Has political correctness actually gone mad?

RochaRoja

Without googling, I thought it was the other way round? I.e the animals get no anaesthesia, which is why I thought many were against it.
“Humane slaughter” is a complete oxymoron. If these people cared about the rights of animals they wouldn’t eat them. It’s just a very thinly veiled vehicle for their Islamophobia.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
“Humane slaughter” is a complete oxymoron. If these people cared about the rights of animals they wouldn’t eat them. It’s just a very thinly veiled vehicle for their Islamophobia.
Have you first hand slaughtered animals with both a bolt gun or a knife to cut the throat? I have, and anyone that have will tell you what is the most humane.

I swear the Caf must have some fecking incubator somewhere, producing people like you to feed the machine.

RochaRoja

Degrees of humaneness in an inherently inhumane act are irrelevant. If you really care about the welfare of animals, you don’t kill or eat them.

If anybody thinks the Tommy Robinson lot are big into animal rights, they’re even dumber than I thought.

I swear the Caf must have some fecking incubator somewhere, producing people like you to feed the machine.
“The machine”? Got your tin hat, mate?

SwansonsTache

Degrees of humaneness in an inherently inhumane act are irrelevant. If you really care about the welfare of animals, you don’t kill or eat them.
The spiritiuality is strong in this one.

So, just for a second let us imagine that most people actually eat meat. Wouldn't it be great if the animals killed were done so in the most humanely way possible? Hopefully when you grow up you will realise that you can't actually force people to become vegan, but you will perhaps grasp that laws can be put in place to ensure that the slaughter is as humanely and pain free as possible.

And yeah, with the machine I totally meant some grand conspiracy.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

So, just for a second let us imagine that most people actually eat meat. Wouldn't it be great if the animals killed were done so in the most humanely way possible? Hopefully when you grow up you will realise that you can't actually force people to become vegan, but you will perhaps grasp that laws can be put in place to ensure that the slaughter is as humanely and pain free as possible.

It would also be great if the animals which were slaughtered led a humane life before the few seconds of their death that these people are so concerned about but the sad reality is that most of them, especially if we're talking about commercial farming where we get most of our food from, lead pretty terrible lives.

Have you been to any abattoirs by the way? They're horrific and put me right off meat. I very very rarely eat meat now because of the horror of commercial farming and the slaughter of these animals in these locations.

Yet the people who seem most offended by halal slaughter are not usually people who care generally about animal welfare and they're not exactly vegetarians/ making sure they're using products not tested on animals. They also generally seem to fit nicely with people who find problems with Islam/ Muslims generally. Funny coincidence.

I'd respect someone who was a vegan and criticised halal slaughter much more than I would with someone who criticises halal slaughter while chewing on their Danish bacon, caged hen eggs for breakfast and then a nice big steak for dinner. The hypocrisy is just a little too much to bear.

RochaRoja

I’m not a vegan and animal welfare is low on my list of concerns.

Just pointing out that the majority of anti-Halal people are massive hypocrites.

SwansonsTache

Yet the people who seem most offended by halal slaughter are not usually people who care generally about animal welfare and they're not exactly vegetarians/ making sure they're using products not tested on animals. They also generally seem to fit nicely with people who find problems with Islam/ Muslims generally. Funny coincidence.

I'd respect someone who was a vegan and criticised halal slaughter much more than I would with someone who criticises halal slaughter while chewing on their Danish bacon, caged hen eggs for breakfast and then a nice big steak for dinner. The hypocrisy is just a little too much to bear.
Seeing as how I've grown up on a farm and on several occasions have had to kill sheep by cutting their throat (we don't walk around with guns here) due to them breaking their legs or otherwise being injured beyond the point of saving while collecting them from the mountain, I do have some experience. And I can tell you right now, the throat slice is not as quick as you might think, and is done out of necessity. It isn't anything that should be done in a slaughterhouse where other methods are available. Even less so if not stunned.

This is real life stuff though, don't let it get in the way of your e-outrage.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Seeing as how I've grown up on a farm and on several occasions have had to kill sheep by cutting their throat (we don't walk around with guns here) due to them breaking their legs or otherwise being injured beyond the point of saving while collecting them from the mountain, I do have some experience. And I can tell you right now, the throat slice is not as quick as you might think, and is done out of necessity. It isn't anything that should be done in a slaughterhouse where other methods are available. Even less so if not stunned.

