Has Mbappé become the poster boy for footballs greed and excess?

Maureen-yo

He’s linked with these particular clubs (PSG, Newcastle and, hypothetically, a state owned United) as he is seen as the best player in the world by many people and ergo one of the most expensive.
Mega rich owners wouldnt come into a club and win over the fans by saying they’re going to go all out to buy Callum Wilson!

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Linked by who though ? You cannot just run away with any rumor you read on the internet
This is kinda the point of the question though.
He’s the player that is linked. In the same way Chelsea is linked to buying every player ever since Boehly took over. It doesn’t matter who links him - he is the go to player when mega money is involved, hence has he ‘unwittingly’ become the poster boy for footballs excess? I’m not suggesting he courts this himself.

Plant0x84

He hasnt been linked to any of those clubs except by shit sources, there has been rumors linking him to every big/rich club but we all know none of them are true. You just picked the clubs that fit your narratives. The only club who ever approached PSG has obviously been Madrid, and the only club he's ever talked about is Liverpool, 2 clubs that dont have owners that belong to the category you are referring to.
But he didn’t go to Madrid or Liverpool, he stayed in Paris on a monster contract.

Cloud7

This is kinda the point of the question though.
He’s the player that is linked. In the same way Chelsea is linked to buying every player ever since Boehly took over. It doesn’t matter who links him - he is the go to player when mega money is involved, hence has he ‘unwittingly’ become the poster boy for footballs excess? I’m not suggesting he courts this himself.
He is the go to player because he is arguably the best player in the world right now, and he's not at a traditional big club so there will always be a story to be had about him going to one of the bigger clubs. And looking around at the wages and financial situations of the clubs in Europe the only ones that can really afford the wages (as well as have players on said wages because I imagine a club like Bayern could afford it) that the best player in the world would command are Real, City, Us, and well now Chelsea and Newcastle. It would have been the same with peak Ronaldo or Messi, they would not have been linked to Atletico Madrid or Spurs.

Lyng

Rashford
Mbappe - Sancho - Antony
De Jong - Casemiro
Shaw - Martinez - Varane - AwB
Vandewoort
:nervous::drool:

Brophs

The One and Only
For all the criticism he gets, his is exactly the sort of career a lot of top young players are going to choose in the modern game, particularly if we see an even greater proliferation of state owned clubs.

cyberman

Man has made one move in his career and has been as PSG for what? 6 years now?

Skills

Snitch
It's easy to take the hypothetical moral high ground, knowing you'll never been in a position to make that kind of choice.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The amount of players that play for a club they love instead of a club that can pay them the most and also offer them the possibility of winning trophies is very small. I will also remind people that Totti was on a massive contract at Roma, he didn't make any sacrifice when it comes to his wallet.

Now when it comes Mbappé I don't really see how he could be a poster boy for greed and excess. He doesn't really share his personal life, he hasn't really shown greed nor excess. The only thing that some seem to have against him is that he chose to stay in his hometown with a big contract instead of moving to someone else's hometown with a big contract.

KeanoMagicHat

He’s not even the greediest on his team. Mbappé is from Paris, it’s his hometown club which also happens to be one of the best and richest in the world. Neymar left Barcelona for world record wages, pissed around a lot and doesn’t have a lot to show in France for a World record fee.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Always amazes me when footballers are villified for cashing in on their talents.

You never see it with "much loved" TV personalities, for example, check out how much the Stranger Things cast are getting for season 5 yet you'd be hard pushed to find a single negative comment about it.

They only get a chance to earn that much in the first place because of how popular the product is. The ironic thing is if everyone disgusted by how much footballers earn boycotted the game when the wages started spiralling upwards it would never have got to this point.

KeanoMagicHat

Always amazes me when footballers are villified for cashing in on their talents.

You never see it with "much loved" TV personalities, for example, check out how much the Stranger Things cast are getting for season 5 yet you'd be hard pushed to find a single negative comment about it.

