Has political correctness actually gone mad?

Conor

Again, this sounds exactly like the people wanting to shout faggot at people. Originally it was a homophobic [misogynistic] slur, but it has evolved to be sexually [gender] neutral and now is describing a set of behaviours.
As mentioned by a few others, I don't think the words are remotely comparable.

NotThatSoph

t
Cnut has always been aimed at men and women. Faggot has its origins as in insult exclusively aimed at gay men. And remains primarily used in this way.

You’re making a terrible comparison.

“Exactly like”. Good one.
This is so blatantly untrue that I struggle to believe you're serious.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Of course I’m serious.

I’ve no idea where you’re from (or how old you are) but I can tell you with absolute certainty that cnut is just as likely to be used to describe a man as a women in the UK and Ireland (bear in mind this is an Irish owned website about a UK football club) and this has been the case for decades.

If anything, it’s more often used to describe men than women.

“blatantly untrue”. Another good one. You’re on a roll here.

EDIT: In case another cultural reference goes soaring over your head, that’s one of the most famous sketches in the history of British comedy.

Last edited:

Halftrack

Cambridge Dictionary:

Calling somebody a cnut for the reasons @Trequarista10 explained equals hatred of women now? If not, what is this discussion all about?
This is like when some melt goes "you calling me an idiot?" when you call something they said idiotic. It's perfectly possible to say or do something that appears misogynistic without hating women. Some people use fag or faggot as generic insults, not really seeing them as homophobic slurs. The problem is that they're still used as such, so you risk inadvertently causing upset or offence by throwing them around indiscriminately. You intentions mean jack shit when you're using a word you know is still used as a slur.

Now, I wouldn't say cnut is at that level. I'm well aware of its ststus as a generic, gender-neutral insult in the UK (or term of endearment if you're Australian.) Still, in other English speaking countries, it's still considered a pretty vile thing to call someone, especially a woman. One of these is the US, and their cultural footprint is a lot larger than the UKs. Naturally, then, a lot of people will read the word like an American would, rather than a Brit. This being an internet forum, with members from all over the globe, questions are going to be asked when you refer to a woman reporting harassment as a "cnut that ran crying to the police." It looks bad, and warrants an explanation.

Energy here is similar to "saying Lukaku has a big dick is a compliment, how can it be racist?" It's willful ignorance, plain snd simple. Anyone with half a brain understands how or why these things are or can be problematic.

NotThatSoph

Of course I’m serious.

I’ve no idea where you’re from (or how old you are) but I can tell you with absolute certainty that cnut is just as likely to be used to describe a man as a women in the UK and Ireland (bear in mind this is an Irish owned website about a UK football club) and this has been the case for decades.

If anything, it’s more often used to describe men than women.

“blatantly untrue”. Another good one. You’re on a roll here.

EDIT: In case another cultural reference goes soaring over your head, that’s one of the most famous sketches in the history of British comedy.
No, I've seen that sketch thank you. I know you're a boomer, but the word is 800 year old at least, your personal experience doesn't make it all the way back there.

I know full well, of course, that cnut is used about men and women. Everyone knows that. I also know that it's primarily used by men about other men. There's a reason for that, namely the fact that it's so misogynistic when directed at women.

That a word is used about both men and women doesn't make it gender neutral, it can still be gender specific. When you call a man a cnut you're saying something different than when you call a woman a cnut, especially if you're a man. Bitch is another example; a man is a coward, a woman is difficult, nagging, etc. Faggot when directed at a straight person means something different than when directed at a gay person. Most people who use faggot as a generic insult would think twice about directing it at a gay person for that very reason.

Dante

Average bang
t

If anything, it's used on men more than women.

I use the word a lot and almost always to men. Often, it's a term of endearment rather than an insult.

If you don't mind my asking, where are you from/which dialect of English do you speak?

I say with a moderate degree certainty that in Northern England, urban London, Scotland, Ireland, Wales and Australia it's a word that's used primarily for men. The closest analogue in North America is 'motherfecker' (which is relatively rarely used here).

NotThatSoph

If anything, it's used on men more than women.

I use the word a lot and almost always to men. Often, it's a term of endearment rather than an insult.

If you don't mind my asking, where are you from/which dialect of English do you speak?

I say with a moderate degree certainty that in Northern England, urban London, Scotland, Ireland, Wales and Australia it's a word that's used primarily for men. The closest analogue in North America is 'motherfecker' (which is relatively rarely used here).
I touched on this in the comment I just wrote above. You're using it primarily about men because the word generally means something else when it's used about men than about women.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
If not the word cnut, how may we insult women then? How may I insult Marjorie Taylor Greene?

Dante

Average bang
I touched on this in the comment I just wrote above. You're using it primarily about men because the word generally means something else when it's used about men than about women.
It means the same thing as 'prat'. It doesn't mean something different when direct at a man versus a woman.

If I call a woman an 'idiot' it's not because I think that her gender makes her intellectually inferior.