This is real life stuff though, don't let it get in the way of your e-outrage.
What does your upbringing have to do with anything? I specifically mentioned the horrors of commercial farming in my post, rather than smaller, individual farms. I also didn't make any statement on how quick or slow the throat slice is.

I'm pointing out the hypocrisy of those who hate halal slaughter while digging into Danish bacon for example, where, if I'm right (please correct me if you have alternative information), tens of thousands of piglets die daily in farms before they even reach the slaughterhouse? Are they really that interested in animal welfare>

Out of interest, where is the e-outrage? I am having a perfectly reasonable, normally toned conversation with you about my own personal views, with no shouting, insults or personal attacks.

Do you just want there to be outrage so you can slot it into your 'leftists getting outraged on the net' folder and dismiss the conversation out of hand?

SwansonsTache

I'm pointing out the hypocrisy of those who hate halal slaughter while digging into Danish bacon for example, where, if I'm right (please correct me if you have alternative information), tens of thousands of piglets die daily in farms before they even reach the slaughterhouse? Are they really that interested in animal welfare>
I really don't know. You should ask someone who is Danish.

My upbringing is relevant because I've seen and experienced the difference between a throat slice and the more humane ways. The fact that animals are slaughtered in a less humane way because of a fairytale naturally piss me off, and you don't have to be vegan to speak out about it.

And yes, industrialised meat production is a grim sight. I remember when we had this expose documentary on Norwegian tv about how our biggest chicken producer handled their chickens, people rightfully got outraged and made a big fuss, but guess what? The next day most of them went to the store and bought the 5$ chicken instead of the farm raised 15$ chicken, essentially using their purchasing power to make the decision for the poultry producers.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I really don't know. You should ask someone who is Danish.

My upbringing is relevant because I've seen and experienced the difference between a throat slice and the more humane ways. The fact that animals are slaughtered in a less humane way because of a fairytale naturally piss me off, and you don't have to be vegan to speak out about it.

And yes, industrialised meat production is a grim sight. I remember when we had this expose documentary on Norwegian tv about how our biggest chicken producer handled their chickens, people rightfully got outraged and made a big fuss, but guess what? The next day most of them went to the store and bought the 5$ chicken instead of the farm raised 15$ chicken, essentially using their purchasing power to make the decision for the poultry producers.
But it isn't just the Danish who eat Danish bacon, it is eaten all around the world and rightly famed for its taste, yet the conditions of the sows and piglets are terrible. Even assuming that their slaughter is completely 'humane', I'm not sure this makes up for the lives they lead. If we use a human life as an example, I'm not sure just how much I'd care about whether my death took 3 seconds or 15 if somebody had spent the 20 years of my life keeping me confined in a pen, cutting bits off my body, fattening me up and taking away my offspring, many of whom will die.

Again, I didn't say you had to be a vegan to speak out about it and I specifically emphasised the corporate farming, rather than individual smaller farms.

Well, then we're in full agreement. That is ultimately my point. Most people will end up buying the meat of animals raised in terrible conditions for months/ years yet will kick up a fuss and get outraged over the last few seconds of their lives. Not saying there isn't a problem there but seems rather like selective outrage if you ask me and not in keeping with their own consumer purchases.

SwansonsTache

But it isn't just the Danish who eat Danish bacon, it is eaten all around the world and rightly famed for its taste, yet the conditions of the sows and piglets are terrible. Even assuming that their slaughter is completely 'humane', I'm not sure this makes up for the lives they lead. If we use a human life as an example, I'm not sure just how much I'd care about whether my death took 3 seconds or 15 if somebody had spent the 20 years of my life keeping me confined in a pen, cutting bits off my body, fattening me up and taking away my offspring, many of whom will die.

Again, I didn't say you had to be a vegan to speak out about it and I specifically emphasised the corporate farming, rather than individual smaller farms.

