Has Martial done enough to be backed as our long-term #9?

Darlington Padgett

A winger should assist more than a striker playing up front on his own wouldn't you think?
And a striker should be a better finisher than a winger but he's not. Now that Martial is getting more shots he's proving to be at the same level if not better than Kane.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
And that's what he did. Kane has been a far more prolific goalscorer while Martial has been a far more prolific creator.
I guess what I'm saying is that it is pointless comparing assist stats when they were playing completely different positions. Once again I'm saying lets wait till Martial has a few seasons as a proper striker then we can compare. As a striker there is no comparison at the moment.

Suedesi

Unfortunately a football season doesn't consist of only one competition. You don't judge how a players season has gone and ignore everything other than the Prem? THAT is bullshit in my opinion.

Heres the stats for each player.
Kane - https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/harry-kane/leistungsdaten/spieler/132098
Martial - https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/anthony-martial/leistungsdaten/spieler/182877

Martial has played about 3 games more and scored 1 more goal. Not a massive difference but not half a match more.

The difference is Martial is having the season of his life, Kane is having a bad season and there's 1 goal in it. 17/18 season Kane got 41 goals. 16/17 season Kane got 35 goals etc.

Like I've said previously, no one is saying Martial can't maintain his form, especially if more top players join the club and he took more penalties but until he does it for 2/3 seasons, let's not pretend 6 goals since the restart have propelled him to being a better striker than Kane.
I know the stats for each and I know that Kane filled his boots against Belgrade and Olympiacos in the CL while Martial missed two of our 5:0 wins in the Europa League against Brugge and Lask. If he was playing the goal difference would have been bigger.

In any case the quality of the opposition is vastly different. The PL actually normalizes that - you play the same opponents twice. So far in the league, Martial has played 50 minutes more, scored 2 more goals with no penalties. He fits our style better. Harry Kane can look forward to becoming a better defensive striker under Mourinho. That's that.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I guess what I'm saying is that it is pointless comparing assist stats when they were playing completely different positions. Once again I'm saying lets wait till Martial has a few seasons as a proper striker then we can compare. As a striker there is no comparison at the moment.
Martial has far better assists stats as a striker too though. For United in the PL Martial has an assist every 423 minutes while Kane has an assists every 888 minutes. And Kane was a better striker until 2018, the reality is that Kane would have to up his game to match Martial today and in the context of the point that started this conversation you would be daft to take Kane over Martial because in the case of Martial you are judging what he is today while in the case of Kane you are judging what he was 2 years ago.

And don't get me wrong, 2014-2018 Kane is far better than current Martial but he is also a lot better than 2018-2020 Kane.

Shiva87

Kane does have better hold up play and a better eye for a goal. They aren’t really comparable. The way we play Martial suits us fine. He’s had a great season all things considered. out with injury. Lingard and Perreria to deal with doesn’t take our penalties so personally I wouldn’t want Kane and not because I don’t think he’s a good player he’s just not the type of player that would fit in with what we are doing. Martial is a linch pin in the attack. His better passing and vision accompanied with his explosive power and pace is doing the buisness for us. Long may it continue and next year he has over 20 goals and a butt load of assists in the league.
Well said. Agree with all of this. Rather get a good back up striker for when Martial is injured (someone better than Ighalo) than go in for Kane. A Chicharito type player would be perfect at this stage for the team. Can score goals when called upon, but will not command a regular starting place - allowing the MMM trio to keep developing.

Unfortunately a football season doesn't consist of only one competition. You don't judge how a players season has gone and ignore everything other than the Prem? THAT is bullshit in my opinion.

Martial - https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/anthony-martial/leistungsdaten/spieler/182877

Martial has played about 3 games more and scored 1 more goal. Not a massive difference but not half a match more.

The difference is Martial is having the season of his life, Kane is having a bad season and there's 1 goal in it. 17/18 season Kane got 41 goals. 16/17 season Kane got 35 goals etc.

Like I've said previously, no one is saying Martial can't maintain his form, especially if more top players join the club and he took more penalties but until he does it for 2/3 seasons, let's not pretend 6 goals since the restart have propelled him to being a better striker than Kane.
These stats will be very different next season as well. Kane played most of this season with an attacking team, and we were a disjointed one. The second half of the season, Kane is playing with a super defensive manager (who will blunt his output). I don't think stats really can determine who is a better player - as a lot of this also depends on system, role, team style etc. Martial's development was clearly "held back" during the Jose years, and 3 seasons when you are 20-22 are very important. Jose changed Martial from a striker under LVG to a winger, which was never Martial's preferred position.