You're attributing symbolism to a word that doesn't carry any.,

Halftrack

If not the word cnut, how may we insult women then? How may I insult Marjorie Taylor Greene?
Given how precious you got when I jokingly agreed with the sentiment that white men are bullshit, I would think you'd understand perfectly well how calling a woman a cnut can be a bad look.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Given how precious you got when I jokingly agreed with the sentiment that white men are bullshit, I would think you'd understand perfectly well how calling a woman a cnut can be a bad look.
Why don't you answer my question instead.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
This is like when some melt goes "you calling me an idiot?" when you call something they said idiotic. It's perfectly possible to say or do something that appears misogynistic without hating women. Some people use fag or faggot as generic insults, not really seeing them as homophobic slurs. The problem is that they're still used as such, so you risk inadvertently causing upset or offence by throwing them around indiscriminately. You intentions mean jack shit when you're using a word you know is still used as a slur.

Now, I wouldn't say cnut is at that level. I'm well aware of its ststus as a generic, gender-neutral insult in the UK (or term of endearment if you're Australian.) Still, in other English speaking countries, it's still considered a pretty vile thing to call someone, especially a woman. One of these is the US, and their cultural footprint is a lot larger than the UKs. Naturally, then, a lot of people will read the word like an American would, rather than a Brit. This being an internet forum, with members from all over the globe, questions are going to be asked when you refer to a woman reporting harassment as a "cnut that ran crying to the police." It looks bad, and warrants an explanation.

Energy here is similar to "saying Lukaku has a big dick is a compliment, how can it be racist?" It's willful ignorance, plain snd simple. Anyone with half a brain understands how or why these things are or can be problematic.
So tell me then, what word may we use to insult Marjorie Taylor Greene? The word cnut is misogynistic, right? So what other insult may we use?

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Astonishing what this "nothing to do with misogyny" thingy has developed into.

Last edited:

Halftrack

So tell me then, what word may we use to insult Marjorie Taylor Greene? The word cnut is misogynistic, right? So what other insult may we use?
I suggest VorZakone, seems an apt insult for someone engaging in bad faith bullshit, willful ignorance and who only cares about bigotry against society's most privileged.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I suggest VorZakone, seems an apt insult for someone engaging in bad faith bullshit, willful ignorance and who only cares about bigotry against society's most privileged.
Ehhh...what are you talking about?

hobbers

Ive gone into detail about how hard it is get a conviction for harassment. Go back and read it
I'm not disputing that, I'm sure it is. And I obviously don't know what this guy actually did or whether or not it warranted a charge and conviction for harassment.

But the point is she wasn't labelled a naughty word because she reported him for harassment, she was labelled a naughty word because, as it then transpired from the story and completely separate from reporting harassment, she had behaved like a horrible manipulative sociopath. And it is absolutely a-ok and not remotely misogynistic to call those sorts of people cnuts, whatever their anatomy.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I'm genuinely not even taking the piss here, that is not my intent anyway, let's get that straight. If the word cnut is misogynistic, then what word may we use to insult Marjorie Taylor Greene? I'm genuinely curious.

NotThatSoph

I'm genuinely not even taking the piss here, that is not my intent. If the word cnut is misogynistic, then what word may we use to insult Marjorie Taylor Greene? I'm genuinely curious.
Do you not know any other words? This is me genuinely not taking the piss, I don't understand how you can ask the question.

Call her a dangerous racist piece of shit. Motherfecker. Clown. Jackass. Apefecker. Scum. Republican. We could keep going for hours.

Moby

Dick
Do you not know any other words? This is me genuinely not taking the piss, I don't understand how you can ask the question.

Call her a dangerous racist piece of shit. Motherfecker. Clown. Jackass. Apefecker. Scum. Republican. We could keep going for hours.
So basically everyone should use the vile language you approve of. :lol: GTFO!

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?

Thanks for answering.

@calodo2003 yes, it is a no-no.

We should only call men ‘cnuts’ now?

Referring to Lauren Boebert & Marjorie Taylor Greene as cnuts is a no-no?

NotThatSoph

So basically everyone should use the vile language you approve of. :lol: GTFO!
Yes. Me giving examples of insults to someone asking for examples of insults is me ordering people to use the vile language I approve of. You are very smart, good at thinking and reading, and I hope you continue replying to my comments.

Moby

Dick
Yes. Me giving examples of insults to someone asking for examples of insults is me ordering people to use the vile language I approve of. You are very smart, good at thinking and reading, and I hope you continue replying to my comments.
Yeah posts like these aren't doing anything to stop people from calling others cnuts. :lol:

NotThatSoph

Yeah posts like these aren't doing anything to stop people from calling others cnuts. :lol:
I'm not trying to stop people from calling others cnuts. I'm not your mother and I don't care what you do.

You're annoying, I'm blocking you so I don't have to see your comments. Just letting you know as a courtesy so you don't waste time talking to me, I won't see it.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
You are very smart, good at thinking and reading, and I hope you continue replying to my comments.
We might be struggling to put together a definition that can please everyone here, but this is a textbook example of being a cnut we can build around. Solid work.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I’ve read the posts above and I still don’t under why “cnut” is misogynistic?
Because the speechpolice has decided that female gendered insults are expressions of hatred and contempt of women regardless of the context or intent that they are used. Historically it's probably true that they were created out of misogyny.

Last edited: