Has Ronaldo ruined his legacy for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bristol_Red_87

No doubt he is an incredibly self absorbed character.

I actually think he sat there watching Rashford bash the ball straight at Lloris for 85 minutes and thought "I could have had another hattrick tonight".

Not that I agree with his logic, but he's probably as low confidence wise as he's ever been and he probably doesn't understand how to channel his frustrations as he's not had to warm a bench for nearly 20 years.

That said, he's not a character we need at the club.

I've really admired ETH's resolve in his management of Ronaldo. It instills confidence and an understanding in the other players that you have to earn the right to play with zero exceptions.

90 + 5min

Looking back I'd rather him never returned even if that means we have to rely on the injury prone Twang because now I can't look at Ronaldo the same anymore. Sure he's always been arrogant but his abilities used to make up for it. You could say it's part of his charm, arrogant but top professional. Now he's fecking bad and doesn't want to admit it, guy is older than 90% of premier league and still thinks he needs to start every game. On top of performance issues, he keeps leaving matches early (disrespecting the manager).

Not to mention he also disrespected the club by bitching about not being in CL and wanting out even though he knew the state of the club before joining. It's the risk he took, which he got paid handsomely for and yet he has the audacity to be a spoilt old baby demanding CL football when no CL club wants him anyway. As far as I know, no one at United has ever disrespected him since his return. Even Ten Hag is still giving him chances.

I don't despise him but it's hard to see him as a club legend anymore. When he joined Real Madrid, at least we got money. Now he's not only draining money in salary but also stalling the progress of the squad as he's not suitable for Ten Hag tactics.
You can argue that if he left Juve for City, his legacy will also be ruined but at least he won't be our problem and City was going to win it with or without him anyway.
No.

He is (was) a great player and his contribution should not be thrown away by his recent behaviour. However, being a great player and great person are two different things.

atkar83

I already knew how little he cared about United when his documentary movie came out. I watched it to just to see some of his early years with SAF and those fun united teams and how they shaped him. Instead United got maybe 40 seconds in the movie and was basically a memo in the whole grand scheme of things for him, despite winning his first CL with us.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
He didn't really have as good a one as he'd like you to believe when he came back. His first stint with us was legendary but he doesn't care about us as much as he says, and it's very obvious. His return has been tainted for sure but it's not changed the overall picture too much.

AlPistacho

What we now hate about him is also what turned him into one of the top 2 greatest players of all time.

We've seen it before where lesser, but still great players, are either no longer good enough or become a burden to the system and then their ego becomes a hindrance as they can’t accept that they are no longer what they once were.

I thought yesterday was wrong and disrespectful of him, but think (maybe too positively) that it was him realising and accepting that he was no longer good enough to start.

If he looks at it and readjust his brain and thinks “ok I can’t help this team by being a regular starter, but as a sub and rotation player I could score important goals and also be that iconic figure for the players and a dressing room leader” then I’ll appreciate him greatly and he could still make a big difference especially as a sub with those last minute chances we create when it’s a draw or we’re losing.

RedDevil@84

Firstly I hardly ever associated Ronaldo as part of our legendary players like Rooney, Giggs, Scholes, Keano, Cantona etc etc. He is a Real Madrid legend primarily who had few excellent years with us. It is not because the numbers he did here were not phenomenal, but more of the fact that he spent his prime years doing ridiculous numbers for Real.

From an attitude or behavior point of view, I never expected him to behave any better. I mean he attained those silly numbers, because of that attitude. It has been obvious that he loves to break records and be the hero that everyone adores. This kind of "I am the best" attitude is what keeps him going. So I don't expect him to lose it or behave like an obedient child. It is the same with Zlatan or Jose Mourinho. The cockiness, deserved and undeserved, is part of what they are. They are not going to stop being like that, because they are no longer effective as before.

So overall, I don't hate/dislike Ronaldo in anyway, because he left early in a game or behaves like a child. If the team doesn't care and the manager doesn't care what Ronaldo does, then I don't care either. Media is gonna moan about one player or the other all the time.
But the numbers clearly show that we play faster, better and score more points when we play without him. So I hope ETH can see that and play him accordingly. If he has a problem with that, let him find a team that will pay for him. If not, tough luck.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Firstly I hardly ever associated Ronaldo as part of our legendary players like Rooney, Giggs, Scholes, Keano, Cantona etc etc. He is a Real Madrid legend primarily who had few excellent years with us. It is not because the numbers he did here were not phenomenal, but more of the fact that he spent his prime years doing ridiculous numbers for Real.

From an attitude or behavior point of view, I never expected him to behave any better. I mean he attained those silly numbers, because of that attitude. It has been obvious that he loves to break records and be the hero that everyone adores. This kind of "I am the best" attitude is what keeps him going. So I don't expect him to lose it or behave like an obedient child. It is the same with Zlatan or Jose Mourinho. The cockiness, deserved and undeserved, is part of what they are. They are not going to stop being like that, because they are no longer effective as before.

So overall, I don't hate/dislike Ronaldo in anyway, because he left early in a game or behaves like a child. If the team doesn't care and the manager doesn't care what Ronaldo does, then I don't care either. Media is gonna moan about one player or the other all the time.
But the numbers clearly show that we play faster, better and score more points when we play without him. So I hope ETH can see that and play him accordingly. If he has a problem with that, let him find a team that will pay for him. If not, tough luck.
I fully agree with your view regarding Ronaldo but lately I have been wondering about something when it comes to Ibrahimovic while he has the cockiness, arrogance and a bit of nastiness about him, I also think that he loves playing Football more than he loves being good at Football. Ronaldo seems miserable on a Football pitch unless everything goes his way.

