Has political correctness actually gone mad?

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Or people could just understand the incredibly easily comphrensive context instead of going ballistic over nothing.
Sure, equally it's somewhat odd he had to literally spell it out. Or the country could change the spelling of it's name.

, Nottingham, United Kingdom, 1 day ago
Why isn't the actual country spelt that way then? No problem then

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Jippy

Staff
TIL how to correctly pronounce Niger. Always thought it was pronounced “Nyj-uhr”. You live and learn.
I thought it was Nee-jer, which I think is just a different spelling of the teacher's version. An old colleague's half-sister was half-Nigerien, is the only reason I know, although it was probably a French colony, which would explain the pronunciation.

Withnail

Surely this would all have been easily avoidable if the teacher just said 'it's pronounced like this, not like the offensive word'.

Geography teacher faces investigation for using N-word while explaining pronunciation of the country Niger

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ord-speaking-pronunciation-country-Niger.html
There was absolutely no need to say the offensive word out loud. Seems a very strange thing to do.

This came up a few times in school with my various geography teachers back in the 80s/90s. None of them felt the need to do that.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
There was absolutely no need to say the offensive word out loud. Seems a very strange thing to do.

This came up a few times in school with my various geography teachers back in the 80s/90s. None of them felt the need to do that.
Yeah have to agree with this. No need to use the n -word when you can use other words like trigger, bigger or digger to make the same point.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...ent-for-wanting-to-give-alms-to-the-oppressed

An 11-year-old primary school pupil was referred to the government’s controversial counter-radicalisation Prevent programme after a teacher mistook the word “alms” for “arms” during a classroom discussion.

The case has similarities to others that have hit the headlines including a nursery worker thinking a four-year-Muslim child had drawn a picture of his father with a cooker bomb when he was referring to a cucumber and a 10-year-old Muslim boy who misspelled the word “terraced” as “terrorist” to describe the kind of house he lived in.

Ladron de redcafe

Surely this would all have been easily avoidable if the teacher just said 'it's pronounced like this, not like the offensive word'.

Geography teacher faces investigation for using N-word while explaining pronunciation of the country Niger

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ord-speaking-pronunciation-country-Niger.html
I was just reading through this article and I think I agree. I'm not sure where the line is drawn regarding what's considered offensive, but a more sensitive and considerate approach would have been to do so without referencing the other word the way the teacher did.

I'm surprised something like that escalated to that extent, because it sounds a little too ridiculous to be of substance. 11 year olds radicalised and campaigning to provide arms to the oppressed is a little out there.

Jippy

Staff

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Yeah I've never been asked to partake in a 'whiteness' survey.

EDIT: So there's seven lines on the 'whiteness' survey and then a stack of backstory on the sexual assault issues plaguing the charity. tad sensationalist.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9739385/Oxfam-worker-says-feels-attack-white.html
Hmmm, yeah those sexual misconduct/abuse of power things occurring in an African country by Oxfam workers would definitely require that sort of 'training'.

Tarrou

its stuff like this that makes it hard to like the England team at times

the players are quite likeable these days but the fans are still cnuts

Classical Mechanic

its stuff like this that makes it hard to like the England team at times

the players are quite likeable these days but the fans are still cnuts
Some of the hardcore members are for sure. They're the ones that boo the national anthems and taking the knee. Thankfully with a larger crowd yesterday the boos for taking the knee were easily drowned out.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Seems like excellent fodder for right wingers to go crazy over even more, when they already have gone nuts over critical race theory stuff.

Don't you think left in america won't be able to counter this given the tip toeing around any perceived reform in name of diversity or social reform. What are your thoughts on effort by some to get African American vernacular English accepted as being as grammertically correct as standard one?

nimic

something nice
Scout
What are your thoughts on effort by some to get African American vernacular English accepted as being as grammertically correct as standard one?
In formal writing, or? It's already as grammatically correct as any other English dialect as a spoken vernacular. It also has rules and conventions like any other, despite some people's beliefs that it's basically a free-for-all.

Jippy

Staff
This guy must be making some serious dough if he's shelled out £175k on surgery.

British influencer who identifies as 'transracial' slams 'woke' backlash over latest eye surgery to appear more Korean - but admits their family stopped speaking to them following 18 operations to look like a K-pop star

'People are so quick to judge these days, it's fine to identify as 100 different genders, it's fine to identify as an alien if you want to, so why can't I identify as Korean?
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...ms-backlash-latest-surgery-appear-Korean.html

Withnail

someones setup a crowd-fund now to show the German girl that not all Brits are assholes, some are stupid too

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfun...g4i6TQrENmXrhJHMMIhC5ak8JiClcQD8iwZ0Bi3APsr9Q
That didn't go so well for poor Joel.

Someone dug up fairly innocent tweets about his own kids and has labelled him a nonce. Cue massive twitter pile on, someone even faked an xhamster profile that claimed he liked them 'the younger the better' and he's being memed to death with nonce-themed stuff.

He's had to put all of his socials on private.It's the maddest thing I've seen in a while.

hobbers

Ignoring the out of context and fake accounts, some of his actual posts are creepy as feck.

Taking photos of random women he sees out and about and uploading them with tags like "stunning lady spotted in cafe". Maybe not a pedo but ticks the stalky weirdo box.

But you do just have to laugh at the giant car crash that is social media.

Jippy

Staff
Ignoring the out of context and fake accounts, some of his actual posts are creepy as feck.

Taking photos of random women he sees out and about and uploading them with tags like "stunning lady spotted in cafe". Maybe not a pedo but ticks the stalky weirdo box.

:lol:That reminds me of a Goat thread on here.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
This guy must be making some serious dough if he's shelled out £175k on surgery.

British influencer who identifies as 'transracial' slams 'woke' backlash over latest eye surgery to appear more Korean - but admits their family stopped speaking to them following 18 operations to look like a K-pop star

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...ms-backlash-latest-surgery-appear-Korean.html
Is that all you get for $175K?

And I'd suspect that people who have gender identities other than CIS might be a bit miffed at him.

I'm sure people do identify as ethnicities or races other than purely their genetic makeup but I'd guess that would be normally be due to some sort of relationship with that culture or ethnicity e.g. an adopted kid raised in a family with a different ethnicity or race than their biological parents. Not some kid who loves K Pop to the point of (surely) requiring psychological help.

NotThatSoph

What a bizarre thing to do, I'd love to be a fly on the wall at that brainstorming meeting.

Withnail

That apparently was a joke as it was his wife in the photo. It wasn't a random woman.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I'm sure people do identify as ethnicities or races other than purely their genetic makeup but I'd guess that would be normally be due to some sort of relationship with that culture or ethnicity e.g. an adopted kid raised in a family with a different ethnicity or race than their biological parents.
The only problem in the whole thing is the self-identifying bit.

I definitely considered myself a Kiwi after living there for five years. In all of the ways I’d always felt constrained by the idea of being ‘British’, I felt an absolute kinship with New Zealand the place, and as a people. It wasn’t some huge adjustment. It’s not some outrageous shift of being in the way that assimilating into Japan obviously. But I’ve kept a flavour of the place in me. ‘She’ll be right’ is an attitude as well as a saying. I changed with it and now have a personality that’s changed for good.

What this person has done however, is conflate character and ethnicity. They are changing their face to look like someone of Korean ethnicity. Honestly I don’t know how it’s not regarded in the same way as non-racial Blackface is. I think I can stand by that as a comment. Like, just be Korean. Learn the language. Move there. Live a Korean life. There are thousands of white, black, whatever, Koreans. They don’t all look like BTS. To suggest the face makes them Korean is kind of racist in itself. I dont think you get to wrap that up as self-identifying and claim to be persecuted.