They only get a chance to earn that much in the first place because of how popular the product is. The ironic thing is if everyone disgusted by how much footballers earn boycotted the game when the wages started spiralling upwards it would never have got to this point.
There was also a time when the likes of Busby and Shankly had it in their mind that football was a working-class game and kept the wages the great players deserved away from the players. It was probably a noble principle in terms of keeping them level-headed with the fans watching their games. But football creates such wealth these days that the money would only go to a board of directors or a rich owner anyway, or a manager, or someone else involved in the club. Which isn't really fair considering it's the star players that people pay to watch.

adnando

The amount of players that play for a club they love instead of a club that can pay them the most and also offer them the possibility of winning trophies is very small. I will also remind people that Totti was on a massive contract at Roma, he didn't make any sacrifice when it comes to his wallet.

Now when it comes Mbappé I don't really see how he could be a poster boy for greed and excess. He doesn't really share his personal life, he hasn't really shown greed nor excess. The only thing that some seem to have against him is that he chose to stay in his hometown with a big contract instead of moving to someone else's hometown with a big contract.
Being the poster boy doesn't mean that it's true. The crowd is often wrong. After the mess with the new contract and his role in the management team, he might be viewed as the poster boy of greed and excess, right or wrong. Mbappe, and Haaland, are in the eye of the public when talking about heirs to Ronaldo and Messi, and their names will come up in a bunch of discussions as they're so famous.

Might be that Ronaldo comes to mind for some as well, the quotes from that interview and the actions taken after are not the best look.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Being the poster boy doesn't mean that it's true. The crowd is often wrong. After the mess with the new contract and his role in the management team, he might be viewed as the poster boy of greed and excess, right or wrong. Mbappe, and Haaland, are in the eye of the public when talking about heirs to Ronaldo and Messi, and their names will come up in a bunch of discussions as they're so famous.

Might be that Ronaldo comes to mind for some as well, the quotes from that interview and the actions taken after are not the best look.
And my point is that it's wrong. Also the OP's question is whether Mbappé is the ultimate mercenary.

Sviken

Yeah, I don't understand it. Footballers have a very short shelf life. After that, if they haven't made enough money or haven't spent it wisely, they're not gonna have a good time. I can't blame them. if I was one, I'd just go where the money is. Boyhood clubs and romantic stories are not gonna help you later down the line.

iHicksy

Poster for boy for Greed in football? He's not even the poster boy for football greed in his own club! (Neymar says hi)

Real Name

No. Rejected a move to Madrid to stay at his home club. For mega money yes but still, he's one of the best players in the world and he's cashing on it.

Question for OP, would he be a poster boy for greed if he went to Madrid?

redshaw

The OP sounds tongue in cheek. Regardless he's not a mercenary or poster child of greed.

There's a lot of pressure and expectation for him to stay plus it's his home town club in a good position. The owners are desperate to hold on to a super talent, and can be persuaded to be stay in France which is important for the country and win the CL with PSG.

I expect he will move sooner than later to try something new but you never know with timing and dynamics facing football.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Stoke City. Bet365 Stadium (still known locally as the Brittania)
Nice cliche but Stoke would wipe the floor with all but a handful of the teams in Ligue Un. Games against Bayern and Argentina are largely meaningless when you lose them both!
Wumming isn't fun when it's too obvious.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Reportedly Mbappé's current deal pays him like 300 millions euros over 2 years. Messi got 500 millions over 4
Sure, he's getting more money, but this really went off the rails with Ronnie at Madrid and Messi at Barca. If people have a problem with his wages fine, but surely they had a problem with Messi's wages and Ronnie's as well no? Mbappe has years and years of top level football in front of him as well. The only problem I have with his PSG deal - if true - is his influence within the hierarchy. The manager should always be the top dog at a football club (mitigated somewhat with a structure of competent people adhering to a long-term vision). That seems to be the last thing on the mind of PSG's owners.

90 + 5min

Discuss!

