side of the game but Martial is better suited to our system. When things are not going well, Kane is nowhere to be seen. Martial, will pull out to the left and get the ball create something on his own, something Kane cannot do.

The chemistry between Martial and Rashford has always been there, they know how to play with each other, we are only seing more of it now because Jose never started them together.

Shark

@NotShark
Martial looks like a completely different player from the start of the season.
Does he though? I personally think he's just getting the ball more and is perhaps higher in confidence. Seeing Lingard come on yesterday reminded me of how awful we were at creating anything at the start of the season. He's downright terrible.

Mick1

I get that you guys support and love your own player but let's not compare Kane with Martial. There is no comparison even if Martial has posted slightly better stats in a season when Kane has missed 16 matches through injury and has clearly been not fully fit for many of the games as he recovered. If Martial scores over 20 goals in the next two seasons then we can start to compare the two. Kane has done that for 6 seasons in a row and there is only two years between them. Kane is also stronger, a much better passer, has better vision and much better at holding up the ball than Martial is. Martial is quicker and more explosive.
Tbf Kane was playing under an attacking manager in a very offensive team and I really don't think he recorded a single minute on the left wing.
Put him on the wing under Mourinho with long spells on the bench for four of those developmental years, and his goal output will be affected.
Having said that, Kane has been absolute world class for a while and Martial has it all to prove, we just think he can and hope he will.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
His recent link up play with Rashford has been spectacular. I'm getting serious Yorke/Cole vibes from the two of them, and the bonus is they seem to actually like one another!

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Then put it this way. I certainly wouldn't be in a hurry to swap out Martial for Kane, and if their clubs were reversed, I don't think you would either.

roonster09

Scout
All debatable, also just because Kane did well in last few seasons doesn't mean Martial shouldn't be compared. Martial is having better season, there is nothing wrong in saying that, doesn't mean he is better player.

davidmichael

If asked Martial or Kane a couple of years ago then I’d say Kane without hesitation but now it’s a complete 180 and I’d say Martial without hesitation, there’s literally nothing anyone could say that would change my mind.

Martial is in his first full season as a striker and is growing into the role, his all round play is so much better than Kane’s and he brings a lot more to the team than just goals. Martial and Rashford interchanging and developing their partnership has been amazing to watch at times this season and will only get better next season with Fernandes and Pogba behind them for a whole season.

Kane has clearly been affected by injuries but also his game doesn’t suit how we play, yes he’d guarantee us 25-30 goals in a season but at what cost ? We’d see the team built around him scoring. I think the best way to describe it would be it being a similar situation to RVN’s final season with us, he was by far our best striker but Saha brought us far more as a team and brought the best out of Ronaldo and Rooney and I would see the same thing with bringing Kane in.

Martial has hit 22 goals this season when at times we were arguably the worst we’ve been in the Premier League era, if we’d been as lucky as Liverpool with injuries and had signed Fernandes last summer then Martial would probably have scored 30 goals or more this season.