Now that he is playing no. 9 - we can all see how he is progressing. His injury was the worst thing that happened to us this season (impacted us even more than Rashford's injury) AND our overall play got much better when he came back. Kane is a complete striker - with years of PL experience in his position. I don't see why we need to compare him to Kane, but between the two at the moment, I would keep Martial (than spend big on Kane). Also, there is something very pleasing about Martial getting his critics wrong. Every game, the pundits keep saying that United need a Center Forward and a Center Back. Every game Martial proves that we don't, and Lindelof proves that we do.

Stacks

Martial told Canal+: ”He [Solskjær] sent me a message, he said 'do you want to take your no.9 shirt back?'.

“I straight up said yes! I said yes and he told me ‘now it’s up to you to show me [that you deserve it] every time you’re on the pitch’.”

Gotta give Ole credit man. Set him the challenge and Martial rising to it

Stacks

That's a fair point I didn't consider. Kane's standards are absurd. Its like when Messi doesn't win Balon Do'r when he scores 35 goals.

Give Martial the penalties and he'll get 25-30 a season too. As long as you're happy to donate 1/3 of Rashford's goal total - which you'd also have to do for Kane's sake.
In Kane's 40 goal season in 2018 he scored 3 penalties for Spurs.

I get that you guys support and love your own player but let's not compare Kane with Martial. There is no comparison even if Martial has posted slightly better stats in a season when Kane has missed 16 matches through injury and has clearly been not fully fit for many of the games as he recovered. If Martial scores over 20 goals in the next two seasons then we can start to compare the two. Kane has done that for 6 seasons in a row and there is only two years between them. Kane is also stronger, a much better passer, has better vision and much better at holding up the ball than Martial is. Martial is quicker and more explosive.
You are in a Man Utd forum buddy. We ride for ours. Martial > Kane (at ALL stages of their respective careers)

Martial has far better assists stats as a striker too though. For United in the PL Martial has an assist every 423 minutes while Kane has an assists every 888 minutes. And Kane was a better striker until 2018, the reality is that Kane would have to up his game to match Martial today and in the context of the point that started this conversation you would be daft to take Kane over Martial because in the case of Martial you are judging what he is today while in the case of Kane you are judging what he was 2 years ago.

And don't get me wrong, 2014-2018 Kane is far better than current Martial but he is also a lot better than 2018-2020 Kane.
Not sure about this. Last season Kane had same number of goal involvements as Martial this season. We all know this the a lowest level for Kane mainly due to long term injury so I don't see how he would need to up his game when we know his game is much much higher when fit. he would just need to play regularly to be honest. would not swap them though regardless. Martial is a more interesting project.

JPRouve

Scout
That's a fair point I didn't consider. Kane's standards are absurd. Its like when Messi doesn't win Balon Do'r when he scores 35 goals.

In Kane's 40 goal season in 2018 he scored 3 penalties for Spurs.

You are in a Man Utd forum buddy. We ride for ours. Martial > Kane (at ALL stages of their respective careers)

Not sure about this. Last season Kane had same number of goal involvements as Martial this season. We all know this the a lowest level for Kane mainly due to long term injury so I don't see how he would need to up his game when we know his game is much much higher when fit. he would just need to play regularly to be honest. would not swap them though regardless. Martial is a more interesting project.
I'm comparing both to Kane between 2014 and 2018. You randomly cut the sentence.

Jinn

Yes, like he has countless times in his career already? Where do people come up with this stuff?
Have you been watching these past few years. Maybe not close enough. Get of your "know it all horse" and pay attention. Otherwise just pretend like you are on a forum which allows opinions of others.

It’s strange to see the negativity for Martial in this thread seeing that post-Rashford injury he carried us through the great form we had alongside Bruno.

His link up with Fernandes looks great and I feel like as the season went on he grew more into the role and took on responsibility.

He has improved his heading and hold up play this season, and has switched up his finishing with low snap shots to the near post which keepers don’t expect from Martial, (he whips it across goal normally) maybe something he learned from Greenwood.

He has also improved his left foot shooting too. If the season carried on - he would’ve broken 20 goals easily. I have faith in him.
Good to see my post defending him over lockdown has come to fruition.