His much vaunted move to Madrid never materialised as he chose the mega money option and stayed at PSG, and now with the Parisians inability to win the ultimate prize in European football, he is being linked with a mega money move to OT, assuming we are flooded by Qatari oil wealth.

Has Mbappé unwittingly become the ultimate mercenary or do his talents warrant such a price and salary?
His talent nowhere near warrants his price and salery. There are lot of players out here who are more important to clubs and would be better fit to improve a team. I still haven't understood how he got that reputation. He isn't even best player in PSG.

antk

His talent nowhere near warrants his price and salery. There are lot of players out here who are more important to clubs and would be better fit to improve a team. I still haven't understood how he got that reputation. He isn't even best player in PSG.
Have you watched yesterday's PSG - Bayern?

Plant0x84

Interesting opinion. Did you not rate his performance in WC final?

Crashoutcassius

He hasn't proven that he deserves the money. But more crucially he doesn't deserve input into team selections, head coaches and signings. It is no wonder psg get worse over time with a wage bill 50pc bigger than their nearest in Europe. He can stay at PSG which is a circus that suits him. His ego and idiocy will only get bigger over time

Plant0x84

He hasn't proven that he deserves the money. But more crucially he doesn't deserve input into team selections, head coaches and signings. It is no wonder psg get worse over time with a wage bill 50pc bigger than their nearest in Europe. He can stay at PSG which is a circus that suits him. His ego and idiocy will only get bigger over time
So how does he prove this? Does he have to win CL?

Crashoutcassius

In response to the OP, he is just what 24 years old? He has won a WC and a golden boot at another WC. IF he were to win the CL with PSG he would be seen as being key to that instead of taking the 'easier' route to success with RM.

Being as good as he is will always mean he is linked to the wealthiest clubs, it has always been the way, just the number of really wealthy clubs is reduced. If he were to go to say Newcastle this summer (wont happen) thrn the answer would be undoubtedly yes. Coming to OT, a natural fit for agiant club and a World class player.
Psg are better on paper than Madrid, have a 50+% higher wage bill, can rest players every single week ahead of champions League games. If they weren't so badly run he would be in the best place to win the CL. He even has an input into how they are run.

Crashoutcassius

So how does he prove this? Does he have to win CL?
Performances in football matches. Who cares what a team with 650m wage bill win. He is 24 and plays in 50 nothing matches per year plus a few big games which the club flop in. Fair enough he did well in a world cup final and lost with by far the best team in the tournament around him

90 + 5min

Have you watched yesterday's PSG - Bayern?
Yes I did and I guess you also noticed what kind of team Bayern Munchen is. Nobody is saying he is bad player. Just that he isn't worth that much.

Interesting opinion. Did you not rate his performance in WC final?
As I said to guy/girl above. He isn't bad player. He isn't just worth that much in my opinion.

When it comes to WC, great game from him after 75 min. Until he scored first goal he was, to put it kindly, not good. You got Messi playing brilliant football through whole game and lifting trophy. However, we can't look at one game. I always stated, until he proves himself in bigger league there will always be question mark about his "real" quality.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
If the figures that came out are true, he's not worth it and never will. Nobody is, or was, ever. Messi's last Barcelona deal was a catastrophe as well, and it was Messi 2 of those years were in his prime still. And he didn't come close to being worth that

But yeah, Mbappé isn't the poster boy for anything. He's a professional, he was under immense internal pressure(the fecking president of his country called him to ask him to stay in France), and the offer was quite simply too good to pass up. Let's be real, nobody in his shoes would have made a different choice

KeanoMagicHat

To be fair, Mbappe is from Paris.
He should leave the city he grew up in where he’s a hero to many Parisiens from the banlieue and a national hero to test himself and join his boyhood club *checks notes* Real Madrid. Yeah that makes sense, such a challenge there. PSG are so dysfunctional that winning the CL with them for the first time would be more difficult and significant than piggybacking on another Real Madrid win.