Well, then we're in full agreement. That is ultimately my point. Most people will end up buying the meat of animals raised in terrible conditions for months/ years yet will kick up a fuss and get outraged over the last few seconds of their lives. Not saying there isn't a problem there but seems rather like selective outrage if you ask me and not in keeping with their own consumer purchases.
I think we stopped importing pigs from Denmark due to some disease they had a while back. But yeah, their industrial scale pig farming is infamous.

Eggs from caged chickens are as good as gone here, people simply stopped buying them, these days it is all free range. Chicken is still raised horribly though, a whole grilled chicken costing less than 5$ in a country with our cost level should tell it all about the conditions they are raised in.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Surely you'd then extend that to people who eat food or engage in any activity that caused an animal to suffer or die :confused:

See that toast you have for breakfast, how many animals do you think the combine harvester, used to cut the wheat to make the bread, killed?

Kopral Jono

If anybody thinks the Tommy Robinson lot are big into animal rights, they’re even dumber than I thought.

“The machine”? Got your tin hat, mate?
:lol:

I agree with you in that the anti-halal crowd are more often than not anti-Muslim bigots, but bolded is ridiculous. Surely eating an animal that's been killed by slicing its throat halal- or kosher-style is a million times more humane than eating an animal that's been killed by stabbing it two hundred times.

As always: it's not that black and white.

Spoony

The People's President
:lol:

I agree with you in that the anti-halal crowd are more often than not anti-Muslim bigots, but bolded is ridiculous. Surely eating an animal that's been killed by slicing its throat halal- or kosher-style is a million times more humane than eating an animal that's been killed by stabbing it two hundred times.

As always: it's not that black and white.

Folk ought to stop eating non organic chickens, my friend has a poultry farm and he and his family don't eat the damn things, not only are they fed crap but the treatment of the poultry is disgusting but heh everyone loves to complain yet they love KFC even more.

RochaRoja

Surely you'd then extend that to people who eat food or engage in any activity that caused an animal to suffer or die :confused:

See that toast you have for breakfast, how many animals do you think the combine harvester, used to cut the wheat to make the bread, killed?
Pretty much the dumbest comparison I’ve ever seen.

It’s the same idiotic logic that gun nuts use when they compare deaths caused by guns and cars despite the fact that only one exists for the sole purpose of killing.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Pretty much the dumbest comparison I’ve ever seen.

It’s the same idiotic logic that gun nuts use when they compare deaths caused by guns and cars despite the fact that only one exists for the sole purpose of killing.
Dumb, oh shit well I dont want to look dumb on the internet!

Good to know that an animal suffering as a consequence of convenience doesn't count though, thanks.

hobbers

If humans were not meant to eat animals they would not have been made to be so damn tasty.

Halftrack

The fact that animals are slaughtered in a less humane way because of a fairytale naturally piss me off, and you don't have to be vegan to speak out about it.
Stunning the animal is permissible, and is also how it's done in most western countries, usually through electronarcosis (bolt guns is frowned upon, as they may cause instant death, but they are used on cattle here in Norway).

I agree with the general point, though, that just slitting the animals throat and leaving it do bleed out in pain is barbaric.

Green_Red

Isn't there also an argument for humanely slaughtered meat is a better quality meat. Slicing the throat of an animal causes distress, which floods the muscle with adrenaline, causing the meat to be less tasty.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum

Man warned by Humberside police for liking anti-trans tweet.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/01/24/man-investigated-police-retweeting-transgender-limerick/
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-47005937

Humberside Police questioned a man for more than half an hour after he liked a Twitter post which was appearing to mock the transgender community.

Harry Miller said the formal investigation by the force was into his "thinking" and his reasons for liking the tweet, which was a limerick.

The former policeman said he faced 34 minutes of phone questions from a police constable after liking the post. The officer, Mr Miller claims, told him he was investigating a report of "hate speech" after an unnamed complainant contacted the force, reports Grimsby Live.

He spoke out about the probe on his own Twitter page and said: "Cop said he was in possession of 30 tweets by me. I asked if any contained criminal material. He said...No.

"I asked if any came close to being criminal...and he read me a limerick. Honestly. A limerick. A cop read me a limerick over the phone."
After telling the PC he did not write it, he reportedly said: "Ah. But you liked it and promoted it. It's not a crime, but it will be recorded as a hate incident."

Mr Miller said he does not live or work in the Humberside area and told how the conversation turned "incredibly sinister" as the officer tried to probe his "thinking."