Wing Attack Plan R

He still win all those trophies with us, but he’s a selfish prick. If he had stayed at United, how would our team have evolved and what dominance would we have shown? Instead he went to RM. we should have forgotten about him then, and bringing him back was a mistake.

joker00

Yes, since summer of 2009 when he put pressur on the club to let him go to Madrid.
It was a very decent legacy though, but not a United one, may be a RM legacy since his prime was there.
And for the fans who see in him a united legend, you're abusing Giggs, Cantona, Beckham and all the loyal ones, he is basically a FREELANCER.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Nah, the same way Ole didn't taint his legacy with us just because he was a bad manager. When I think of Ronaldo at United I'm going to think of the scorching winger that won titles before leaving for Madrid.

Was bringing him back a mistake? Eh I don't think so, we needed a striker at the time and he was still very good. I also think he was quite good last year for the most part, especially in the run in, on a god awful team that had way more issues than striker. But this summer should have been a wake up call for him, where he wanted to leave to a UCL club (which was fine, no one here was that desperate for him to stay given we are in full rebuild mode) but literally no club showed interest in him. Instead he skipped preseason, and has looked OLD since the start of the season.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
It clearly was a mistake to bring him back. A big expensive one.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
Ruined long ago, around the Macheda game for me.
We shouldn't have brought him back but we fell for him potentially signing for city which was never on the cards from their end.

binary bot
I never had the Ronaldo obsession after he left. Always thought it was pathetic how he was brought out for Fergie awards etc.

Irwin99

Legacy.
That's a fecking HUGE statement from ten Hag and the right one. We've seen instances of player power with every post SAF manager and this is quite the early statement that it wont be tolerated.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
His legacy is the same it's been for the last decade: an all-time great with a selfish attitude and an unlikeable personality.

PieCrust

His legacy was ruined when he forced his way to Madrid. Appreciate what he did for United, but was never a legend for me.

Mike Smalling

“I am a slave“ did a number on his legacy for me
This. Even before this season, his legacy wasn’t that great having thrown a hissy fit to leave the club and spend the best years of his career elsewhere.

Legends are the players who actually wanted to play for us.

Nick7

This. Even before this season, his legacy wasn’t that great having thrown a hissy fit to leave the club and spend the best years of his career elsewhere.

Legends are the players who actually wanted to play for us.
Yeah, his legacy is leaving Manchester United. Would be even worse if Terry hadn’t slipped too.

Seveneric

The whole "slave" nonsense when he initially transferred to Madrid already did that. Can't even bring myself to care much anymore. ETH will deal as he sees fit.

CM

He didn't really have as good a one as he'd like you to believe when he came back. His first stint with us was legendary but he doesn't care about us as much as he says, and it's very obvious. His return has been tainted for sure but it's not changed the overall picture too much.
I agree with this. The fanfare when he returned was massively over the top.

It was more about massaging Ronaldo's ego (and the commercial revenue for the owners) than doing anything meaningful for the club. That remains the case now.

LARulz

Still a legendary player but that doesn't mean he's not a prick

Time heals and as long as he doesn't bad mouth us most people (I imagine me too) will see his recent history in a less annoyed light

KeanoMagicHat

He was always a prick so I didn’t get caught up in the nostalgia on his return.

The post questioning Ronaldo’s transfer was one of the best ballsy posts/predictions ever made here. Shame it was deleted.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Leaves a sour taste in the mouth. Respect what he’s done for us before, but this season he’s shown himself not to be a team player.

He’s a selfish cnut. Get rid.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Ronaldo has never been worshipped by United fans. He's a Real legend and an utter cnut.
You sure about that?

Whereas Ronaldo to me, he is more of “religion” or even a “cult” thing to me, rather than just a hobby

hobbers

From his own ego's point of view he definitely has ruined his own legacy.

Agitated for a move in the summer, no one wanted him. Embarrassing.

Starts the season failing to hit a barn door, then gets nudged down to third in the pecking order behind Rashford and Martial, who themselves are woeful options for various reasons.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
We should lock him in the newbies. Which would unfair to on the newbie. But hey....
Bit harsh mate. It's never easy being forced to give up one of your hobbies through no fault of your own. Even if that hobby is Ronaldo.

Cantonagotmehere

Maybe it should, but no. I will never forget his great moments with United, and I am so glad we had last year with him performing well and my son got to see him in Red.

pogbasformerbarber

He’s on the edge. This is just pure disrespect.
I agree that he's close to tarnishing it. How he handles this incident is a tipping point IMHO. ETH has handled it perfectly in the press...explaining that there's bound to be frustration for a player like Ronaldo when he is not playing everyday anymore. So I can get behind a bit of a grace period for him to adjust to a manager and a situation that treats him equal to his current form. But, as I first mentioned...its right on the edge of tarnished at this point...

wr8_utd

:'(
He ruined it in the summers of 2006, 2007 and 2008. He's just cementing himself as someone a lot of people cannot stand. I never quite understood the majority of our fanbase becoming Ronaldo fanboys after how he treated the club that time and I won't be surprised if there's still a bunch of weirdos at OT who chant Viva Ronaldo even now.

Status
Not open for further replies.