Jinn

Well I have never seen him asked for your arms or anyone else's. No player is happy if he is not playing especially when he is doing better than those around him.
No player is happy if there coach takes up their shirt and give to someone else despite them being the best player the previous season.
You need a tissue sweet heart?
Why you taking things so personally?

Paul_Scholes18

Competition and options can't be bad in our attack. Although Martial as a number 9 looks so bloody good now.
So better to go for Sancho or another winger and keep Martial as our main man.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Martial seems to score a lot from the left, usually after cutting inside. Not always, but often. Or am I imagining it?

Wouldn't you want someone who scored from all over the final third?

E-mal

You need a tissue sweet heart?
Why you taking things so personally?
:lol: To be honest I am having a tough day at work and tired of people making conclusions on things they know little about.
Anyway I feel he just wanted to be treated fairly.

E-mal

Martial seems to score a lot from the left, usually after cutting inside. Not always, but often. Or am I imagining it?

I wouldn't mind if he scores all of them the same way, as long as it wins us games.

JPRouve

Scout

You imagined it. Here you can check were he scored from, it's pretty central.

Jinn

:lol: To be honest I am having a tough day at work and tired of people making conclusions on things they know little about.
Anyway I feel he just wanted to be treated fairly.
Just be glad you still employed considering the economic situation.

Blood Mage

I still think he's more dangerous as a wide attacker cutting inside from the left but he has become a solid number 9.

glazed

You imagined it. Here you can check were he scored from, it's pretty central.
Great website. Thank you.

So it looks like he's scored 9 from the left and 5 from the right this season in open play. Only three goals from inside the box. That's quite left sided I would say. Only three goals with his left foot. None with his head. Tells a story I would suggest.

JPRouve

Scout

So it looks like he's scored 9 from the left and 5 from the right this season in open play. Only three goals from inside the box. That's quite left sided I would say. Only three goals with his left foot. None with his head. Tells a story I would suggest.

That's a stretch to call most of them from the left or from the right, they are central for the most part.

sport2793

What about the header against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in the league?

Anyways the idea behind getting Sancho is to threaten the opposition from both flanks and have someone on the right who can stay wide and cross it in if that's the best option available (Sancho likes to come in the box also but the idea is that he can do both).

TrustInOle

None with his head? Well that ain't true :lol:

glazed

What about the header against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in the league?
Oh wait my bad. One against Chelsea - you are quite right. According to this the only other header he scored this season in the league was from a corner against Norwich. Still most were scored with his right foot - no getting away from it.

JPRouve

Scout
Oh wait my bad. One against Chelsea - you are quite right. According to this the only other header he scored this season in the league was from a corner against Norwich.
No, the one against Chelsea is at the right of the Norwich goal. There is two goals roughly on the same spot.

I think Kane's passing is severely underrated, especially from deep where I think he's better than Tony. In terms of quick linkup they're similar. But to suggest that the only thing that Martial has over Kane is 'quickness and explosiveness' is just foolish. Martial is about 10x the dribbler in tight areas that Kane is. Who knows how Martial will end up comparing, it's his first season as our full time #9 since LVG and he's developing new qualities all the time. His hold up play and movement has come on leaps and bounds. Kane is undoubtedly one of the best strikers of his generation, his positioning and ability to find space is just world class #9 play. But who knows if he'll ever truly be the same as before his injury.

Martial's definitely had the better season, whatever reasons for that people might want to argue. I'm a big fan and think he's on track to become one of the most complete CFs in the world. Whether he can reach the heights of Kane or eventually surpass him remains to be seen.

Last edited:

glazed

No, the one against Chelsea is at the right of the Norwich goal. There is two goals roughly on the same spot.
Yeah the website didn't count the Norwich one as open play because it was from a corner. I guess two headers isn't too bad.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I get that you guys support and love your own player but let's not compare Kane with Martial. There is no comparison even if Martial has posted slightly better stats in a season when Kane has missed 16 matches through injury and has clearly been not fully fit for many of the games as he recovered. If Martial scores over 20 goals in the next two seasons then we can start to compare the two. Kane has done that for 6 seasons in a row and there is only two years between them. Kane is also stronger, a much better passer, has better vision and much better at holding up the ball than Martial is. Martial is quicker and more explosive.
I mean when people are saying that Martial is better than Kane at this moment, bringing up how good someone has been for years before is pointless.