He said: "The cop told me that he needed to speak with me because, even though I'd committed no crime whatsoever, he needed (and I quote) 'to check my THINKING!' Seriously. Honestly.
"Finally, he lectured me. Said, 'Sometimes, a woman's brain grows a man's body in the womb and that is what transgender is.' You can imagine my response...

"Lastly, he told me that I needed to watch my words more carefully or I was at risk of being sacked by the company for hate speech."

Mr Miller later told The Spectator the incident made him feel like a "criminal" - so much so he has now changed his Twitter username to Harry The Owl - Limerick Criminal.

He said: "I just find this all unbelievable and sinister. I've broken no law, the police don't suggest that I've done anything illegal.

"But here they are, investigating me for tweeting a limerick. It's mad, completely mad."

The incident has sparked his Twitter supporters to write a string of limericks and even the Police and Crime Commissioner for Humberside, Keith Hunter, has got involved.

Keith Hunter said: "The force has provided an explanation. I think it was a reasonably proportionate response to a report, following national guidance on such issues. U(You) r of course permitted to disagree."

Mr Miller, who believes "trans women are not women", is determined to continue sharing his views.
He said: "Free speech is a hill that we have to fight on.
"If we can't express ourselves freely within the law, none of the other rights we have mean anything."

A spokesman for Humberside Police said: "We take all reports of hate incident seriously and will always investigate and take proportionate action."

Sorry, I'm too boomer to work out how to embed the original tweet.
HR Diversity department trying to justify a salary or the thought police on their way?

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/01/24/man-investigated-police-retweeting-transgender-limerick/

Humberside Police questioned a man for more than half an hour after he liked a Twitter post which was appearing to mock the transgender community.

Harry Miller said the formal investigation ...

Mr Miller said he does not live or work in the Humberside area and told how the conversation turned "incredibly sinister" as the officer

HR Diversity department trying to justify a salary or the thought police on their way?
Well, true. But it's a disgusting poem he liked and promoted. It's truly a sinister piece of work - i would not call that literature.

I can understand the police's effort to try to educate him. In that sense, i consider it a nice try.

Halftrack

That man has an unhealthy obsession with trans people. Their existence really seems to bother him, going by his tweet history.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
It was a bit ridiculous until I read that he worked for the force. A member of the police probably shouldn’t be seen to be liking that sort of thing. Maybe it would’ve been better coming from his own colleagues though rather than the police in general.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
And if anyone should re-educate, it's the police.
I am not saying that should not.

Freedom of speech does not mean that you are free of someone trying to educate you, btw.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
It was a bit ridiculous until I read that he worked for the force. A member of the police probably shouldn’t be seen to be liking that sort of thing. Maybe it would’ve been better coming from his own colleagues though rather than the police in general.
This is the bit that makes it fine if you ask me. Be a bigot cnut all you want, just dont wear a badge then.

2 man midfield

I'm guessing he wasn't charged with anything? Sounds like they were just investigating complaints.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Why is it that the people who bang on about free speech the most nowadays are usually the ones who want to be sexist/racist/transphobic/homophobic without consequence?

2 man midfield

Why is it that the people who bang on about free speech the most nowadays are usually the ones who want to be sexist/racist/transphobic/homophobic without consequence?
Because most other people’s free speech goes unchallenged. It’s contentious opinions that draw the most flak, and in this day and age there’s none more contentious.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
30 tweets though. That sounds like a sustained thing. If I made 30 public statement insulting my white male neighbour I wouldn't be surprised if the police spoke to me about harassment laws.

Also a former british policeman, signed up to social media who only starts crying Orwell when his hate speech is checked says everything about the world we live in. Also his rhyme was really shit and really wasn't a limerick.

Limericks are more like this:

A gammon resembling a blister
On meeting a transwoman dissed her
He signed up to twitter
But only got bitter
When Big Brother changed to big sister.

I think that's right:
A /GAM/mon re/SEM/bling a BLIST/er
on /MEET/ing a /TRANS/woman /DISSED/ her
he /SIGNED/ up to /TWITT/er
and /ON/ly got /BITT/er
when /BIG/ brother /CHANGED/ to big /SIS/ter.