Foxbatt

I don't care if he scored all his goals from his arse so long as he scores them. The fact is that he is a very young and exciting player and certainly more exciting than Kane. Martial is two younger too.
Henry used to come in from the left too mostly. Not bad if he can get even close to Henry. I still think with a better right sided player who created more than Greenwood he will score more. Greenwood is a much better scorer than he for creating chances.

Redfrog

It is the first season Martial is played as a striker. Ole did not play him there at first and finally switched positions with Rashford.

He is doing a great job for his first season and has been better and better along the way.

We can see how badly we have missed him and how he impacts our game.

He has good stats but his game is much more then that...it is obvious really watching us...
He works really hard as well. Ole has transformed him really. He is pressing very well now.

He must still progress to be more lethal. His first chance against Southampton should be an easy one for someone with his qualities. He just had to put it over the goalie...

Kane is a fantastic striker who is having a not so great season but I don't see the point to compare him to Martial. Not the same kind of players. He will slow us down.

Also Martial and Rashford are playing great together and have to work on that. Would be fantastic to put Sancho in the mix. With some time this front 4 (including Bruno) will be unplayable.

Reactions: roonster09

Quinzaine

No need to apologise. Because you're not being pendantic. You're just being wrong.
You don't learn to be creative at the age of 24 mate. The creativity you're seeing now has always been a part of his game. From his first season where Rooney would love playing with him because they'd combine so well and when Rashford burst on the scene and there were glimpses of what they are doing now with the way they feed each other. Fast forward a couple of years to when he took a quick touch on the turn and flicked it in to Lingard's path for his goal at the Emirates (one of the most creative assists I've seen from a United player). On top of that he provided Lukaku with plenty of goalscoring opportunities and assists too - with plenty of variation from crosses to balls across the box to quick intricate passes that the majority of our players cant and couldnt pull off in the final third. There's a reason why it's been much discussed over the years how much he likes playing with players like Pogba and Mata too as they complement his creative side. It's one of the best features of his game, it's just now its glaringly obvious in a proper system surrounded by proper players on his wavelength.

Quinzaine

When you talk like that all I can think is that you don't watch Kane play very often. His passing and vision are absolutely fantastic for a striker. His only weakness is a lack of pace - his all round game is extremely strong. For you to say he can't hold up a ball better than Martial is, I'm sorry to say, laughable.
I'm a huge advocate for Martial and I've been in this very thread for months now defending him because I really do regard him as a super talent, however the narrative that Kane's passing and vision isn't top notch for a striker is lazy. Kane's passing (particularly his long passing) and vision is pretty much as good as you'd want from a player in his position. I do think Martial is the better striker for us for reasons that include his ability to interchange with Rashford, his pace, explosiveness, close control and intricate plays in the final third. But yeah if Martial isn't at Kane's level in terms of his overall passing, vision and his ability to see the whole pitch (almost Rooney like) and that's okay!

Yagami

Good post resistant
Being English, I love Kane, but Martial is better at the moment. You're severely underrating his strength, hold up play, and his vision.

To be fair to Kane, he is playing under José, so that is a detriment to his play in and of itself. For England's sake, I hope he gets back to his best form, which is better than Martial, but we're just talking about this season.

PeteManic

He's a form player but he can only become more consistent. Ole rates him. Who better to work with him?

Jonno

I wasn’t convinced, specifically around the time he missed a guilt-edged chance v Liverpool when he was inside the box on his right foot, I’m thinking, he’s not got what it takes to be top level.

Since then, he’s literally found a new level, he can hold the ball up, he’s not playing for himself anymore, he enjoys playing for us, he and Rashford play like they’re having fun. It’s no coincidence he’s now averaging almost a goal per-game since lockdown. It’s great to see.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I wasn’t convinced, specifically around the time he missed a guilt-edged chance v Liverpool when he was inside the box on his right foot, I’m thinking, he’s not got what it takes to be top level.

Since then, he’s literally found a new level, he can hold the ball up, he’s not playing for himself anymore, he enjoys playing for us, he and Rashford play like they’re having fun. It’s no coincidence he’s now averaging almost a goal per-game since lockdown. It’s great to see.
God, that Liverpool game.

The fans who gave him stick that game were mental. He was a man alone on an island, carrying the whole attack by himself, but got dogs abuse for not scoring that one chance. Our fans can be right idiots at times. SAlah and Mané missed easier chances the same game.